Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC universe status

I dnt get it how long it must  take to announce dam game to go in f2p and able to dw.They said in october but cmon they wait the nearly fricking end of october?

Comments

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by DogPeeTree

I dnt get it how long it must  take to announce dam game to go in f2p and able to dw.They said in october but cmon they wait the nearly fricking end of october?

It's still october, pay the £8.99 too play early or just wait ;)

Watch the stickam f2p podcast on thursday, "Most are sure they'll announce the date"

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

It is now November.  What is the deal here ?

Money is the root of all evil.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

http://www.soe.com/getthegame/?locale=en_EN

http://launch.soe.com/installer/DCUO_setup.exe

There's the downloader for the F2P client. Too bad it doesn't use EQ2's download & play system. You gotta get the whole 14Gb before you can play...

• mikepaulmikepaul Member Posts: 4

I'm all logged in to PSN and ready to download.  Since I never played before, I have no idea how much fun I'll get for free but I'd like to get started...

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by DeViLzzz2007
    It is now November.  What is the deal here ?

Maintenance Notification November 1st

"We will perform maintenance on DC Universe Online beginning at 4:00 a.m. US Pacific Time on November 1, 2011 to introduce Free to Play.

Due to the complexity of this transition we are unable to provide an exact estimate but will provide updates throughout the day. Thanks for your patience and we look forward to seeing you in game!"

Deal explained. :)

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

I'm kind of looking forward to giving this one a try as F2P, just to hold me over 'till SWTOR.  Is it any good?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by mmogawd
    I'm kind of looking forward to giving this one a try as F2P, just to hold me over 'till SWTOR.  Is it any good?

It's good, quick combat. The PvP isn't complex like other games but it's pretty addictive.

It's more of a thing where a certain type of build has planned advantages over another, as weird as that sounds. Like if you are a controller, you get a natural advantage over healers (plant based or sorcery based). If you are a healer, you get an advantage over tanks (ice or fire based). If you are a tank, you get an advantage over controllers. So kind of like an extended Rock, Paper, Scissors.

The PvE missions are very fun but the trip from 1-30 is very fast. There is lots of solo content, duo content and four man content in the game where at launch there wasn't. If someone was starting now in this game, they'd actually have something worth subbing for unlike launch. The storylines are some of the best in the industry imo, because your toon actually gets pretty immersed from your "mentor" (Superman, Batman, Lex Luthor, etc) and that part flows pretty nicely until the end.

I think this is the reason they are going to do a re-launch of sorts as FTP. Probably a lot of people will try it now and see it's really not that bad now and doesn't require a huge time investment like say.. leveling a FTP toon in EQ2, AoC, Fallen Earth or any of the more typical DIKU mmos are.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

It doesn't have the substance to be a "play 5 hours every day"-type MMO, but as a on-off type of game I found it very enjoyable. That playstyle should now be much more valid with the f2p model.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by mmogawd

to give you a bit of an idea i got 212 hours played on my account and that was with all the bugs and other stuff from launch included.

I quit due to people leaving the game since it lacked the drive to pay for it for some people and most couldn't look past the bugs and lack of content at the time which in turn turned the game into a ghost town, however with the free to play and new content being added i THINK it's gonna get packed as there will be DC/super hero fans that wouldn't pay for it "flocking" to it now aswell as people just looking for something different or new to try (take yourself for example).

The combat from what i remember, while not always the best, was a bit more dynamic and challenging then most games i've played as you have to make combos and use your skills to pull of good dps while controllers (read "power batteries") have to keep up the group/raid power bars of everyone with the healers also doing dps and blowing their heals whenever needed.

Rolling/blocking also factors heavily into combat making it feel more like an action game then rpg.

Apart from the combat, you also have pvp Arenas where you can play as either heroes/villains or your own toon, open world pvp, 2 man instances, raids, normal 5 man and heroic 5 man instances, collectibles that give you costume parts when you get a full set and a couple more things i can't remember atm.

I'm probably making myself sound fan boyish and all so that's why i'd say since it's free just go try it yourself when the servers are up, you won't really lose anything besides time.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Naqaj

It doesn't have the substance to be a "play 5 hours every day"-type MMO, but as a on-off type of game I found it very enjoyable. That playstyle should now be much more valid with the f2p model.

... and 5 hrs per day is a good thing ?  the mmorpg community is sick in the head

Money is the root of all evil.

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

It depends how dedicated you are to the game.

I can easily get 3-5+ hours a day out of dcuo.

From the pvp'ing, farming t1 alert for styles or T2's for my armor, then on raiding day.

then the collecting... trying to get skill points from feats.

daily Duo's

doing my daily renown quests.

More pvping.....

All depends on what you class as fun, I tend to enjoy my time in dcuo.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Sounds like it has more then WoW for me then, WoW has 20-30minutes of instance running and 30-60 minutes of dailies, for money I no longer need.

If I take raiding into acount, it adds a few hours  and stil barely get to 2 hours worth of game play, per day.