Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get a hardcore pvp server for launch with a different ruleset please?

BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I know this is not everyones cup of tea but there is a group of us out there who prefer a hardcore pvp server. We like harsher penalties and to maybe drop a piece of loot from our inventory or something to that effect that is not soul bound. Also the less guards to run to the better. Something similiar to how AoC Deathwish server is or something. Be able to kill our own faction too maybe unless they are in your guild. This would be a server your reputation really would matter.

I don't know how many people would have an interest in this but even if it is just one server to start I think there is enough population to make it well populated. If it turns out to be really popular create another one. I just think it would be awesome to have something more hardcore than the regular pvp ruleset servers. It is nice to cater to the small majority of your game masses as well as your larger ones. The smaller ones tend to go unnoticed but it would be nice if we could be happy in our new hardcore pvp server home. Not asking you to move the moon here, just one little server to try it out please!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm going on record saying, "Won't happen".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Who knows what will happen in the future, but I'm thinking this will definitely not be in for launch.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

It gives them at least something to think about. I'd reroll to it if I had to down the road.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    There are already games available for that type of gameplay.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

For some reason, this thread made me think about the way I often see fans of SW separated:

Ep IV + V

Ep VI

Ep I-II

Ep III

Still, as has been said - I cannot see them doing anything like this for launch - nor really can I see them doing anything like this along the way.  Given the design of the game, it does not really fit it...imho.

It would...probably have to be a different game based on the IP.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I'd play on that.

What annoyed me most in WAR, for instance, was the shallow death pennalty: Res, repair, jump into the zerg, die, res, repair, jump into the zerg, die, etc. Dying became so meaningless that you didn't care about it anymore. At least I didn't.

Even in WOW the death pennalties were harsher with longer corpseruns, steeper res costs and more significant debuffs. (When I played it that is).

This made "not wanting to die" a more compelling feeling and world pvp had a little more excitement. Whereas EVE frequently had me shaking and trembling so badly in pvp that it impaired my gameplay, lol. The more there is to lose, the higher the excitement. Even in PVE.

I agree that it shouldn't be full loot though: it still remains a themepark game with some items probably requiring weeks of work or more to obtain. A perfect system would be giving people the option to lock out around 50% of their slots from looting; when you die your corpse might contain one of the unlocked items.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

What gives you the idea that Bioware would read this forum?

Post any ideas you have about SW:TOR in the official forum and then at least there is a chance they will consider it a good idea and implement it, if not right at release, then maybe later.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Nothing skilled or hardcore about tab target mash PVP.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I have no problem with them implementing a server like this, as long as it is clearly marked and explained.  At least then you can always tell people you got waht you asked for, both before and after they played on it.  I just don't see the population being very high.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't really think this games mechanics really will work for the "hardcore PvP lobby".

The mechanics are made to maximize profit of course, if you want a good hardcore PvP game you need to think about that when you make the mechanics from the start.

The whole reason PvP isn't so popular in MMOs as other genres is that the first MMO (meridian 59) originally were made for PvE but they made some PvP servers because the players wanted it. Almost every single MMO have copied those mechanics since then and they just ain't good enough to make PvP as popular as it is in other genres.

A truly awesome PvP MMO will need it's own mechanics, not stolen from other games. Adding hardcore PvP servers to a in all ways casual game is a misstake that will cost more players than it generates.

• aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91

won't happen, this game is mainly pve centric. And want it or not the hardcor crowd is not enough for EA to go spend all that money on building server for them and coding different ruleset for that matter.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Tha type of server has too many flaws.Would you want it to end up like Eve and have a couple giant corps running the game?In most cases even with a server like this players still tend to ignore pvp,so really it changes nothing.The only way pvp becomes serious as i mentioned when you start to get a giant guild that can zerg everyone else on the server,a guarantee win seems to be what makes pvp players happy ,a challenge is usually avoided unless it is a sure win.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Every time a new MMO is about to release one post for 'hardcore pvp server phuleesee' is mandatory. And it seldom happens. The only exception is AOC but it took Funcom 3 years to release hardcore server.

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

Dude, this ain't darkfall,  you want to get your indescriminate gank on, go play that, or shadowbane, or any number of "open pvp" games that are failing and/or closed now.

I'm sorry, I'm a lorehound.   and a jedi pulling out their saber and just randomly gutting down other jedi? or walking into a republic military barracks and getting his gank on?  yeah, that makes about as much sense as the idiots in SWG that would crowd in front of the spaceport and duel with lightsabers

Look, I understand there's a large group of people that like PVP, and like to pvp people any time, any where, with zero consequences. 

{mod edit}

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Originally posted by Adamantine

What gives you the idea that Bioware would read this forum?

Post any ideas you have about SW:TOR in the official forum and then at least there is a chance they will consider it a good idea and implement it, if not right at release, then maybe later.

