Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Beta Testing Weekend Incoming!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you're one of the ten people in the universe who have yet to sign up for beta testing events for Star Wars: The Old Republic, you might want to swing by the official site and get with the program.

The official site has been updated with the news that the next beta testing event will begin on October 7th and will run through October 10th. Invites for the session will be sent out this week.

Sign ups are still being accepted so head to the official Star Wars: The Old Republic site to get in the pool of potential testers.

C'mon in! The water's fine!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110

Just got my testing invite and downloading the client now,cant wait till friday to test the game.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Yea same here. 

Havent been sure what I think of this game.  But I guess I'll find out now first hand.  Hope I can get a few bug reports in with the time I have with it. 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I got passed by again, Bioware hates me.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

In time Kost.

Glad you others got in,  enjoy your time :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Must ... resist ... urge .... to sign pact with spoiler snake!

*wails silently*

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Where the Christ is my beta invite?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Dl'ing at 1.76 MB/s ... damn good for adsl here so not complaining.

Second weekend of testing here I come!

You stay sassy!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by maskedweasel

In time Kost.

Glad you others got in,  enjoy your time :)

I've been waiting for over 700 days, I sure hope my time comes soon :(

I'm just frustrated is all, I've noticed invites being sold on third party trading sites and such all day today, and it occurs everytime a batch goes out. It's disheartening when all you want to do is try and help make the game the best possible product it can be come launch, while watching other's who have been honored with the chance sell the opportunity for cash money.

I'm trying to remain positive though.

Originally posted by Tamanous

I have a question, and I dont THINK it breaks the NDA so I'll ask it. 

Once you are accepted into Beta are you automatically granted access to all other Beta events, or do you have to get a seperate invite for each testing event?  Thanks for any responses. 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by Corehaven

Once you are accepted into Beta are you automatically granted access to all other Beta events, or do you have to get a seperate invite for each testing event?  Thanks for any responses. 

They openly stated before that being invited into a weekend would not guarantee another weekend but that changed when there were too many issues with player accounts on the first weekend and all were invited back.

Now that they are fast expanding invites anyway I would hope they simply include all previous but I honestly haven't heard yet if this will be true.

You stay sassy!

• theerminetheermine Member Posts: 9

Account Created Date: 01/16/09

Signed up for Beta as soon aftter that creation as I could and still nothing from them. Even preordered collectors edition hoping it would give me a boos in the pool.. Bummer.. Starting to get the feeling it'll be an overhyped waste of money anyway. Hope I'm wrong, just have to wait and see.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Looks like i'm staying up all night tapping F5 on my email inbox.

^__^

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

got my invite finally, just hang in there guys I'm sure yours is coming soon :)

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• Originally posted by Tamanous

Originally posted by Corehaven

They openly stated before that being invited into a weekend would not guarantee another weekend but that changed when there were too many issues with player accounts on the first weekend and all were invited back.

Now that they are fast expanding invites anyway I would hope they simply include all previous but I honestly haven't heard yet if this will be true.

currently being re-invited to another test is only for those that were in the first weekend.  so starting with this one, those invited to test for the weekend will not be invited for other weekends. this of course is subject to change.

StephenReid General Discussion -> Re-invite for Beta Testing Weekend #1 testers

Hey all,

Today we re-invited all testers who were invited to our Beta Testing Weekend #1 back to a future Beta Testing Weekend (which will happen on as yet unspecified date). I wanted to give you a little insight into why, and clear up confusion.

These testers were not re-invited to a Beta Testing Weekend for this weekend. We're still internally testing the next major build of the game. As we've said before, when we're ready to give everyone a date for the next Beta Testing Weekend, we'll announce it.

Why are they being re-invited? Because we feel for a significant proportion of those invited to test during Beta Testing Weekend #1, they did not have an optimal testing experience. As I mentioned before, we had some issues, including some people not receiving an invite, and others being unable to get the client in time because of issues with their acceptance of their invite. With those factors in mind, we felt that because many people did not experience the game, it was worthwhile to re-invite everyone.

Where does that leave everyone who hasn't been invited to test yet?

First, I realize that we previously stated if people were invited to test, they would not be invited again. Although that policy may change in future, we're not changing it right now. However we feel that this situation is unique enough that we're re-inviting this weekend's testers. We expect this to be a one-off situation. I hope anyone who's waiting to get into testing realizes that if they had similar issues, we would 'do the right thing' by you too.

