Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fresh feeling of GW2

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Guileplayer

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

LOL.  I kid, I kid with you GW2 fanboys.  But in all honesty, they better have seriously stepped up their game from their GW1 development days because in my opinion that was a hot steaming pile of not so goodness.

I know right. 7 million copies sold, they must have done terrible things...

Well, I can personally guarantee that at most 6,999,999 of those purchases were from satisfied customers.  Hype is a helluva drug.  It sucked me in but never again.  I'm gonna make sure I play GW2 for at leat a full 7+ day free trial before they sucker me out of my money again.

Good for you. Guild Wars was never hyped so I'm not sure what you are on about. Anyway, there is no game that can please everyone. Sounds like GW2 won't for you.

Guild wars sold 6 million including the 3 expansions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games  (4 games)

By your logic WoW sold 4x12= 48 million copies? So WoW is a better game than GW? Am i right internet?

If you don't want to believe wikipedia http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2009-04-24.php

Thanks bro, I wasn't asking for that info. Could care less.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Well, I can personally guarantee that at most 6,999,999 of those purchases were from satisfied customers.  Hype is a helluva drug.  It sucked me in but never again.  I'm gonna make sure I play GW2 for at leat a full 7+ day free trial before they sucker me out of my money again.

I understand money plays a big role deciding to follow throughor not. My biggest disappointment  was Champions Online. After that I decided not to embrace any game with  any expectations. Enjoy it for what it is or move on.

At the same time I also didn't bash the game or discourage others not to play.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

LOL.  I kid, I kid with you GW2 fanboys.  But in all honesty, they better have seriously stepped up their game from their GW1 development days because in my opinion that was a hot steaming pile of not so goodness.

Good for you. Guild Wars was never hyped so I'm not sure what you are on about. Anyway, there is no game that can please everyone. Sounds like GW2 won't for you.

Guild wars sold 6 million including the 3 expansions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games  (4 games)

By your logic WoW sold 4x12= 48 million copies? So WoW is a better game than GW? Am i right internet?

If you don't want to believe wikipedia http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2009-04-24.php

You mentioned sales figure first, not me. You just put false information and i had to correct it for the fellow site users. Am i right internet?

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

You mentioned sales figure first, not me. You just put false information and i had to correct it for the fellow site users. Am i right internet?

Are you? Why does it matter to you? Is it your job? Why do you care so much?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I don't think so. Nightfall, Factions and Prophecies are all standalone campaigns and I'm pretty sure they can be counted as individual sales because of that. Expansions like EotN for GW and all of WoW's X-packs are all merely addons.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by romanator0

I don't think so. Nightfall, Factions and Prophecies are all standalone campaigns and I'm pretty sure they can be counted as individual sales because of that. Expansions like EotN for GW and all of WoW's X-packs are all merely addons.

Then the sales figures are lower. The only sales count they have are all 3 expansion put together. 

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If you grew tired of current MMO's and dont like the current mechanics very much chances are big that in the end you will grow tired of this one too sooner or later. People that dont like current MMO combat mechanics might also grow tired of GW2 in a few months. Maybe they just don't like MMO's enough...

Well to start off if anyone thinks they are going to be playing GW2 for the next 30 years and not get bored of it you are insane! If you think you are going to get some fun out of it until you get bored then that is more logical, how much time that is depends on the person. Some people might get a year some might get five or six years out of it. But no way can say how much any other person is going to get out of game without talking out their behind!

With that said I have to question the part I quoted. I do not like most current MMOs because it is all gear based and when it comes to PVP the side that wins 90% of the time is the side with the most healers actually healing. Now GW2 does not have a gear grind, and does not have healers to dictate the outcome of PVP battles. So who are you again to tell me the things I like about gaming I am going to get bored of in a few months. Because I have like games without those two mechanics for over a decade, but apparently to your logic within months I am going to find that I do not like them. I thank you for your opinion but you can keep it, I will play GW2 till I decide I am burnt out and then will move onto another MMO that interest me or single player games.  

