Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing MMOs with a full-time job...

2»

Comments

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Thanks guys, nice to see everyone's two cents on this topic. I think it'll all depend on how I structure my spare time, and I'll most likely casually play my favourite MMO when I get the chance. Tbh, so what if I can't play the amount I'm used to, I've spent enough hours playing MMOs to last me a lifetime anyway :D

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

You're going to be an accountant and you expect to have time to play games?  Get a grip!  Companies seriously abuse first and second year accountants because you must have 2 years well-rounded experience to even think about taking your CPA exam.  So, unless you live in SmallTown USA and your Uncle Bob owns the local CPA firm you hope to work for, that has a grand total of 25 clients who don't need much done, you can expect to be working 60-70 hour weeks and maybe even more during tax season.  You won't be seriously playing any mmos for a while.

Originally posted by Cillasi

You're going to be an accountant and you expect to have time to play games?  Get a grip!  Companies seriously abuse first and second year accountants because you must have 2 years well-rounded experience to even think about taking your CPA exam.  So, unless you live in SmallTown USA and your Uncle Bob owns the local CPA firm you hope to work for, that has a grand total of 25 clients who don't need much done, you can expect to be working 60-70 hour weeks and maybe even more during tax season.  You won't be seriously playing any mmos for a while.

Well I've studied accounting in my domicile, England, accountants here just update the cashbook once in while and maybe check invoices for mistakes when we can be asked. Lol just joking, I may not have to do that many hours but for my first few years I'll be a trainee accountant and I'll have to work my way up to get a better wage, it's a tough job and if I want to become a chartered accountant I have to have a legitamate 2 years experience where my employer tells the proffesional board that I was a decent employee, and I have to do some ridiculously tough proffesional exams :(

Check this one out.

http://www.acca.co.uk/pubs/students/acca/exams/p6/past_papers/chn/p6chn_2009_jun_a.pdf

So in a nutshell, right now I'm studying, this time next year, I'll be working and studying lol

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by fenistil
    @OP

Sure. It is possible to still play mmorpg. Well unless you HAVE to be first , best , keep up with young players ,etc  then you might not see sense in playing anymore.

I don't understand that behaviour , but well that's just me.

I just play at my own pace, I have less time so it take me more days/weeks/months to get certain things than many other players that have more time, but then. So what?  They spend more time, more dedication (cause they have less rl things to take care of) ,etc so they get those thing sooner. 
    That IS normal and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I recently relized that there is bunch of working players who are somewhat unhappy cause youngsters/unemployed/etc 'progress' more and faster than them in mmorpg and they resort to even spend alot of money to keep up with them.
    I find this ridiculous and just silly. Why would grown working adult spend his hard earned money to get as high numbers in video game as soon as some teenager?  

So who are you to say what folks are supposed to do with THEIR hard earned money? As long as folks enjoy themselves that's what matter. Their reasons for doing this are theirs and theirs alone. Also, maybe they dont do this because they are unhappy but simply because.... THEY CAN!

I realy dislike how some folks are just jumping to conclusions about other people gameplay and gamestyle. How about you game and let game?

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

MMO's heavly on Raiding has always been the hardest thing for me, those are big time killers.  I would usually Raid anywhere from two to three times a week and Raiding during work week was always the hardest. This could easily kill 15 hours of my week, not including the 20 + hours I already put into the game.  

With GW2 and TOR being the two games I will be focusing on the most for MMO gaming, all I can hope for is both aren't heavy on Raid content that eat up a good chunk of my week.  These two games are going to be what I'm playing for the next number of years and I want to make sure I can still focus on work and friends without this being a problem, I have been burnt out from a MMO a few times and I have to leave for months and when I come back I refreshed again.  I hope I don't have to repeat this cycle again, cause playing two games at the same time is already going to be a juggle, hopefully RL won't be an issue,or I may have to choose the fate of one of these games just to make sure things work out.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

Originally posted by senadin

@OP

Sure. It is possible to still play mmorpg. Well unless you HAVE to be first , best , keep up with young players ,etc  then you might not see sense in playing anymore.

