Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constantine

KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Anyone looking forward to this movie? I saw the previews for it yesterday. It looks kind of like The Matrix, meets the Sixth Sense, meets the Exorcist. It looks to me like Keanu Reeves plays a sort of holy catalyst that betrayed heaven and must save the world from the war between Heaven and Hell. He seems to be the only one who can see the demons and angels that fight each other and he must bless other people before they can see the holy war [Red pill]. It has many Matrix elements in it, perhaps too many, like bullettime, the whole "We are living in a world where we have no idea what is really happening", and forming a team to fight evil. The special effects look great and the story just has enveloped me. I can't wait to see it.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I saw the previews about three weeks ago and I will definitley be seeing it. I love watching movies that are anything out of the ordinary (Matrix, Donnie Darko, ect.). The special effects as you said will be one of the rising points in the movie, as well as the storyline. Of course like most blockbusters i'm going to expect some pretty bad dialogue (especially in the trailer how they have the corny "Hell wants him, heaven won't take him" kind of crap) and it's pretty obvious Keanu Reeves will be putting on his poker face through the whole movie (That serious look he always has).

All in all it won't get any good reviews, but it will be fun as hell to watch. And that's all I really care about when i look for hollywood movies ::::28::.

And to top it off Rachel Weiz (sp?) is hot.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Man I can't wait for this movie, it looks bad ass. It sucks that it is comming out on feb 18th. and not sooner.
  • KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

I did some research. Turns out that Keanu's character John Constantine has appeared in many, many DC comics from a magic hero to a detective.

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

There's alot of rage from the fanboi's, because originally the comic books main character had blonde hair and was english, and Keanu Reeves certainly isn't that.

Originally posted by rathma
    There's alot of rage from the fanboi's, because originally the comic books main character had blonde hair and was english, and Keanu Reeves certainly isn't that.

I am sure that the comic book character smiled every once in awhile.

The clothing of the movie looks so Vampire Masquerade. It is just going to be a great looking movie altogether.

•  Coming soon....

Constatine the MMORPG!

imageimage

Yeah I intend to see the movie as soon as it is out. In many ways it is based on real life. In the trailor it says "What if God and Satan made a bet ....." yadda yadda. In real life they did make a bet.

The bet roughly goes that "Is man smart enough, good enough, to rule himself without needing God?" That is why God did not kill Satan and the 1/3 of the rest of the Angels who resigned from being on God's side, after the war in heaven happened. So we have God, Satan, Jehushua, 2/3 of the good angels, and 1/3 of the bad angels (aka demons. A demon is simply a good angel who turns bad.).... all watching over us Earthers, livin' la vida loca on our planet Earth....... to see which side wins the bet. Guess who is winning the bet so far? image

[quote]Originally posted by Kiamde

The clothing of the movie looks so Vampire Masquerade. It is just going to be a great looking movie altogether.[/b][/quote]

Not only is the clothing awesome but check out the atmosphere in some scenes.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

awesome picture.  I really look forward to seeing this

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984
    Yeah this movie looks sweet, ive been looking forward to it for a few months.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

The producers of Constantine are working with anime animators to make the backrounds. I think that is really cool since this is the first American movie to have animated 3Dish backrounds with real actors.

I just saw the movie and It was pretty bad. All the action you see was all basically in the trailers. Even though they had quite a bit of dialogue going with the movie, none of it was even informative. It's a lot of useless lines that tell you nothing about the story. Just when you think you have enough time to enjoy the interesting concept of the movie, you get butchered with bad acting.

I think I had too much high hopes for this movie. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't that good.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Hmm no i'm unsure about going to see it tommorow ::::12::

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• joshcojoshco Member Posts: 38

I was hoping it wasnt going to be one of those movies where all the good scenes are in the previews, but I guess it is. Thanks though for giving your opinion on movie, I guess I'm going to wait and rent it.

Well i just got home from watching the movie.... And i have to say it's OK i give it a B or B-

Story nice touch... action and graphics are cool and work really well, But the Acting OMG it sucked... Especially when Reaves was coughing... OMG it lloooked so ridiculus... anysways... I think it's a must See Movie... But not neccessarily a Must-see-in-Theaters.... Just a must see...

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Constantine was so freaking great it made me want to never watch tv again, because that was the movie to destroy all movies, hell i dont know why i liked it so much, but i did.

oh yeah and his coughing was fine, i seen pleople cough the exact same was before.

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

I haven't seen it yet...But I have a real pet peeve with the whole ordeal of them using a female to portray the Arch Angel Gabriel.

I'm not sure if they did something of similar style of using a female and some twisted voice to portray Satan in The Passion of the Christ. (Looking like they still portrayed Gabriel as either a feminine angel or a female angel.)

And personally...That's just a pet peeve of mine. I mean if you want to make the rest of the angels very unbiblical and portray them as fat little baby cherubs and ugly looking women...But an Angel who was specifically identified as a man, and has a very masculine name? Argh...I just don't get people and their ways sometimes.

