Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FE F2P is a roaring success !

SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Well, it must be, seeing as the servers have collapsed under the load of new players trying to login...

Gamersfirst did say that they were 100% ready for the influx, and that the server could support 5 TIMES the number of people playing before F2P. Hopefully there were more than 50 people playing before the game went F2P :D

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That sounds about right. Anyone who has ever played decided to login to see where their characters were.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Yea its a roaring success unless your one of the players whos character select screen is empty with no other option but to exit the game...

Not having a good feeling about Gamersfirst handling this game.. I have no reason to think badly really, as its the first real problem but IDK.. They just seem really third rate to me. 

I hope I am proven wrong as I am really excited to play this game again..

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

Another bad launch. Maybe there will still be some people who haven't given up and deleted the game off their hard drive by the time they get the mess straightened out. I wonder how much future income will be lost because of being ill-prepared with the server capacity.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by dodsfall

Another bad launch. Maybe there will still be some people who haven't given up and deleted the game off their hard drive by the time they get the mess straightened out. I wonder how much future income will be lost because of being ill-prepared with the server capacity.

Does it really matter ?

It's not like it's the actual launch of the game. Joining as a F2P player now (or tomorrow or next month), you will still be playing on a mature server with loads of players at level-cap already.

It's still essentially the same game that it was before F2P, and still has the same gameplay and bugs and issues it had before...

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I haven't played FE in ages.

yesterday I got an e-mail about a present (a chopper or something) waiting for returning players.

so I decided to give it a try, it being f2p now and all.

no issues downloading, installing and patching. my char was still there and when I logged in he was parked right where I had left him, over a year ago.

still, when I started playing I was reminded of why I quit FE last time.

the game is just dull. the world is bland, the locations are not very interesting, the combat is clunky and non-responsive. the animations and designs feel really stiff and unnatural.

but the worst thing is, there is no sense of a living world, despite the "sandboxy" design (which is not really sandboxy btw since you're basically required to quest). just this brown, endless landscape and some static mob spawns full of really stupid mobs, and some static NPC towns. purposeless factions and arena-style PvP.

f2p or not, I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

A flood of players on day one of a F2P conversion is par for the course. Give it about a month or two to see how many of those people stick around to determine whether it's a success or not.

Originally posted by Ceridith

A flood of players on day one of a F2P conversion is par for the course. Give it about a month or two to see how many of those people stick around to determine whether it's a success or not.

Give it about a month ?

Noway, lol, at the current rate, it will take at least that long to get the servers up again :D

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Thats too bad, sounds like they need to invest in some new servers.

• ProstiProsti Member Posts: 45

You would think with a game of this magnitude. You'd be f**king stupid not to invest in some better servers. But then again. I haven't even played this since when the game first launched trial accounts. Idk. Seems to me like when a game goes F2P. You'd be stupid not to think that their is going to be more people playing.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Ceridith

Yup, sounds like the usual song and dance. Funny how we never hear about how well these converted mmos are fairing after the initial boom.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

And when most of these new people see how badly buggy some of the game is, they will march right back off elsewhere again. From what I saw this morning when I could log in, all the problems that used to give the free trial players fits are still there, and not enough has changed to give those of us who quit playing due to boredom much enthusiasm to come back. I'll stick to CoH thanks.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by Tardcore

I'll stick to CoH thanks.

And that is where your post breaks down.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

No, actually it doesn't. Both games just went free. I'm comparing the player experiance of the two after free release. CoH offers a much better experiance for their free users and even added new things to the game. Fallen Earth, (and keep in mind I do like this game) just put the same buggy old game back online as free to play. If it couldn't keep much of its loyal player base around, and even with an entire free month of  free trial couldn't get enough new blood to keep it afloat, I see little reason why it is going to fare much better now, when many of the free players are going to find the game frustratingly buggy. Hell-Gate London redeux anyone?

No, actually it doesn't. Both games just went free. I'm comparing the player experiance of the two after free release. CoH offers a much better experiance for their free users and even added new things to the game. Fallen Earth, (and keep in mind I do like this game) just put the same buggy old game back online as free to play. If it couldn't keep much of its loyal player base around, and even with an entire free month of  free trial couldn't get enough new blood to keep it afloat, I see little reason why it is going to fare much better now, when many of the free players are going to find the game frustratingly buggy. Hell-Gate London redeux anyone?

It seems that the patch that brought F2P into FE also contained a few other changes to the game systems. However, the patch totally broke the game, and the servers have basically been offline for the last 24 hours. Apparently they're working on an emergency patch, and if that doesn't work they'll have to go back to the drawing board... 0.o

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Excellent, I'll be logging in to crush some player skulls shortly.

• dragonstripedragonstripe Member Posts: 5

If there is some mythical place where MMORPG's go off to die, then Gamer's First is some kinda evil voodoo witchdoctor type character that raises games from the dead then pimps them out to necrophiliacs at a grossly inflated price.

I didn't care for FE all that much to begin with. I was in LOVE with the idea, but the fun and the gameplay I desired from that idea was sadly not. Seeing it become F2P gave me some hope. Seeing that G1 took it over did not. I get the nifty email saying I have some free useless garbage that everybody on the server will now have and I think "Hmm I should log in and check it out, maybe it has got better over the last 2 years".

I can't even make it that far. Servers are down. Go to the forums. Why are the servers down? Dunno. When will the be up? Dunno. Well at least I can go check out the item store, subscriptions, and read about the state of the game. $30 sub? HA! nty... Paid character slots, paid bank slots, paid stat wipe, paid mount slots, paid pet slots, and  lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is all I saw. I would have been happier with my $15/mo sub. Well, if I could play the game at all I guess.

