Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Ram Related questions

Do you buy RAM off the shelf or do you ask for it? Cause I hope it's just on the shelf or something, I don't want to ask for it and blah blah blah, just  want to get it and leave.

And I have 512 PC2100 DDR memory, so as long as it says DDR, can I use it? Does it matter if it's kingston or Corsair or whatever?

Thank you image

My appearence... FAT, OLD, AND HAIRY!

Comments

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I dont see what you mean by ask for it??? Just go to a computer store and look for pc 2100 DDR ram, and what ever size you want. The brand doesnt matter.

• HairyDwarfHairyDwarf Member Posts: 144
    Thanks that solves the second question. And I meant like do you ask an employee or something to get it, or can you just walk in and grab it off the shelf.

Why? Are you planing on stealing it? Lol jk. Depends on the store though, some have it on the shelf and some have it in packages. Best Buy would have it on shelves, but they dont have a big selection.

HA HA! Good one. Reading what I said over actually does look like im gonna steal it lmao. I just dont want a big hassle, I like to go in, get something, and be done with it. So as long as it's PC2100 DDR, I can use it? I have 2 slots, each with 252 I think of RAM that came with the PC. . So I can replace one with any brand name, and the other doesnt have to be the same brand name? <-- Iknow confusing, sorry, just have a feeling I'm gonna mess something up.

They have to be the same type, which is 2100 DDR for you. Also you want to keep around the same CAS Latency. You cannot have 1 512 ram module in one slot and a 256 in the other. So if you want to upgrade your ram, get rid of the 256's, and get 2 512s. The brand means nothing.

Can I have 512 in one slot, and 256 in the other until I get more money?

Oh CRAP! I thought you meant 1,512 not 1 512. NOO! Now I have to buy 2! 512!!!!image I dont have the money for freakin 2...

Why can't I have 3 slots and not 2... WAHHH!!! image

You could upgrade your mother board and get 4 dimm slots, then you can get 4 256 modules lol.

Are you out of your mind! LMAO! I'm nervous about installing a new video card, let alone a new mother board! I'm scared of short circuiting  something... lol

• TackleburyTacklebury Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by 9216544

I dont see what you mean by ask for it??? Just go to a computer store and look for pc 2100 DDR ram, and what ever size you want. The brand doesnt matter.

Um actually brand does matter greatly.  So does timing and speed.  Premium memory is the only kind that will work on some boards.  Ie Mushkin, Ultra, PNY or other types have more rigorous quality control and thus fewer issues also.  Their chips are much more consistent as well.  The one thing that has been said correctly thus far, is that you definitely shouldn't buy a new chip of any kind and put it in with an existing, unless you know the exact brand, speed etc and then you must find the same exact thing, or else you risk them not working together or at all.  You can watch for deals at places like Tigerdirect on (2) 512mb chips at once like:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637686&CatId=548

Thus getting good memory at a slightly lower price and a guarantee they are matched with each other.  One last point.  Memory is typically backward compatible at least one generation, in other words, you should also be able to buy PC2700 memory also and use it.  Also, you should check your motherboard manufacturer's recommendations for memory.  I typically either buy generic, if they don't specify one, but on some higher end boards, ie. ASUS AK8 series, you pretty much have to buy premium or it won't work properly.  If possible, always buy the fastest ram type for your motherboard, ie if motherboard is specified to work with PC3200, buy that.  It's usually not much more to get the higher clockspeed memory and you will see the greatest improvement with faster memory.  Good luck to you!  Peace. ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>

Brand will only matter if it is a different CAS latency, ram speed, and had a heat sink or not. How could anything else matter??? Sorry im not the best computer expert, but this is the advice I got when I got my computer. Its always best to have two similar ram modules if you are gettting two.

Well I guess my only choice would be to get 1 GIG. My computer can handle that right? I heard some can only hold a certain amount... I guess I will get same brand since I will need 2 512's...

I think you just need to check your motherboards capacity per DIMM socket, someone correct me if wrong, wouldnt want to give you bad advice lol.

Brand will only matter if it is a different CAS latency, ram speed, and had a heat sink or not. How could anything else matter??? Sorry im not the best computer expert, but this is the advice I got when I got my computer. Its always best to have two similar ram modules if you are gettting two.

Sorry but not so.  Matching modules was required with Rambus Memory or RDRAM and several older pre PC100 types of memory, ie Dimms & some simms.  I've been building computers and servicing them since 1994....  You are correct that brand TYPICALLY won't make a difference.  That's why I suggest checking the Motherboard manufacturer's suggestion.  You can nowdays put a 512mb stick in with a 256 stick if they are the same timing.  (Note: I have 768 in my linux box atm).  It is important to always put the larger stick into the first DIMM slot however, because if the smaller one comes first, some bios will only register the second as the same size.  Things are always changing, in memory though, so the best bet is to check the manufacturer's specifications on the board and see what they recommend.  ;)

*edit*

One other thing is that almost no two chips manufactured by different companies will register the exact same clock speed.  Once again, that typically won't hurt anything unless you are compiling C++ programs or something which is very timing dependant, but if you want to avoid issues, I do recommend that people keep two of the same brand also.  But this isn't a hard and fast rule.

Tacklebury --}>>>

I think you just need to check your motherboards capacity per DIMM socket, someone correct me if wrong, wouldnt want to give you bad advice lol.

How do I check the capacity per socket?

( To Tackleberry ) So your saying I can have 512 in one socket and 256 in the other ask long as they are the same type, PC2100 DDR?

Originally posted by HairyDwarf

What is your motherboards make and model? 

Tacklebury --}>>>

Ummm derrrr... whats that? lol sorry can you give me an example? You mean like my computer model?

Ummm derrrr... whats that? lol sorry can you give me an example? You mean like my computer model?

That would be a place to start if you are unsure of the board, yes.  Ie. if you have a Compaq Presario 2100, go to compaq's website, click on support, then enter the model you have and it should give you a specifications listing on that pc.  If you had a buddy build it for you, you will have to ask him or see if he gave you a manual for it.  But big name PC's typically have the data online if it isn't too extremely old. ;)

If you cannot find it, post the model here and I'll look it up for you... ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>

( To Tackleberry ) So your saying I can have 512 in one socket and 256 in the other ask long as they are the same type, PC2100 DDR?

You should be ok as long as they are the same timing and speed...  ie both PC2100 and both clocks at the same speed.  If you are only gaming, it cannot hurt to try a different PC2100 brand in with yours, but I cannot guarantee that the two different chips will be compatible.  I'd need more data ie what brands and such to review them.  But if you are unsure of your motherboard, then you probably will not know what brands of memory they are.  8(

Tacklebury --}>>>

I have a Compaq Presario Model 5000 if thats what ya mean

There should be letters after the 5000 also.  There are about 10 Presario 5000 XX models.  It should be a T or CL or something like that. 8)  

***Edit***

My bad there is a plain 5000 if there are no letters we'll work with that one.

Tacklebury --}>>>

You do have one other option, since it's a compaq model, they should offer additional replacement or upgrade memory options if you contact their support.  This would possibly save you the error of getting something not compliant.  Usually their memory costs a bit more, but sometimes if you aren't really sure of what you are doing, it might be safer to go through them. ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>

This is Compaq's directive on how to find the actual model of your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&product=92867&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00004461

Tacklebury --}>>>

So your saying I cant just go out and buy my own? '

(That didnt tell me if I can have a GIG though, if I know I can have a GIG, I'll be happy and won't have anymore questions. I don't see why I shouldent be able to get that much...