Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 4 year old LotrO Account Suspended for...

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by gaugemew

using adult language on the internet has been banned.  Clearly you didn't get the memo that said the internet is a kid safe environment.

I think it's halarious that people age 1-17 out of 80 or so average dictate what the people in the other 67 categories have to do.

You can curse on the internet. Just like you can curse in real life.

What you can't do is curse wherever you want whenver you want. Ther's a time and place for everything. some work environments tolerate it and some dont'.

It doesn't matter in some places and it does in others.

It's not a hard concept. Understand where you are and who your audience is.

If you are in a guild with like minded people you aren't going to get banned for profanity. If you start pushign it into people's faces then it's going to be an issue.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

OP I think they did you a favour,  you sound like you get way too stressed out over simple things.  Relax, learn to control your rage because its not good for your health.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• bomber009bomber009 Member Posts: 21

You're free to say whatever you want but you can always be punished for what you say.  While you paid them for access to play the game, you also agreed to abide by the rules.  If you can't follow the rules then they can take away your account it's as easy as that.

Granted I will agree that there are larger concerns in an MMO than profanity but it is easy to enforce and frankly it's pretty easy not to type in curse words. 

• gwarrengwarren Member Posts: 6

why do I read these forums?

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

I can kind of see his point to some degree. Most games have the chat filter auto toggled to filter out the cuss wordsWhere you get symbols. If someone toggles it off they can't be too offended by the words. If he has cussed over the 4 yrs he's been playing and nothing was ever said to him, but they bring the hammer down only because he is critical of the game (If thats what really happened and he's not leaving parts out), then it seems motivated by other reasons besides protecting the public. Really, why have curse filters on chat, if they don't matter. I'm not condoning or condeming any behavior, but if it was to censor his opinion of the direction of the game, seems wrong.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Lotro is one of the most policed games in terms of language.  You simply can't curse in-game and the community will eat you alive if you do.  I'm not for this kind of censorship myself, but that's how the game is unfortunately...

• cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

Maybe you've really been secretly monitored for the past 4 years and they just got tired of you :D

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I've never been warned once in any game that I've played... and I have unloaded vicious barrages of curse laden language on those I've deemed worthy of the release.  Not only simple expletives, but all variety of uses with them - I've used language that would make outlaw bikers tear up and even make sociopaths blush.  In over 14 years of gaming across countless games, I've never received a single language warning...

...here on the other hand, lol - ahem, anyway.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Don't feel sorry for you, OP. Act like a fool, and this should happen.

You show your displeasure of people enjoying the game on their own terms by cursing in public chat or sending them tells? Both childish and idiotic.

What made you think this was okay?

Sure, Turbine censors you. So does any establishment if you walk in and start harrassing people and cursing. Go try it out. Well, you can probably get by with that sort of behavior in Wal-Mart and WoW.

Originally posted by Golelorn

Don't feel sorry for you, OP. Act like a fool, and this should happen.

You show your displeasure of people enjoying the game on their own terms by cursing in public chat or sending them tells? Both childish and idiotic.

What made you think this was okay?

Sure, Turbine censors you. So does any establishment if you walk in and start harrassing people and cursing. Go try it out. Well, you can probably get by with that sort of behavior in Wal-Mart and WoW.

I've referenced certain sexual behaviors between players, their immediate relatives, and random animals to be found at the zoo in WoW...without any warning.

If a person does not want to see certain words, most games have a filter.  If somebody starts on a tirade and you do not want to see it, you can ignore them.  Heck, if somebody is babbling about something using the most polite language - you can ignore them.

Speaking of which, I've always found the people that have to let everybody know they have ignored somebody and spend 15 minutes talking about it more annoying than the person that I had placed on ignore 15 minutes ago and promptly forgot....

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I don't particularly like cursing, but every once in awhile it slips out of my mouth. I think that's a lot of people.

