Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The sad pvp fact confirmed at NYC Comicon

Comments

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Elricmerren

Originally posted by Vhaln

Open World PvP - Any member of a faction can attack any member of another faction anywhere in the world. You may or may not get loot from the other people, depending on the rules of the game.

Looks like most people define "open world" differently than you and the OP do.  Mostly, I always thought it just meant open as opposed to private, i.e. instanced.  That's how I've always seen it used before.

I can understand both sides of the view, since it can be open world pvp if you are apart of the world while your pvping inn a zone without it being instanced, but yet also some would place it as being pvp that occures all over the world instead of localized zones.  I would go with it being a localized type of world pvp, or as zone-based pvp that is apart of the persist world of tsw.

In a game like WoW or Rift, if the server is a PvP server, then you have open world PvP. If the server is a PvE server, you don't have open world PvP. You may still have PvP in PvP zones that isn't instanced...which I guess would be open PvP. It's not world PvP because the entire world (server) isn't open to PvP.

TSW doesn't have open world PvP, it's all isolated into zones or instanced into battlegrounds.

VAry true except that you can still in wow and rifts flag as pvp in pve areas and servers. I could agrue that since you are able to leave and enter without loading or otherwise que for the pvp combat in those zones as open world since it is a part of the world where you can fight and pvp at all times. Also i made the distintion between a localized form of open world pvp that is basically more of sub set of open world then actually open world pvp. To most pvpers this would fit their choice of open pvp either as open world or zone based since you are in the qorld able to walk into a zone from another without warning *atleast that is hwo it is sounding.) to participate, and for others it is not since it is not world wide pvp (unless the rumors of being able to fight in some secluded areas abotu each area as well as cities. YOu can also say that since it is pvp taking place in the world without instancing that it is world pvp, just not your defanition of of world pvp. For me open world pvp is pvp that can happen in a non interupted fashion without instancing or other blocks to immersion, which is different to what others find as open world which to them is world wide pvp abbility.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I'm not planning on buying this game until AT LEAST 6 months after launch, and I'm not really following this game even though the concept does interest me because, well, it's Funcom and I'm sure they'll eff up this launch too, but is this a single server game?  If not, I really don't see why they can't have a couple faction based PvP servers.  I can't see the "well they're SECRET societies they can't have open warfare" being much of an excuse...it's not like they need permission to mess with the IP like Turbine has with LotRO.

I probably wouldn't play on a PvP server, but more options are generalIy better than fewer.  I guess they'll wait until they lose 80% of their launch customers before they decide to give you PvP servers.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

If no one have said it, I did not read every post:

Having the three most secretive organisations in the world waging war in the open streets would to me, be a HUGE immersion killer, how would they explain that, lore wise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Umbrood
    Having the three most secretive organisations in the world waging war in the open streets would to me, be a HUGE immersion killer, how would they explain that, lore wise?

For the people who want open world pvp, Lore doesn't matter. Neither does logic, game design or anything else. They want open world pvp, so it must be in there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Open World PvP - Any member of a faction can attack any member of another faction anywhere in the world. You may or may not get loot from the other people, depending on the rules of the game.

Looks like most people define "open world" differently than you and the OP do.  Mostly, I always thought it just meant open as opposed to private, i.e. instanced.  That's how I've always seen it used before.

I can understand both sides of the view, since it can be open world pvp if you are apart of the world while your pvping inn a zone without it being instanced, but yet also some would place it as being pvp that occures all over the world instead of localized zones.  I would go with it being a localized type of world pvp, or as zone-based pvp that is apart of the persist world of tsw.

In a game like WoW or Rift, if the server is a PvP server, then you have open world PvP. If the server is a PvE server, you don't have open world PvP. You may still have PvP in PvP zones that isn't instanced...which I guess would be open PvP. It's not world PvP because the entire world (server) isn't open to PvP.

TSW doesn't have open world PvP, it's all isolated into zones or instanced into battlegrounds.

VAry true except that you can still in wow and rifts flag as pvp in pve areas and servers. I could agrue that since you are able to leave and enter without loading or otherwise que for the pvp combat in those zones as open world since it is a part of the world where you can fight and pvp at all times. Also i made the distintion between a localized form of open world pvp that is basically more of sub set of open world then actually open world pvp. To most pvpers this would fit their choice of open pvp either as open world or zone based since you are in the qorld able to walk into a zone from another without warning *atleast that is hwo it is sounding.) to participate, and for others it is not since it is not world wide pvp (unless the rumors of being able to fight in some secluded areas abotu each area as well as cities. YOu can also say that since it is pvp taking place in the world without instancing that it is world pvp, just not your defanition of of world pvp. For me open world pvp is pvp that can happen in a non interupted fashion without instancing or other blocks to immersion, which is different to what others find as open world which to them is world wide pvp abbility.

