Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on Race vs Cities

InkRavenInkRaven Member Posts: 26

Okay, I'm pretty set on rolling a Sylvari elementalist (or mesmer) on release. However, I love Divinity's Reach; it's easily my favorite city. The Grove is awesome (all the cities are) but still.

How does your race affect your ability to be in a certain city (if at all). Is Lion's Arch the only omni-race city? For example,  can I create a Sylvari and then run to Divinity's Reach and am I stuck with the Grove for a certain amount of time  as a Sylvari?

Thanks.

Comments

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

At some point after your tutorial when you make it to The Grove, you will be able to use an Asura Gate for free to travel to any of the other major cities.  From there you'll be able to level in the human area or wherever with no problem.  The only thing tying you to The Grove is your personal story, so you'll have to head back there from time to time to progress it, at least until it takes you out into the world.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Wayyy back they talked about that they wanted friends to be able to play together as soon as possible no matter what races they chose. I haven't followed the news enough to say how they've done this.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Cali59's correct. Shortly after the tutorial, you gain access to your capital city (The Grove) and there's Asura Gates which teleport you to any of the capital cities within the game.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Related to the Personal Story, your Home Instance is always in your racial city. The Home Instance is an instanced district of the city that is tied to your personal story and your character. The Home Instance will host some Personal Story events along the way, but it is also an evolving reflection of your progress through your Personal Story and decisions you make in your story effect your Home Instance.

NPCs there will adjust their attitudes towards you and their small talk based on recent events in your Personal Story. The physical make up of the Home Instance may change, NPCs who die in your Story will disappear from your home instance, but may gain a budial site where people will leave flowers, have an annual memorial ceremony, etc...

Seeing your Home Instance evolve based on your Personal Story decisions and actions will be a big part of the way your character connects to the world. It's a big reason while your home city will always have a role in your ongoing play, even though you will always have easy access to the other cities and will find reasons for going there as well. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by fiontar

Related to the Personal Story, your Home Instance is always in your racial city. The Home Instance is an instanced district of the city that is tied to your personal story and your character. The Home Instance will host some Personal Story events along the way, but it is also an evolving reflection of your progress through your Personal Story and decisions you make in your story effect your Home Instance.

NPCs there will adjust their attitudes towards you and their small talk based on recent events in your Personal Story. The physical make up of the Home Instance may change, NPCs who die in your Story will disappear from your home instance, but may gain a budial site where people will leave flowers, have an annual memorial ceremony, etc...

Seeing your Home Instance evolve based on your Personal Story decisions and actions will be a big part of the way your character connects to the world. It's a big reason while your home city will always have a role in your ongoing play, even though you will always have easy access to the other cities and will find reasons for going there as well. :)

This is actually one of the features I am most excited about. Having my own little space in a big world where my decisions have actual effect is very exciting for me. I hope this is something ANet builds off of, perhaps with expansions, we can expand our personal space into newer areas (at the higher levels) that will allow us to feel like we are having an impact upon the world.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by cali59

At some point after your tutorial when you make it to The Grove, you will be able to use an Asura Gate for free to travel to any of the other major cities.  From there you'll be able to level in the human area or wherever with no problem.  The only thing tying you to The Grove is your personal story, so you'll have to head back there from time to time to progress it, at least until it takes you out into the world.

I guess your personall story and your home zone, will allways keep you tightly knit to the grove... You'' just keep returning there time after time... If you decide to play the Personal story that is....  Which you are not required to do...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I guess your personall story and your home zone, will allways keep you tightly knit to the grove... You'' just keep returning there time after time... If you decide to play the Personal story that is....  Which you are not required to do...