But I can guarantee you one thing I will not be sitting in forums complaining that they removed those two features from a MMO. In fact I know there is a chance I might not even like GW2 but the fact that their combat will feel like other MMOs is not even on my list of concerns. Because GW2 combat is not like current generation MMO combat and I am happy it is not. I honestly cannot stand the power healers have in PVP, there freaking spam healing BS can die a horrible death for all I care!  

Actually it is 6.5 million so you are both off by half a million. Although it is funny to spend the time to correct someone and you do not even type the right number in your message.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Slowdoves

I understand money plays a big role deciding to follow throughor not. My biggest disappointment  was Champions Online. After that I decided not to embrace any game with  any expectations. Enjoy it for what it is or move on.

I don't see where I am telling anybody else not to play.  And in fact I plan on trying it, assuming there is a free trial.  If no free trial at launch, I will wait for one.

I'm just relating my vast diasappointment with GW1, and basically how it single-handledly squashed the hope that I had for GW2.  In my experience it is rare when a developer can release a steaming pile of goo on their first try, but then follow it up with a shiney pile of gold.  My guess it will be somewhere in between and I'm not interested in another mediocre MMO.

But I will give it a try, like I said.  I love being wrong when it works in my favor and I have a hankering for a new MMO to sink my teeth into...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by romanator0

GW2 will lose that new, fresh feeling after a while. That's a given, that happens with literally everything.

But after months of playing GW2 and that feeling goes away it won't feel like playing a traditional MMO.

Want to know why? Its because GW2 isn't a traditional MMO. GW2 can't feel like what it isn't.

Please explain how it is not a traditional mmorpg?

Vague statement used there.It still has spells /abilites and you still go out and kill stuff.They still are going to use map markers to tell you exactly where to go.The difference is the world "might " seem quite barren as they have chosen to remove content and have you trigger it back in.

I feel they have taken the traditional class system a step backwards,but that is my opinion.I favour players playing a ROLE ,well because it is a role playing game..go figure.So you play the role as a tank or a magician or a healer ect ect.This game the players really have no actual role.This design is and already has been done anyhow.

The game still using cutscenes but instead of nice 3d animated ones,they are leaning more towards 2d looking scenes or they like to call it artwork.This is nothing new,every game uses artwork in the predefined stage of the game design,they are just cutting out the 3d animated part.

Crafting,havn't really heard anything much on that,anything new here?It was this game or SWTOR that had a very basic system of entering a few items into boxes then it auto crafts,if was this game ,nothing new.Discovery was a term used,but really again nothing new,other games have that and de synthesis buit again not sure if was this game or SWTOR.

Underwater fighting ,already done and imo better in EQ2.

So i am stuck trying to think of what GW2 is doing exactly that is any different?Well they are using a lame strat to get people to buy GW1 to get some rewards in GW2.I don't think that is worthy of praise.

IMO a non traditional design was FFXI,no other game followed it's design.Quests related to rank not xp rewards.Forced grouping to do not only the isntance content but ALL content,no other games have that.

This design of allowing everyone to take on a boss?Not new by any stretch,ever play SRO?Everyone can take pot shots at the boss,you can even get the rewards if you get the killing blow.Rift also made a design where you auto group once entering a rift fight.IMo it is not true grouping,not organized either just an auto function.

Scaling is again already done,EQ2 did it way back in the Splitpaw xpac.The difference here is the mob or i guess boss will scale to the entire auto group.I cannot seee this working out properly with any realism,how can you have a boss that gives a high level a struggle yet the noob low level is getting credit for fighting it?To me this design is VERY weak it is nothing more than allowing a noob to group with high level players and get rewards for doing it.

There could very well be something that sets this game apart,i have yet to see it ,so please explain and how thjat idea works that makes it different?