TSW doesn't have world wide pvp ability. ALL pvp is instanced or in specific zones, not outside of it. You may or may not even be able to step into and then out of the zone. You might have to fly in or teleport in, in which case the PvP is 100% instanced. It doesn't have World PvP, Open World PvP or any other definition of the idea of being able to fight in the world, outside of specific PvP areas. It doesn't matter how you define it, it doesn't exist in TSW.

In other words, you will never walk into a bar and punch a member of the other faction in the face. You will have to walk into a boxing ring to punch them in the face.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

TSW doesn't have world wide pvp ability. ALL pvp is instanced or in specific zones, not outside of it. You may or may not even be able to step into and then out of the zone. You might have to fly in or teleport in, in which case the PvP is 100% instanced. It doesn't have World PvP, Open World PvP or any other definition of the idea of being able to fight in the world, outside of specific PvP areas. It doesn't matter how you define it, it doesn't exist in TSW.

In other words, you will never walk into a bar and punch a member of the other faction in the face. You will have to walk into a boxing ring to punch them in the face.

That s a matter of opinion as instanced for many means bgs or such that are just you and a select few players in a area that is not a part of the world. THis is not how tsw is done you do have bgs but also the warzones that are persistant as well as meaningful to the world at large in the game. This to me as well as others is a form of world even open world pvp since it is taking place in the world in a non instanced area that people can enter and fight in against you. The pvp in warzones is not completely like a bg it is constant and persistant not a timed event liek a bg. This s though the same discription of a zone based pvp fight as well being that it is a part of the world yet is confined to a zone. Also anyone looking at tsw thinking it would have open world pvp really never thought it through.

Why have a modern setting mmo that throws the fact of being in a modern setting out the window, most of the people in modern eras do not just go into a bar or anywhere and start fights without other motives and normally they get into alot of trouble for it.

That s a matter of opinion as instanced for many means bgs or such that are just you and a select few players in a area that is not a part of the world. THis is not how tsw is done you do have bgs but also the warzones that are persistant as well as meaningful to the world at large in the game. This to me as well as others is a form of world even open world pvp since it is taking place in the world in a non instanced area that people can enter and fight in against you. The pvp in warzones is not completely like a bg it is constant and persistant not a timed event liek a bg. This s though the same discription of a zone based pvp fight as well being that it is a part of the world yet is confined to a zone. Also anyone looking at tsw thinking it would have open world pvp really never thought it through.

Why have a modern setting mmo that throws the fact of being in a modern setting out the window, most of the people in modern eras do not just go into a bar or anywhere and start fights without other motives and normally they get into alot of trouble for it.

After perusing the internet for awhile, because I have nothing better to do, it looks like people do define PvP restricted to specific zones, as long as you're not instanced as World PvP. PvP anywhere on the server would be Open World PvP. This seems somewhat wrong to me, but that doesn't make it any less true.

TSW has World PvP. There are persistent pvp zones in addition to instanced pvp battlegrounds.

TSW does not have Open World PvP. You can't walk around and engage in PvP anywhere you want.

On the bar thing...down the road from my house people used to walk into the bar and punch other people in the face. A couple times they walked in there and shot people in the face. It doesn't happen at Applebees, but you find bars that aren't in shopping centers or in middle to upper middle class areas and you'll find bars where people walk in and punch people in the face.

** edit **
    They stopped walking into that bar because it closed.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Disclaimer:

I am a PvP guy and hold no simpathy for PVE heroes that don't understand why I like PvP. I always roll on RP-PvP server if they are readily available, or straight PVP servers if the former is not available. I do not force my PvP on PvE players.

Now that, that is out of the way. I find it funny how PvE players come into threads like this and yell and rejoice about no open world pvp. How PvP is terrible and they don't like it  and so on and so on. You guys are the majority as you would like to think, and always get catered to. While we sit in the background waiting and hoping for PvP that has some meaning behind it.

I don't understand why PvE players are rejoicing non OW pvp. You should be encouraging for a PvP server for people like me. If you joined a PvP server and got ganked thats your fault. If you play AION that has no PvE servers, thats your fault. But there are PVE zones in AION!....You see the reverse situation there.... We dont want PVP zones... we want it all PVP just like you all wish Aion was all PVE not just certain zones that are PVE. I would be all for PVE servers in AION just so we don't have to hear you bitch and complain. When you bitch and complain is when PVPing gets nerfed... aka Rifting.

