Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the beta weekends

ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I signed up on the site years ago, ordered the pre-order probably within 5 minutes of the email being sent out saying you could pre-order, lol. 

Let me say this isn't a bitch, whine, moan thread it is actually just curiosity.  I have other games keeping me entertained till Dec.20 though getting my grubby paws on SWToR for a few before it releases would be nice.

But of people who are or aren't in the beta now when did you pre-order? When did you sign up for beta?  Just wondering, I know in a few past games I got put into beta when I had barely signed up for the game and I know for a fact there had to be thousands of people who should have been on the list before me.  This time I feel like I am on the other side of the fence, lol.  Like I signed up eons ago and here I sit as everyone else is getting to test it :P

Anyways this is not meant to be a flame or argument thread, just a compare/constrast thread on who is and isn't in beta yet :)   PS Can't wait

Comments

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

I'm not in the Beta either.

I think its random whos getting into the closed beta.

So dont feel sorry if your not in it, I bet theres many others who registred before you who arnt in it either.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I registered with the site and applied for beta the day applications opened and was invited to the last two beta periods. I have not pre-ordered and will probably not purchase the game.

• thedrakonthedrakon Member UncommonPosts: 213

I'm not in the beta, I've sign up on day one of the website, day one of beta.

But, I've been able to test the first beta weekend.

I've pre order the collector edition too.

But, it's written on the forum, it's purely random

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Pre-ordering has no bearing on whether you get invited or not. There have already been various threads like this one on the TOR forums and the result is that it's just random every time.

• colonnelli71colonnelli71 Member Posts: 52

Its BS. It seems that only the people that have not pre-order are getting invites trying to lure them into pre-ordering. Lots of people that have registered since day one and pre-ordered since day one have not had a chance to beta.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I think I ruined my chance to get into beta by doing that hardware check on my shitty laptop (I don't know why I did it), and now I can't change it. Sad face.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• JamesbobJamesbob Member Posts: 12

I signed up for BETA about 3 weeks ago and I got into the weekend BETA that week. I didn't pre-order until after I played that weekend though =)

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by colonnelli71

Its BS. It seems that only the people that have not pre-order are getting invites trying to lure them into pre-ordering. Lots of people that have registered since day one and pre-ordered since day one have not had a chance to beta.

Do you have stats to verify this?  I know many people who haven't pre-ordered yet and want to test the game out  first before pre-ordering.  And many of those people have not yet been invited to Beta.  I also know a lot of people who have pre-ordered and registered for beta at the earliest possible time who have had a chance to test the game. 

It's random.  Whether you pre-order or not has no bearing on whether you get into beta.  

People that have pre-ordered should get priority to beta testing the game. The whole incentive to pre-ordering is the chance to play ahead of the people that do not pre-order. Why is that? Because players are competative and seeking that advantage. The pre-order players should get the chance to try the classes as to nail down their main character to take advantage of that head start. But hey thats just my opinion.

• OotiniOotini Member Posts: 13

Just to clear things up a bit with people calling BS and whatnot, I applied for beta within the first week it was available and I actually also have the game pre-ordered from the moment I could and I got into the closed beta (not just the weekend testing)

It's certainly possible that your computer spec's have something to do with whether you get in or not, but I seriously doubt pre-order status has ANYTHING to do with it.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

I did not pre-order, but I have beta tested it. I think the best idea for SWTOR marketing would be to send out beta invites to all the people that have yet to preorder. All the preorders are like guaranteed purchases at this point. The only ones on the fence are people who have signed up for beta and have yet to preorder. So with no open beta, this would be a way to give people who have yet to preorder a taste of the game in hopes of gaining a larger market share.

I have still yet to preorder, but I guarantee I will very soon.

• NokkersNokkers Member UncommonPosts: 32

Signed up in August of 2010, have not pre-ordered and did not get any beta invites.  Last weekend, 6 of the 7 people in my guild that signed up, got in.  I was the one that did not get it =(.  It seems to be completely random.  Some people have pre-ordered, some have not.  I've also read that if you got into a beta weekend, you will not be invited to the next one.  So that's good news for the rest of us who have not had a chance to try it yet.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Time and time again it has been stated that the beta is not a trial, yet post after post folks communicate that this is how they view it.

The game has no need for beta as a marketing tool, there is no current trial announced and word of mouth will get the stragglers to buy if nothing else; if not it's no big loss, the fan base is out there.

Originally posted by colonnelli71

People that have pre-ordered should get priority to beta testing the game. The whole incentive to pre-ordering is the chance to play ahead of the people that do not pre-order. Why is that? Because players are competative and seeking that advantage. The pre-order players should get the chance to try the classes as to nail down their main character to take advantage of that head start. But hey thats just my opinion.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that, but I'd have no problem with beta testing being a "first come, first serve" basis.  Not for the reasons you stated, just merely because it would encourage people to pre-order first and gives those players more of a stake in how the game turns out since they already plan on playing it.  Hopefully it will make them better testers.  I don't believe that the beta testing should simply be used to decide which class you want to play.  I would hope the people testing are going in with the mindset that they want to help Bioware make the best game possible.  