But when someone is typing on a forum, you actually have to think about what you are typing before you write it, even if you are a 99 WPM typist.

Even after you are done typing, you have to proofread it (most people do somewhat). And even after you proofread it you still have to hit "Post" or "enter". That's an awful lot of checks and canal locks that you go through before the post actually has to see a moderator's eyes.

So if LOTRO's forums says "No cursing allowed", and you went through all of those self checks.. they should have done something to you because you had plenty of time to self-correct your post but chose not to.

On a global chat it's a little different, but you still have to consciously type out the curse, so it's still a mental thought process that should be taking place there before you hit "Enter".

Originally posted by popinjay

I don't particularly like cursing, but every once in awhile it slips out of my mouth. I think that's a lot of people.

But when someone is typing on a forum, you actually have to think about what you are typing before you write it, even if you are a 99 WPM typist.

Even after you are done typing, you have to proofread it (most people do somewhat). And even after you proofread it you still have to hit "Post" or "enter". That's an awful lot of checks and canal locks that you go through before the post actually has to see a moderator's eyes.

So if LOTRO's forums says "No cursing allowed", and you went through all of those self checks.. they should have done something to you because you had plenty of time to self-correct your post but chose not to.

On a global chat it's a little different, but you still have to consciously type out the curse, so it's still a mental thought process that should be taking place there before you hit "Enter".

That's not human though.  Many of us, perhaps most of us, have said something at some point that we wish that we had not said.  Something that slipped out.  Something that came out more cruel that we intended.

The OP stated that it was a heated moment in regard to somebody dual-boxing.  Even talking about somebody dual-boxing gets my blood boiling, lol, and some of my in-game rants have been directed at multi-boxers.

Humans lose their tempers.  It happens.  For certain things, we can definitely catch ourselves before we say something.  Depending on the situation, we may excuse ourselves.  For certain things though, depending on if we're tired, hungry, what else is going on - sometimes we simply snap.  It sounds like the OP snapped.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by VirusDancer

That's not human though.  Many of us, perhaps most of us, have said something at some point that we wish that we had not said.  Something that slipped out.  Something that came out more cruel that we intended.
    The OP stated that it was a heated moment in regard to somebody dual-boxing.  Even talking about somebody dual-boxing gets my blood boiling, lol, and some of my in-game rants have been directed at multi-boxers.
    Humans lose their tempers.  It happens.  For certain things, we can definitely catch ourselves before we say something.  Depending on the situation, we may excuse ourselves.  For certain things though, depending on if we're tired, hungry, what else is going on - sometimes we simply snap.  It sounds like the OP snapped.

Agreed. Humans do that. I said as much in the first paragraph.. even I do it.

But you know, when I'm mad and I'm typing something I can clearly see exactly what I typed before I hit "Enter". Most times I don't care. A lot of times I know exactly what I'm saying with that curse and why I'm saying it and I WANT the person to see it too.

Even though that's human, it's still wrong.

If I was talking to the guy in person, it's different because we are talking. There isn't a self check available and word fly out of people's mouths.

But when you are typing, the self-check is right there. If it gets into someone's chat sentence, it's not because the person was so upset they didn't know what they were typing. It's there because the person knew exactly what they were typing and that's why they entered it.

They wanted the other person to see it, which again is wrong.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Even the lifetime player gets in trouble.

You are both suspended

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip...

Agreed. Humans do that. I said as much in the first paragraph.. even I do it.

But you know, when I'm mad and I'm typing something I can clearly see exactly what I typed before I hit "Enter". Most times I don't care. A lot of times I know exactly what I'm saying with that curse and why I'm saying it and I WANT the person to see it too.

Even though that's human, it's still wrong.

If I was talking to the guy in person, it's different because we are talking. There isn't a self check available and word fly out of people's mouths.

But when you are typing, the self-check is right there. If it gets into someone's chat sentence, it's not because the person was so upset they didn't know what they were typing. It's there because the person knew exactly what they were typing and that's why they entered it.

