Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Battle for Dominus: Teaser Trailer World Premier

Comments

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I'm not as concerned about the graphics as I am the boring-looking combat in this game.  The main focus of this game is the PvP, but the actual combat looks dull and uninspiring.  I know some people will gleefully say "But, but, but...3 faction open world pvp!" and that will be enough for them, but if I'm going to play a game with PvP as its core system, the PvP actually has to look good, IMO.  So far, it doesn't in this game.  Maybe that will change, but I have a feeling when all is said and done, people's faith in a 3 faction pvp-centric game is really going to be tested here. Is that enough to carry a game in which the actual PvP doesn't look very good?  Is just the idea of 3 faction PvP enough?  We'll see, it may be.  Gonna keep my eye on this game for the future, because I like some of their ideas, but I'm not convinced it's going to be as good as people say it is.  Might be my own prejudice against indie developers speaking, though.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Shanaeyl

@Ramonsky : Dominus is the world you are asking for ;)

http://www.primeonline.com/universe/worlds/dominus/

Damn I need to get my eyes checked out! Thanks for the link Shanaeyl. Prime is set up to be something very special indeed. Over 10 worlds to explore and 1 for large scale PvP action? Very nice indeed. I have to admit, I didn't catch that section when I first went to the site, so thanks again. I'll have to keep an eye out on this one.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

big its still a work in progress the beta tester will let them now whats needs to change with the combat

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Have to agree with those complaining about animations.

Good animations are vital to a game's responsiveness and immersion. They're not something that can be skimped on like HD graphics. Even indie games absolutely require good animations in order to get good quality.

And before someone puts up yet another silly food comparison just think about how much time great restaurants spend on arranging plates. Both the 3-star restaurants and those owned by people who just have a passion for food even if they don't have 3 stars spend serious amounts of thought and time on presentation.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I like what the game is trying to do with a lot of things.

I don't like this video.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by haplo602

do they realy insist on showing such an ugly game ? or do they want to spend the entire reminder of the time till release on graphics and proper animation ?

If you had to pick, would you rather have:

a great looking graphical game with "proper" animation and visual eyecandy but poor itemization and crappy gameplay and horrible balancing of classes/races/factions

or

an ugly game with average looks and simple visual stimulation and great balancing, good performance/lag stability and equalized PvP?

I'd pick the ugly one.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by marinrider

I love the part where they say "Large Open Worlds" then show the most enclosed space possible...

Keep in mind, you have jetpacks,  so even if a mountain looks like its in your way,  theres a very good chance you can just go over it.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Sadly everyone knows whats gonna happen with this game. 

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by goofy3k

Wow this looks bad

My thoughts exactly.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Originally posted by goofy3k

Wow this looks bad

My thoughts exactly.

I concur. The second I saw the fighting my opinion went subzero.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

Sub quality graphics and uninspired combat, from the video.  I'll wait until release is closer to pass judgement, but another one to brush under the rug for now.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Love the people who are somehow getting hyped over this video. Does watching grass grow also get you excited? Marketing fail.

Now, they do have interesting ideas, and I'm interested to see where that goes. But, they did themselves no favors with this video. Anyone who claims they did will get hyped about anything. Probably ex-MO "fans".

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

A game made by gamers instead of investors is what this looks like.  After catching up on where they are, I love these ideas.  Reminds me of old SWG in ways. 

This reall needs to be a sucessful MMO.  I second, or third or where ever it is ..... "Don't frak it up."

~Hairysun

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Unfortunately this game is showing all the signs of a failure in the making. No doubt if this game get release it will be unfinished and extremely lacking. You can have as many nice ideas as you like but what really matters is whats actually in the game.

Even worse this game is pandering to DAoC players, so it will probably suffer the same issues that WAR did because they made the same mistake. That is, the game will look and play like it was installed off a floppy disc.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

graphics look worse than city of heroes .........