Sorry for the rant. Probably will end up seein the movie next week.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

Originally posted by Aldaron
    I haven't seen it yet...But I have a real pet peeve with the whole ordeal of them using a female to portray the Arch Angel Gabriel.
    I'm not sure if they did something of similar style of using a female and some twisted voice to portray Satan in The Passion of the Christ. (Looking like they still portrayed Gabriel as either a feminine angel or a female angel.)
    And personally...That's just a pet peeve of mine. I mean if you want to make the rest of the angels very unbiblical and portray them as fat little baby cherubs and ugly looking women...But an Angel who was specifically identified as a man, and has a very masculine name? Argh...I just don't get people and their ways sometimes.
    Sorry for the rant. Probably will end up seein the movie next week.

Well actually the character that played Satan on The Passion of the Christ was a man but was intentially given a mix of feminine and masculine qualities.... I dont know for sure, But I think Gibson did this to emphysize that Evil (Satan) is independant of Physical Characterists and/or Gender.

Gabriel isn't clearly masculine.. I have some female friends name gabrielle... same pronounciation just different spelling... And Yes Gabriel seems to be a female angel that kinda resembles a man LOL, kinda but i dont want to explain... and ruin it... And no Satan isn't androgenous he's a man.. in this movie

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Definitely looking forward to seeing this movie.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by methane47

Well actually the character that played Satan on The Passion of the Christ was a man but was intentially given a mix of feminine and masculine qualities.... I dont know for sure, But I think Gibson did this to emphysize that Evil (Satan) is independant of Physical Characterists and/or Gender.

You're incorrect. I remember watching something about the making of The Passion and it was definitely a woman.

As for doing that intentionally for some kind of hidden purpose...I thought it was just there for creepiness value.

Gabriel isn't clearly masculine.. I have some female friends name gabrielle... same pronounciation just different spelling... And Yes Gabriel seems to be a female angel that kinda resembles a man LOL, kinda but i dont want to explain... and ruin it... And no Satan isn't androgenous he's a man.. in this movie

It may not be a name like Brutus or somesort. But I would still consider it clearly masculine and has always been used as a male name. As for your female friends pronouncing Gabrielle as Gabriel, I have never heard of that, nor would have any idea why any woman would even do that.(And the main point I was making was that there is really no ambiguity with the genderization of Angels in the bible. And the whole feminization process of Angels I particularly assume was made popular during the renaissance era.)

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Originally posted by joshco

I was hoping it wasnt going to be one of those movies where all the good scenes are in the previews, but I guess it is. Thanks though for giving your opinion on movie, I guess I'm going to wait and rent it.

Umm, it's not one of those movies.  The trailers don't reveal much actually.  It was a very good movie, IMO.
  • superhero13superhero13 Member Posts: 170

Really good movie. Wasnt dumbed down to much for the public and the production levels were high.
    Keanu really brought the character to life with mannerisms and attitude - though he could have gone one more extra step.

BTW All angels have always been described as graceful and tender, even the warlike defenders...so using a woman isnt a stretch.

Go see this movie. Its worth the cash.

I disliked the movie. Don't read further if you dislike spoilers. Actually since the story is so badly played out, how could I spoil it? There is no way to spoil the movie, since it is so disorganized.

I did not enjoy the fact that they killed off characters that you did not even know enough to care about when they were killed. The movie was pretty much a "do not smoke" plug. Constantine is plagued by lung cancer but for Constantine to live and suffer on earth- since earth life is so bad- Lucifer takes his cancer out of his body.

I also disliked the fact that they gave a climax to each situation before they developed any rising action. You are sometimes catapulted into resolutions in which you had no idea why they came to be. Insight on how half breeds and Constantine's gift came to be is only mumbled, as if it was not important to the story. Why and how Consantine does his exorcising is so confusing. It is as if the director expected the audience to be experts in exorsisms.

The movie also rewrites the bible. If you are a religious person, such as En1gma, I would not see this movie.

Think Dogma, meets the Exorsist, meets the sixth sense, meets the Matrix. I had bigger expectations for Constantine. My final call is that this is a bad movie and approach it with caution. Perhaps if they made two movies out of this it would have been better. More time to explain the details and more action.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Reeves can't act.

End of story.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

Just like Kiamde said, the storyline got juggled around alot and there was no real rising point. So if some big event comes up in the movie I would not be entertained at all. Someone dies, big deal. Other than Keanu and Weisz, I don't even know who everyone else is really, they just show up.

Originally posted by Kiamde

The movie was pretty much a "do not smoke" plug. Constantine is plagued by lung cancer but for Constantine to live and suffer on earth- since earth life is so bad- Lucifer takes his cancer out of his body.

While i agree with your for the rest of your statements i have to comment on this.. because this was the part of the movie that i thought was the best for it's shear twist....

<SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ FURTHER>
    I was gonna add other stuff but i'm too lazy....Lucifer offers him a wish of sorts... So Keanu does the good thing and sacrifices his "could-be" extension of his own life for the well being of Wiez' sister's soul. Hence the Sacrifice and Keanu starts rising to heaven and when satan realizes what's about to happen he decides to take out the lung cancer crap and renewed his life.... So basically screwing Keanu who now has another chance at life to "Make a mistake" and go to hell......
    <END OF SPOILER>

Ok the reason i loved that part soo much is because lucifer seems to be somewhat childish and mischievous while you can sense he has power..... and alot of it. I really admired that acting and Keanu didn't do a bad job IN THAT SCENE either cuz all he was doing was laying down on the ground lmao. and the twist where the devil realizes that he can't take keanu and decides to let him live is just cool... shows that the devil is a smart person....::::04::

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>