Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multi-person cars (Yalms)- When??

EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

So far, cars in-game only allow one person to use it. Why can't there be any passengers? I sure hope passenger-enabled cars come about in the game, but why aren't they in it yet?

It would sure be cool for players to run private taxi or jitney services! Otherwise, some might be kind enough to give rides for free. image

Comments

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261
    Never ...   Looks simple but would be very complicated and not particuly useful.  I really hope they save the devs time for other things.
  • hugomorihugomori Member Posts: 18

May I ask where could you get any of the vehicle?

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Red_Rider
    Never ...   Looks simple but would be very complicated and not particuly useful.  I really hope they save the devs time for other things.

Oh, come on now! Why the heck not? Why would it be complicated to just add another seat to a Yalm??

Also, if players buy "buses" and run private Jitney services (at say, 250 credits per person per mile), then that can stimulate the economy in the game. They could also run Taxi services too, or just courteously give people rides for free.

Btw, are there any MMORPGs today that allow more than one person to ride on another's horse, ship, car, etc...?

Changing the graphics of the Yalm is effectively no problem.   Programming to make one or more players follow the leader at a constant distance is very tough,  just play with the follow command and you will see some of the problems different internet connections, local lag spikes etc can cause. 

I think that SWG has space ships with more than one player, but had already quit the game when that came out so I can't comment on its operation.  Everquest had the answer with teleportation,  AO has this in a more limited way.  Exact synchronization is not important in a port so much more doable in a MMORPG.  Now if the group Fixer Grid quest wasn't sooo tough ...

• ForeverDawnForeverDawn Member Posts: 203

Yeam I agree with Red_Rider.  The quest is pretty hard, even for a good team.  And I've tried it with many a different fixer, but to no avail.  Ima agent so I can be a fixer, but havent been.  And, I dont have a yalm, but i want one, why do they have to be so darn expensive? and how does one make money enough in AO to buy one? it makes me mad that they are so much money 4mil for the cheapest one, I mean OMG, that is a lot of money, right now, i have 40k, and it took my awhile to make that much.  It would be a good idea to make a taxi service or something, that way, people with the proper reqs for the yalm or the "taxi" that theyd be driving, could make money, and sooner or later, have 'nuff to buy their own yalm, if the said persons "taxi" is their own.  THey really should do that, it cant be that time-consuming to put antoehr seat in a yalm, or rent one for a time.  Is it that hard? I dont thnk so.

imageForeverDawn (name on AO)

Its a philosophy Can u figure it out?

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

As for the fixer quest,  if you don't have a Yalm, pretty much impossible,  both self (level 50ish) and group (level 100+) are timed quests and pretty short times at that.  The Group one also needs you to talk to mobs that aggro you and must be calmed first. 

As for cash,  with the influx of freebies on Rubi Ka, making money is tough,  any good idea is followed by a ton of other people doing the same thing and cutting your price.  Range meters were selling well at 150k in December and now are selling slowly at 10k. 

But I still think that multiple person vehicles would be tough to implement and not bring much to the game.  Maybe its because I am a long time player and spent many months in the game without a Yalm and without even understanding the grid, and running around like mad.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Multiple person vehicles have been asked for for a very long time, and will likely never be implemented.

As to money in AO there is one solution to all the freebies that can only play on rk, blitz blitz blitz, just do a search on AO forums for that word and you will stumble upon many many faq's regarding it, any lvl and class player can make money that way with some training.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there ANY MMORPGs that have multi-person transport that are driven by players?
  • FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by shultz
    Are there ANY MMORPGs that have multi-person transport that are driven by players?

Neocron supports multiple passengers/gunners.

Far as Yalms go in AO... no need for multiple passengers, they are easy to get.

I came back after Shadow Lands came out, to check it out.   Had to make a new account.   In about 4 days I had a yalm, and my character was under lvl 20.

I used the mission helper to find min. quality lvl of certains items used for buffing(concrete cushions, along with some weapons that boosted stats like int.) and grafts. But the real money I made was from camping the subway boss for the NCU ring.    (was running back and forth between all the subways)

You can only do that while lvl 24 or lower though.

The hardest part about getting a yalm is finding a vendor with the cheap ones...

