Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder how many subs Blizzard have lost since the news about the Mists of Pandaria

ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

I'm a long term player of WoW . I started around 6 months after it was released . In that time I've had a few breaks when I've got bored but have always come back to the game especially when theres new content . In the last couple of years I have been a little uneasy in the direction Blizzard seamed to be taking the game but I've hung in there partly because of friends in the game and partly because I thought things may change for the the better . When the news about the new expansion MIsts of Pandaria hit a few days ago many of the players I know in game thought it was just a wind up it seamed so unbelievable that it couldn't be true . Sadly it is . For me its not so much about the Pandas themselves or how they fit into the lore, its more of a confirmation that the game will continue on it current trajectory .  This led me to cancel my subscription along with several other people I know . It wasn't so much of a rage quit as something I'd been building upto over a period of time . I guess the arguement could leveled that I was burned out but its not that really because had the game maintained its quality I could have happily played it for years to come . MOP was the straw that broke the camels back as it were . The thing is I'm not alone . I know several people that have done the same thing as well that are currently playing ( along with some people that have quit and say they will never return because of MOP ) that in itself is a drop in the ocean to Blizzard but I'm betting we are not alone .  I wonder how many people have voted with thier feet since its the news of the expansion came out  . Given the recent "its not a joke" press release by Blizzard I think it must be quite a few becuase if they were not worried by the responce there would be no reason for such an announcement .

Comments

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by oobla

I'm a long term player of WoW . I started around 6 months after . In that time I've had a few breaks when I've got bored but have always come back to the game especially when theres new content . In the last couple of years I have been a little uneasy in the direction Blizzard seamed to be taking the game but I've hung in there partly because of friends in the game and partly because I thought things may change for the the better . When the news about the new expansion MIsts of Pandaria hit a few days ago many of the players I know in game thought it was just a wind up it seamed so unbelievable that it couldn't be true . Sadly it is . For me its not so much about the Pandas themselves or how they fit into the lore, its more of a confirmation that the game will continue on it current trajectory .  This led me to cancel my subscription along with several other people I know . It wasn't so much of a rage quit as something I'd been building upto over a period of time . I guess the arguement could leveled that I was burned out but its not that really because had the game maintained its quality I could have happily played it for years to come . MOP was the straw that broke the camels back as it were . The thing is I'm not alone . I know several people that have done the same thing as well that are currently playing ( along with some people that have quit and say they will never return because of MOP ) that in itself is a drop in the ocean to Blizzard but I'm betting we are not alone .  I wonder how many people have voted with thier feet since its the news of the expansion came out  . Given the recent "its not a joke" press release by Blizzard I think it must be quite a few becuase if they were not worried by the responce there would be no reason for such an announcement .

I would rather play Aion at this point then WoW lol... down hill is down hill

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think it is so many but if they were then maybe Blizz will backtrack the whole panda and Pokemon thing.

After all did they cancel Starcraft: Ghost when the game were ready to go gold.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

While you’re wondering that, I am wondering why you’re wondering this? what does it matter to you? If you don’t want to play it, then don't, sounds like your hoping for some acceptance, that your didn’t make the wrong turn "Its easier when we're more!" ... I don’t get the points of this message, where is it? why are you motivated to post this, when you obviously will never find out how many quit, or how many quit vs. how many will be coming back/start anew.

So seriously what is in it for you to ask a question you know you'll never get an answer to?

I'm getting so tired of reading speculation post about Blizzad, doomsayer going "THIS WILL END BLIZZARD" when nothing, atm, obviously will have a chance competing with them. They lost share on the MMO market, of cause they did. Of cause they would eventually. Blizzard even stated after a year of WoW that they, in their wildest dreams, would never believe it possible to get new players to the game after 5 years.

So now, 7 years after, people got to ask question that has no points, that is not obvious to me, or maybe it should have been, Ill add the tray than:

How many stupid question will people ask about Blizzard in the months to come? - it has no motivation for me, no points, no answer, so I guess I have to ask it.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I'm willing to bet it's over 9000.

Who cares? It'll still have a truckload of subs no matter what.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think it is so many but if they were then maybe Blizz will backtrack the whole panda and Pokemon thing. 

After all did they cancel Starcraft: Ghost when the game were ready to go gold.

They'd lose massive amount of subs if they had to scrap and restart development. WoW's pace of new content is comparable to snails as it is, and once hearing the news that they've restarted development of and expansion alread far in development people would opt to quit instead of waiting.

They have also already sold Mists of Pandaria beta access spots. If they canceled it now they'd lose people's trust and cause many people quit over that.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Hexipox

While you’re wondering that, I am wondering why you’re wondering this? what does it matter to you? If you don’t want to play it, then don't, sounds like your hoping for some acceptance, that your didn’t make the wrong turn "Its easier when we're more!" ... I don’t get the points of this message, where is it? why are you motivated to post this, when you obviously will never find out how many quit, or how many quit vs. how many will be coming back/start anew.

So seriously what is in it for you to ask a question you know you'll never get an answer to?

I'm getting so tired of reading speculation post about Blizzad, doomsayer going "THIS WILL END BLIZZARD" when nothing, atm, obviously will have a chance competing with them. They lost share on the MMO market, of cause they did. Of cause they would eventually. Blizzard even stated after a year of WoW that they, in their wildest dreams, would never believe it possible to get new players to the game after 5 years.

So now, 7 years after, people got to ask question that has no points, that is not obvious to me, or maybe it should have been, Ill add the tray than:

How many stupid question will people ask about Blizzard in the months to come? - it has no motivation for me, no points, no answer, so I guess I have to ask it.

And Im tired of posts targeting people who want to start a Disscussion on a forum site and have to "earn" their right to have an option.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Mellkor

And Im tired of posts targeting people who want to start a Disscussion on a forum site and have to "earn" their right to have an option.

Am not starting a discussion, if you wanna discuss, go ahead! I'm just asking what motivate people to ask questions with no answers. Because half the post nowdays are these half-way estimates on different topics. like "how many quit?" "is red really red or is it green in disguise?" "If i were a turtle i would ..."

Kids usually talk nonsens like this.

I

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Am not starting a discussion, if you wanna discuss, go ahead! I'm just asking what motivate people to ask questions with no answers. Because half the post nowdays are these half-way estimates on different topics. like "how many quit?" "is red really red or is it green in disguise?" "If i were a turtle i would ..."

I

Ah but he/she IS starting a discussion (or attempting to), which seems reasonable given this is a forum and all. You'll notice the title is "I wonder how many..." not "Exactly how many?". People can respond with "not many" or "some" or "lots" and give reasons for why they think that is the case.

If you are concerned about "nonsense" or pointless threads which generate not a great deal in the way of meaningful answers in general, then perhaps a gaming forum for anonymous users on the internet is not the best place to be.

@OP I can't see WoW losing that many subs over it tbh, at least not until an alternative comes along. Many will moan but a small fraction of them will actually cancel I would assume.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

With each new expansion they have released lately, they lose more subs than what they gain. To anyone with half a brain, that would suggest that they are doing something very wrong.

But what do they care, they are still getting bucket loads of cash and will continue to due so no matter what new MMO comes out which is unfortunate as this is what is leading them to their half hearted developements.

I am so glad I no longer play but a game cannot last forever and I wonder how long a life this game has left.

I

This is going off topic abit but as an example;

People still disscuss the possibility of life outside of earth with no real way to definitely know...But it still gets talked about and is highly debated.

If the OP wants to open a disscussion on peoples perceptions and opinions on the possibility of a blizzard climb or decline in sub numbers due to an expansion pack, Why not? it Doenst have to reach a conclusion...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The 'WoW-12month for D3' enticed a lot of the players back and alot of existing WoW players also locked themselves for another 12months. It was a brilliant move.

The next growth target is Asia and this expansion will definitely help in that regards.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

I don’t know really. It sounds to me like back when you were younger or actually some still (even myself) do it (but I don’t need to do it for a freaking computer game!). “Don’t you think that what Meloni said in class today was totally retarded?!?”  Person a: yes! Person b: yes! – woohoo now we’re 3 then we got a case, let’s do something about it. This topic sound exactly like that to me. The need to drag some more people into this, so he’s sure what he doing is not totally off.

Maybe these topics should be called “LF reality check, not sure I took the right choice, I need backups to feel ok!”

Let's leave it at that, its getting off topic. And I'm turning into a troll, where i really didnt wanna. My off-topic in this start to get as pointless.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

sad but true its aaaaaaall business.

blizzard is gathering now those remaining youngster who yet dont play world of warcraft BUT are fans of kungfu panda.

and since those pandarians are in lore they smelled money. 

short cutting for trying to keep it going since original devs left its been going downhill , dont get me wrong i still play myself

and yet this is how i see and feel it.

cheers

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Let's leave it at that, its getting off topic. And I'm turning into a troll, where i really didnt wanna. My off-topic in this start to get as pointless.

Dude, honestly you were trolling it from your first post on the thread.

Regarding the original post, and the OP's opinion and intent.....

I've been on the fence about ditching WoW after (as many people) playing since vanilla and taking a total of about a year and a half off in that time (Vanguard, DDO, AOC, back to EQ, Rift, several others in that time).

The Pandas: I find this absolutely retarded.  Yes they've been put into the lore years and years ago, doesn't mean they should be added ever.  Jesus is in the lore of earth if you're one of them people into christianity, should Sons of the One God be playable in Planetside2?  /shrug.  Idiocy in my opinion but that's not what got me about the xpac.

Misc Game Changes: Talent complete redoux, Removal of flying (and all the golds everyone spent on it) until max level where I'm sure you'll need to repurchase it.  PokeWoW.  Yet another continent of content that you'll be able to go to before or after you stop the burning legion, overthrow Arthas, douse Ragnaros,etc.

The only thing interesting me at all is the monk class, but with all the other things coming in, I'll pass on rolling up a monk on wow thanks.  This upcoming xpac has made me decide to stop paying anything to Bliz after Dec 20th (conveniently the same day my last 3 mo payment expires, funny that).  Between my wife and I we've spent probably close to $300 per year each on the Bliz store (vanity pets, plushes for xmas and birthdays for the kids and neices/nephews, novels, etc) in addition to our 3 subs.  All cancelled over this xpac probably a year before it's released.  Such is the way it goes /shrug

oh, and giving D3 free with taking the one year CONTRACT to play wow, ummm, how shitty must D3 be?  Anyone interested in D3 would buy it anyway so I'm thinking Bliz is hoping nobody realizes when thier wow contract expires and it auto renews locking you into yet another contracted year of payments, OR D3 is complete crap and this bundle is the only way they'll move enough copies to count it as a success by units moved.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

See you all in 2015 when "The Burning Legion" expansion will ruin WoW and Blizzard will die and x mmo will kill it.

Rawr.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

They actually got this one back.  After an honest look at what this expansion brings, it shows that the game is going to be just fine.  I hope more of the people who can't look beyond the suface leave so that the community might improve a bit.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I don’t know really. It sounds to me like back when you were younger or actually some still (even myself) do it (but I don’t need to do it for a freaking computer game!). “Don’t you think that what Meloni said in class today was totally retarded?!?”  Person a: yes! Person b: yes! – woohoo now we’re 3 then we got a case, let’s do something about it. This topic sound exactly like that to me. The need to drag some more people into this, so he’s sure what he doing is not totally off.

Maybe these topics should be called “LF reality check, not sure I took the right choice, I need backups to feel ok!”

This... So much this.

As for the OP's so called question.

No a flying fat f***k of an idea... But i'l bet you a silver dollar that it is far less then you think and that there are way more people liking the idea then you like to admit. But go ahead and do what ever you do... It's a almost free forum.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by blackthornn

oh, and giving D3 free with taking the one year CONTRACT to play wow, ummm, how shitty must D3 be?  Anyone interested in D3 would buy it anyway so I'm thinking Bliz is hoping nobody realizes when thier wow contract expires and it auto renews locking you into yet another contracted year of payments, OR D3 is complete crap and this bundle is the only way they'll move enough copies to count it as a success by units moved.

See i had the other prespective on this than you. I was like "Lets just milk the cashcow (wow) as much as possible before it slowly dies out" I see it as "they would have bought diablo anyways for $50, why not make twice as much, since we will loose alot of our wow base to our new game, we made a game that actually is a compedative to our own brand".. dunno if thats also just me?

I think people are also forgetting if you take the 12 month offer, Your going to have to fork out for MoP aswell mid contract to stay "viable and competitive"

• pensselisetapensseliseta Member Posts: 40

I think a they actually gained subs from the Diablo 3 'yearly pass' offer as someone already pointed out.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

They actually got this one back.  After an honest look at what this expansion brings, it shows that the game is going to be just fine.  I hope more of the people who can't look beyond the suface leave so that the community might improve a bit.

Fat chance.  WoW's community dwells in the gutter.  Pandaland will do nothing to elevate it.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

I think people are also forgetting if you take the 12 month offer, Your going to have to fork out for MoP aswell mid contract to stay "viable and competitive"

How many lost? None. It will take at least 30 days to figure that out. Then you'll have to detrend, remove the seasonal component, and see if the loss, if any, is outside of the normal standard deviation.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    It doesn't matter what Blizzard does at this point. There will be more people that hate on it on this forum than like it. It seems to be cool to post a negative comment on a WoW thread and of course mention you don't play anyway. People seem to want to post an awful lot about something they claim to have no interest in. Will it ever not be hip on here to hate on Blizzard, say their games suck and they're sneaking into your homes at night stealing your money because theyre so greedy. I forgot all the other game companies are in this to just break even. I enjoyed the time I spent in WoW, I don't know how I left without this big chip on my shoulder so many seem to have.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well considering that "people" complain due to lack of content they would have to do that any way so it is not a big loss. Me... I like the fact that i will not have to save the world one critter at the time this time but instead can relax and work on my orc deathcount... Only good orc is a dead orc. The fact that this will be happening in Pandaria is not something i will worry about and the monk class look like a very nice supplement to my warrior, paladin,druid and death knight... Yes i collect tanks.

This have been a good conversation

This discussion has been closed.