Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the new Monk kill the Enhancement Shaman?

I used to play enhancement shaman, since the days of two handers and un-normalized Windfury (pre-Oprah).

Reading about the Monk, I can't help but think Blizzard took what was cool and fun with the mechanics of enhancement shaman and incorporated them into the Monk class.

Any other enhancements think the same? Any other shamans thinking about re-rolling?

Am I just being chickenlittle or is this the time of Cownarok with Jormangundur the Ghostcrawler finally killing off my OG Class Spec?

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

i'd say at this point it's too early to tell.  There isn't enough detail out there.  You dont know all the changes with the shaman, as well as we dont have a full list of monk abilities. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

I used to play enhancement shaman, since the days of two handers and un-normalized Windfury (pre-Oprah).

Reading about the Monk, I can't help but think Blizzard took what was cool and fun with the mechanics of enhancement shaman and incorporated them into the Monk class.

Any other enhancements think the same? Any other shamans thinking about re-rolling?

Am I just being chickenlittle or is this the time of Cownarok with Jormangundur the Ghostcrawler finally killing off my OG Class Spec?

but isnt that like Death Knight taking role from Warrior?

they have different combat mechanics.

shamans have different spells and utilities. this is why they will never be thhe same. same thing I was trying to tell the Vanilla Warriors that didnt want Paladin to get a serious melee tree. they fight totally different, with unique skills. they cant replace each other, since both are still useful in unique ways

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

What are you talking about man Enhancement has been dead since the WOTLK pre release patch. DKs misplaced them to the point of uselessness, at least in PVP, totally useless, they still have some viability in pve but bleh. The Shaman hate from the Devs especially GC and Kalgan has been so much they have carved up the class into littel pieces for other people to eat. The few functioning pvp enhancement shaman I have met are generally just really good and need a challenge.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

oh dear sweet god, class A is unbalanced with class B wow hell spills into mmorg forums.  Thank god for damage meters!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Oh the poor beleagured enhancement shaman I remember in 2006 when I rolled one I recall one doom thread after another while trying to make the best spec I could.

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

You cannot kill what is already dead.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

New classes add spice to MMOs, but I always resented DK's for taking away melee dps spots and rolling on items for things those classes need.  If you get attached to a character/class, having new ones taking spots from your class can be annoying.  This wouldn't have been an issue if they only had 40 mans, but it's really noticable in 10 mans.  They also gave DK's crazy dps for a while.

Changing things to bring the person and not the class is a hopeful sign.  I remember magister's terrace groups always grabbing CC dps at first to make it simple. 

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by glofish

You cannot kill what is already dead.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange aeons even death may die.

Sorry. I couldn't resist XD

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Enhancement Shaman's have always sucked.

Once apon a time Winfury was retardly overpowered and any fool could turn on their PC then get carried by it. Even the most easy of easy mode since doesn't compare to that, I mean you just let the toon auto attack and it pwn'd people.

The simple fact Monks have actually to press buttons makes them nothing like an Enhancement Shaman.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

New classes add spice to MMOs, but I always resented DK's for taking away melee dps spots and rolling on items for things those classes need.  If you get attached to a character/class, having new ones taking spots from your class can be annoying.  This wouldn't have been an issue if they only had 40 mans, but it's really noticable in 10 mans.  They also gave DK's crazy dps for a while.

Changing things to bring the person and not the class is a hopeful sign.  I remember magister's terrace groups always grabbing CC dps at first to make it simple. 

Funny enough (most) dk's dont/didnt take away spots from anyone else, in most cases if the dk player wouldnt have come as dk they would have taken the same player on another char. But hey people love to scapegoat.

Back on topic, I dont think monk's really would be taking slots away from the shaman, healers always been in high demand so there they probebly wont be making a huge impact, range dps wise the monk is no threat at all as melee dps.. it will be a trade off betwine taking a shaman vs any other class.

The real problem seems to be kinna like the same as hunters had betwine release and patch 1.7, development doesnt seem to have a clear vision on what they want enhancement to be, the extra threat gen on Rockbiter illustrates that.

As if they where trying to make shaman capeble to tank but when they got to skilling and granting tallents they gave up.

The lack of.. desirebility of enhancement shaman in raids/groups is a design issue not because of class X

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

No it won't.

At all.

Monk won't kill any other class.

It will just be a different additional class.

If it would have to "kill" any class, you would need to compare it to Rogue and druid. Not Shaman. :/

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Once apon a time Winfury was retardly overpowered and any fool could turn on their PC then get carried by it. Even the most easy of easy mode since doesn't compare to that, I mean you just let the toon auto attack and it pwn'd people.

The simple fact Monks have actually to press buttons makes them nothing like an Enhancement Shaman.