This guy is right. Why post here and not try the official forums ? not that it would help anyway :p

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by Wizardry

Tha type of server has too many flaws.Would you want it to end up like Eve and have a couple giant corps running the game?In most cases even with a server like this players still tend to ignore pvp,so really it changes nothing.The only way pvp becomes serious as i mentioned when you start to get a giant guild that can zerg everyone else on the server,a guarantee win seems to be what makes pvp players happy ,a challenge is usually avoided unless it is a sure win.

^This right here, in Tor, you can have 500 members in a guild, thats a lot of members. And on a server like the OP is talking about, all it takes is one guild to establish themselves and slowly start to own the server. Then when that happens, people will start to get mad and use the saying "if you can't beat them, join them" and most likely reroll on that faction side. Then you have one full guild of 500 members owning everything, till everyone else either bans together to battle them or rage quit. Same would happen if you could attack your own faction, people would run to the big guild to be safe from their wrath.

I Imagine even the pvp servers now will have this problem eventually when a guild establishes them selves as the dominat pvp guild. So i doubt Bioware/EA will commit resources to make this kind of server to please the handful of so called "hardcore" pvpers out there.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Wizardry

People who group together and work efficiently have the most impact on a sandbox game shock horror!!! Oddly enough many actually like that in what are meant to be open world, sandbox, player driven games. Not everyone gets bent out of shape because others are more dominant then them.

@OP, I very much doubt there will ever be a "hardcore" ruleset in SWTOR, it really is just not that kind of game.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

if there was a server like that, I would try SWTOR.

alas, it won't happen, and alas, I won't try SWTOR.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Dont think thats ever gonna happen not enough ppl in general that wants hard penaltys . Like player loot etc is just more resources for them and cost extra cash for what maybe few thousend ppl maxx  not even enough to populate 1 server , so realy doubt they make something like this .

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by ktanner3

99% who make topics or reply like this like OP dont play these games like Darkfall becouse there way to hardcore for them. They just wanne look tough and hardcore on forums, in theory but not actually in practise. OP knows this will never happen in games like TOR that are purely made for causal themeparkers.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Go play Darkfall, Mortal Online or one of the many other FFA PvP games if that is your thing.  This will never happen to SWToR I can assure you this.

Same response I get from the themepark kiddies every time a good Sandbox thread comes up.  :P

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by forest-nl

99% who make topics or reply like this like OP dont play these games like Darkfall becouse there way to hardcore for them. They just wanne look tough and hardcore on forums, in theory but not actually in practise. OP knows this will never happen in games like TOR that are purely made for causal themeparkers.

..or perhaps some people don't play Darkfall or Mortal simply because they are bad and poorly made games?

wanting more FFA PvP in games does not mean you're obliged to enjoy the existing games featuring FFA PvP.

• lovehina21lovehina21 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I think having a hardcore pvp server would be great.  But i would  change couple  things.

On this server get rid of the factions. 

Being Dark side or "the Force" only changes play style and classes.  Not what TEAM ur in.

there have been sith's that went to the good side in the story. *cough* STAR KILLER

and of course there have been jedi's turned dark.... *cough* DARTH VADER

As for droping a random item when u die? no.  unless and ONLY WHEN ur Red flagged should you drop gear.(typical pvp flagging system, white / purple / red im sure u all know how it works)

and no death debuffs.  cuz nothing is worse than dying in a Guild vs guild battle, have ur designated resser to come get you just so u come back to life with 10% HP and slow move speed and die 1 hit.

the only penalty for dying in pvp should be all ur good buffs and exp. including lvling back down if u just lvled and died right away.

= Scent to bed =

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Biskop

..or perhaps some people don't play Darkfall or Mortal simply because they are bad and poorly made games?

wanting more FFA PvP in games does not mean you're obliged to enjoy the existing games featuring FFA PvP.

But that also doesn't mean that you expect a themepark PVE focused MMO to suddenly start making sperate servers for FFA  players. Doesn't matter if Darkfall and Mortal Online are not quality games. What has that got anything to do with this discussion? only because there is no a AAA FFA PVP MMO; lets complain every time a new PVE MMO is about to release.

it is as silly as expecting EVE, Darkfall, MO devs to set up spereate servers for those looking for PVE experince.

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Biskop

But that also doesn't mean that you expect a themepark PVE focused MMO to suddenly start making sperate servers for FFA  players. Doesn't matter if Darkfall and Mortal Online are not quality games. What has that got anything to do with this discussion? only because there is no a AAA FFA PVP MMO; lets complain every time a new PVE MMO is about to release.

it is as silly as expecting EVE, Darkfall, MO devs to set up spereate servers for those looking for PVE experince.

I certainly don't expect a FFA server in SWTOR, which I also wrote earlier in this thread.

neither do I complain about the carebears getting yet another cloned themepark to waste their money on; after all, they've already got 98% of the MMO market, so why not let them have 99% of it?

my response was directed at the "people that don't like Darkfall is not hardcore" kind of logic displayed in the post I quoted.

it's the usual drivel coming from DF and MO fanboys; "no one plays our games - it must be because our games are so hardcore!"

believe it or not, but there are actually people who dislikes failed sandboxes just as much as AAA themepark clones.