"Hey NCSOFT! I got killed in a PVP game meant for PVP by a Player on the opposite faction that PVPed me! Something must be done about this!"

PvE players are like the spoiled brats from rich families that don't appreciate what they have, and expect to get everything they want.  They also get picked on and beatup for the same reasons for being a prick.

Guess what PVE guy? You come on a server with me and I'm gon kill you.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

That really depends on what sort of "open streets" the game even has.  Will there be bustling city streets, full of citizens going about their business, shopping, socializing, etc?  That would be pretty cool, IMHO, but I doubt there will be much of it, if any.  More likely, most "open streets" will be places where players fight mobs, not hang out, chat, and do their shopping.  So, anywhere that has PvE could have PvP too, as far as that logic goes, regarding the lore.

Seems to me that it's more about gameplay, and the devs wanting to create a game where players mostly cooperate, rather than fight each other.  They want to be able to create their PvE without worrying about how to deal with PvP ruining it.  I don't think the lore has much of anything to do with it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

That really depends on what sort of "open streets" the game even has.  Will there be bustling city streets, full of citizens going about their business, shopping, socializing, etc?  That would be pretty cool, IMHO, but I doubt there will be much of it, if any.  More likely, most "open streets" will be places where players fight mobs, not hang out, chat, and do their shopping.  So, anywhere that has PvE could have PvP too, as far as that logic goes, regarding the lore.

Seems to me that it's more about gameplay, and the devs wanting to create a game where players mostly cooperate, rather than fight each other.  They want to be able to create their PvE without worrying about how to deal with PvP ruining it.  I don't think the lore has much of anything to do with it.

The dev diary recently about PvP... was titled The Secret War.  It is very much a lore based issue.  I suppose for those of us that played Vampire or any of the White Wolf games, it is much easier to see this.  Heck, anybody that watched any of the Underworld movies should be able to see it.  Lol, heck - anybody that saw any of the Hellboy movies should be able to see it.

The game is titled The Secret World... the average Joe does not know what is going on with these guys.

The Secret War is a pretty nifty video to watch, imo.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer

The dev diary recently about PvP... was titled The Secret War.  It is very much a lore based issue.  I suppose for those of us that played Vampire or any of the White Wolf games, it is much easier to see this.  Heck, anybody that watched any of the Underworld movies should be able to see it.  Lol, heck - anybody that saw any of the Hellboy movies should be able to see it.

The game is titled The Secret World... the average Joe does not know what is going on with these guys.

The Secret War is a pretty nifty video to watch, imo.

Did you miss my point or what?  I know what they've said, but how does the lore argument hold water, if it doesn't apply to PvE, too?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

...snip...

Did you miss my point or what?  I know what they've said, but how does the lore argument hold water, if it doesn't apply to PvE, too?

The NPCs are not part of the groups trying to maintain the Secret World... are they?  I mean, c'mon...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by Senadina

Sorry you're heartbroken but I'm thrilled. I hate open world PvP. I might still be playing Aion except for the annoyance of getting ganked by a toon 20 levels above me while questing. No fun imo.

I never undertood that either.

Couple weeks ago I was being camped by 4 very high level players who repeatedly kept killing.

What is the lesson in that?

I'm very much with these people when it comes to this subject.

...snip...

The NPCs are not part of the groups trying to maintain the Secret World... are they?  I mean, c'mon...

Of course, but I'm assuming this is much like other MMOs, with mobs all over the place to fight, and anywhere that has that sort of PvE going on, you'd think the secret wouldn't be much of a secret anymore.  At all.  It's a little tough to give specific examples, without knowing what sort of PvE and environments the game will have, but I can't imagine how they'd get around that, any better than if players were fighting eachother.

...snip...

Many of the NPC's are part of the conspiracy. There are at least 6 factions, possibly more and none of them want the general population (or the governments of the general population) messing around in their secret business.

You only have 4 groups here:
    * Player factions (want everything kept secret).
    * NPC factions (want everything kept secret).
    * Evil Dudes (don't care either way).
    * Innocent bystanders, which include citizens and governments of the world (do not know about the secret).