I just play at my own pace, I have less time so it take me more days/weeks/months to get certain things than many other players that have more time, but then. So what?  They spend more time, more dedication (cause they have less rl things to take care of) ,etc so they get those thing sooner. 

I recently relized that there is bunch of working players who are somewhat unhappy cause youngsters/unemployed/etc 'progress' more and faster than them in mmorpg and they resort to even spend alot of money to keep up with them.

I find this ridiculous and just silly. Why would grown working adult spend his hard earned money to get as high numbers in video game as soon as some teenager?  

So who are you to say what folks are supposed to do with THEIR hard earned money? As long as folks enjoy themselves that's what matter. Their reasons for doing this are theirs and theirs alone. Also, maybe they dont do this because they are unhappy but simply because.... THEY CAN!

I realy dislike how some folks are just jumping to conclusions about other people gameplay and gamestyle. How about you game and let game?

Hmm I suppose one may buy an account as a quick solution, but tbh kinda screws up the sense of achievement but some people are just like that.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by senadin

@OP

Well if you have hard time with my opinions, you can hmm, don't read them? 

I don't want and I cannot tell others what to do with their money. They are certainly free to do whatevver they want to do.

I have and will continue to have opinion about things and people, whenever you like it or not though.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

OP made me smile - the concerns of the young ; )

I'm in my late thirties with a very demanding job (~55 hours a week) and I still game. In fact the more stressful my job gets, the more I appreciate kicking back with pixellated mayhem. And I'm not the only person I know who feels that way.

Sure, I might not play every day, or even every couple of days, but I can crank out a 20 hour weekend when the whim takes me. I have far less patience for demands and timetables when it comes to gaming (You want me to give up 4 hours three nights  a week to raid? Nah, thanks, I get enough deadlines and schedules and performance reviews at work!).

May not seem like it now, but as others have said, the likelihood is that your attitude to gaming will change a bit, with age and life experience and extra responsiibilites. You may not care anymore about being top of the heap on your server, or being a "known" player in whatever game you play, but you'll have a greater appreciation for the sheer escapist fun that bursts of playing a really good game can provide.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that after a while gaming will move down your priority list a bit, but once a gamer, always a gamer, and you'll still enjoy the time you *do* have to play, and you'll be less inclined to waste that time on a game that doesn't bring the fun and keep it coming. You'll also be less prone to burn-out since you won't inhale and spit out the content of every new game that comes out in the first fortnight.

Tl;dr: Life happens, it's all good.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I don't really understand the issue or at least I cannot relate. When I had a 45+ hour work week is when I played the most. I worked from 5 am -  2:30ish and was home by 4, so I had at least 3 hours of play time each night and ample time on weekend. Now that I am in school I can't even play at all, my studies take up all my freetime and any freetime I do have is spent working out and as far away from a computer as possible. Well except for this anyway. You'll be surprised I think that with a job you will be able to play plenty of hours.

• ArmaniDevilArmaniDevil Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by ulpris

Family - Work - Play.

Just keep your choices in the correct priority and you can certainly play an MMO but like many posters above me have stated, you won't be top dog. The reason is simple, the younger players in school, living at home, and who don't have a full time job just won't have your same priorities. They can devote double or even triple the number of hours you can possibly devote, so don't try to match them. It comes with being an real adult (not just age). Just accept it, your family life will improve because of the increased time your spend with them and you will do better at work if you aren't tired all the time.

I know a few friends who couldn't come to grip with adulthood. One lost a really cushy job because he was always tired and took days off from work when game expansions launched (Looking at you WoW). He has another job now but it doesn't pay as much so he has to work longer to earn the same amount he would have. Another is still single and living in an apartment because he never spent time trying to actually meet people in RL and MMOs dont teach you valid social skills. They are both almost fourty year olds and watching them both implode over the years was all the incentive I needed to stay my course. 

