Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Top Five things you look for in a F2P MMO, and Top Five most annoying things (community opinion)

*Edit*  (Answer one/both of the questions and the most popular choices will be here. Moved my responses few posts down.) 

What do you expect to see for you to play a F2P MMORPG?

What are the most annoying features about F2P MMOs?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Zooce

Alternatively, what are the five most annoying features that you expect to see in F2P MMOs?

1.  FFA PVP Full Loot

2.  "Sandbox" that isn't; see above

3.  Teenage Wasteland, including a community that speaks netchat.  Nubz.  Pwnd.

4.  Really poor production values, no polish, lots of bugs, developer response time to issues measured in years.

5  You too can win for the low low price of $300 in our cash shop.  "Expansion" = more cash shop merchandise.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

F2P isn't real. Free 2 Install and Load the game is.

I have the feeling that we will be nickel & dimed to death. We will most likely end up paying 15 per month for standard crap that we need to play the game at a comfortable level, e.g., selecting a race, class, being able to harvest rares, being able to hold more than 5 gold, being able to use auction house, being able to use a mount, being able to talk in /private, being able to do anything needed to play.

On top of that: XP pots, fast mounts that will be handy in pvp, weapons, aesthetics, etc...

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

A popup that displays all the benefits of buying certain items everytime you try and do anything

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Alternatively, what are the five most annoying features that you expect to see in F2P MMOs? 

5.  Immature community

4.  Low exp rate with time-limited booster available in cash shop

3.  Crippling small backpack space with time-limited expansions only available in cash shop

2.  Slow to release updates and fix bugs

1.  Terrible lag and issues with disconnecting

What five features do you expect to see for you to regularly play a F2P MMORPG?

5.  Must contain ideas adapted and improved upon from current P2P games.

4.  There must be Gambling options to win prizes and enchant your gear.

3.  Cash shop items must be tradeable and purchasable with in-game currency

2.  Must appeal to women (they spend 1.5x more than men, and every guild needs at least one).

1.  Must be enjoyable without purchase in cash shop (nonspenders will advertise through word of mouth). 

Originally posted by precious328

F2P isn't real. Free 2 Install and Load the game is.

I have the feeling that we will be nickel & dimed to death. We will most likely end up paying 15 per month for standard crap that we need to play the game at a comfortable level, e.g., selecting a race, class, being able to harvest rares, being able to hold more than 5 gold, being able to use auction house, being able to use a mount, being able to talk in /private, being able to do anything needed to play.

On top of that: XP pots, fast mounts that will be handy in pvp, weapons, aesthetics, etc...

I Disagree.  While there definately are plenty of misleading F2P games designed to force you into the cash shop, its not always the case.  My #1 expectation is that the game be enjoyable without personally spending in the shop, and they exist.  For it to work the CS items must be obtainable through normal gameplay (collecting gold through grinding/questing/crafting).

As for your other points (race, class, hold 5+gold, use AH, mount, /private) I agree- very annoying, and such limitations would be enough to keep me away from a F2P.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I expect.

1. A unique experience, rather than just another wow-clone.

2. Not to feel like I have to buy my way to power. I don't mind experience potions but I don't want to feel like I need to buy those items in order to advance. And I am very much against items that offer real power, though don't mind mounts, cosmetic or convenience items.

I'm annoyed by.

1. Games that don't feature good anti-spam protection and allow gold spammers to spam the world chat.

2. Games that allow you to buy your way to power. Same rules apply as above.

Appreciate the responses so far and looking for tons more feedback!  

From previous satirical features by the site crew I know there are plenty of people passionate about F2P MMOs.  I don't mind sifting through satirical responses since I appreciate the humor, but try to include legitimate opinions too! (and be sure you don't offend anyone)

Annoying feature:

1.  Company let me spend 1.9k in cash shop (that's just not right, they should help me control my spending)

Is asking for opinions without first stirring the nest (as done in staff articles) an exercise in futility?

• VelerakVelerak Member Posts: 20

As it's free, not much to complain about tbh.. except:

Big assed box in the middle of my playzone that says UPGRADE that I keep clicking on.  Come on Fallen Earth devs, that is bloody annoying lol...

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Yes, cause we really needed another thread of people complaining about F2Ps and saying how they are not really "free" bull**** cause people dont understand that there are just bad / greedy businesses out there which is no different then bad P2P games. Blame the companies not the model.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Most crappy.

1. Cash Shops that sell items of power(pay to win)

2. Cash shops that sell items that are exclusive

3. Cash shops that sell time limited buffs

4. Area's or features locked off at start from free players.

5. cash shops

Thing I wana see.

1. A game thats fully open to a free user, with nothing locked off, and no shop exclusive items

2. A game thats polished and fun.

3. Cash shops that only sell cosmetic items/dress , xp/honor boosts , character level boosts , stat respecs , health boosts , ability to buy an EXTRA proffesion over and above the normal 2 or 3.

4. A game thats tunned for the free player, and not tunned to require players to buy tons of heal boosts or item enhancers to kill a mob or boss.

5. A game thats fair and does not give a player who spends a million an unfair advantage in PVE or PVP over a player who does not pay anything.

Cash shops and item malls are the bain of the gaming world, I wish people would realize this sooner, and I say this as some one who has regularly spent money on free to play games, and I always quit them for the same reason, I either get owned by some one who can spend more money than me, or by some one who paid his way into better equipment.

I have yet to see , and would love an example of a cash shop that exists right now that does not give a paying player more power, or more equipment over a free player.

Free players are free loaders, they make up the bulk of an mmo server, make your game feel alive, so its not like their a plague or pain to those who wish to pay, their needed!, and should be given the same respect and options that a paying player gets, shy those options above like boosts to xp,honor etc.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

1.  Free to play, but pay to win. I cannot stand games where whoever spends the most money in the cash shop is the better player.

2.  Small playerbases

3.  Unpolished

Basically if it isn't pay to win, has a decent sized playerbase, and its polished I'll play it. And right now it seems that the only games that fit that criteria are League of Legends and... yeah that's about it. LoL and Warcraft III are going to have to entertain me at least until GW2 is released. Seems as though that day will never come :(

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

The 5 things I look for:

1. away

2. away

3. away

4. away

5. away

Most annoying:

1. it exists

2. it exists

3. it exists

4. it exists

5. it exists

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

*Edit*  (Answer one/both of the questions and the most popular choices will be here. Moved my responses few posts down.) 

What do you expect to see for you to play a F2P MMORPG?

3.     === Don't expect nothing really it's free! Since it's free d/l try it out, if you don't like uninstall and move on!

2.   /

1. /

3.     ==== P2W (most annoying thing of any game free or not)

2.   /

1. /