Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is it?

SkanomoduSkanomodu Member Posts: 26

So I was looking for a new laptop to play guild wars 2 on and maybe some other games, and found this one at dell.nl; (website in dutch)

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00x5m03&c=nl&l=nl&s=bsd&cs=nlbsdt1&model_id=xps-l502x-proc-mod

price: 503 euros.

With;

i5-2430M 2.40 GHz with Turbo boost up to 3.0 GHz

4.096 MB RAM

1 GB NVIDIA Geforce GT 525M graphic card

And I'm  not that good at computers so I wondered if it's any good for (casual) gaming and what games I'll be able to play on this lapop,I don't need to play everything at maximum graphics.

I'm also sure I want a laptop and not a desktop, because my parents are divorced and I want to be able to play games at both.

Comments

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

Now it really just depends on how much you want to spend.

The video card on that laptop you listed is very Insufficiant for gaming even at medium-low on newer games. The CPU is also of lower strength in what you're looking for but I do realize the price there..

Now say you up your budget a little, I would definately shoot for an i7 2630QM at minimum with say a gtx 560m

Here's a general idea of the minimum I would look at for decent notebook gaming for the next year or so (roughly)

FORCE 16F2-004 / MSI 16F2

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - X1R309)

- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (SKU - X2R205)

- nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU - X3R453)

- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS) (SKU - X4N281)

-- 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Sandforce Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 550MB/s - Write 500MB/s SSD Serial-ATA III) (SKU - X5R002)

- 640GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) (SKU - X5R251)

-- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)

- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)

- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card (SKU - X8R001)

- Integrated Digital Video Camera

- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included

- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)

- Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit

~1200.00$$

Now say you upgrade to a Clevo P150HM per say 15.6''model that can slot the HD6990 GPU, that would be ideal since it would in fact up the gaming performance by at least 40-50%. This would run you another ~400-500$$ though. It's all about how much money you are willing to part with.I would highly recommend grabbing a SSD for gaming(as listed above), that will however tack on a few hundred more $$. Of course just about anyone will tell you it's a bad bad idea to game on a notebook unless you really have to since half the price of the notebook could most likely get you far better performance put into a desktop. Now I run a pretty new beefy notebook and I’m very happy with it.. I'm stationed away from home where desktops are not an option. I have the freedom to run any game I want to maxed on everything, never once lag or even hick-up and it's very portable. I did pay a pretty penny for my laptop though.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,403

For 503 euros, avoid Intel like the plague.  You are not gonna get a sufficient graphics chip with an Intel laptop in that price range.  Also for laptops shop Clevo, Sager, or ASUS if you are purchasing in Germany.

• SkanomoduSkanomodu Member Posts: 26

K, thanks for the replies. I´ll look for something else then.

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

its a dell no dice sry man try to go with asus on tiger direct saw some refurbished ones for like under 1000$

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I honestly dont see anything wrong with the I5 Proc, a GTX 560m/6950 would be alot better for gaming though.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,846

If that's your budget, get a Llano A6 or A8 system and use the integrated graphics there.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Cleffy

For 503 euros, avoid Intel like the plague.  You are not gonna get a sufficient graphics chip with an Intel laptop in that price range.  Also for laptops shop Clevo, Sager, or ASUS if you are purchasing in Germany.

Its DUTCH not bloody germany:P

@OP videocard is to weak.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i