Second, it's important to realize as we've said before that future Game Testing Weekends are planned to be much, much larger than the first. This weekend's entire testing population is actually just a small fraction of the total number we're planning to invite to the next weekend, and our number of invites will go up after that. (Indeed, we'll probably just increase our numbers overall and add the re-invited testers onto that total number.)

In summary, we had some issues and we wanted to ensure those invited to test, got to test. This is, we feel, a unique and one-off situation, but it's also the right thing to do.

I realize that some of you may feel that getting a re-invite is unfair, as those re-invited will get more play time than those invited to just one weekend. That's understandable. However, getting an invite and then not being able to play through no fault of your own isn't great either. I'm sure if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who was invited but couldn't play, you'd be grateful for the chance to test the game and give feedback.

For those of you yet to test, please be patient and understanding of our reasoning here. We're going to invite many, many people to test The Old Republic before we launch and chances are, you'll be one of them.

For those of you lucky enough to be re-invited, please respect the Game Testing Agreement and have some sympathy for those who haven't been invited to test at all yet.

If you have questions, you know where we are.

here is the beta weekend faq for those that have questions:

StephenReid General Discussion -> Beta/Game Testing Weekends FAQ

Beta Testing Weekends began last weekend, to get more people than ever before testing Star Wars: The Old Republic. We invited a number of testers in to experience the game this past weekend, and will continue to invite more testers, in greater numbers, as we move towards launch.

While the number of those invited will increase over time and while we plan to invite as many people as possible who are signed up for Game Testing to test, there are no guarantees that everyone who applies will be invited.

It is also important to note that not every weekend going forward will be a Beta Testing Weekend. In September, we're hoping for one more Beta Testing Weekend, which will be larger in invite size than the last.

Now, onto some FAQs and answers:

What's the difference between Early Game Access, Beta Testing Weekends, Guild Testing and Game Testing?

They are four different ways to get access to play The Old Republic. Details are as follows:

Early Game Access: Available to everyone who pre-orders any edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic and redeems their Pre-Order Code. Essentially a head-start, it will begin before the formal release date/launch day of the game. The final release client will be used to play. Exact duration will be revealed closer to our release date.

(Edited to reflect that Early Game Access is not another phase of testing; apologies for any confusion. )

Beta Testing Weekends: Large scale, short-term testing. We will be inviting registered testers to play the game in greater invite numbers than ever before. The first Beta Testing Weekend started on September 2nd. They will continue beyond September and will not necessarily occur every weekend.

Game Testing: The ongoing testing program. We continue to invite those who have registered for Game Testing into the program on a regular basis. Those selected will generally test the game for an extended period of time, as opposed to a Beta Testing Weekend.

Guild Testing: We are selecting guilds who are registered on our Guild HQ for inclusion into general Game Testing (see above). Invites to a guild do not necessarily extend to all guild members.

As part of Beta Testing Weekends, will the Game Testing Agreement (specifically, the Non-Disclosure Agreement) be lifted or modified?

No. The Game Testing Agreement is still fully in effect for Beta Testing Weekends. As before, you may tell others that you are part of the Game Testing Program (or that you have been invited to a Beta Testing Weekend). However, you may not reveal any other details about your game testing experience, including any aspect of the testing process, any details of the client, or any assets from the game (including text). Even after the Game Testing Weekend is over you may not detail your experiences.

Any breaches of the Game Testing Agreement at any time will result in your potential immediate removal from Game Testing and/or prevent you from being invited to any future testing.

Will Beta Testing Weekend invites be sent in the usual way Game Testing invites are sent?

Yes. Those invited will receive an email to the email address they have registered on their SWTOR account. The email will come from [email protected]. Ensure you have that email address registered in your email whitelist so that the email does not go into your spam folder. If you think you have deleted the email by mistake, you can check to see if you have been invited by logging in to the SWTOR.com web site at www.swtor.com/tester/. If you are unsure of an email's authenticity, we strongly advise you to login to the website to confirm. If you are still unsure, please email [email protected]

After a Beta Testing Weekend is over, will I get re-invited to a future Beta Testing Weekend?

At this time, we are not planning to re-invite those who are invited to a Beta Testing Weekend to future Beta Testing Weekends. This may change in the future.

I previously participated in Game Testing, but am no longer participating. Does that omit me from being re-selected, either for a Beta Testing Weekend, or Game Testing generally?