They wanted the other person to see it, which again is wrong.

Heh, typing 75-100+ WPM... that Enter key comes and goes...is gone.  I've typed many a thing without actually knowing the specifics of what I've typed when pissed off.  There is no self-check.  There is rage.  Blind.

Most times if I feel it building, I'll know to go check my blood sugar or I'll go for a smoke.  When my blood sugar is high, I'm more likely to tell somebody to go to their favorite park, sit on their thumb, and hum their favorite tune than I am when it is normal.  Usually after seeing that I have done that, because it is an after it happens thing - I'll know to check it.

I agree with what you said earlier about the difference between things like forums and in game chats.  Though again, there have been times where I've seen what I typed - and - had to go back to edit it...realizing what I had said.  Hell, in another thread - I went for a smoke before typing my reply to the guy - took that deep breath, so to speak.  I even reported my own thread, telling the mods that I was on the verge of losing it because of all the people that were derailing it because they never bothered to read the first post.  They read the title (ignoring that it was in quotes, because it was part of a quote in the first post) and replied.

Again, I'm not saying that is right in the least.  There have been times where I've seen what I typed, and decided to add a few more descriptive comments afterward... wrong, yes...but....ahem, so good.  :)

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

honestly, people swear ALL the time

some swear in each sentence, some occasionally, and some might slip once in a blue moon

i am the occasional swearer, ex: crap i died again (replace crap by the swear synonym) i have never been banned, or even warned.

other type the F bomb in almost every sentense, rarely have i seen someone get warned for that either

the game moderators (GMs CSRs etc) will not simply stand in a chat room filtering out all swear words (except the help newbie room), instead they will only moderate and check out logs from someone who has gotten MANY reports against him. that person (if its only swearing) will get a little ticket message/mail/tell/email with a warning. After that IF her gets MORE reports then is when they take action

so to get your account banned for just swearing is HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. i think there is more to the story than you tell. 

you either ranted with racism or simply harrassed him/her/them so much  that multy boxer  guild + friend + people around him so much that you made his gaming experience bad enough for him and everyone else to report you. 

ON TOP OF THAT

for more than the occasional extremist person (thinking of Ned Flanders from the simpsons) to report you for swearing, they must have told you to shut up or calm down on MANY occasions before actually pressing the report button... enough for them to stop playing and fill the questionaire that comes with the report option (you know, scroll down menus of categories to describe why you are reporting that person)

sorry i dont sympathise with your cause

maybe if you told the whole story you might realize that in fact you might have deserved that ban

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

The ignore and filter feature are not licenses to curse, and clutter up general chat with immature comments. That is not your own personal playground. 

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. And just because you can get away with junior high level comedy in WoW and EQ2 doesn't mean it will fly in other games.

I applaud it when those guilty of said comments are suspended. It goes on way too much, and all it does is lower the community's perception of each other. Log into WoW or EQ2, and there are immature conversations nonstop. The only way to stop it is to close the channel, or in WoW's case leave the area. DDO used to have this problem, but I guess through negative reinforcement they have taught those types of players that harassing and incendiary language won't be tolerated.

Most reputable guilds will not allow their members to engage in bickering over general chat. There is a reason for that. You give yourself, the game and your guild a bad rep.

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

honestly, people swear ALL the time

some swear in each sentence, some occasionally, and some might slip once in a blue moon

i am the occasional swearer, ex: crap i died again (replace crap by the swear synonym) i have never been banned, or even warned.

other type the F bomb in almost every sentense, rarely have i seen someone get warned for that either

the game moderators (GMs CSRs etc) will not simply stand in a chat room filtering out all swear words (except the help newbie room), instead they will only moderate and check out logs from someone who has gotten MANY reports against him. that person (if its only swearing) will get a little ticket message/mail/tell/email with a warning. After that IF her gets MORE reports then is when they take action

so to get your account banned for just swearing is HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. i think there is more to the story than you tell. 

you either ranted with racism or simply harrassed him/her/them so much  that multy boxer  guild + friend + people around him so much that you made his gaming experience bad enough for him and everyone else to report you. 

