Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfreakinbelievable

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Paithan

I seriously had to do a double take here... The information being provided doesn't make it fair? Ok. First off, when I was playing eq2, I was paying for expansions that brought forth most of the new races plus paying a monthly fee... So, it's fair if this guy just downloads the free game, pays for one month and gets everything? Let's also not forget that Sony is one of the only companies I've seen that lets you buy the latest expansion and get EVERY EXSPANSION THAT HAS EVER BEEN MADE. I would say that's pretty fair. This guy could have bought an old exspansion for about 15-20 bucks, got a month free pluss all of the races. Just because he didn't read what was provided doesn't make Sony a bad company.. People need to take responsibility for their fuck ups and not blame others.

^ high lighted the part that matters, pretty much this.

Problem is people are just eager to jump on the good oll bash SOE bandwagon and THINK they found something. 

No it's quite simple. If I pay a subscription for a game and do not recieve full access it's unfair. Period. The "You have to subscribe for a year" is a dick move. No more no less. Now Blizzard charging for each and every expansion to WoW plus a subscription is also a dick move and it costs them subscribers. The only people that get a pass on that is Guild Wars because they don't charge a subscription. It may be his fuck up but it's SOE's crap policy. They need to take responsibility for that and you need to stop being their apologist.

If the player can blame what he did on SOE, why can't SOE blame what they did on someone else?  Don't blame us, the consultant said to do it that way.  Then the consultant blames his mommy for not hugging him everyday.  Then the mother blames it on the husband who left her...

This is why we have to hold people accountable for their own choices.

He's not blaming them. He's saying they're dicks. They are. Is that hard to understand?

No, that's irrelevant.

He wants to play on the extended servers.  The extended servers aren't the same service as the live servers.  If he's not willing to play on the live servers, and instead wants to remain on the free to play ones that are an entirely seperate service and with an entirely diffierent pricing structure, that's not SoE's fault.

He can get exactly what he wants, he just doesn't want to play on the servers that provide it for 15 a month.  Or he could just spend 7.50 ONCE and do exactly what he wants; which is cheaper then subbing to the game.

His complaint isn't valid, and that is his fault.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by Uhwop

I seriously had to do a double take here... The information being provided doesn't make it fair? Ok. First off, when I was playing eq2, I was paying for expansions that brought forth most of the new races plus paying a monthly fee... So, it's fair if this guy just downloads the free game, pays for one month and gets everything? Let's also not forget that Sony is one of the only companies I've seen that lets you buy the latest expansion and get EVERY EXSPANSION THAT HAS EVER BEEN MADE. I would say that's pretty fair. This guy could have bought an old exspansion for about 15-20 bucks, got a month free pluss all of the races. Just because he didn't read what was provided doesn't make Sony a bad company.. People need to take responsibility for their fuck ups and not blame others.

Problem is people are just eager to jump on the good oll bash SOE bandwagon and THINK they found something. 

No it's quite simple. If I pay a subscription for a game and do not recieve full access it's unfair. Period. The "You have to subscribe for a year" is a dick move. No more no less. Now Blizzard charging for each and every expansion to WoW plus a subscription is also a dick move and it costs them subscribers. The only people that get a pass on that is Guild Wars because they don't charge a subscription. It may be his fuck up but it's SOE's crap policy. They need to take responsibility for that and you need to stop being their apologist.

If the player can blame what he did on SOE, why can't SOE blame what they did on someone else?  Don't blame us, the consultant said to do it that way.  Then the consultant blames his mommy for not hugging him everyday.  Then the mother blames it on the husband who left her...

He's not blaming them. He's saying they're dicks. They are. Is that hard to understand?

No, that's irrelevant.

He wants to play on the extended servers.  The extended servers aren't the same service as the live servers.  If he's not willing to play on the live servers, and instead wants to remain on the free to play ones that are an entirely seperate service and with an entirely diffierent pricing structure, that's not SoE's fault.

He can get exactly what he wants, he just doesn't want to play on the servers that provide it for 15 a month.  Or he could just spend 7.50 ONCE and do exactly what he wants; which is cheaper then subbing to the game.

Yet, if he pays subscription for other non-SOE games, he gets full access to everything, except expansions in some games...some games even give the expansions for free to subscribers...SOE is just greedy.

Edit: And SOE won't give refunds for anything.  Back when SWG was messed up by SOE, I wanted a refund for the expansion that I just about 2 weeks earlier, and the 6 month subscription I paid for...they didn't even respond to my e-mail...BBB got a nice email for me though, and they responded back at least.  SOE has a horrible reputation and anyone who knows better stays away from them.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

OKey.. he is calling them dicks because they gave him precisely what they promised, he is calling them dicks because HE didnt bother to read what he would get. Same thing.