Currently, if you have previously been selected to test Star Wars: The Old Republic, you will normally not be re-selected for future testing. (This applies whether you were selected previously for an early Game Testing period that is now finished, a Beta Testing Weekend, or any other testing access, eg through a third-party research agency.) That may change closer to launch.

Why can't I get re-invited to Game Testing? I felt like I gave good feedback previously.

We appreciate every piece of feedback given by testers, whether previous or current, and continue to make changes to the game as a result. However, with an unprecedented level of interest in testing The Old Republic, we have chosen to get as many sets of 'fresh eyes' on the game as possible. We're aiming to get as wide a range of feedback from as many testers as we can before launch.

I am currently part of the Game Testing program, and my phase is about to end. Will I be re-invited?

Anyone currently part of the Game Testing program has access to the game until we decide otherwise. Periodically you may need to re-accept an invitation to testing, but this will be clearly indicated in the Testing Forums.

Will future Beta Testing Weekends be three days long?

Most Beta Testing Weekends will last roughly from a Friday evening to Sunday evening. In some cases, we may choose to extend the time available at our discretion.

I got an invite to a Beta Testing Weekend, but can't test during that weekend due to other commitments. Can I postpone my invite to another weekend?

You may choose, if you wish, to decline a Beta Testing Weekend invite. If you do this, you will be put back into the general 'pool' for potential future selection. However, your selection in the future is not guaranteed; you will be picked randomly.

Will those invited to Beta Testing Weekends be playing on the same servers as those in Game Testing?

For the first weekend, those invited will be playing on a separate server. This will probably be the format for future Beta Testing Weekends, but if our requirements change, we may invite people to specific servers (or potentially allow them to choose from multiple servers).

Will extra time be given to download the SWTOR game client before a Beta Testing Weekend starts?

Yes. Invites to Beta Testing Weekends are generally sent out a few days before the weekend to allow time to download the client. However, because of internet download speeds and the invite schedule, we cannot guarantee you will have the game client downloaded and installed before the weekend starts.

The size of the game client is currently approximately 27Gb.

Can I use the same game client in testing and then at launch?

We cannot guarantee that you will not have to re-download and re-install the game client at any point before the start of Early Game Access. Periodically addditional content patches may be required during any period of Game Testing.

Do those invited to Beta Testing Weekends get access to Forums to talk about their experience and give feedback?

Yes. Specific Forums for Beta Testing Weekends will be opened from when invites are sent out for that weekend, until a short period of time after the weekend's testing is over. These will only be accessible to those invited to the specific Beta Testing Weekend.

Are invites to Game Testing still random?

Yes. Those invited to Game Testing - of any kind - are still currently randomly selected from those who have opted-in to be eligible for Game Testing.

There used to be a 'System Scan' function on the website as part of Game Testing sign-up, and now it's gone. How does this affect me?

We no longer require potential Game Testing applicants to perform a 'system scan'. If you have previously scanned your PC and have since upgraded it, don't be concerned. You're still eligible for selection to Game Testing.

When does Game Testing for EU-based players start?

Game Testing for EU-based players is imminent, and will include localized French and German versions of the game. Future phases of Game Testing for EU players will happen on EU-based servers. Beta Testing Weekends will also begin specifically for EU players in the same timeframe.

As EU players are being invited now and other players have been testing for longer, will feedback from EU players make a difference to the game at launch?

Yes. Every piece of feedback from a tester is potentially useful. Even if a piece of feedback is not acted upon before launch, it may be used to change the game in some way in the future.

As part of Guild Testing, will guilds be invited to Beta Testing Weekends?

Guilds are generally invited to the main Game Testing program. Individual guild members, through random selection, may be invited to Beta Testing Weekends, but guilds will not be selected for inclusion in Beta Testing Weekends as part of Guild Testing.

I have infractions on my Forums account. Does that prevent me from being invited to Game Testing?

No, it does not, although accruing enough infractions could lead to a Forums ban. If you are banned from the Forums, you would also be removed from Game Testing.

I pre-ordered The Old Republic; does that allow me access to Game Testing or Beta Testing Weekends?

At this time, pre-ordering The Old Republic and redeeming your Pre-Order Code ensures you gain Early Game Access.

I live outside of the initial launch countries for Star Wars: The Old Republic; will I be able to take part in Game Testing in any way?

