Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried AoC again.. uninstalled the next day.

I just wanted to say that I returned to AoC only to see that it was once again a total waste of time. Although some things have been improved, the boring core of the game is still there, plus there are now many new issues.

I won't go into any deep analysis because I feel that AoC has already stolen too much of my time, but I will say that if you are like me and consider trying it again, don't bother, there are better options out there.

It really sucks that Conan IP was killed like this because I'm a huge Conan fan. If only some other development company had picked it up, it could have been awesome.

That was just my experience though. Yours may differ.

I will now go look for something else. Have a nice day.

Comments

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I enjoyed AoC for about a year from launch.  Power-leveling was easy and I loved AoE grinding with friends in the deathmaster camps.  I had several 80's and was a raid leader for my guild.  At first, the raid encounters were buggy and able to be farmed repeatedly with no downtime (even soloable).  Eventually, T1 and T2 raids were decently tuned and provided months of fun raiding.  The buggy PvP sieges were fun as well, but people resorted to glitching through walls and other cheap tactics.  Seemed like everyone was quitting, but I had plenty of blind faith at that time.  The instanced PvP games were pretty enjoyable- my only complaint being the pool of participants was too small.  I hoped they would implement cross-server games. 

Recently, like you, I saw AoC was F2P and wanted to check it out.  After downloading the trial I played until level 5 and uninstalled.  I guess free is worth it for someone who never played it back when it was new, but AoC felt quite dated during my brief relapse.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well to each their own. I hope you find a game that you like.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I found leveling to be really boring and quit somewhere in the 30's I believe.  It's a great IP but a pretty boring MMO to level in.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Each to their own I guess.  I enjoyed AoC when I started, and I still do.

Even though I've had some periods when I get tired with it, I keep coming back and am enjoying it at present.

I also played Rift, taking a couple of months' break from AoC, but it wasn't to my liking (wasn't keen on the mechanics, and didn't find it immersive, personally).

I've never tried or played WoW but, based on my experience in Rift, don't intend to.

Hope you find a game you enjoy.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I( went back like 6 weeks ago I am loving it with friends. We all rolled on Deathwish pvp server and have been having a blast pvping and tearing people apart. The game is what you make of it. Seems the OP went into it with a piss poor attitude to just have uninstalled so fast and not really give any actual reasons why he did so. To each his own I guess.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by ElementsWoE

I just wanted to say that I returned to AoC only to see that it was once again a total waste of time. Although some things have been improved, the boring core of the game is still there, plus there are now many new issues.

I won't go into any deep analysis because I feel that AoC has already stolen too much of my time, but I will say that if you are like me and consider trying it again, don't bother, there are better options out there.

It really sucks that Conan IP was killed like this because I'm a huge Conan fan. If only some other development company had picked it up, it could have been awesome.

Op has one post under there belt, it seems a shame that they have nothing positive to say about another MMORPG, maybe MMO's  are not their type of game.

• ElementsWoEElementsWoE Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Beacker

I( went back like 6 weeks ago I am loving it with friends. We all rolled on Deathwish pvp server and have been having a blast pvping and tearing people apart. The game is what you make of it. Seems the OP went into it with a piss poor attitude to just have uninstalled so fast and not really give any actual reasons why he did so. To each his own I guess.

The "attitude" I had was that I wanted a game that would be entertaining. I didn't find Age of Conan any more entertaining than what it was when it launched. I guess the core of the game is just boring to me.

I have since installed Rift, which I will now play for the next 30 days. Rift is nothing super amazing, but it will hold my interest at least for 1 month, hopefully. Age of Conan just doesn't have that and I always want to uninstall it after just 1 day of playing.

• wootinwootin Member Posts: 259

Same here, I didn't get far before I realized they'd taken the freewheeling, dynamic, dangerous realm where Conan had adventured his way to the crown of Aquilonia, and turned it into a WoW-grind with appropriately-leveled bags of two-legged loot and xps conveniently placed for your "enjoyment". What a disappointment. Same as they did with Star Wars Galaxies, they just can't do anything but the same old thing.

• benbizzbenbizz Member Posts: 43

It would be so nice to find an MMO to fill my time until some of the AAA titles start releasing. I've had an itch for a good one for a few years now and nothing can satisfy it. :(

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by Beacker

The "attitude" I had was that I wanted a game that would be entertaining. I didn't find Age of Conan any more entertaining than what it was when it launched. I guess the core of the game is just boring to me.

I have since installed Rift, which I will now play for the next 30 days. Rift is nothing super amazing, but it will hold my interest at least for 1 month, hopefully. Age of Conan just doesn't have that and I always want to uninstall it after just 1 day of playing.

Hope you enjoy RIFT longer then I, I'm an old school gamer and the break neck leveling speed was not for me, but it does have the best class system that is out, imho (at lease tell TSW).

Have fun, good luck.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Yup.  AOC had all the makings of the perfect MMO: Awesome mounts, Blood and Gore, Amazing graphics, and the best IP possible.  Then, it launched.  Bugs galore/memory leaks, stagnant gameplay beyond level 20, limited use of mounts, horrible PVP, ugly gear, useless gear, terrible PVP scenarios, excessive PVP/E exploits, bland colorization of characters, and exaggerated class imbalances all made it the wonderful game it is today.