IT was his own fault.

It's his fault for not realizing they were dicks and reading carefully. It's SOE's fault they're dicks. Put the blame where it lies. all of it. Not just on him.

Theres no carefull reading needed, its very clearly stated. That and it kinna makes sense to wanna know what a subscription gets you.

Originally posted by Gravarg

Yet, if he pays subscription for other non-SOE games, he gets full access to everything, except expansions in some games...some games even give the expansions for free to subscribers...SOE is just greedy.

This is relevant to the topic how?

Not to mention, if you're going to call out SoE as greedy you really should list all those other companies that charge for expansions that you admitted to. 

No, that's irrelevant.

Edit: And SOE won't give refunds for anything.  Back when SWG was messed up by SOE, I wanted a refund for the expansion that I just about 2 weeks earlier, and the 6 month subscription I paid for...they didn't even respond to my e-mail...BBB got a nice email for me though, and they responded back at least.  SOE has a horrible reputation and anyone who knows better stays away from them.

I know you are just trolling but ok.

His subscription Does gives him full access to everything on the eq2 life servers , he desided to play on the Eq2X version of the game, where they clearly state what he does and doesnt get. Its not SOE being greedy, its the OP making a stupid mistake.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

lol jesus you guys!

ok since its pretty far into the thread and some people dont want to go back and check my other replies.

i bought the monthly sub (gold membership) through the game's cash shop.  on the SC in the game itself.  IN THE GAME all your choices are GOLD and SILVER.

so seeing only those two options i thought "HEY! gold membership is the same as subbing to the game monthly!!!! ill get al the classes/race then!"  on the SC IN THE GAME it says NOTHING about the race restrictions.

so i did it, bam im gold member and i log to make my troll, and i cant.

so after relogging a few times and relizing it isnt changing i went to the site and THEN found out that you have to sub for a year to get the races which is bullshit because they dont state it in the game when you upgrade your account.

i chose the f2p server because it is wayyyy more populated then the live servers at the level i wanted to play. so for all of you saying i didnt research, yeah you right in a sense.  if they actually listed what the fuck you are subbing to in the game in their precious SC then maybe this wouldnt of happened.

So its fucked that soe decides to make their upgrade plans IN THE GAME very very vague.

Not to mention, if you're going to call out SoE as greedy you really should list all those other companies that charge for expansions that you admitted to. 

It's relevant because SOE is the only company that operates in this highway robbery fashion.

Lord of the Rings Online gives you access to all zones, races, classes, etc. (except shop exclusive items) as long as you have the expansions that added them. (primarily Mines of Moria for the Warden and Runekeeper).  I have a lifetime subscription to lotro, and havent' had to spend a single penny on the game since.  I can save up my monthly allowance and buy everything that is "shop exclusive".  I even got Rise of Isengard for free, since I saved up my Turbine points to buy it.  It's a much more fair business model.

Dungeons & Dragons Online has a similar sF2P set up like Lord of the Rings Online.  Not suprising since they're both Turbine games.

Guild Wars doesn't have a subscription at all, but once you buy the game you have access to the world for free...Easily the best bang for your buck.

Guild Wars 2 is supposedly going to have the same business model as Guild Wars.

Age of Conan Unchained gives you access to all zones, classes, races, dungeons, and everything with a subscription.  Better yet, after making your character if you don't pay a month subscription, you can still play your characters.

City of Heroes Freedom gives you access to everything if you subscribe, including expansions you didn't even buy.

There's plenty more games that are F2P with models like EQ2x that if you pay a subscription you get access to everything, but I think I got the point across.

Edit: And I know that if you plays on the life severs it's all available to him, but who wants to play on a half-empty server when you can play on a server that is always Full.

It's relevant because SOE is the only company that operates in this highway robbery fashion.

Lord of the Rings Online gives you access to all zones, races, classes, etc. (except shop exclusive items) as long as you have the expansions that added them. (primarily Mines of Moria for the Warden and Runekeeper).  I have a lifetime subscription to lotro, and havent' had to spend a single penny on the game since.  I can save up my monthly allowance and buy everything that is "shop exclusive".  I even got Rise of Isengard for free, since I saved up my Turbine points to buy it.  It's a much more fair business model.

Dungeons & Dragons Online has a similar sF2P set up like Lord of the Rings Online.  Not suprising since they're both Turbine games.

Guild Wars doesn't have a subscription at all, but once you buy the game you have access to the world for free...Easily the best bang for your buck.

Guild Wars 2 is supposedly going to have the same business model as Guild Wars.

