Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription based? Why you guys think will someone pay for it? In Europe.

2»

Comments

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by leromanHobbies: jogging, swimming, chess, reading, driving, photography, summer & winter

sports, martial arts-bambo stik...

Thank you in advance.

I like bambo stiks too !!

We are all satoshi!
  • mindblwnmindblwn Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Loktofeit

What i got from that is

• Step One: Make the game free

• Step Two: Millions of players come

• Step Three: ?????????

• Step Four: Profit!

Could you clarify Step Three?

Step 1: Steal underpants.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: profit.

Sounds familiar?

If Tera is good enough it can live on P2P, many other games have done so fine in the past.

If it isn't it will fail. F2P seems to generate a little more money but if Tera doesn't have any RMT shop at all making it P2P might actually be a smart move. Not all people want games with cash shops in and the selection for people who like that is getting smaller and smaller.

I don't think the genre would cash in more money totally if all games went F2P, people spend a certain amount on computer games every month even though it can vary a little, so making every game F2P makes no sense to me.

You say F2P generates more money. You contradict yourself when you say P2P would be a smart move. Games are run by companies. Companies are there for $$$. 

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

If it isn't it will fail. F2P seems to generate a little more money but if Tera doesn't have any RMT shop at all making it P2P might actually be a smart move. Not all people want games with cash shops in and the selection for people who like that is getting smaller and smaller.

I don't think the genre would cash in more money totally if all games went F2P, people spend a certain amount on computer games every month even though it can vary a little, so making every game F2P makes no sense to me.

There was an article around March here telling that Enmasse teamed up with some company that had experience with micro-transactions. They said that TERA would not get a cash-shop, but that this team up was only for the players to buy the game and pay the subscription. One month later it's announced that TERA in Europe will be hosted by Frogster (yet an other F2P cash-shop publisher), but Frogster would use subscription as well.

By the looks of this, I think Enmasse is not sure if TERA will succeed as P2P, and keep their options open to convert it to F2P with cash-shop the moment TERA won't succeed at launch. Okay, I'm just speculating here, but why else do they team up with a micro-transaction collector in the US and hand the EU license to Frogster..?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Not so sure that people will in fact, pay monthly subs for it. It needs to be a game with enough content to last a long time to prevent heavy draining of subs and not force a F2P transition within a year.

Looking at how Tera has been doing in South Korea makes me have doubts about the richness and ammount of content. It won't be able to keep people in by just having fun combat and very pretty graphics and character models. Might be that they need to do much more than just port the game to a western audience.

*curious is*

But good luck making some money, OP ^_^

Don't count on that you can make it of Tera though. Diablo 3 might be a better bet with the cash based item mall (if you are willing to grind your ass off 24/7, doing very repetitive stuff for maybe a few bucks per hour).

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Reizla

There was an article around March here telling that Enmasse teamed up with some company that had experience with micro-transactions. They said that TERA would not get a cash-shop, but that this team up was only for the players to buy the game and pay the subscription. One month later it's announced that TERA in Europe will be hosted by Frogster (yet an other F2P cash-shop publisher), but Frogster would use subscription as well.

By the looks of this, I think Enmasse is not sure if TERA will succeed as P2P, and keep their options open to convert it to F2P with cash-shop the moment TERA won't succeed at launch. Okay, I'm just speculating here, but why else do they team up with a micro-transaction collector in the US and hand the EU license to Frogster..?

Not quite. They have said Tera will probably have a cash shop similar to the other P2P MMOs so it's not really an indication of it going F2P.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by paterah

Not quite. They have said Tera will probably have a cash shop similar to the other P2P MMOs so it's not really an indication of it going F2P.

Ah, big misstake. In that case they should have gone F2P, aiming to be a P2P game with no micro transitions would have made sense since many people actually want that but soon that list will have just Vanguard on it.

This way the game must be a lot better than Guildwars 2 to do fine, otherwise being OK sould have been enough.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by paterah

Ah, big misstake. In that case they should have gone F2P, aiming to be a P2P game with no micro transitions would have made sense since many people actually want that but soon that list will have just Vanguard on it.

This way the game must be a lot better than Guildwars 2 to do fine, otherwise being OK sould have been enough.

I'm pretty sure they said not to add a cash-shop at launch (too lazy to search for the old topic anyway), and that Enmasse kept their options open (they were somewhat unclear about this) to add a cach-chop later on. But in basic, TERA would become P2P and not F2P.

But well, they added the chrono-scrolls already (EPIC FAIL if you ask me), so it would not suprise me if they fo F2P/Freemium within the year...

[EDIT]

...my blog was offline due to servercrashes. not it's back and I found the post (august last year BTW), where I quoted Enmasses's statement about the payment model of TERA

After a press release by Digital River announcing our e-commerce partnership a few players expressed concerns that TERA would be a micro-transaction game in addition to requiring a subscription fee; that is not the case.

TERA is not a micro-transaction or cash-shop item game. The game is built and designed to function as a subscription-based game. We would have to make dramatic changes to the game's design to support micro-transactions and there is no intention of doing so.

TERA will have paid services, which could include character transfer, name change and gender change. We do not have a complete list of these services yet, but we will let you know as we confirm them - those services will likely be available inside the game.

There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles.

To clarify the press release further; Digital River OFFERS many options to En Masse to choose from for TERA and for future products we publish.

We're more than happy to answer questions, and hope that this clarification allays any concerns you might have.

• AlexanderTDAlexanderTD Member Posts: 97

F2P model sux for PVP games. It become all about how much $ you spent to get better items and not windeserve it through your achievements  in the game. While NPCs may not have hard feelings about being one-shoted by 3 day noob who spent 1000$ to buy the stuff - real players do.

• chooychooy Member UncommonPosts: 11

im  going to pay sub for this game even if it would be 20$

i love art style/animation and graphic details overall

i love TERA's combat system 

i hate fact that i have to wait for it so fucking long :/

im not some rich rotten idiot who can afford to throw money away  on every shit that comes out there but TERA is a baby i want to pay and play till my eyes bleed out ;]