You know what really gets me though?  What really irks me?  At the end of the day, it was one final factor that made me call it quits.  In beta, we used to be able to say whatever we wanted.  You had to really lay into someone with f-bombs to get banned.  There was actual freedom of speech, kind of like on Megadeth.com.  So, a week after launch I got my account warned and suspended on the official forums for saying the F-word (not at somebody, just in passing), which was blatantly allowed in beta, and is allowed in all M-rated games.  Then the devs were talking about toning down the blood and gore, and putting clothing back on the female game models, and I knew this was not my game.  I hate Funcom for this, I really do.  Censorship is Un-Fucking American!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

As a casual player I have to say that the first 20 levels were the best I have ever played in an MMO and I have played many of them, voice acting , interesting quests, great story line, night and day, fantastic combat, suspensfull PvP. then when you hit level 21 it all stopped, . the story bacame predictable, no voice acting, no night and day, combat was still good but melee characters although fun were gimped , PvP was ok but became gank fest, although I ganked a few with my invisible Ranger. The game just went from very exciting to dull with no crafting . Start another character, why same starting area , once was exciting , fresh , different , the second time was -----not as good, you have done it before.  

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

AoC has nice graphics, but aside from that, I don't think it's a very good game at all. The combat is annoying, the animations are robotic, the quests are mediocre, and the endgame is a massive grind.

I didn't even like Tortage.  Way too much running back and forth.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Age of conan was one of the best mmo experiences ive had yet... Heres just a couple of my opinons

Graphics are very nice for an mmo but not as good as something you would see in a modern day pc game. World of warcraft's MoP has nothing on AoC's khitai with its lush asian inspired landscapes and characters.

Sound is hands down the best ive heard in any mmorpg.

Questing is pretty much the same. But its worth while to note that its basicly the same NPC system Swtor is offering just with alot less voice acting. (yes choices do effect the "story" oucomes on occasions)

Combat system is a nice "fresh" take on how combat could be. Trying to preload combos as melee is quite challenging In pvp in paticular you have to become quite skilled in order to kill an opponent. 

Real open world PvP...lots of people want it, age of conans got it and unlike games like world of warcraft losing/wining matters. combat statisitcs  are recorded so everyone can see how well you do overall..Might have to think twice about jumping someone with a 75% win kill ratio...  

I was Raiding (and gearing up) pre level cap with my very friendly guild which was one of the great things about my time there. The gear:skill ratio in this game is much closer to skill, I was able to do things without the "best" gear and still perfom great. This doesnt happen in games like rift or wow where your expected to be "capped" and exxcessivly geared before your even considered to be picked for raids.

Feats and AA provided more flexablity than most games ive played, i was able to play proficantly in either "spec" i decided and i could be very creative with within those specs. AA i had mixed feelings about..On the surface it looked like a great way for max level players to progress there character instead of gear farming and such like most endgame. Flip side is it could take 6 weeks to aquire a skill real time (much akin to how eve online is imo)     

Why did i leave/Bench it?

Doing "endgame" daily quests and waiting for AA to count down or raid lockouts felt like i was always waiting for something to finish.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Their idea of endgame is raiding or grinding basically. Thats why I left at the start of this year having played from early access launch.

The journey of leveling 1-80 is great the first couple of times and I guess the new areas on the godslayer pack injected some freshness back into the leveling process (I have 5 level 80's) but the endgame is garbage and ive played all the way through tier 3 raiding and done all instances on godslayer mode at least twice (a couple of those are interesting the first few times but then reality sets in and you realise its a gear grind).

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

The first 20 levels were great, after that was vomit.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • phoboxphobox Member UncommonPosts: 18

Is there a point to downloading the client now that its F2P you think ?

Or should I save my bandwidth?

I seek to find the Perfect MMO, do you have what I seek?

• ElementsWoEElementsWoE Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by SuperXero89

AoC has nice graphics, but aside from that, I don't think it's a very good game at all. The combat is annoying, the animations are robotic, the quests are mediocre, and the endgame is a massive grind.

I agree with the Tortage part. I've never understood why majority likes Tortage. To me it was just boring little instanced zones with that running back and forth you talked about. It's just one big boring corridor that you are forced to run through.

If Funcom had focused less on Tortage and more on rest of the game, maybe AoC hadn't failed. But I guess they used a strategy where they lured people in with the early content, only to disappoint them later. They probably assumed that they would be able to fix the later levels before players start to quit in masses, but they underestimated the number of bugs and other issues that they had to deal with first.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Tortage was worth doing the first time. The other times... Not so much.

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

I played it for roughly 2hours and havn't gone back,  i didnt find anything to wrong with it, it just dosnt grab you 

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I agree with the Tortage part. I've never understood why majority likes Tortage. To me it was just boring little instanced zones with that running back and forth you talked about. It's just one big boring corridor that you are forced to run through.

If Funcom had focused less on Tortage and more on rest of the game, maybe AoC hadn't failed. But I guess they used a strategy where they lured people in with the early content, only to disappoint them later. They probably assumed that they would be able to fix the later levels before players start to quit in masses, but they underestimated the number of bugs and other issues that they had to deal with first.

To me If the whole game was like Tortage than it would have been a rousing success

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I found leveling to be really boring and quit somewhere in the 30's I believe.  It's a great IP but a pretty boring MMO to level in.

Yeah, first time I played which was about a year after launch, I levelled a HoX to 30.... then quit

Went back when it went F2P and levelled a Barbarian to 32....

Something is definately lacking at around that point in the game. From what I hear the Khitia expansion gives you lots of good levelling upto about 45, but I wasnt willing to spend money to find out....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

I have to agree with everything the OP says.

Maybe it's just not for me, but IMO it's a waste of Bandwidth.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Great engine, graphics.

Tortage is excellent.

Zonelines, zonelines everywhere - horrible.

Four keys for one ability? GTFO

More zonelines here.

The bottom three issues are why I couldn't stand to play past 37, personally - though I managed to hit 80 while offline with the strange leveling system they added later on.