Age of Conan Unchained gives you access to all zones, classes, races, dungeons, and everything with a subscription.  Better yet, after making your character if you don't pay a month subscription, you can still play your characters.

City of Heroes Freedom gives you access to everything if you subscribe, including expansions you didn't even buy.

There's plenty more games that are F2P with models like EQ2x that if you pay a subscription you get access to everything, but I think I got the point across.

Edit: And I know that if you plays on the life severs it's all available to him, but who wants to play on a half-empty server when you can play on a server that is always Full. 

And what you say is down right wrong.

The subscritpion for Eq2X also gives you the equivelent subscription to Eq2 Life, the actual game, where you DO have access to everything, except for some useless fluff.

So you acknowlage you DO get everything, if you deside to play on the Eq2X servers, it was your OWN choice to take the restrictions.

you don't get races...which is what he's complaining about.

I know reading is hard.. on the Eq2 life servers you DO get the races.

EQ2x isn't the same as EQ2live.  They're two seperate services.

One is free to play and requires you to purchase some content, just like city of heroes; which is if you didn't put any considerable amount of time in, you'll be spending plenty of money to get stuff.  Plus you have to pay for the expansions in CoH, they don't give them away.  I can't do the going rogue or any new zone, no matter how much I play or unlock.  I can't use IO's unless I pay for a lisence, and it's only for 30 days, after day 30 I have to pay again. 

EQ2live is your standard mmo subscription model.

Companies are switchng to F2P for one reason and one reason only.  They make more money then if it was subscription based.  Don't act like NCsoft is doing F2P cause they want to be nice to us, that would be naive; it has everything to do with making more money.

You only call SoE greedy though?  No sir, every company is greedy, if they weren't they'd be nonprofit.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Gravarg you are wrong about DDO you do not get all the races even if you sub. You cannot get dark elf or warforged and you cannot get certain classes either like favored soul or artificer. Those have to be bought with points.

Can you play a runemaster and warden without buying Mines of Moria in LotRO. Everquest 2 extended gives the expansions for free you do not have to buy them. 

You guys just insist on not actually comparing them equally you are just jumping on the bad things. You forget that every expansion in Everquest 2 is given with the purchase of the last expansion and you can play everything you want on the live for that . The Extended only restricts races but does not expect you to buy any expansion.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by kitarad

Gravarg you are wrong about DDO you do not get all the races even if you sub. You cannot get dark elf or warforged and you cannot get certain classes either like favored soul or artificer. Those have to be bought with points.

kitarad, the only race a DDO subscriber doesn't get off the bat is Drow Elf. It only takes 400 favor, which are earned by doing quest, to unlock Drow - it was like this before DDO went f2p. 400 favor is earned by about level 10. Warforged, Half-Orc, Half-Elf, and every other race is given automatically.

Favored soul and artificers can be bought or earned through favor. Favor is not DDO points. Its like faction.

Well the same argument can be made for the races in EQ 2 it cost almost nothing just like the points in DDO. Is it not misleading to claim no one does what SOE is doing when Turbine is for a sub doing the same thing. Just favor just points or just $3.50. It is not given when you sub which is the point.

Not to forget that EQ 2 has way way more races than either LotRO or DDO.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Originally posted by Complication

lol jesus you guys!

ok since its pretty far into the thread and some people dont want to go back and check my other replies.

i bought the monthly sub (gold membership) through the game's cash shop.  on the SC in the game itself.  IN THE GAME all your choices are GOLD and SILVER.

so seeing only those two options i thought "HEY! gold membership is the same as subbing to the game monthly!!!! ill get al the classes/race then!"  on the SC IN THE GAME it says NOTHING about the race restrictions.

so after relogging a few times and relizing it isnt changing i went to the site and THEN found out that you have to sub for a year to get the races which is bullshit because they dont state it in the game when you upgrade your account.

i chose the f2p server because it is wayyyy more populated then the live servers at the level i wanted to play. so for all of you saying i didnt research, yeah you right in a sense.  if they actually listed what the fuck you are subbing to in the game in their precious SC then maybe this wouldnt of happened.

So its fucked that soe decides to make their upgrade plans IN THE GAME very very vague.

Yep, it is vague in game and you hit the one wall EQ2X gold package runs into when compared to Live.  You don't have to pay the Plat packag to get your Troll race though.  If it's worth the $7.50 buy the race pack and play on the X server.

That is the other thing what is this nonsense about subbing a year when he can buy the race pack. Why make these hysterical claims about subbing for a whole year to get the race ?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by kitarad

Well the same argument can be made for the races in EQ 2 it cost almost nothing just like the points in DDO. Is it not msileading to claim no one does what SOE is doing when Turbine is for a sub.