We're hoping to extend Game Testing to many more countries before launch, but we have no estimate on exactly when that will happen.

StephenReid General Discussion -> Beta/Game Testing Weekends FAQ

Hello everyone. In response to some questions here I re-edited an answer and also added a couple of more Q&As in the original post. Here's the text that was affected:

I previously participated in Game Testing, but am no longer participating. Does that omit me from being re-selected, either for a Beta Testing Weekend, or Game Testing generally?

Currently, if you have previously been selected to test Star Wars: The Old Republic, you will normally not be re-selected for future testing. (This applies whether you were selected previously for an early Game Testing period that is now finished, a Beta Testing Weekend, or any other testing access, eg through a third-party research agency.) That may change closer to launch.

Why can't I get re-invited to Game Testing? I felt like I gave good feedback previously.

We appreciate every piece of feedback given by testers, whether previous or current, and continue to make changes to the game as a result. However, with an unprecedented level of interest in testing The Old Republic, we have chosen to get as many sets of 'fresh eyes' on the game as possible. We're aiming to get as wide a range of feedback from as many testers as we can before launch.

I am currently part of the Game Testing program, and my phase is about to end. Will I be re-invited?

Anyone currently part of the Game Testing program has access to the game until we decide otherwise. Periodically you may need to re-accept an invitation to testing, but this will be clearly indicated in the Testing Forums.

• Originally posted by Aramanu2

Looks like i'm staying up all night tapping F5 on my email inbox.

^__^

just check http://www.swtor.com/tester. its alot faster and avoids missing it if it ends up in the spam folder

edit: just a bit of a heads up, all invites for the beta weekend have been sent out:

StephenReid General Discussion -> Game Testing: official 'invites have been sent' thread

All invites for Beta Testing Weekend #2 have now been sent.

Please check your email (including spam folders) and login to swtor.com/tester/ to see if you have been accepted for this weekend's testing. If you were not invited to this weekend, you may be invited to future testing.

Also to clarify something:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeora View Post

They are still sending out invites for general testing which will stop being sent out october 7th.

Sorry no, the date in the original post refers to when the week ends, so that people understand invites for this week won't be sent beyond that date. I'll update the original post.

We do not advertise 'future invites', generally speaking. If we send any further invites this week, again, we'll update this thread either just before or just after the invites have been sent.

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

shame....im on holiday for 2 weeks on thursday :( hope i will get a inv in 1 of the other weekend beta's later tho!!!

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

At this point I wonder if opting out and then back in would highten chances, almost feel like those of us that registered way back in 2009 aren't in good runnings for invites :

• joseph567joseph567 Member CommonPosts: 51

WOOT! I got my invite today.  I have had a Crappy week so far,  now I have something to look forward too.

• Originally posted by Juggerz

shame....im on holiday for 2 weeks on thursday :( hope i will get a inv in 1 of the other weekend beta's later tho!!!

make sure not to accept the invite otherwise you will be excluded from being able to take part in other weekends.

from the faq:

I got an invite to a Beta Testing Weekend, but can't test during that weekend due to other commitments. Can I postpone my invite to another weekend?

You may choose, if you wish, to decline a Beta Testing Weekend invite. If you do this, you will be put back into the general 'pool' for potential future selection. However, your selection in the future is not guaranteed; you will be picked randomly.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Second time for beta testing for me Woot!!!image

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

q_q i wantz it!

• saleensaleen Member UncommonPosts: 44

No invite :/ Poo!

Look at it this way guys.  Its a measily three days or less of game.  Then you'd be back to waiting until December to play it anyways.  Might make waiting even more difficult after that point. 

If you do get invited, try to write bug reports like nobody's business.  Wait until December to truely enjoy it.  Because it looks like its going to be like that anyways.  I got invited and Im not particularly excited.  I get three days.  Big whoop.  Which I understand their reasoning behind this and I understand it.  But its not a huge deal. 

December is just a few months away. 

• ExostoticExostotic Member Posts: 26

random selection is such crap. It should be first come, first serve for any who match the system set up they are looking for. I registered in at least 2009. I feel like it was even earlier, if that was possible yet

• Originally posted by Exostotic

random selection is such crap. It should be first come, first serve for any who match the system set up they are looking for. I registered in at least 2009. I feel like it was even earlier, if that was possible yet

testing sign ups started in late sept. '09.  testing didnt begin till july '10.  website registering started in oct. '08 so maybe you registered for the site then