There is nobody who knows about the secret, but wants it to get out. The bad guys just don't care. The good guys keep it under wraps. Everyone else is just ignored or killed.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

A trailer I saw had peeps fighting a giant demon/dragon looking thing in the middle of a large city that looks like it either got hit by a nuke or a 9.0 earthquake...don't know how big of a secret this world is with stuff like that happening.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

A trailer I saw had peeps fighting a giant demon/dragon looking thing in the middle of a large city that looks like it either got hit by a nuke or a 9.0 earthquake...don't know how big of a secret this world is with stuff like that happening.

The game takes the players across time, and to participate in glimpses of the apocalyptic future if the war against the Darkness is lost.  In the present times (within the game) nothing that big nor visible has happened.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

The Pro world-PvP people didnt do their homework. The game doesnt fit openPvP.

Do a google for the world map. The world domaination is basically like the cardboard game Risc where factions conquer areas. Factions are able to share an area. So its war and diplomacy. In this regard the 3rd faction does make sense again.  The battles for the map squares are done in the warfront type of instances. Those WF zones can hold 100+ players and allow all three factions.  I dont know what the benefit of owning areas is, might be travel or whatever.

Basically its either ally to fight monsters (4th faction for PvE) or PvP, which is almost open, just not 100% sandbox.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

there seems to be some confusion about the PVP set up in TSW

here is what is known

There are FFA fight clubs in the cities, where you can fight players even of your own society (they are near where you queue for mini games)

There are 2 minigames (esentially WOW battlegrounds /  WAR scenarios, but with 3 sides) called El Dorado and Stonehenge

There is a rated arena called Shambala

There are no PVP servers

There are no PVE servers either,

There are persistent objective based PVP warzones which are akin to WAR RVR lakes, DAOC frontiers, Illum in SWTOR and  The Mists in GW2 (but don't reset every 2 weeks), they are areas of the world just like the PVE areas e.g. egypt.

however there is a maximum cap per faction allowed in each warzone so as not to use lame lag / shutdown tactics.  (this does not mean each society fields an equal number of players)  The warzones are not on a timer like LWG in wow.  Holding warzones gives bonuses to the given society in a simmilar way to DAOC.  The cap isn't known yet, needs stress testing I guess, but it's suggested at around 50 per side so far.

Of the warzones only 1 is known so far, the Chinese City warzone.  You can see a video of it here (skip to 9 mins), the temple shown is just one of four "keeps" within the warzone, so you only see about 1/4 of the whole warzone in the video, they are pretty damn big.  - hey its a lot more than we've seen of Illum in SWTOR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mRwkJyL1Lc

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

No open world pvp is good, but they should add areas for that. Like DAoC and GW2(will add soon).

Originally posted by mazut
    No open world pvp is good, but they should add areas for that. Like DAoC and GW2(will add soon).

They did.

• LevarkLevark Member UncommonPosts: 18

the secret world where everything is true, except pvp

Originally posted by Levark
    the secret world where everything is true, except pvp

Except there is PvP. There's even a zone with persistent, faction based World PvP.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

No world pvp for me= total fail aka tsw, gw2 etc etc

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by afhn2110

I know a lot of pvpers that were really looking forward to pvp with this game, me being one.  I had the chance to speak with Ragnar 1 on 1, and found that he's a great guy with a vision.  The sad thing is, to those pvpers that are looking for open world pvp....your not in his vision.  I asked about the fact that we have three factions, so I'm assuming that means we can fight in open world when crossing factions.  The response was, "good question, while the three factions don't like one another, they understand that they need to work together to defeat the forces (npcs) and therefor there is  governing body that sets rules amongst the three factions."  He went on to say that there will be battlegrounds type of pvp, but absolutely no world pvp when I spoked to him after the panel.  I even asked about the opportunity for a pvp server where the factions could fight one another and he said it wouldn't even be considored because it doesn't fit the game.  He did say that if the communty demanded clan war deccing on the forums, then he'd considor that.

So, while a great guy...and probably a great pve game based on what I saw, if you are looking for the open world pvp, whether it be faction based on ffa, its not here.  This was such a heartbreaker for me...

Developers are gifted at making grandiose mistakes such as this.  Whatever corporate suit and tie guy that convinced these people to do this should be flogged.  A lot of us A LOT have been waiting for a 3 faction mmorpg (That third realm wild card breaks the boring 2 faction stalemate that dries up so many mmorpgs)....

And then to see that they have no factional pvp - my god.  How long before Free to Play?  Not long.  They will of course let us know after the game fails to bring in a decent sub population that (a) they have a great population (b) that they are doing us a favor by making it Free to Play.

Waiting on the Messiah apparently to bring us a 3 faction mmorpg that has factional pvp.

/sigh Here's to shooting yourselves in the foot TSW!!! /slap