Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things of 2.0 you don't like?

DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there that isn't liking some of the 2.0 changes. When I was reading the .pdf's of the changes and the announcement itself, I was pretty excited for the features, but now that I've been reading them again and some interviews, I'm not so sure if this is what I want FFXIV to become.

The main point's I'm not liking are mostly choices of design that makes me think Yoshi-P is trying to make the game a run of the mill MMO. keyboard and mouse support is a must have, but the UI is really too "WoW" like. More troubling than that is he is wanting add-ons to be a big part of the new UI, which is a big turn off.

Then he's making a cross-realm LFD system like WoW's, while making region specific servers. These are two things that I know are going to hurt the community XIV. He's talking about adding PVP as well, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but the lore of the 3 companies are that they aren't really out to get each other. Unless they change that up to 2.0 through storylines, it's going to feel out of place, since the PVP is centric around the 3 Grand Companies.

Anyone else feel Yoshi-P is out to make it a run of the mill themepark MMO? I know it won't be in the end, because of the devoted crafting classes and the ability to switch classes on one character, but I can't help but feel that Yada's vision would be better for XIV.

Comments

• TJCATJCA Member CommonPosts: 27

I have some of the same feelings as you. One of the reasons I started playing FFXIV was the absence of PvP, a feature I feel usually brings more cons than pros. But as a business move I can't blame the developers. That and the fact the producer is a huge PvP fan. So far he seems to be taking careful steps in making sure PvP does not affect PvE, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

The same with addons, I'm not real excited about them either, but as long as they never balance the game around them, that is what matters I guess. Addons should never be "required" to play. Not that I ever listen to those players anyway.

As for the group finder, I thought the same as you, but Yoshi-P did give a very good explanation, talking about lower level players having problems finding groups as the game ages. That makes sense and is true enough. I think the key for such things is being able to block anyone cross-server. That would cut down on a lot of complaints with the group finder issue.

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

I personally think it is genious of them to want to include mods for the ui....no one can complain about the ui then. If there's something you don't like, customize it yourself!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by TJCA

I have some of the same feelings as you. One of the reasons I started playing FFXIV was the absence of PvP, a feature I feel usually brings more cons than pros. But as a business move I can't blame the developers. That and the fact the producer is a huge PvP fan. So far he seems to be taking careful steps in making sure PvP does not affect PvE, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

The same with addons, I'm not real excited about them either, but as long as they never balance the game around them, that is what matters I guess. Addons should never be "required" to play. Not that I ever listen to those players anyway.

As for the group finder, I thought the same as you, but Yoshi-P did give a very good explanation, talking about lower level players having problems finding groups as the game ages. That makes sense and is true enough. I think the key for such things is being able to block anyone cross-server. That would cut down on a lot of complaints with the group finder issue.

No matter what (unless each add-on is verified by SE) they will give an advantage over those who don't use them. That's what they're for.

And FFXI has been doing fine for 10 years now without cross-realm LFG. I can only see this as a way to draw in the standard MMO crowd, sadly.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

what i dont like about 2.0 is that its gonna take 12-14 months to get here and they expect us to pay to beta test it.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Yea a lot of the stuff didnt sound too hot , the biggest for me , and i may be wrong but i heard they were going away from the almost seamless world and making it more zoned , thats a heartbreaker  for me, its the main reason i liked it and  iv come to mainly only likie seamless open world  games  , i mean cmon its 2011 and it was done perfectly like 8+ years ago  on a freeking playstation 2 with everquest (totaly seamless world) it should be absurdly easier today , seamless world's like in vanguard/darkfall and the few others out like them are the future, not zones.

Originally posted by Draron

No matter what (unless each add-on is verified by SE) they will give an advantage over those who don't use them. That's what they're for.

And FFXI has been doing fine for 10 years now without cross-realm LFG. I can only see this as a way to draw in the standard MMO crowd, sadly.

FFXi has ui mods they just require hacking the DATs but theyve been around for years.

—Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Kenze

FFXi has ui mods they just require hacking the DATs but theyve been around for years.

Windower (if that's what you mean) isn't a UI add-on really, it just shows hidden data. UI add-ons are capable of much more. 