My bottom line? If a game goes F2P it stands a chance at living a bit longer. If it goes to G1 I will not support it.

What are some of these bugs you are refering to?

I played from launch until about eight months in, and had very few issues that could be considered frustrating. The game is actually quite well taken care of, the issue that caused most of the loyal players to leave had absolutely nothing to do with bugs and everything to do with PvP and issues surrounding that aspect of the game.

You seem to have a good grasp on the subject, so I'm curious to see what about the game put you off. Be as specific as possible, if you don't mind.

• dragonstripedragonstripe Member Posts: 5

I played for the first month or 2 as well. The bugs were out of control, like every MMO to launch lately. Rubber banding made the game unplayable. Lag made being any kind of ranged character useless. That stupid visual glitch that left your character stuck in a "T" pose after getting on or off a mount. Glitchy AI all over the place. Crafting sometimes would delete items or not produce an item at all. Etc etc etc etc etc etc.... The list is endless.

Tired of seeing diehard fans turn a blind eye to companies that release this games with glitches so bad its almost not even playable at all. And this has sadly become todays standard. Investors are tired of waiting for a return on their money and tell them to release whatever garbage they have now despite how it runs and then potentially good games get blugeoned into the ground by critics and players alike. Stop releasing unfinished products and maybe we'd see some better games and less of this desperate F2P revival crap.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I'll never understand why developers dont just start off with a much smaller polished game. Instead they always have these huge worlds and grand ideas that never amount to a quality product at launch. Start small and work your way up. It is a much smarter strategy and your player base will love you for always adding new content.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by quentin405

Yea its a roaring success unless your one of the players whos character select screen is empty with no other option but to exit the game...

Not having a good feeling about Gamersfirst handling this game.. I have no reason to think badly really, as its the first real problem but IDK.. They just seem really third rate to me. 

I hope I am proven wrong as I am really excited to play this game again..

Thats what used to happen (pre G1) when the server was having trouble or had just rebooted.

I played FE about 6 months, in the end the pressure to faction wheel grind (to get all mutations, skills & AP quests) was too much & the grind killed the game for me all my friends succummed to the same issues a few months before I did.

I really enjoyed the actual game though, exploring, crafting, questing & conflict towns. I liked the fact that survival was harsh.

I updated my very out of date game clinet over night so I might try and play over the weekend if the servers are stable.

Originally posted by dragonstripe

I played for the first month or 2 as well. The bugs were out of control, like every MMO to launch lately. Rubber banding made the game unplayable. Lag made being any kind of ranged character useless. That stupid visual glitch that left your character stuck in a "T" pose after getting on or off a mount. Glitchy AI all over the place. Crafting sometimes would delete items or not produce an item at all. Etc etc etc etc etc etc.... The list is endless.

Tired of seeing diehard fans turn a blind eye to companies that release this games with glitches so bad its almost not even playable at all. And this has sadly become todays standard. Investors are tired of waiting for a return on their money and tell them to release whatever garbage they have now despite how it runs and then potentially good games get blugeoned into the ground by critics and players alike. Stop releasing unfinished products and maybe we'd see some better games and less of this desperate F2P revival crap.

You're grossly exagerating.

Yes, Riflemen had issues in PvP at launch, but lag had nothing to do with them. I never experienced any rubber banding, and nobody I played with mentioned anything about it either.

Visual glitch that left your character stuck in a T post? Never occured for me.

Glitchy AI was definitely an issue.

I've never had items dissapear or not produce from crafting.

Your list is far from endless, and some of the issues were problem on your end, whether you choose to believe that or not.

The game runs excellent, and it ran excellent at launch as well. It was very playable, and imho worthy of a retail launch and monthly fee.

It almost seems like you haven't even played, and just did a quick google for past issues and then transcribed a few here so that you could put on the appearance of having legitimately experienced these problems. Just an observation, not an accusation.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Well, it must be, seeing as the servers have collapsed under the load of new players trying to login...

Downloading my client right now.  Last one I tried kept hanging the system during patch.  Hoping the newly released client doesn't have that issue.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Kost

What are some of these bugs you are refering to?

I played from launch until about eight months in, and had very few issues that could be considered frustrating. The game is actually quite well taken care of, the issue that caused most of the loyal players to leave had absolutely nothing to do with bugs and everything to do with PvP and issues surrounding that aspect of the game.

You seem to have a good grasp on the subject, so I'm curious to see what about the game put you off. Be as specific as possible, if you don't mind.

Reasonable question. Dragonstripe already covered some of them. I'll cover the ones I experianced just this morning, never ending mob agro, terrible mob pathing, line of sight explpits by mobs, and sometime players, horrendous FPS even on a powerhouse system that runs every other game balls out, and perhapse the most annoying, and confidence destroying glitch, getting stuck in a peice of the terrain. Fell through one of the ramps while on my cycle at Boneclaw this morning and had to have (Steamshadow I think his name was) port me out. A glitch mind you that was supposed to have been fixed LAST YEAR.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Every game that has launch or gone f2p has claimed or been declared a "roaring sucess". Come back in a two to six months and you will see a bit of a different story.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

-SNIP- Fell through one of the ramps while on my cycle at Boneclaw this morning and had to have (Steamshadow I think his name was) port me out. A glitch mind you that was supposed to have been fixed LAST YEAR.

I am not sure how that was supposed to be fixed last year when they only remodelled boneclaw completely in the last 2 months.

In my quest for AP maximisation when I was originally playing I played all 3 of my characters through the entirety of all starter zones & never had a problem like you descibe. Probably the worst thing of a similar nature I ever had was getting off my bikes in the wrong spot and ending up being unable to get back on or unable to drive it as its stuck in terrain which meant i had to walk back and then tow it to the garage.