Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfreakinbelievable

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    I'm going to agree with OP and state that this sucks. I would expect a freemium game to offer everything to subscribers, no matter how long they plan to sub for.

Also, there is a lesson to be learned here for everyone. Not all Freemium setups are created equal. Do your homework for each individual game before throwing down the cash.

This is a marketing issue, not SOE being evil or anything. They stated they do this to differentiate the X from the live servers. If you allow all races and everything unlocked for a subscription on X then that makes live servers obsolete and nothing different about them. Because they went F2P server they had to market it in a way that made the two flavors stand apart. Think about it. It allowed them to continue offering subscriptions on live for the real players interested in the games full potential and made the X server for everyone interested in playing for free with some options to gold status with a sub.

It has nothing to do with greed but making your product work for different peoples style of play, while keeping your product alive.

That said, I am not an EQ2 player since earlier this year. I think EQ2 is way to easy, carebear quality and you get everything handed to you. The game is so simple and leveling to max within a couple weeks is way to easy. The game is just to poor quality now, but the first year it opened it was really fun and exciting.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by cheyane

It is the same with Dungeons and Dragons Online from Turbine. I am subebd but I cannot play a dark elf or warforged race unless I unlock the races with points or play a Favoured Soul or the Artificer class without buying points and using the points to unlock it. It is not only EQ 2 that does it.

Except that EQ2 doesn't do this.

D&D online has only the one service.

EQ2 has two seperate services.  Extended is not the same as the live game.  The live game has no restrictions, if you already purchasd the game, and I supposed if you purchase it still, you can sub to the live service and get full access. 

Only extended is the same, but again, it's an entirely seperate service.

It's not very cleare unless you read the FAQ.  SoE should do a better job of pointing out they offer two game services for a single game.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

The reason for that is simple the people on the live server bought every box the people on extended have not. So think clearly how bad is it for the live server where every subbed player has paid full price for the game to be at par with those in extended who never buys the game. Naturally they cannot be the same so SOE created these restrictions on race and that is about the only restriction there is currently.

This is not a game that started out F2P this is a game that has two distinct types of servers and they have to balance the two. Yes you enjoy the better population on the extended at the price of the lesser available races while those on live have an older and smaller population to contend with.

OP should not have assumed every F2P is the same.

Chamber of Chains
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Jimmac

I don't really follow SOE or EQ2 anymore. Can someone explain why anyone would sub to the freemium server instead of the real servers?

EQ2x servers have a healthier lower tier population available atm than the live servers do. Also subbing to just their silver plan really is very affordable. You can still level to 90 buy unlocks for your master spells at higher teir gear if you wish or just sub for a month or two if you plan to raid etc. It's very flexible. Yes being limited to certain races can be a pita but as others have said this info has been out for a long time. Anyhoo, sorry the OP has had a bad time of it. 

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Paithan

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Aquazen

Originally posted by fansede

Interesting. you pay for a month and get the same access as a free player, nothing more? Then why would I subscribe at all? Doesn't sound like SOE wants to build their player base very much. I can understand the free offer, but here a customer is spending money..

he played on the eq2 X servers, he would have had full access to all races and classes IF he played on the Eq2 life servers instead.

He wanted to play on a server where people are actually playing. I think he has a right to be upset. SOE should refund him his month. That type of BS should be in big bold letters if he is paying a sub. F'ing SOE for you.

With the sub he is able to play on both. That and the subscription plan CLEARLY states what he will get.

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/game_overview

Here is the link, he got precisely what was promised.

Either way it's stupid as hell. I can't blame people for expecting to be treated fairly no matter how hard I try.

We can debate the benifids of the subscription, Im not overly impressed with the deal for Eq2X but thats a completely different discussion.

He was treated fairy, they clearly state what you will get with a subscription for eq2X, the fact you get full access on the live servers is overlooked but regardless of you wanting to make use of it you DO get that option. He desided to buy a sub.

The only real reason he has to be upset about is him not reading what the sub will get.