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer
  • ForeverDawnForeverDawn Member Posts: 203

You've got to be kidding me.  The Ring of Nucleus Baslis (or whatever is called) sells for good money? so...how many times did you have to kill Eumindes to get it.  And how many days did it take you?  I know that not everyone has that kind of time.  Considering the factor that it takes about 20mins for him to respawn, isnt that right?  But what about money for yalms in the later lvls.  Me, a lvl 43 agent, only have about 100k, can not find enough money for a yalm, or probably never, a multi-person yalm.  Any tips on making money? Missions? what do I put the tracker thing on...money?  weird....multi-person yalms?....another ploy for ppl to show off how much money they  haave.  We happened to the good ole' days when a player didnt care about money...actually, i was never on when i player didnt care about money....anyway.  Yalms are futuristic cars...maybe in RL someone will think up them and build some...cool.  "....Nice, that's my opinion, deal with it.  Or not. The choice is yours" lol

And where does a person find a yalm vendor....that question still has me perplexed after many a person has given me an answer...where on the map?..weird...and Thanx

imageForeverDawn (name on AO)-agent

It's a philosphy, Can you figure it out?  Huh Can you???           "Good luck and have fun to all who play AO."-ForeverDawn (circa 2005)

imageGwaine (name on AO)-adventurer

imageGwynidon (name on AO)-engineer

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

• FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

I'm a pretty generous person when it comes to selling stuff in mmorpgs... I prefer to sell stuff cheap and fast.   I don't like holding on to something I want to sell more then an hour.

I advertised that I was selling the ring each time in Omni Trade, and high lvl people messaged me  usually in one of 2 ways.

I'd get "how much for the ring?"

or "I'll give you 1m for the ring"

For the people that asked how much, I usually sold it for 750k.  I had one guy tell me "I'll give you 2m for the ring"

I'm not sure how many I sold before I got the yalm, I was mainly doing missions for stuff worth around 50k-150k to players.  I think I sold 3 rings(kept one for myself as well) to get the yalm on my first char.    He was an adventurer.

Within the first week and a half though I had 2 more yalms for my 2 alts.

Once I got my first yalm, It made getting the other 2 yalms alot faster since I could easily go to the OT subway outside of Rome, the Neutral's subway, then to the Clan Subway in Old Athens.

He drops them about 1 out of 4 times or so, if I remember right... and lots of players stop lvling at lvl 24 until they get the ring... before they continue leveling, so some times he is camped.

Camping the 3 subways was very much worth it though... its the easiest way to make money until you get way higher lvl.

Some times I would get no tells when advertising the rings... othertimes I'd sell 2-3 of them within 2 minutes of posting them on the shopping channel.

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer

Then why & how did the Devs from Bungie permit the capability of seating more than one player on a Warthog in Halo 1 & 2?

Halo has already done it, so what's keeping AO?

Halo is not an MMORPG.....  What can be done in multiplayer with 16 people (the max for Halo I believe) is a lot different when you can suddenly arrive in a zone with 100 people or more.  Look how "well" follow works in AO and other games.   Hit some lag and you are gone.  Imagine if you were in an air vehicle and they turned on fall damage .....

• Originally posted by shultz

So far, cars in-game only allow one person to use it. Why can't there be any passengers? I sure hope passenger-enabled cars come about in the game, but why aren't they in it yet?
    It would sure be cool for players to run private taxi or jitney services! Otherwise, some might be kind enough to give rides for free. image

It can be done. It HAS been done.

Cosmic Rift and Infantry were the first ever MMORPGs (it can be said they were more like MOGs aka Multiplayer Online Games since each "server" or "game" in CR holds roughly 1,000 players maximum) with multi player vehicles. Though Cosmic Rift might have done it before Infantry. CR was a space only battle game. Thousands of players hunted each other down. There were multi player spaceships. 1 Player was the pilot, the other player was the gunner. Infantry is a futuristic war game that takes place on land. There were multi-player Tanks. 1 player drove. 1-4 players manned the various guns on the Tank.

Star Wars Galaxies took multi-player vehicles to the next level. SWG was/is a 100% true MMORPG. Each server holds 12,000 players maximum. And it implimented multi-player vehicles in its Space Expansion known officially as the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion. All the spaceships are in space. One cannot enter a planet's atmosphere and actually land their ship (like in AO. But alas, AO does not have 8+ planets and moons to fly ships to.)

Anarchy Online still has the BEST ever atmospheric flight game mechanic out of any MMORPG ever made. For a while AO had the best ever player vehicle features out of any MMORPG ever made. Now it is a rough tie between AO and SWG. SWG on purpose took 50% of it's ideas, and stuff from UO, and 50% from Anarchy Online. The SWG game DEVs theirselves in the old SWG forums even made posts commenting on their adventures while they played AO. If SWG can make multi-player vehicles, then so can AO. If CR, and Infantry can make multi-player vehicles, then so can AO. AO just needs to decide to invest the money into doing it!