Still, I can see why Bioware did it this way.  A random selection of people guarantees that the testing phase isn't just full of starstruck fanboys who are just there to play the game.  At least if it's random, you'll get a sampling of people who are there to report bugs, as well as people who may need some convincing to play the game.  

Originally posted by Ootini

Just to clear things up a bit with people calling BS and whatnot, I applied for beta within the first week it was available and I actually also have the game pre-ordered from the moment I could and I got into the closed beta (not just the weekend testing)

It's certainly possible that your computer spec's have something to do with whether you get in or not, but I seriously doubt pre-order status has ANYTHING to do with it.

I've heard people referencing your "computer spec" in the past in regards to the SWTOR beta.  Can anyone fill me in on how Bioware knows what kind of specs your computer has?  This may be an incredibly dumb question, but when I signed up for beta, I just got a fairly quick thing to fill out with some very basic personal information, but nothing asking about what kind of rig I have.  Did I miss something?  When I go into the swtor site, it says I've completed beta registration.  

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Biggus99

I've heard people referencing your "computer spec" in the past in regards to the SWTOR beta.  Can anyone fill me in on how Bioware knows what kind of specs your computer has?  This may be an incredibly dumb question, but when I signed up for beta, I just got a fairly quick thing to fill out with some very basic personal information, but nothing asking about what kind of rig I have.  Did I miss something?  When I go into the swtor site, it says I've completed beta registration.  

At the sign up page it used to run an app to gather your system specs, it no longer does this as that stage of the beta is over. Hardware is no longer a factor on whether you get chosen or not.

Originally posted by Kabaal

At the sign up page it used to run an app to gather your system specs, it no longer does this as that stage of the beta is over. Hardware is no longer a factor on whether you get chosen or not.

Ah okay, thanks for letting me know.  I'd hate to think that I missed out on beta because I forgot to fill something out.  :)

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Originally posted by Kabaal

Ah okay, thanks for letting me know.  I'd hate to think that I missed out on beta because I forgot to fill something out.  :)

Did you fill out Permit A38 ? Otherwise I fear you have no chance to get into beta anytime soon...

And for those who did not get into beta (like me)... just be thankful that you do not spoil your release experience. Another pro for not being in beta is... your char won't be wiped. ;)

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I hope that it IS moslty pre-orders and people who plan to play the game that are getting into beta. There really is enough info out there to make an informed judgement as to if this is a game fitting to your tastes.. If people are waiting for the beta like its a free trial before you decide if it's good enough to buy...then I hope you keep waiting until Bioware actually offers free trials. They seem to come quicker these days anyway (that's what she said..sorry).

I pre-ordered the CE and have been in 2 weekend betas.

Originally posted by Anthur

Did you fill out Permit A38 ? Otherwise I fear you have no chance to get into beta anytime soon...

And for those who did not get into beta (like me)... just be thankful that you do not spoil your release experience. Another pro for not being in beta is... your char won't be wiped. ;)

Haha, is that the form I need to copy in triplicate and have notarized?  Crap, I thought that was optional.  And I agree about not wanting to spoil the launch experience, particularly with a game that focuses so heavily on storyline and options.  Should I get into beta, I've already decided that I won't play a class that I plan at playing at launch.  That way none of my main toon's story will be spoiled for me.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well not sure what to tell you. I've been signed up since 09. I just preorded last week. Still never invited. A friend got invited for the last weekend beta and he preoreded Sept. 

Originally posted by BarCrow

I hope that it IS moslty pre-orders and people who plan to play the game that are getting into beta. There really is enough info out there to make an informed judgement as to if this is a game fitting to your tastes.. If people are waiting for the beta like its a free trial before you decide if it's good enough to buy...then I hope you keep waiting until Bioware actually offers free trials. They seem to come quicker these days anyway (that's what she said..sorry).

I pre-ordered the CE and have been in 2 weekend betas.

Thank you!

• Originally posted by Kaerigan

I think I ruined my chance to get into beta by doing that hardware check on my shitty laptop (I don't know why I did it), and now I can't change it. Sad face.

don't worry. the reason you cant change it is because the hardware check has been removed.  they have said it is no longer a factor for invites since they have nailed down their system reqs

as for the question in the OP, signed up for the site a couple weeks after it went live, signed up for testing day 1, pre-ordered day 1, and got selected for general testing in late august

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Thanks for all the response, was just wondering how it is going for everyone ref: beta.

The reason I stated pre-order date was it said right there on the email that the sooner you pre-order you would be considered sooner for the beta weekends or some such :P  Probably just marketing, haha.

Still some people getting in two weekends now and some of us not even in one yet is a bit meh :/

• NAMaverickNAMaverick Member UncommonPosts: 6

I have been registered on the site now for 2+ years, I pre-ordered day 1, non CC as it was already sold out on the EA site about  and have been in both weekend beta tests.