Originally posted by Kenze

Windower (if that's what you mean) isn't a UI add-on really, it just shows hidden data. UI add-ons are capable of much more. 

yeah and I meant much more than Windower has been around for a long time. Dont ask me to link them cause as i said they involve DAt hacks that are against the eula and tos and stuff. You can find what im talking about if you look. things from ui skinning to meters and automation.

—Lao-Tze

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Ya know, all of you getting miffed at the changes and "Paying" to play the new beta could simply stop playing.

Let them know you mean business when you shut them down.

• LeepeFoxLeepeFox Member Posts: 17

I am excited about the UI mods since I played FFXI for so long, it would have been nice to have a custom UI. FF14's UI sucks and I would like to have a better one, modders have that ability to quickly make a good looking mod and modders actually listen to fans unlike Square-enix. What I do not want is mods like World of Warcraft's Deadly boss mods which is basically Mom and Dad holding your hand and having raid guilds listing that mod as a requirement. That mods removes all challenge from fights.

The pvp is nothing new, FFXI has pvp and it sucks, it is boring and you can tell how popular it is, when SE released the pvp in FFXI, they held a tournament and everyone rushed in to do it, a week later after the tournament ended, you would see maybe 5-6 people doing the pvp games and thats it, the whole system was dead. How did they put pvp into FFXI? well through competitions between the nations, like a sports game and that is probably what they will do here in FF14.

The cross server looking for group system will kill the community in FF14. No more will people be shouting looking for groups now this can be good since I remember shouting for up to 8 hours for rank missions in FFXI. However here the LFG system will kill the community since, take a look at World of warcraft, how many jerks do you run into when doing a random dungeon? a lot. the system will break down the social network that this game has and it will be everyman for himself. Ninja looting will be common since the chances of you seeing that person in the group again will never happen.

Everything else looks great, can't wait till it comes out. Though I am not all that thrilled about the Pay to Play Beta model that have coming up.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

The reasons why I hated FF14 when it came out was because.....

It wasnt ff14. it was ff11-2. All the classes countried and races were the same with a graphics copy paste world overhaul. When most gamers like myself complained and said we wanted jump and more speed we did not mean auto attack or just jumping as a f2p eden eternal emotion.

The whole idea of a vast 3d world is supposed to be no limits. If the wanted to make it more realistic and say if you have heavy armor you cant run/swim/jump unless your a dragoon class for jump i would have been epic win! If they said a person in medium armors stamina went down 2x faster when running and swimming and his jump was 1/2 i would be like good job, but if he had cloth he should be able to run faster jump higher and swim farther. 

I wanted the Humes, Moogles (almost every ff since ff3 usa version), Viera ff12.tactics advanced a2,bangaa,nu mou, seeq, gria, dwarfs, or even the first animal races of any rpg. So like anyone i coplained. 

The very first ui they had was really unbarable, but it had to be for the console users. Instead of making the console different then the pc they just changed them both to be easier. The only real problem i had with combat was lag time, i checked my ping over and over it was always high, but when i checked it verses speedtest it was perfect. So when my energy wen up and I hit the exact skill when i had enough energy by the time the sprite actually attacked the energy was back up to full.

I like the whole equip a weapon be the class system always did, along with the jobs. It would have been fun to have your own recipe tab thou so you didn't have to go back to a website everytime, in my mind most like monster hunters recipes. 

2.0 really isn't addressing most of the actual problems we had with the game. It was pleanty pretty enough, We just wasnted a new vast world, and not a remake of the other one. I'm glad square started dumping more money into the dragon quest online then this thou since it has more opertunity then this game does not to be a success check out its site. http://www.dqx.jp/

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I disagree x2.

1: Add-ons are not (with some few exceptions, though) made to give players advantages over players who don't use them. Their intentions are mainly to customize or make better use of parts of the ui.

2: FFXI been doing fine all these years without cross-realm LFG? WHAT? Tell that to my DRG who spent days and sometimes weeks, trying to join or setup parties, mostly without any luck at all. My main reason for quitting that game.

Btw, FFXI isn't 10 years. The JP PS2 version is over 9, but the oldest NA version (PC), is exactly 8 years old today.

As for the topic, things about 2.0 i don't like:

1. Kenze's point about paying to beta test for 1+ year is quite spot on, imo. I'm not completely insane yet, so that's not something I'm remotely considering to do.