UNderlined the part that matters. This isnt true, in pvp, granted this was mostly evident when battlegrounds where added, 1 single enh shaman was able to fend off the entire posiing team.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Remember when Death Knights were implemented?

Picture the exact same scenario, only with the Monk instead of the DK, that is what will happen. Blizzard has a bad habit of repeating past mistakes, and a track record that is trash when it comes to balancing a newly implemented class with the rest of the existing classes.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by Kost

Picture the exact same scenario, only with the Monk instead of the DK, that is what will happen. Blizzard has a bad habit of repeating past mistakes, and a track record that is trash when it comes to balancing a newly implemented class with the rest of the existing classes.

Except that DK aren't a "mistake". It's actually a pretty good addition to the game.

And if you compare Blizzard to ALOT of other game, they are actually pretty good at balancing their class.

Originally posted by Paithan

UNderlined the part that matters. This isnt true, in pvp, granted this was mostly evident when battlegrounds where added, 1 single enh shaman was able to fend off the entire posiing team.

LoL no.

Originally posted by Requiem6

Except that DK aren't a "mistake". It's actually a pretty good addition to the game.

And if you compare Blizzard to ALOT of other game, they are actually pretty good at balancing their class.

I didn't say DKs were a mistake, re-read what I wrote, slowly.

Blizzard is horrible when it comes to class balance, and they have had 7 years to refine the process, I completely disagree with your statement.

You obviously were not around when DKs were introduced, otherwise you would be well aware of the ways things were for about 6 months following the introduction of the class into the game. In fact, the entire reason that Blizzard has not added more Hero Classes since is because of the veritable bonanza of balance issues implementing a new class caused them.

Lots of docuementation from blues about it, do your homework.

1 Enhancement Shaman with the absolute best gear in the game, at the time.

Enhancement was a garbage spec for the first few years of the game, and the only people who played it were guys with a Sulfuras and a craving for Windfury procs.

LoL no.

Emm yes, but I take you didnt start in vanilla, in vanilla, granted after 1.7 they putted in most serious work in to actually ballance.

It really did take just 1 single shaman in wsg and ab. AV I dont count since that was won mostly by which side has most people logging out first.

They did fall out of grace though.

1 Enhancement Shaman with the absolute best gear in the game, at the time.

Enhancement was a garbage spec for the first few years of the game, and the only people who played it were guys with a Sulfuras and a craving for Windfury procs.

You are right back then if they didnt have a Sulfuras it took 2 to fend off the entire team.

And in the best gear.. hardly even if it was just because of the fact (most) guilds didnt lake a shaman along unless he was healing.

Emm yes, but I take you didnt start in vanilla, in vanilla, granted after 1.7 they putted in most serious work in to actually ballance.

It really did take just 1 single shaman in wsg and ab. AV I dont count since that was won mostly by which side has most people logging out first.

Dood I was playing Vanilla before people had even read the words "Arcanite Reaper".

So don't try and peddle your blatant lies to me, Shaman were never invincible, they just pwnt nubs for free with Windfury.

Dood I was playing Vanilla before people had even read the words "Arcanite Reaper".

So don't try and peddle your blatant lies to me, Shaman were never invincible, they just pwnt nubs for free with Windfury.

oh Im sorry, 1 single shaman with decent gear vs a full decked out team is "skill".  Yeah yeah , uhhu, all shamans are just.. "skilled" . I can use that logic against  you but I'll spare you that.

They where not invinceble to they definately where OP. And yeah.. I kinna was able to check their gear very very well.. after all I was a shaman.

oh Im sorry, 1 single shaman with decent gear vs a full decked out team is "skill".  Yeah yeah , uhhu, all shamans are just.. "skilled" . I can use that logic against  you but I'll spare you that.

Honestly I got not idea what your trying to say . . .

Honestly I got not idea what your trying to say . . .

That enh shaman where rather powerfull in pvp and you are trying to pretent it was all.. skill.

Ofcourse 1 vs 10 or 1 vs 15, Im willing to accept that some shamies where very skilled but against a team in their knight-champion and above gear having a heck of a time just killing 1? Since at the time pvp gear was pretty much just more stamina.. even against a team in full epic gear the shaman .

They where indeed OP.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I do remember when Shaman were pretty OP but that was when BC first launched and every new class Blizz introduces is that way until they drag out the nerf hammer.  Deathknights were at first and I imagine Monks will be as well.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I've found this thread to be somewhat interesting...my recollection over the years (Vanilla through Cata) was that no tree suffered more nor constantly pleaded for help (until many simply gave up) than the Enhancement Shaman...

...there were times where they were accidentally good for short periods of times, but those "bugs" were quickly fixed.

I can't think of a single tree that was laughed at more for such an extended period of time - not even the lolRet came close.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%