Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have the feeling that WoW will take World PvP concept from GW2

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Blizzard is known for using ideas from other games. Blizzard said World PvP will be something huge in MoP.

well what better way to do this than to make it Cross Server zone like GW2 is doing?

Whats your opinion on a cross server zone for World PvP?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Blizzard is known for using ideas from other games. Blizzard said World PvP will be something huge in MoP.

well what better way to do this than to make it Cross Server zone like GW2 is doing?

That it isn't World PvP at all.

(unless you meant all zones would be cross-server, didn't read upon that about GW2 so my apologies if that was obviously implied)

(Though even than i would have my doubts. The whole problem about WoW is that barely anyone went out of town at max level and if they did they used flying mounts all the time. Even if you have a cross server system you'll just be left with a multiple of very little people on their flying mounts. However combined with incentives to go out on the ground there might be something)

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by generals3

Says who?  World PvP contrary to you haters isnt all about ganking or no safe zones or FFA looting.

World PvP encompasses a great many definitions, but the most pertinent is that it doesnt take place "INSIDE AN ISNTANCE"  which is exactly what GW2 is going for.  GW2 is going for the RvR approach from DAoC, which is universally agreed upon as being the best PvP in any MMO to date.

Now on to the OP's point.  I seriously doubt it.  WoW is all about Arenas and Battlegrounds.  Untill they can implement a 24/7 type of zone that is based on PvP then I am afraid all the world PvP we're likely to see is more Wintergrasps and Tol Borads.  Untill Blizzard sees fit to remove those glorified Battlegrounds *which WoW's World PvP is* then dont hold your breath.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Well, it's Blizzard, so they have to rip something off of GW2, so how about a dodge mechanic or some dynamic events, or maybe the scaleable mob skills, maybe that's what the world bosses will have?

Also, Secret World has some features that could work in WoW, so how about stealth missions?

Then there's SWTOR, how about romance options for your WoWémon?

After what Blizzard pulled with stealing Rift's pvp warzone and Akylios dungeon, barely changing the texture maps, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Says who?  World PvP contrary to you haters isnt all about ganking or no safe zones or FFA looting.

I think i hurt a fanboy's feelings. Now i'm not sure if it's because you were already posting before i edited my post with clarification but if you'd re-read it now you'll notice why i said that.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I think i hurt a fanboy's feelings. Now i'm not sure if it's because you were already posting before i edited my post with clarification but if you'd re-read it now you'll notice why i said that.

No, you were correct.

"Arena" - instanced PvP

"WvWvW" - instanced PvP

World PvP in GW2...um, where?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by VirusDancer

No, you were correct.

"Arena" - instanced PvP

"WvWvW" - instanced PvP

True WvWvW, i would not say instanced, more like servered . lol is that a word.. nvm  a big zone called the mist where 3 server battle. like 1000v1000v1000 or more or less, still world pvp

i played many game with world pvp and in the end we always battle at 1 area. so what the point of world pvp if everyones battle at this spot all the time because people know there is always player there so lets go there,

the only cool stuff about world pvp is , u see a enemy jump on him from behind, or by surpise. i dont call that pvp i call that gank ambush,surpise attack,

guild pvp raid that fun but only a couple of time then.. its become lame

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by sk8chalif

No, you were correct.

"Arena" - instanced PvP

"WvWvW" - instanced PvP

True WvWvW, i would not say instanced, more like servered . lol is that a word.. nvm  a big zone called the mist where 3 server battle. like 1000v1000v1000 or more or less, still world pvp

i played many game with world pvp and in the end we always battle at 1 area. so what the point of world pvp if everyones battle at this spot all the time because people know there is always player there so lets go there,

So it is actually one zone as i suspected. Now let's see in World PvP we have World and PvP.

PvP: check

World: Not checked. One zone hardly makes "world PvP" . Might just as well keep the WG/TB concept, just as much world pvp as that cross server zone concept.

Oh and to be honest the fact everyone battles in one zone is the problem about World PvP. That's what needs to be fixed. However this is a tricky thing to do in a level based themepark.

No, you were correct.

"Arena" - instanced PvP

"WvWvW" - instanced PvP

So it is actually one zone as i suspected. Now let's see in World PvP we have World and PvP.

World: Not checked. One zone hardly makes "world PvP" . Might just as well keep the WG/TB concept, just as much world pvp as that cross server zone concept.

Oh and to be honest the fact everyone battles in one zone is the problem about World PvP. That's what needs to be fixed. However this is a tricky thing to do in a level based themepark.

the zone will be pretty big anyway its would be like a world. who else this day  travel  5 zone to find 1 guys questing

unless u know where they are. so lets go to that spot.

just to lets people know that gw2 WvWvW  zone (mist ) will need to be big enouf to accept at least over 5000player because we talking  about 3 server battleling on the battlefield, iam sure u wont even see the end of the map when u get in,

anyway i am out Gn!

the zone will be pretty big anyway its would be like a world. who else this day  travel  5 zone to find 1 guys questing

unless u know where they are. so lets go to that spot.