The information being available doesn't necessarily make it fair. If they broadcast on TV that everyone who plays a video game would be charged a $5 tax it wouldn't make it fair. Just another bullshit tax. This is one in a long series of bullshit moves on SOE's part. Yes it's his fault for not realizing SOE is a bunch of complete fuckwads. That doesn't excuse SOE for being fuckwads nor does it make it fair.

I agree wth you its not the best deal if you plan on playing on Eq2X servers. How ever it was his OWN choise to take it.

So regardless of it being a good or bad deal HE desided to take it. Its noones fault but his own.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Uhwop

EQ2 has two seperate services.  Extended is not the same as the live game.  The live game has no restrictions, if you already purchasd the game, and I supposed if you purchase it still, you can sub to the live service and get full access. 

It's not very cleare unless you read the FAQ.  SoE should do a better job of pointing out they offer two game services for a single game.

It took me until your post to realize that was the case.  You have to pay $15 a month and you only get the extended servers?  What kind of BS is that??? 

Man, if I ever decide to sub for F2P DCUO, I'm gonna send the weblink to my lawyer...

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Yes, it's a money grab and shouldn't be there, you should have everything the Live version does.  People subbing on X are not only paying the same as Live but also keep the broker system going on X and are adding to the population for those contemplating silver or gold memberships.  Sony should thank them not limit them.  The race restriction is the only setback for someone paying 14.99 on the EQ2X servers however so your "restriction" may vary.  You get everything else so if you don't need the other races it doesn't effect you.

The question still remains that if you are starting over on the X server and want an off race do you pay the extra fee for the population you're getting?

I would like to point out that just because EQ2 has a freemium system does not mean the game is freemium quality.  It's probably the deepest game out there in terms of things to do and the freemium part does not limit you as much as you might think.  You are limited by standard of living type amenities but all content is available to you, well, minus end game raiding.  I see the model getting criticized and laugh a bit because I've played other "free" games and most are garbage and don't have 1/4 of the value EQ2 does IMO. 

Originally posted by cheyane

The reason for that is simple the people on the live server bought every box the people on extended have not. So think clearly how bad is it for the live server where every subbed player has paid full price for the game to be at par with those in extended who never buys the game. Naturally they cannot be the same so SOE created these restrictions on race and that is about the only restriction there is currently.

This is not a agme that started out F2P this is a game that ahs two distinct types of servers and they ahve to balance the two. Yes you enjoy the better population on the extended at the price of the elsser races while those on live have an older and smaller population to contend with.

This really only applys people who started playing from the begining.

SoE deosn't release each xpac as stand alone items.  If I buy the box for the latest xpac then I get the base game and all the xpacs that released prior for the standard price of a new game. 

It's not like Blizzard who makes you buy each and every box prior to the latest xpac.  Or at I'm not aware of them offering the latest xpac with all other previous content included.

Interesting. you pay for a month and get the same access as a free player, nothing more? Then why would I subscribe at all? Doesn't sound like SOE wants to build their player base very much. I can understand the free offer, but here a customer is spending money..

he played on the eq2 X servers, he would have had full access to all races and classes IF he played on the Eq2 life servers instead.

He wanted to play on a server where people are actually playing. I think he has a right to be upset. SOE should refund him his month. That type of BS should be in big bold letters if he is paying a sub. F'ing SOE for you.

With the sub he is able to play on both. That and the subscription plan CLEARLY states what he will get.

This is very misleading.

If this is what you saw, you wouldn't know that there are two seperate EQ2 games.  This pricing overview is ONLY for EQextended.

The OP is wrong, yes. 

Everyone isn't playig on the extended servers, only people who decided they didn't want to pay a sub, or joined EQ2 through the freeemium game.

EQ2extended is an entirely diffirent service, with it's own servers, and pricing structure.

EQ2live is the game that you should be playing if you've already purchased the game and wish to pay a sub.  EQ2live allows full access to everything for 15 a month, has it's own server list, ans is a seperate game service from EQ2extended.

If the OP wants to play the real game, he should reactivate his preexisting supscription to EQ2.  I don't know what the server states are, but Nagafen (PvP) always had a high population, and did so prior to the EQ2extended, how the PvE servers are fairing I have no knowledge of.