2. SE (Yoshi) talks a lot about the upcoming changes, but try to read the "roadmap". It really doesn't say a lot. I'm actually not sure 2.0 is gonna change much, except for the UI, which may or may not be better than the crap we have today.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by Netspook

I disagree x2.

1: Add-ons are not (with some few exceptions, though) made to give players advantages over players who don't use them. Their intentions are mainly to customize or make better use of parts of the ui.

2: FFXI been doing fine all these years without cross-realm LFG? WHAT? Tell that to my DRG who spent days and sometimes weeks, trying to join or setup parties, mostly without any luck at all. My main reason for quitting that game.

Btw, FFXI isn't 10 years. The JP PS2 version is over 9, but the oldest NA version (PC), is exactly 8 years old today.

As for the topic, things about 2.0 i don't like:

1. Kenze's point about paying to beta test for 1+ year is quite spot on, imo. I'm not completely insane yet, so that's not something I'm remotely considering to do.

2. SE (Yoshi) talks a lot about the upcoming changes, but try to read the "roadmap". It really doesn't say a lot. I'm actually not sure 2.0 is gonna change much, except for the UI, which may or may not be better than the crap we have today.

Well said.  The worse thing about 2.0 is you get to pay for it before they actually deliver it.  From what I saw of it, the game is almost ready for beta testing, which is when I get paid.  I don't pay to beta test anything.  I might do it for free, but I will never pay to beta test anything.

I disagree x2.

The bolded part is reason enough not to include add-ons. No downloads should give you an advantage in game.

And FFXI's LFG is just fine with the inclusion of Level Sync. When I still played early this year, there were always groups going on in the Dunes and Qufim. Find a good linkshell and you'll find a party easily. The fact that DRG wasn't seeked often isn't something cross-realm LFG will fix, that is bad game design to make a class not wanted.

The LFG that's going to be included won't be for leveling either, but for story missions and such. Leveling can't be compared between XI and XIV since you can fill a party role quite easily as long as you are under that Disciple (War or Magic), and is much easier than finding a healer (for example) that only 2 Jobs could fill out of the 20 in XI.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I don't like that it won't be done until 2013 and they're asking me to pay for what the game is now.  Strange marketing to show us all this great stuff, tell us it won't be done for over a year, and then ask for money. Meanwhile games like TOR, Firefall, Tera, GW2, TSW and the new WoW expansion will be out (not to mention all the single player games.) How is this game going to remain relevant to the wider MMO audience (the people not playing now?)

This game is not ready for paid subscriptions IMO. It does not hold up to any AAA MMO currently on the market, and I'll go out on a limb and say it won't be able to compete with any of the upcoming AAA MMO's either. It doesn't even hold up to some of the better F2P games. FFXIV's fate as a niche game is sealed, which is really just another way of saying that not too many people are going to be playing.

I came back for 1.9, had fun for a few weeks and now I can't log in for more than 15 minutes without alt+F4'ing out of the game. 

I disagree x2.

The bolded part is reason enough not to include add-ons. No downloads should give you an advantage in game.

Be more specific, please, because generalising addons like that, is just silly. What are you so afraid of? Give one example on how you will suffer because other players are using addons. If you can.

Be more specific, please, because generalising addons like that, is just silly. What are you so afraid of? Give one example on how you will suffer because other players are using addons. If you can.

No specifics needed. If you think it's "silly", then think so. But any advantage other people don't have (and PS3 players might not even be able to get some, that's to be seen) is gamebreaking IMO.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I have yet to try the game, because SE has done nothing to impress me since the company was made.  Squaresoft was awesome, Square -Enix is horrible.

Any chance they had of luring me in died when I found out there is no jumping in the game. Some called it petty, but my reasoning was simple, it's something that almost every other online game does, you put a simple physics engine in the game, and you allow people to jump. Apparently thats not the feel they were going for, I remember people telling me the were focusing on more important parts. But I think making a vast world that is open to explore is a important part of creating an online world.

I also kinda figured that with how I think about Square-Enix, if they didn't take the time to add jumping to the game, like most of their titles they were adding a ton of pretty graphics, and little to any other substance. And after a year they are asking people to pay for a product that is almost unanimously a called a beta by the community, and something the company was so embarressed of they just recently thought they should start charging for. (I bet that has to do more with company performance right now and the need for japan to generate income than the game being ready)

So yeah I hope the game dies. (They need to cut losses and work on something that is actually marketable)  If you have some grand delusion that it will go on to be the next 10+million subscription game that history quotes as having a "rocky start", I would like to also talk to you about some beautiful beach side property in Kansas I have for sell.