Turbine does not restrict a subscriber to 4 races - how can you say its the same?

It restricts one that was NEVER free. It always took 400 favor on DAY 1 back in 2006 when they released the Drow. Favor is not Turbine points, which you seem to think it is. Favor is like faction earned through quest. Turbine points are bought with cash.

This has to be a recent change for SOE. I do not remeber it being this way - unlike Turbine who never offered Drow as playable until 400 favor is earned.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

I just love reading all the "I assume" and "I would think.." stuff.  In life dont' assume anything without reading.

Does Turbine have more than 4 races in LotRO ? Hmm Hobbit,man,dwarf and elf. God if they restricted race that is a 25% of their content.

Originally posted by Aelious

Originally posted by Complication

lol jesus you guys!

Yep, it is vague in game and you hit the one wall EQ2X gold package runs into when compared to Live.  You don't have to pay the Plat packag to get your Troll race though.  If it's worth the $7.50 buy the race pack and play on the X server.

Looks like the OP wants to go for round 2, its vague because he didnt bother to read what a sub actually offers.

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview

Copy pasted the top few since his complaint was the races. Its very very clear it only offerfs 4.

Extended Membership Information

EverQuest® II Extended Membership Plans

Account Membership & Price(plus applicable taxes)

BRONZE*FREE

SILVER*1,000 SC Upgrade ($10.00 one time purchase)

imageGOLD*$14.99 USD/month (recurring Membership)

PLATINUM*$199.99 USD/year (recurring Membership not available at beta launch)

Station Cash™

Purchasable

Purchasable

Purchasable

500 SC/Month & Purchasable

Content Access

EverQuest II Sentinal's Fate™(base game, 6 expansion packs and 3 adventure packs)

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access

Plus Destiny of Velious

Player Character Races

Four Races2(remaining purchasable)

Full Access

He claims it is not clear in game that the races are restricted when he subbed he subbed in game. He never read the site and its explanation.

Is this true is there no way to know the 4 race restriction in game when you sub ?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

He stated very clearly that he was in-game when the misunderstanding occured, not on the webpage.  If you are in the EQ2X game, bring up the SC window and look at the "purchasable" items for gold and silver membership he's saying it didn't state clearly that he would not get all races.

That's what he's saying.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I'm surprised there are so many replies to this thread.

Side 1: despite that the info was readily available about what the OP was buying, SOE sucks and this policy sucks and his complaint is legit and SOE should accomodate him or else they suck even more.

Side 2: OP is at fault because he should have researched what he was buying because it would have taken 10 seconds, thus regardless if the policy is stupid and regardless if the subscription plan is stupid, OP is still in the wrong and should admit it.

Am I the only one who sees that (a) both sides have some degree of merit, (b) that no one is going to switch from one side to the other no matter what anyone else says, and (c) that not every "discussion" such as this discussion has a right answer that everyone should agree on.

"Side 2" argument is based in logic. "Side 1" is based on emotion. There is nothing to reconcile here. The discussion was over before it began.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Looks like the OP wants to go for round 2, its vague because he didnt bother to read what a sub actually offers.

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview

Copy pasted the top few since his complaint was the races. Its very very clear it only offerfs 4.

Extended Membership Information

EverQuest® II Extended Membership Plans

Account Membership & Price(plus applicable taxes)

BRONZE*FREE

SILVER*1,000 SC Upgrade ($10.00 one time purchase)

imageGOLD*$14.99 USD/month (recurring Membership)

PLATINUM*$199.99 USD/year (recurring Membership not available at beta launch)

Station Cash™

Purchasable

Purchasable

Purchasable

500 SC/Month & Purchasable

Content Access

EverQuest II Sentinal's Fate™(base game, 6 expansion packs and 3 adventure packs)

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access

Plus Destiny of Velious

Player Character Races

Full Access

Yes he could have bothered to read the info and he most definitely should have.

At the same time I seriously doubt he could have possibly suspected such a rediculous business plan could be applied to any mmorpg.  After all is it not common with the F2P genre that once you begin the general sub model you get most of the game unlocked including races and classes? 

Thats a completely understandable assumption to make.  

Whats boggling to me here, is they really expect people to pay 200 bucks to unlock the full game for....EVERQUEST 2 ?  Seriously.  Everquest 2?  How old is this game anyways?  Do they mail you some caviar and crackers as a thank you?  They should.  Sheesh.  Really.  200 freakin bucks for a full game unlock.  Thats one of the most rediculous things Ive heard in awhile.  Thats worse than even....Pandas.....I mean....really though. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if you just play on the regular server(s) you still get the whole ball of wax for the plain monthly sub cost.  (AB is still crowded)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins