Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No advertising for new FTP conversioin? I wondered why too, but this explains it.

popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Then I read what the DCUO community rep said and it made sense:

Radar X:

"We absolutely agree which is why you'll see DCUO in a few high profile advertising campaigns in the very near future.

We want to ensure everything is running smoothly.

The other factor to consider is advertising spots are a bit at a premium. There are a few other titles coming out in the same time frame you might have heard of."

The bit about "few other titles" coming out was key. Everyone knows that SWTOR hasn't even started it's media blitz yet, so they don't want to waste money this early.

Without an advertising warchest to keep your message out about your game, you have to strategically pick/choose your spots or you will get your game stepped on.

Comments

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by popinjay

Then I read what the DCUO community rep said and it made sense:

Radar X:

"We absolutely agree which is why you'll see DCUO in a few high profile advertising campaigns in the very near future.

We want to ensure everything is running smoothly.

The other factor to consider is advertising spots are a bit at a premium. There are a few other titles coming out in the same time frame you might have heard of."

The bit about "few other titles" coming out was key. Everyone knows that SWTOR hasn't even started it's media blitz yet, so they don't want to waste money this early.

Without an advertising warchest to keep your message out about your game, you have to strategically pick/choose your spots or you will get your game stepped on.

They are probably going to bank on word of mouth advertising and a few news points early on. That's probably all they will need to attract some people. OnRPG.com forum members are already setting up to get in on it already. So, I doubt they would need much of a media push this early.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

With FTP for DC Universe Online I wouldn't even mind them generating more money by putting in advertising in game if it lowers our cost if we want to buy stuff from the store from the game.  I know people are so against in game advertising but if it makes this FTP model I will totally support it.

Money is the root of all evil.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I think Turbine really set the standard in terms of F2P offerings.  I really did enjoy DCU and hope it gets the attention it deserves now that its been converted.

Overall, I think gamers were a bit hard on the game (there were issues) but it was a solid game overall.