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

3 Faction PvP... Good idea! The gameplay, the graphics...Worse thing I saw for a long time! Im not in the 90s people!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

lobo the vid was very low rez and to be honest the trailor didnt do the game much good

and gfx are actully way better than city of heroes why dont you go check out the actual beta footage that is hq

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by SBFord

Keep in mind, Goofy3k and haplo602 that this is a start up indie developer. They are focused on features and mechanics and the graphics, while perhaps not stellar, are more than adequate and can certainly be upgraded over time. The bottom line is that the team is focused on bringing 3-faction open world PvP back into the genre and, at least from what I saw on my visit, they're getting the job done.

Soz Fordy, but I'm a bit bored of going off on a one man crusade with my wallet to support Indie projects.  Two recent supposedly Indie classics called "Mortal Online" & "Xyson" cost me money to just read about a small teams vision, and play what was/is an extremely rough looking, bug ridden pile of shite.  Where this particular genre is concerned, I have one word and one number.  They are: PLANETSIDE 2

You may malign the big players, but like it or not, they are far more likely to deliver a decent project, and be able to change things a lot quicker.  SOE may have dumped the mother-load of all shit on SWG players, but personally, I have no problem with them.  I have spent many years pissing around in EQ2 and Vanguard, and still play both.  I will try PS2 & EQNext...

~Wolf

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by popinjay

In my experience, you can't look at animation in early stages of alpha (is this even beta yet?) and determine that's how the game will be, considering no optimization or polish.

So again, the question still stands. Are you the type who want a eyecandy game with lackluster PvP or the type who wants a average looking game with excellent Pvp?

I know which type I am.

What I said is about game-play, so I'm not sure why you're posing that question to me. Of course this is the early stages I never said otherwise, I only offered my opinion of what i saw.

As for the question I don't think it's as cut and dry as that, not for me anyway. I don't play a game because it may have decent PVP, even if that is my desired playstyle. If I want something just for PVP I'll pick up a BF title or something similar.

In the end for PVP responsiveness is what's most important to me, indie's have a bad track record in that department.

an AAA's don't?? They are all tab target  zzzzzz  zzzzzz zzzz  So for indies to try something else is where its at, the gamers who have been around 20-30 years are tired of the same old crap so we can deal with poor animations, as most get better over time, just because FE has bad melee animations does not make it a bad game, I love the game personally.

LOOK at FF14 great looking game , look at BF3 AWESOME looking, done poorly, server issues can't play either games . I rather be able to log in to a game and enjoy it then spent months and months with lag and be offline.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125

So its a Dif version of Anarchy Online

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by haplo602

do they realy insist on showing such an ugly game ? or do they want to spend the entire reminder of the time till release on graphics and proper animation ?

yes..because grafix is everything..

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

an AAA's don't?? They are all tab target  zzzzzz  zzzzzz zzzz  So for indies to try something else is where its at, the gamers who have been around 20-30 years are tired of the same old crap so we can deal with poor animations, as most get better over time, just because FE has bad melee animations does not make it a bad game, I love the game personally.

LOOK at FF14 great looking game , look at BF3 AWESOME looking, done poorly, server issues can't play either games . I rather be able to log in to a game and enjoy it then spent months and months with lag and be offline.

Exactly! It's hard enough for AAA's to get get these games right and they actually have money on their side. I'm all for indies trying new things, I'm just sick of them failing big in their efforts. 90% of the time it's due in large part to reaching for the stars when they should be aiming for the clouds.

A feature list is nothing without proper execution, we've seen it time and time again. Even SWG with all of it's funding was never a feature complete game, yet we're supposed to see an indie pull off something similar and succeed? With DAOC thrown in the mix?  Sounds awesome, hell aweomse doesn't even do it justice. Problem is when will this game leave the alpha/beta stage?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

A ok, thats one bad trailer  and would only impress players with pentium 100 mhz. I do not need super awesome graphic to play mmo, but hey! It is 2011 and to present game with  ultima online graphic and so cheap trailer is bad move. Sorry guys but this game is for me one bad joke

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

I was wondering if the 18 classes will make it to launch.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I'd rather like to play more gameplay than to see more gameplay. My eyes are bleeding.

This is not a game.