SoE doesn't do a very good job of making it clear that returning players who wish to come back, and sign up for EQ2extended are signing up for a seperate service.  It seems like they have only the extended service.  This is what I thought, until I read the FAQ.  If I hadn't read the FAQ I would have though much like the OP did.

Its not misleading. Everything is on that page, what you get on the Eq2 X servers. And 1 space below the last item you get for having the sub it says :

EverQuest® II Extended Benefits for Active Subscribers?? 

Existing Subscription Plans

EverQuest II Live "Character Copy"

Station Access

EQII Extended Membership Plan

"Gold" Equivalent Included5(not bound to Bronze and Silver limitations when maintaining an active EQII Live subscription)

"Gold" Equivalent Included5(not bound to Bronze and Silver limitations when maintaining an active EQII Live subscription)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Robsolf

Sure, that's true.  But I gotta say that's a really dumb idea for SOE.  Most games give full access when you pay the standard 15/mo. for a game.  To have that restriction EVEN on a standard sub... even if that restriction is only on the free servers... that's just not cool.

As a player, I would assume that paying a standard sub would give me everything I had before when I had subbed previously, no matter which of their servers I played on.  Doing it otherwise just confuses people and it pretty much a bad idea.  If not, in fact... money grubbing.

Let's talk.

First, when you play EQ2 Extended they don't charge you to download the client, where as on the live servers unless you previously purchased EQ2 you'd have to spend money on it.  So it makes sense they're not going to give you the full game for free.  In fact, on the extended servers you have to pay for the latest expansion pack if you want all the content, or wait until the next release when they'll give you the rest last expansion for free.

Next, it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to unlock the other races, in fact, you can unlock them in groups of 3 for 750 SC each.  Now sound like a lot, but since the routinely offer SC at a 2 for 1 rate, it ends up being about 3.50 per group and there are 5 groups, so less than 20 bucks to unlock them all. (but then, you can't really play them all, and most people only bother unlocking a few groups.

Me, I don't care, I play one of the 4 free races, I don't need to be a froglock, but if I wanted to, 3.50 isn't a whole lot of spend.

It's true, playing on the Extended servers are in fact more expensive than the live ones, and one thing you're paying for is the opportunity to be surrounded by new players in a world that isn't overly top heavy.  SOE realized there was a market for that sort of environment, and most of us gold subscribers on the server are buying extra stuff anyways like mounts, special housing (islands are cool) and other cosmetic goods.  We don't mind paying extra in our games, as long as we're having fun.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

To those protecting SOE, god bless you. But really, why should you be limited to certain races if you are subbed, expalin this to me, and if you do, I bet SOE would love to hire you on there marketing team, lol.

Originally posted by Robsolf

It took me until your post to realize that was the case.  You have to pay $15 a month and you only get the extended servers?  What kind of BS is that??? 

Man, if I ever decide to sub for F2P DCUO, I'm gonna send the weblink to my lawyer...

No sir.  It measn that if I'm going to sub to the game, it will be on my preexisting account, and not the extended service.  For 15 a month I can have full access.

Extended is for those people that don't want to, or never have purchased the box. 

BUT, I didn't know this until I read the FAQ.  Had I not read the FAQ I would be upset becaue I wasn't fully informed on the way it worked.

If you'rea RETURNING subscriber, do not sign up for the extened service unless you want to play for free.  If you're going to sub, then do so with your preexisting account so that you get full access. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Jimmac

I don't really follow SOE or EQ2 anymore. Can someone explain why anyone would sub to the freemium server instead of the real servers?

Mostly because its very populated with players at the lower levels, with new people constantly joining in, makes it a lot of fun to level up and if you're so inclined, you can even find groups with some regularity.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

LET ME CLARIFY:

I have been playing eq2 since launch off and on. I have EVERY xpac besides the new Velious one.  I played on the eq2 live servers before but NOW i wanted to start fresh and the f2p server has a HUGE lower-mid level pop compared to any of the live servers.