Originally posted by Morgaren

I have yet to try the game, because SE has done nothing to impress me since the company was made.  Squaresoft was awesome, Square -Enix is horrible.

Any chance they had of luring me in died when I found out there is no jumping in the game. Some called it petty, but my reasoning was simple, it's something that almost every other online game does, you put a simple physics engine in the game, and you allow people to jump. Apparently thats not the feel they were going for, I remember people telling me the were focusing on more important parts. But I think making a vast world that is open to explore is a important part of creating an online world.

I also kinda figured that with how I think about Square-Enix, if they didn't take the time to add jumping to the game, like most of their titles they were adding a ton of pretty graphics, and little to any other substance. And after a year they are asking people to pay for a product that is almost unanimously a called a beta by the community, and something the company was so embarressed of they just recently thought they should start charging for. (I bet that has to do more with company performance right now and the need for japan to generate income than the game being ready)

So yeah I hope the game dies. (They need to cut losses and work on something that is actually marketable)  If you have some grand delusion that it will go on to be the next 10+million subscription game that history quotes as having a "rocky start", I would like to also talk to you about some beautiful beach side property in Kansas I have for sell.

This post contributed nothing to the thread. And I've heard it time and time again, yet I'm still having fun in the game (enough to pay a subscription even).

To hope a game dies that you've never played, have no interest in playing, and that other people play and enjoy it. This is why I ignore most posts on this site.

No specifics needed. If you think it's "silly", then think so. But any advantage other people don't have (and PS3 players might not even be able to get some, that's to be seen) is gamebreaking IMO.

Yes, it's extremely silly to generalise like that. Because even simple addons, ie one who sorts the inventory differently, or displays frames in different sizes/colors, would be gamebreaking advantages according to you.

Btw, it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't give as much as one single example. Addons doesn't give anyone an "i win" button, so I don't understand why you're so negative about them.

Yes, it's extremely silly to generalise like that. Because even simple addons, ie one who sorts the inventory differently, or displays frames in different sizes/colors, would be gamebreaking advantages according to you.

Btw, it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't give as much as one single example. Addons doesn't give anyone an "i win" button, so I don't understand why you're so negative about them.

My opinion on gamebreaking may be different from yours, but you said yourself there are some exceptions that will (or most likely in this case) be. No examples need to be given if you admitted it on your own.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I will be happy if they can just make up thier damn minds. Right now we are playing a wierd mutation of 2 games. The original one and the one they tried to mutate it in to.

I just tried to do a level 10 Tier 1 levequest. Make 36 Antelope Sinew. A year ago when the leve was put in, that was m'eh sure, whatever. Now though, Antelope sinew is a level 21 synth. So of course, I got botch, botch, botch, abandon. They were so determined to make an MMO that was PC and Console complient they outright half assed every single piece of content they managed to get in there.

2.0 really needs to be a miracle if they think anyone is going to pay for this cluster fuck.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Yeah.  

I do not like some things of 2.0.

First thing I do not like is LFG tool / system.

Really that made me stop playing. I really loathe this thing. 

I bought FFXIV for like 12$ like few weeks before 2.0 announcement.

I understand Square Enix why they want to implement those things, but I don't want to play game with them so I stopped playing. (I am looking for long-term mmo, I have enogh of bunny jumping between mmos, I prefer to not play at all than to play it knowing that in future game will change in a way I do not like ).

Another thing I don't really like is AH. Surely there is a better solution to make shopping better/ easier/faster while at same time not practically slaughtering player-shops. Cause that what AH will do.

Seems like they plan to just incorporate 'your average mmorpg things' into FFXIV and I really don't look for that again.

Originally posted by free2play

2.0 really needs to be a miracle if they think anyone is going to pay for this cluster fuck.

Actually, they think ppl are going to pay for over a year, while waiting for 2.0.

Lol...

Originally posted by free2play

Actually, they think ppl are going to pay for over a year, while waiting for 2.0.

Lol...

You say that as if people aren't enjoying the game and are foolish for paying a sub fee for a game they like.