Well, at least transit to other regions and the waypoints you've unlocked is fast and easy. Even if you do chart your own course through the PvE world, it should still be easy to return to the Personal Story as desired, with out any inconvenience.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Well, at least transit to other regions and the waypoints you've unlocked is fast and easy. Even if you do chart your own course through the PvE world, it should still be easy to return to the Personal Story as desired, with out any inconvenience.

yes offcourse

On top of that the teleporting between the 5 starter cities will be open for all from the start.... All other teleporting points will need to be unlocked first before you can access them.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

yes offcourse

On top of that the teleporting between the 5 starter cities will be open for all from the start.... All other teleporting points will need to be unlocked first before you can access them.

Between the 5 starter cities and Lion's Arch.

Originally posted by Diovidius

yes offcourse

Why would they open up Lion's arch? ... its not a starting zone...

yes offcourse

Don't ask me, ask Anet. All I know is that you can teleport to Lion's Arch from the start. Maybe it has to do with Anet wanting Lion's Arch to be the hub city.

yes offcourse

Don't ask me, ask Anet. All I know is that you can teleport to Lion's Arch from the start. Maybe it has to do with Anet wanting Lion's Arch to be the hub city.

Could be....

I can imagine if it will be the main city hub and has guildsettlements or something like that..... after soem time when people start making alts, they want to visit Lions Arch very early in their lifes...

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I'm gonna need a source on that.

I guess your personall story and your home zone, will allways keep you tightly knit to the grove... You'' just keep returning there time after time... If you decide to play the Personal story that is.... Which you are not required to do...

Not doing the personal story is (to me) skipping a primary component of the game. The events are more or less side missions to the main story. When people complain about the story and say they don't want to play it, I wonder what kind of game they think they're getting. I know there's PvP, but I still don't know why someone would pass up something so significant.

Also, not really on topic, but periods exist for a reason. I normally wouldn't care or point out something like this, but you abuse ellipses a lot.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I'm sure I've read it somewhere but a quick search yielded nothing. However it just makes sense right? I mean the Asura gates in those six cities are linked, at least lore-wise. Except for Divinity's Reach and the Black Citadel, if you want to travel from one to the other you have to travel via another city, again, lore-wise.

Besides, how exactly would one exclude travel for new players between the five racial capitals and Lion's Arch? Put a level cap on it? What would be the purpose of that?

I'm sure I've read it somewhere but a quick search yielded nothing. However it just makes sense right? I mean the Asura gates in those six cities are linked, at least lore-wise. Except for Divinity's Reach and the Black Citadel, if you want to travel from one to the other you have to travel via another city, again, lore-wise.

Besides, how exactly would one exclude travel for new players between the five racial capitals and Lion's Arch? Put a level cap on it? What would be the purpose of that?

The purpose would be that there could be certain quests that want players to discover the road from their home city to Lions arch.... Instead of just jumping through a gate..

Old EQ and the challenge of running my low level from Queynos to Freeport comes to me..... thats  a game experience i still cherish dearly (as i was one of the few to make it alive)

The purpose would be that there could be certain quests that want players to discover the road from their home city to Lions arch.... Instead of just jumping through a gate..

Old EQ and the challenge of running my low level from Queynos to Freeport comes to me..... thats  a game experience i still cherish dearly (as i was one of the few to make it alive)

If you want to do that then there's nothing stopping you. If other people don't want that, why should it be forced on them? Anet has made it clear that they do not want to force people to do the Personal Story if they don't want to.

I believe Lion's Arch is also the gateway to World vs. World vs. World, which would be why you can get there very shortly after doing the tutorial and taking an Asuran Gate.:)

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

If you want to do that then there's nothing stopping you. If other people don't want that, why should it be forced on them? Anet has made it clear that they do not want to force people to do the Personal Story if they don't want to.

There's actually very good reason to prevent players from teleporting there without exploring it first. Lion's Arch is in a level 30 area. Inexperienced players (nubs) tend to find their way to places they aren't intended to be. These players will stumble into Lion's Arch and be overwhelmed and instantly killed by anything they try to fight.

Any player starting out won't be able to handle whatever challenges they encounter around Lion's Arch, so why give players the option of going to a place where they can't do anything?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss