Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious what most of you do after a full upgrade

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

What do you guys do with your old machines that you replace?

Reuse some of the components (HDD, Disc drive, Case)? Turn it into a server or media center? Sell it off or the componets? Donated it? Let it collect dust in storage?

Comments

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Well, as far as Cases go, I usually keep them. 

I think that case design, is one area were lots of PC manufactureres just can't design beautiful boxes of metal/plastic/steel, and that is one of the reasons why people vanity run with them and buy apple. if they need to spend crazy dough on a computer it might as well look elegant, and not have some nasty logo that says COOLERMASTER in a font that makes you want to kill yourself.

I got this Define R3 case, and I could not use it after a while, because it couldn't fit my new mobo, but I still keep it. Same thing with sound card as they are taking much longer to become outdated. I also keep mice and gaming keyboards. seems there is always someone who needs a mouse, if they bring their laptops over for a game of league of legends or whatever.

hard drives I just collect. I'm thinking about adding tons of them into a crazy server array, just because it would look cool, but I havent come across anything really fun that could hold +10 sata hard drives that is sticking out everywhere. 

Lastly I am collecting stuff; wires, fans, PSU, ram for a media center.. trying to use my scrap to make the perfect media device. a computer that is turned on 100% of the time. only purpose is to download. it's like a never ending computer building experiment. I also want to open up a old console and build a computer inside a SNES or nintendo 64 or something. those mods are amazing:)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

When i had a job and always a fully up to date monster machine my old pc or componets would go to my dad or little bro (depending who had the lest good stuff) and they would donate thier old pc/componets to folks who needed it either financial or simply as a friend thing to do.

the only time I ever sold my pc was when I hit my depression and faced tons of bills i could not pay hence why i now am using a old 2nd hands machine I got of a ebay type site. never got anything myself like i used to give away my stuff but I really dont mind, a good world starts whit yourself.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by mmoguy43

What do you guys do with your old machines that you replace?

Reuse some of the components (HDD, Disc drive, Case)? Turn it into a server or media center? Sell it off or the componets? Donated it? Let it collect dust in storage?

I usually give my old computer to friends who are still running on something from 5+ years ago

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Lick it and put it on display like a relic from a bygone age in a shiny glass box.

Or throw it in the most unfitting recycling bin possible and wait for the letter of complaint from the trash pick up.

Nah I think I would mostly have it in storage, gathering dust basically.  I feel that selling a piece a bit too old may not gather much interest and be wasted effort.  If I did come across someone wanting it like one of my friends, I guess I'd donate it then.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I pass my old machines on to my parents...always.

Components I swap out (gfx cards etc.) from partial upgrades I give to friends.

I used to hoard parts years ago, but unless I get into making weird sculptures all of that stuff is obsolete now. Now I just recycle by redistribution image