Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Hello, My Friend. Stay Awhile & Listen

2»

Comments

• OsedaxOsedax Member UncommonPosts: 16

had to stop watching after the 3rd time he said "di ab lo"

....seriously?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Dragonfish

Originally posted by Spiritof55

Originally posted by tyrannis

I can't buy this game based on principle which few people seem to have nowadays.  I don't like knowing an internet connection is required for this game.  If you don't have one you can't play.....at all.....not even offline single player from what I understand (unless that has changed recently).  Yes I have broadband but thats not the point.

You can choose and protest with your money because thats what everyone wants from you.  I'll be using my money elsewhere.

These forums require you to have Internet access to use and yet here you are posting, and to think merely by stoping by to post and read these forums you are in fact giving mmorpg.com add revenue everytime you click on a page.  Oh the Irony!

A forum is not a game.

Is this not obvious to anyone else?

I'm so confused... why are you even on this website then? Don't all MMORPG's require internet access? If they didn't they would just be RPG's. So do you play MMO's or not?

If a game is going to make me stay connected to the net at all times then they better darn well be a full fledged mmorpg.  Anything else and Im not buying it either .  

Ive always played Diablo for its single player component.  People say they love playing with friends and Ive tried it, but its just mindless hack and slash.  I never saw the real benefit.   I play solo.  And if Im playing solo, Im not going to play a game where I have to stay connected to the internet.  Unless its an mmorpg.  Which this is not. 

I'll say it another way.  I am NOT going to start supporting games that arent mmorpgs that require connection to the internet.  Or suddenly all games will start doing it.  And then all games will require an internet connection to play.  Which at that point?  Hello friendly console. See ya PC gaming. 

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I can't buy this game based on principle which few people seem to have nowadays.  I don't like knowing an internet connection is required for this game.  If you don't have one you can't play.....at all.....not even offline single player from what I understand (unless that has changed recently).  Yes I have broadband but thats not the point.

You can choose and protest with your money because thats what everyone wants from you.  I'll be using my money elsewhere.

Well, we've all got to have principles.  Way to take a stand in life.  Being the unprincipled person that I am, however, I prefer enjoying myself when I play video games, and the Diablo titles have always been a great source of enjoyment for me.  So I won't be joining you on your crusade this time.  I'll be jumping the fence and getting back into Diablo 3, even if it is online. I'll be sure to say a blessing in your honor as I'm slicing and dismembering demon body parts in an orgy of gore, though.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by Orious

Clarification for me please...

Do you add your own stat points when you level? If not...that's epic fail #1. I do know that the reason would be to make "player skill" the main factor in competative /arena style gameplay, but  that really sucks.

Second question is: Do you automatically acquire skills now instead of using skill points and choosing your PATH and etc. like in D2? If you automatically acquire... that's epic fail #2. I do know the reason for this is to force<-- arena style play as well.

My #1 pet peeve was the fact that the game looked a lot more cartoony and less gritty, but it seems like they've made it a little more mature. Just having exploading bodies and guts and stuff doesn't have the same effect as the actual grittiness of the previous games. Know what I mean?

But I'm going to be very angry if they took out the player's ability to tune there character's stats and choose skills from skill trees. 

No, you do not allot any stats as you level.

You earn slots for skills as well as the skills automatically at specified levels. Ony other thing is slotting general and ability tweaks. The customization comes from being purposefully limited in the amount of abilities you gain and use, I want to say eight powers at any given time.

I'll check in a bit to verify, but in general the concerns about what you just asked are true.

EDIT: Like I've said before. They're not making this to cater to Diablo fans, they're making it to cater to their largest market. Changes that make it 'less diablo' were made a long time back with that intent both for graphics and gameplay.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

I remember seeing some footage a long time ago with a warior type who did an aoe knockback that caused a sweet distortion wave. I didn't see anything anything simillar, graphics-wise with Ripper's character.  Did they leave out some of the effects, for acessability, or smoother game play? Maybe Ripper's char. was too lowbie?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Dragim

So again- you cannot choose the sex of your character but are stuck with the stock "sex" for the class?

I know probably not the biggest deal, but I figured with how games are now adays you could choose male or female for your character.

I didn't want to watch the video as I would like everything to be new and exciting when I play, rather than play and be like..."Ah yeah,t his is that part I saw in that video"

I can understand if that is a problem in a MMO like WAR but in Diablo?

You go down into a dungeon and kill stuff, nohing else. It isn't exactly like you identify yourself with the character or anything in that kind of game.

We are talking arcade style violence of a type we mostly see in console games today. If a game like GW2 or TOR would be like this I would be upset as well, but in this case I really don't care the least what sex my character looks like.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by Dayzon

I remember seeing some footage a long time ago with a warior type who did an aoe knockback that caused a sweet distortion wave. I didn't see anything anything simillar, graphics-wise with Ripper's character.  Did they leave out some of the effects, for acessability, or smoother game play? Maybe Ripper's char. was too lowbie?

he was only level 5 in the video, so i'd assume yes he was too lowbie

I liked the video, I think ripper x has a good take on reviews. Can't wait for this game to be released as it doesn't look like i'll be playing any mmos in the future

• AuroretteAurorette Member Posts: 9

Great video thank you :) please keep them coming.

Who do I have to sleep with to get into beta? :)

• exe626exe626 Member UncommonPosts: 6

this is for a reason.

single player games have your account information stored "locally", meaning the files are all on your computer. the single player option intends to take your multiplayer account and allow you to play with or without other people(to avoid cracked versions of the free version, we all know how greedy blizzard is).

now, imagine someone managed to hack these character files and had the ability to edit their levels, items, etc., then logged into the multiplayer game with an extremely op char. sounds like fun, right? by storing the char files on a server, instead of locally, they prevent this; thus, an internet connection will better secure the game.

if you're so keen on playing an online game alone, well.. go buy an xbox360, or a ps3.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by exe626

this is for a reason.

single player games have your account information stored "locally", meaning the files are all on your computer. the single player option intends to take your multiplayer account and allow you to play with or without other people(to avoid cracked versions of the free version, we all know how greedy blizzard is).

now, imagine someone managed to hack these character files and had the ability to edit their levels, items, etc., then logged into the multiplayer game with an extremely op char. sounds like fun, right? by storing the char files on a server, instead of locally, they prevent this; thus, an internet connection will better secure the game.

if you're so keen on playing an online game alone, well.. go buy an xbox360, or a ps3.

For people who travel a lot or live and work away from home during the week, the no offline function is very, very annoying. Hauling around xboxes and ps's is also not really an option either if you are travelling around a lot. The past D1 and D2 had offline functions so it is disappointing to me that I don't have the option of enjoying D3 when I am not at home like I could have done with D1 and D2. During the weekend, I enjoy playing MMOs, so D3 is a game I will only be engaging in rarely.

Where I live during the week there is no internet at all and no 3G network. So that means driving to the nearest city, finding an internet café, and spending lots of money... again if I go to an internet café, why play D3 and not one of my MMOs (if they are supported)?

Compare with TL2 which I will be able to download to my netbook and play from the comfort of my work accommodation... hmmm ...

Think my situation is rare? It is not. Lots of people involved in the construction industry (the big projects and I am not just talking about construction workers themselves) live away from home and have no internet during the week. If gaming is your hobby, offline games are win...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

I can't see Ripper's take cuz the vid is having issues... that stinks.  I fell in love with his commentary on even the worst of games.