So I putter away at an hour or two every night on MMOs and while I certainly won't ever be top tier in any kind of ranking system;I won't be working at wallmart making minimum wage either. I mention this last fact because I met someone in RL who was actually working at WallMart in the Electronics area, he turned out to be a top rank infilitrator in DAOC. Made me feel alot better about the choices I made.

As I typed this, my little girl came over to help me dress her doll and my wife is upstairs getting ready to have lunch with my folks. Later we are going head off to Disneyland (Season Passes FTW) for the evening to see the fireworks. Let the the little kiddies live in their MMOs, RL is way better.

Smells of sanctimonious bullshit. 

Don't let the hot air take you too high buddy. It'll be one hell of a rough landing.

• izzerizzer Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Man1ac

I've always been an MMO lover and have played many in the past. I'm only in my early 20s so, so far in life I've always simply been in full-time education, where pretty much I've always had enough time to dedicate 15+ hours a week playing my favourite games. I'm finally graduating at the end of this year and hopefully will be able to find myself a trainee accounting job.

So what seems to be stuck in my head is that in my future if I've working 40+ hours a week and maybe hopefully having a wife and kids, will it be worthwhile playing MMOs? With most you need to spend quite a while maxing the level of your character before you can indulge the end game experience.

So what approach do you guys who are in that position take? Do you play the MMOs which are designed for casual players perhaps, or just play an MMO you enjoy but you know you'll never fully enjoy the game because you don't have enough time to play them. Or am I just talking gibberish because there is always enough time to play MMOs even with a really busy life?

I was worried a few years back when I was moving on to a full time job. But I was in a great guild and had a bunch of friends so we would work around people's work schedule for raids and such. And the days one of us couldn't be online we always had a character or 2 that we leveled just with each other. If you are playing a game you truley enjoy then the speed of leveling won't be much of a concern. And if you get aggro from the wifey just give her the boot.. j/k :) :)

Originally posted by izzer

I've always been an MMO lover and have played many in the past. I'm only in my early 20s so, so far in life I've always simply been in full-time education, where pretty much I've always had enough time to dedicate 15+ hours a week playing my favourite games. I'm finally graduating at the end of this year and hopefully will be able to find myself a trainee accounting job.

So what seems to be stuck in my head is that in my future if I've working 40+ hours a week and maybe hopefully having a wife and kids, will it be worthwhile playing MMOs? With most you need to spend quite a while maxing the level of your character before you can indulge the end game experience.

So what approach do you guys who are in that position take? Do you play the MMOs which are designed for casual players perhaps, or just play an MMO you enjoy but you know you'll never fully enjoy the game because you don't have enough time to play them. Or am I just talking gibberish because there is always enough time to play MMOs even with a really busy life?

I was worried a few years back when I was moving on to a full time job. But I was in a great guild and had a bunch of friends so we would work around people's work schedule for raids and such. And the days one of us couldn't be online we always had a character or 2 that we leveled just with each other. If you are playing a game you truley enjoy then the speed of leveling won't be much of a concern. And if you get aggro from the wifey just give her the boot.. j/k :) :)

Haha, fair enough bud. I'm really  enjoying these responses, looks like I'll have absolutely nothing to worry about :)

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

IMO you can still play MMORPGs with a full time job. If you are like most players, it probably won't leave much time for anything else though. However once you get into a serious relationship and start having kids I think they're off the table - unless you want to end up single again...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Play an MMO thats friendly to casuall players ....

GW2 comes to my mind as a future game...

I myself have been maried for almost 20 years now... kids growing up... HAving a full time job, several social functions, and trainign 10+ hours a week.... and i still find atleast 2 hours a day and longer in the weekends to play MMO's.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Everything in moderation.  If you have kids dont expect you partner to babysit all the time, shared resposibilities are paramount.  Your partner will want quality time with you aswel so you need to put time aside for her aswel.

I'm fortunate to have a g/f who also like gaming and playing mmo's, but if your partner isnt into that sort of thing then your time for gaming will be dramaticly reduced.  Dont do as many have done risk your relationship for a game, because at the end of the day thats all it is, a game.  Also moving back to kids, give them the best possible start in life as you can.  Time runs really fast after 20 and before you know it you have hit 40 and your kids have grown up and you will be thinking where did those years go?