I don't doubt that it could be done,  but I doubt that it adds to the game over many other issues where ressources are needed. 

Then why isn't Funcom hiring fast enough? How big is Funcom really?
  • RamblerRambler Member Posts: 6

I don't doubt that it could be done, but I doubt that it adds to the game over many other issues where ressources are needed.

I trully think it will be never done
    funcom have other interests then improving their
    vehicles.... they have a bunch of more
    important things to do..

but whooot? it will be nice to have a taxi services
    from other players ;)

• BalaczarBalaczar Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by hugomori
    May I ask where could you get any of the vehicle?

In Borealis if you run from the billboards at the top, down the ramp towards the Fare Trade building, just off the left side of the ramp, before you get to the fare trade store, theres a general store that has like 5 merchant machines in it, the one on the far left has vehicles as I recall.

• AngryHippieAngryHippie Member Posts: 214

"I trully think it will be never done
    funcom have other interests then improving their
    vehicles.... they have a bunch of more
    important things to do.."

You mean important things like their new Conan-based game? ;)

Hi, I'm asking for updates, over a year later. Are there multi-person cars yet?

• MchartMchart Member Posts: 42

I'd love to see you post this post on the official AO forum's, just for the simple purpose of getting laughed out.

Let's go over a few things first though -

1.) Why in the world would /anyone/ at /all/ want to be a passenger in a yalm when they could have their own, and go where they want to /when/ they want to.
    2.) Why would /anyone/ actually setup a 'taxi' service. Seriously, people have better things to do, not to mention you dont need a yalm to use the grid.
    3.) A vehicleair 121 yalm costs around 2.5mil. Even for a froob thats not much money, and if you say it is a lot of money, you havent been playing for very long.

Seriously, this has to be one of the worst 'feature requests' for AO that I have ever seen. In fact after seeing it, I even doubt you play AO that often; anyone who has played AO for at least 4 weeks would understand why this idea would be a waste. Sure, you /could/ put it in, but almost no one would use it. It's like suggesting that water vehicles are useful.

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290

Let's also not forget that vehicles are useless in the Shadowlands.

• maxfliermaxflier Member Posts: 38
    It's not gonna happen.

Dirk "Maxflier" Pitt
    215/30 Agent

• beautyisinbeautyisin Member Posts: 405

Bad Bad idea.

• gamer9191gamer9191 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by shultz

Oh, come on now! Why the heck not? Why would it be complicated to just add another seat to a Yalm??

Also, if players buy "buses" and run private Jitney services (at say, 250 credits per person per mile), then that can stimulate the economy in the game. They could also run Taxi services too, or just courteously give people rides for free.

Btw, are there any MMORPGs today that allow more than one person to ride on another's horse, ship, car, etc...?

imo, the eceonmy is great as it is, if u need credits, u go out and hunt for items that sell the most often...

plus, FC should be spending their time on better things....not wasteing time trying to add an extra seat to a yalm...heck, that might even add more lag to the game if u dont have a decent computer....20 yalms zoneing into 1 area with 2 ppl in em...god help ya if u dont have a great computer

Originally posted by Mchart

I'd love to see you post this post on the official AO forum's, just for the simple purpose of getting laughed out.

Let's go over a few things first though -

1.)
    Why in the world would /anyone/ at /all/ want to be a passenger in a
    yalm when they could have their own, and go where they want to /when/
    they want to.
    2.) Why would /anyone/ actually setup a 'taxi'
    service. Seriously, people have better things to do, not to mention you
    dont need a yalm to use the grid.
    3.) A vehicleair 121 yalm costs
    around 2.5mil. Even for a froob thats not much money, and if you say it
    is a lot of money, you havent been playing for very long.

Seriously,
    this has to be one of the worst 'feature requests' for AO that I have
    ever seen. In fact after seeing it, I even doubt you play AO that
    often; anyone who has played AO for at least 4 weeks would understand
    why this idea would be a waste. Sure, you /could/ put it in, but almost
    no one would use it. It's like suggesting that water vehicles are
    useful.

well, #3 isnt true, the price depends on ur comp lit skill.....and a noob that only has, what, 200-300 some comp lit skill compared to a lvl 220 with 1700+ is going to see a difference in price...if it costs so little to you, you must have a high lvl main...if thats so..YOU shouldnt be a noob and know what comp lit skill does