SO i subbed on the f2p server thinking id get access to all the classes/races and other stuff that my account that ive had since 1999 would include. I subbed in the game and it didnt tell me about any restrictions IN GAME on their SC.

thats what made me mad, i did the monthly sub thinking id get access to the things my old ass account already had. and no i didnt read the sub listings on the website because i did it in game.

READ THIS POST before you reply anymore lol

To those protecting SOE, god bless you. But really, why should you be limited to certain races if you are subbed, expalin this to me, and if you do, I bet SOE would love to hire you on there marketing team, lol.

Dont get me wrong I dont think its a great deal either. But thats an entire different topic. It took me less then 10seconds to find out what I would and wouldnt get. I dont buy nor agree on terms without reading what Im getting into.

This is darn close to the south park episode : Human centipad.

Originally posted by Complication

LET ME CLARIFY:

I have been playing eq2 since launch off and on. I have EVERY xpac besides the new Velious one.  I played on the eq2 live servers before but NOW i wanted to start fresh and the f2p server has a HUGE lower-mid level pop compared to any of the live servers.

SO i subbed on the f2p server thinking id get access to all the classes/races and other stuff that my account that ive had since 1999 would include. I subbed in the game and it didnt tell me about any restrictions IN GAME on their SC.

thats what made me mad, i did the monthly sub thinking id get access to the things my old ass account already had. and no i didnt read the sub listings on the website because i did it in game.

You have the right to be mad, they made it way too confusing with there model. Anyone that thinks you are stupid are wrong. I guess you just can't assume anything anymore when it comes to sub modeling. Ultimately it is your mistake but I feel you, it is dumb

This is very misleading.

If this is what you saw, you wouldn't know that there are two seperate EQ2 games.  This pricing overview is ONLY for EQextended.

The OP is wrong, yes. 

Everyone isn't playig on the extended servers, only people who decided they didn't want to pay a sub, or joined EQ2 through the freeemium game.

EQ2extended is an entirely diffirent service, with it's own servers, and pricing structure.

EQ2live is the game that you should be playing if you've already purchased the game and wish to pay a sub.  EQ2live allows full access to everything for 15 a month, has it's own server list, ans is a seperate game service from EQ2extended.

If the OP wants to play the real game, he should reactivate his preexisting supscription to EQ2.  I don't know what the server states are, but Nagafen (PvP) always had a high population, and did so prior to the EQ2extended, how the PvE servers are fairing I have no knowledge of.

SoE doesn't do a very good job of making it clear that returning players who wish to come back, and sign up for EQ2extended are signing up for a seperate service.  It seems like they have only the extended service.  This is what I thought, until I read the FAQ.  If I hadn't read the FAQ I would have though much like the OP did.

Its not misleading. Everything is on that page, what you get on the Eq2 X servers. And 1 space below the last item you get for having the sub it says :

Station Access

let me rephrase that.  When I first looked at that overview, I didn't realize, notice, or fully comprehend that it was two seperate services. 

It doesn't emmidiatly point out that it's two seperate services, and it's a little confusing at first, because it doesn't state that you can return to the game and pay 15 a month if you had a previous account with them.

They should clarify this with the pricing overview, and make it CLEARER that they are running two seperate services. 

It's confusing because I've never seen a freemium service like this.

maintaining and active eq2 live subscription, doesn't explain everything.  It makes it seem like only people who had a sub when they started xtended can keep their subscription and full access.  It doens't make it clear that I can return to the live service.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Everquest 2 came out in 2004 . Are you talking about Everquest 1 when you say 1999 ?

Freemium thing is relatively a new thing that started with DDO and then EQ2 took it up too so each company has a different system. How can you assume how the service works when there are no real guidelines or anything.  You should have read carefully before you subbed.