ON TOP OF THAT

for more than the occasional extremist person (thinking of Ned Flanders from the simpsons) to report you for swearing, they must have told you to shut up or calm down on MANY occasions before actually pressing the report button... enough for them to stop playing and fill the questionaire that comes with the report option (you know, scroll down menus of categories to describe why you are reporting that person)

sorry i dont sympathise with your cause

maybe if you told the whole story you might realize that in fact you might have deserved that ban

This is something that was lingering around as a thought.  Given the nature of some of my past expletive ridden diatribes against people without any form of recourse and even taking into account the stricter standards that LotRO has (tough on those RP servers)....there definitely feels like there is a lot missing to this story...

...to the point of wondering if it is merely an anti-LotRO trolling attempt.

• ToradacToradac Member Posts: 23

I am good friends with several people who still play Lotro as lifers and have not heard of anything like you are describing. I played Lotro for a little over a year. I had to rename a couple of toons because of "tos" violations and knew more than a few that were reported and suspended for using foul language. This is nothing new, you just have been lucky that no one has taken offense to you before now. They may be cracking down more lately in hopes of retaining the since of community the game had prior to going f2p but that is pure speculation.

I also agree that censership leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. If I don't like what someone is saying I ignore them and move on. However that is not the case in Lotro.

As to reaching out to the community for direction everything they do has to be approved by the Tolkein Estate.  I think rune keepers have pushed the envelope as far as it can go.....lore breakers haha. But yeah I'm with you in that I'm over Lotro. It was fun for a minute but it's not the same for me anymore. I'm not sure about their other games though.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

@OP why use bad language in a complaint to the GM's?  an obvious way to get suspended.  LotRO  is a pretty good mature player base away from the starter zone.  If you feel the need to report something you think is breaking ToS then do so without the rage.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

This is funny because it really depends on what game is doing well I suppose.

In Asheron's Call the general chat is filled with cussing all day without any action by +Turbine of any sort banning anyone. I guess they don't want to ban players on a game that has low subscribers.

Hypocritical management.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Gues the truth hurts.

But atleast we now know it was a harrasment issue that got the OP banned.

One guy accuses him of harassment on a forum and suddenly he's definitely done it? Perhaps you should review the concepts of guilt and evidence for your own edification.

As for swearing, he does so once and gets banned? A warning I could see, but this guy was there from the ground floor up and played for four years. Customer service or loyalty mean anything to you people? At all? To me this seems idiotic. You.  never see this sort of behavior in a physical store, but like so many MMO producers, WB thinks they can treat their customer like dirt. It's too bad he can't cancel his sub as he's a life-time member, the best way to penalize a business for treating you poorly is to not do business with them.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Im glad this happened. Not because I dont like foul language or whatever. I am tired of people using global chat as a personal chat room.

I would be happy if all gloal chats vanished, but if it is going to exist, im glad it is policed from idiots using it however they choose because todays game communities are largely immature brats. LoTRo is 1 of the better communities and from the looks of it,  they intend to keep it that way.

I love how you cry "the game has gone downhill" only after you got suspended. Neither the real world or the game world revolves around you. If your gone from the game world, it goes on just fine as crushing as that might be to your ego.

• MaraudaraxMaraudarax Member Posts: 1

I got a warning on the swtor forums for saying kriffing and fierfek which are starwars curse words to some degree. I mean really.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Seems like a justified suspension, imho.

You're expected to conduct yourself like an adult, regardless of the environment being online or not. Paying a monthly fee (or in this case, being a lifetimer) does not make you exempt from the rules. It's nice to see a company that is actually cracking down on this type of behavior, because frankly it makes the game alot less enjoyable for others.