Indeed no one. And like i said that's the issue. In EVE we travel through many systems to find pew pew every day. So it's not like people by default don't want to travel for PvP, it's just that there is no reason to in most games nowadays. Like i said in an other topic, just change the reward chain make World PvP more rewarding than BG's and Arena's and World PvP will be revived.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah you are right. PvP options looks like this:

1. Arenas

2. Battlegrounds/Instanced sieges

3. The mists (A lot larger than battlegrounds but a lot smaller than World PvP)

4. World PvP.

And Blizzard actually changed the PvP from the first system to battlegrounds around 6 months after the first GW game released so stealing the mists wouldn´t surprise me. The monk they announced already seems to be rather similar to GW2s thief in many ways.

However, this will be a lot more work than copying battlegrounds from Rifts so it wont happen before next Blizzcon. Wow is getting pretty old by then so I don't think copying features from GW2 will be enough to compete against it unless ANET botches something.

Originally posted by Loke666

1. Arenas

4. World PvP.

And Blizzard actually changed the PvP from the first system to battlegrounds around 6 months after the first GW game released so stealing the mists wouldn´t surprise me. The monk they announced already seems to be rather similar to GW2s thief in many ways.

However, this will be a lot more work than copying battlegrounds from Rifts so it wont happen before next Blizzcon. Wow is getting pretty old by then so I don't think copying features from GW2 will be enough to compete against it unless ANET botches something.

GW2 is not competition though.

I still don't get why people keep saying that it will be.

That's like saying that Skyrim is competition.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by Loke666

1. Arenas

4. World PvP.

The lack of a sub makes it scarier compeition.

Originally posted by gotha

...snip...

The lack of a sub makes it scarier compeition.

Without the need for a sub, a person could keep their WoW sub (or whatever game they are subscribed to without additional cost).  There is no need to attempt to justify two subs as you might if you were playing WoW and wanted to play ToR (or RIFT and ToR, WoW and RIFT, etc, etc, etc).

If a person kept their WoW sub (or other sub) and played less because they were also playing GW2... that would actually work out better for the original sub game...less overhead.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by zevni78

After what Blizzard pulled with stealing Rift's pvp warzone and Akylios dungeon, barely changing the texture maps, I wouldn't put anything past them.

The concept of what Blizzard wanted to do with deathwing was in place long before anyone saw the Akylios fight.  And the 'texture maps'?  The area deathwing is fought in has been in the game since last year.  One fight takes place on a serene looking body of water, the other on a raging maelstrom.  Is it possible Blizz took teh whole tentacle thing?  Maybe, but its not like that dont have this stuff planned out in advance, but concepts can and do change as things go on so who knows.  But the base concept of Deathwing struggling to escape the maelstrom has zero to do with Akylios and the look of the fight area has been in the game longer than Rift has been around.

And yes, the new BG is the same concept as Black Garden.  Black Garden has horrid execustion to a cool concept, so hopefully Blizz improves it.  Its not like Rift hasnt borrowed heavily from WoW with their other BGs though

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Its because the average person doesnt have enough time for 2 MMORPGs.  Some dont mind paying for a game they dont play, most do though.

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by zevni78

The concept of what Blizzard wanted to do with deathwing was in place long before anyone saw the Akylios fight.  And the 'texture maps'?  The area deathwing is fought in has been in the game since last year.  One fight takes place on a serene looking body of water, the other on a raging maelstrom.  Is it possible Blizz took teh whole tentacle thing?  Maybe, but its not like that dont have this stuff planned out in advance, but concepts can and do change as things go on so who knows.  But the base concept of Deathwing struggling to escape the maelstrom has zero to do with Akylios and the look of the fight area has been in the game longer than Rift has been around.

And yes, the new BG is the same concept as Black Garden.  Black Garden has horrid execustion to a cool concept, so hopefully Blizz improves it.  Its not like Rift hasnt borrowed heavily from WoW with their other BGs though

It is kind of difficult to accuse a MMO of stealing a BG/WF from another MMO...

...given how long FPS games have been around.

Originally posted by teakbois

Its because the average person doesnt have enough time for 2 MMORPGs.  Some dont mind paying for a game they dont play, most do though.

Whether you play 1 hour a month or 1 hour a day or 5 hours a day during the weekdays and 10+ a day on the weekend... you pay the same sub.  Some people pay a sub only to play some on weekends.

Many people play other games as well as a MMO - whether they're playing PC games or console games...yet they still pay a sub.

Two subs?  That number likely drops.

So GW2 having no sub... does not present that problem.  It is as much a threat to a sub game as any offline PC game, a console game, FPS/RTS game lobby game, etc...