Chamber of Chains

LET ME CLARIFY:

Very well, I high lighted the irony in your post:

EverQuest® II Extended Membership Plans

Account Membership & Price(plus applicable taxes)

BRONZE*FREE

SILVER*1,000 SC Upgrade ($10.00 one time purchase)

imageGOLD*$14.99 USD/month (recurring Membership)

PLATINUM*$199.99 USD/year (recurring Membership not available at beta launch)

Station Cash™

Purchasable

Purchasable

Purchasable

500 SC/Month & Purchasable

Content Access

EverQuest II Sentinal's Fate™(base game, 6 expansion packs and 3 adventure packs)

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access1

Full Access

Plus Destiny of Velious

Player Character Races

Four Races2(remaining purchasable)

Full Access

Player Character Classes

Eight Classes3(remaining available with Gold or Platinum upgrade)

Eight Classes3(remaining available with Gold or Platinum upgrade)

All Access

free

This is very misleading.

The OP is wrong, yes. 

Station Access

let me rephrase that.  When I first looked at that overview, I didn't realize, notice, or fully comprehend that it was two seperate services. 

It doesn't emmidiatly point out that it's two seperate services, and it's a little confusing at first, because it doesn't state that you can return to the game and pay 15 a month if you had a previous account with them.

They should clarify this with the pricing overview, and make it CLEARER that they are running two seperate services. 

It's confusing because I've never seen a freemium service like this.

maintaining and active eq2 live subscription, doesn't explain everything.  It makes it seem like only people who had a sub when they started xtended can keep their subscription and full access.  It doens't make it clear that I can return to the live service.

I agree with you they could and should have putted it there more clearly, but it being overlooked doesnt make it missleading.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

why should you be limited to certain races if you are subbed, expalin this to me, and if you do, I bet SOE would love to hire you on there marketing team, lol.

as has already been stated, 

it sucks but i think the Race restriction is there so EQ2Live still looks attractive

LET ME CLARIFY:

You made a simple mistake, that doesn't make your complaint valid though.

If you play on the live servers, your complaint becomes invalid.  Extendid isn't the same service, it's an all new servers for those people who don't want to purchase the game. 

If you already have the game, and will pay the sub, then play on the live servers.  No they won't have as big a low level pop.  If you want to play were there are more people at the lower levels then play extended, but that doesn't mean you have a valid complaint.  It's not the same service.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

So with the news that the beastlord is comin soon I decided to take a trip back to eq2 for the hell of it since I have no mmo to call home atm.

I downloaded eq2x because thats where all the people are now, the live servers are dead below max level. anyways...  It downloads instantly, good on soe for streamlining the download/install.

I jump in and since my main account ive had since 99' has the f2p server already on it im good to go.  Make a barb/berserker since its limited to what i can use. 

I play for a bit and start having fun so im like "hey wtf ill sub for a month or so, theres a lot of people on this server so its worth at least 30 days!"

Thinking if i go gold member (usual monthly sub) ill have access to all the things my main account did since i have all the xpacs besides Velious.

So i sub for a month. "oh boy im gold member now! im gonna make a new character, maybe a troll assassin or something!!"

so i pick assassin and go to next screen to pick my race and lo and behold! i cant pick any of the fucking races still!!!! i relog thinking it might be a bug, and NOPE! still cant pick any races besides the free ones.

I go on the site and look at the membership page. Even with a gold membership (USUAL MONTHLY SUB!!!!!!!!) you cant play any races besides the 4 free ones.

UN  BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!

to get access to all the races that i already had access to with the usual monthly sub before i would now have to pay 100 dollars for a yearly sub.

[Mod Edit]

Live servers are not dead on low levels. I play on AB server and i know this for fact because i am an altaholic. I just did Black Burrow, Stormhold, Wailing caves all starter low level dungeons on my new 4 alts this week. You should just stick to live servers.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Ok. So if you want full access to content in freemium game vs. full access in p2p game. Freemium game will be much more expensive.

Really that's should be no surprise to anyone that know what really freemium model is.

Originally posted by fenistil

Ok. So if you want full access to content in freemium game vs. full access in p2p game. Freemium game will be much more expensive.

Really that's should be no surprise to anyone that know what really freemium model is.

That is not the case in Turbine's model. Any server you pick, when you sub, you get almost everything unless certain things (races, quests, etc) have to be unlocked through play