Will you have time for an MMO?,  to be honest thats all depends on your priorities and your lifestyle.  No one person in here can give you an accurate answer.

If your priority is to fit in gaming around work, then i suggest to stay away from a relationship unless you find a partner that has the same interest or your ready to move away from gaming and concentrate on what matters most to you.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

There is always time to play but never as you are used to.

I got a baby and my work hours are flexible thank god, If i want to play for a longer session, raiding/PvP my girlfriend takes care of the baby for those hours and if she want's to go out and eat with her friends i take care of the baby.

of course some weeks might get alittle hectic both with work and family but that's life.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

There is always time to play..

I currently play darkfall, this game does tend to need a lot of time in game to get good, but i still find the time to wor, have a RL and play the game..

Yeah you wont play as much but you will get used to it and infact probally enjoy your time in game even more because of it.

:)

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

If you have kids I'd say forget about it. If not, I don't see how you can't easily squeeze a few hours in your schedule. I doubt you are constantly doing something, and unless you have to wake up at 5m I don't see the issue. I'll be living with my girl here shortly and I see no reason why I can't easily put in 4 hours a day if I wanted to.

• blockbuster2k24blockbuster2k24 Member CommonPosts: 4
    said:

Family - Work - Play.

Just keep your choices in the correct priority and you can certainly play an MMO but like many posters above me have stated, you won't be top dog. The reason is simple, the younger players in school, living at home, and who don't have a full time job just won't have your same priorities. They can devote double or even triple the number of hours you can possibly devote, so don't try to match them. It comes with being an real adult (not just age). Just accept it, your family life will improve because of the increased time your spend with them and you will do better at work if you aren't tired all the time.

I know a few friends who couldn't come to grip with adulthood. One lost a really cushy job because he was always tired and took days off from work when game expansions launched (Looking at you WoW). He has another job now but it doesn't pay as much so he has to work longer to earn the same amount he would have. Another is still single and living in an apartment because he never spent time trying to actually meet people in RL and MMOs dont teach you valid social skills. They are both almost fourty year olds and watching them both implode over the years was all the incentive I needed to stay my course. 

So I putter away at an hour or two every night on MMOs and while I certainly won't ever be top tier in any kind of ranking system;I won't be working at wallmart making minimum wage either. I mention this last fact because I met someone in RL who was actually working at WallMart in the Electronics area, he turned out to be a top rank infilitrator in DAOC. Made me feel alot better about the choices I made.

As I typed this, my little girl came over to help me dress her doll and my wife is upstairs getting ready to have lunch with my folks. Later we are going head off to Disneyland (Season Passes FTW) for the evening to see the fireworks. Let the the little kiddies live in their MMOs, RL is way better.

*No longer a user. *

I am here months later to say that it is practically impossible.  

Working 55+hours a week, relationship, kid, another hobby, and an MMORPG like Black Desert Online. Something will lack. I have seen to many older guys try to get back, stay in, or get in only to have to quit playing Hardcore mmos because something else is slipping. 

I have heard the "going through divorce," "Darn my wifes home" "have to take care of the baby" 

Weeks gone by I have had to make the decision to remove some of these people to make room. Good guys, yet..... 

If you don't have the time to play time consuming MMOS don't. Its not worth straining your relationships, work, or other hobbies. 

I saw this thread on google and came here because I was going through a minute of sadness. I never thought I would reach the point where I would have to cut back huge.  Former GM/GL. of many korean mmos.

Unless you are the 1% it is nearly impossible to have an extensive social life, relationship, work, kids, 7/8hrs sleep, 55+hours of work, and be anywhere near mid tier on mmos. MMOS I have played always have PVP those short hours you have can easily be ruining because of other guilds wanting to fight.

Some of us just won't be able to have it all the positives. My old brose was all like " Common sense" but common sense is not common.