I was gonna give a BIG POST with every justified reason to argue every sentence you said about GW2, and then I read this: 

"IMO a non traditional design was FFXI,no other game followed it's design.Quests related to rank not xp rewards.Forced grouping to do not only the isntance content but ALL content,no other games have that."

Then I deleted everything and gave up trying.

Edit: Think about it a bit and wonder why no other game followed it's design. Forced grouping to all content in an MMO? I haven't tried the game, but I wonder how that work out? Yes, this is sarcasm and I'm still trying.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

I was gonna give a BIG POST with every justified reason to argue every sentence you said about GW2, and then I read this: 

"IMO a non traditional design was FFXI,no other game followed it's design.Quests related to rank not xp rewards.Forced grouping to do not only the isntance content but ALL content,no other games have that."

Then I deleted everything and gave up trying.

Edit: Think about it a bit and wonder why no other game followed it's design. Forced grouping to all content in an MMO? I haven't tried the game, but I wonder how that work out? Yes, this is sarcasm and I'm still trying.

Haha!

That was my exact reaction as well. I was hovering over the quote button, itching to get to work, but the idea of actually spending effort replying to the FFXI bit just killed all motivation.

If most of the post didn't sound so serious, I'd probably tag it as sarcasm. :D

Sarcasm is not a crime!

I don't see where I am telling anybody else not to play.  And in fact I plan on trying it, assuming there is a free trial.  If no free trial at launch, I will wait for one.

I'm just relating my vast diasappointment with GW1, and basically how it single-handledly squashed the hope that I had for GW2.  In my experience it is rare when a developer can release a steaming pile of goo on their first try, but then follow it up with a shiney pile of gold.  My guess it will be somewhere in between and I'm not interested in another mediocre MMO.

But I will give it a try, like I said.  I love being wrong when it works in my favor and I have a hankering for a new MMO to sink my teeth into...

The last part I threw in, it wasn't directed towards you. It seems that some folks negative experiance is followed up with "Stay clear from the game" or "Why do people even play this."

CO is actaully free to play now, limited Archetype skills unless you subscribe. Maybe you'll findt some enjoyment with the limitations I don't know. Good luck though.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

With all the awesome new things coming to GW2, it might feel very fresh at release, and capture new and old players straight away... Most people will be thrilled. Oh how much we love this new awesome MMO that changed the genre forever.

But do you people all realise that despite all the nice new features GW2 will feel just like a traditional MMO after a few months of playing it?  Once you can look passed the new mechanismes, there is just another MMO beneath that blanket. I hope you like MMMO's enough to survive this .....

If you grew tired of current MMO's and dont like the current mechanics very much chances are big that in the end you will grow tired of this one too sooner or later. People that dont like current MMO combat mechanics might also grow tired of GW2 in a few months. Maybe they just don't like MMO's enough...

I think by the time people realise this, they will start trashing this game like they do now with all other current MMO's and a few popular future ones. Saying that the game was far less revolutionary as promissed. But the only ones that promissed themselves a revolution is their own kind of people. People that just dont like the MMO genre enough....

Wow, this is utter bull.....  Do you realize that GW2 is not like the other games, and isn't just the same thing covered in new shinies?...  No you don't, I cannot believe you have read and posted on all things GW2 and still spouted this nonsense.  GW2 has targeted all those dreadful things in current MMO's, and blasted them away, likening the experience to a Single player RPG with as many friends as you want!  The only argument you can employ to GW2 is that if you are tired of games in general, or RPG's in general then you will get tired of this too...  I'm out.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I am going to treat GW2 like I did GW1, just something to pass some time.  I think the gameplay changes will be interesting.  I think that the dynamic events are a hook; something for them to talk about why the game is special (probably because explaining the gameplay changes from the traditional mmo is too confusing for most people to understand in an advertisement or trailer).

Dynamic events are a bit of a joke IMO; someday we will have virtual worlds that are completely dynamic in all ways and you can modify them the same ways you can effect the real world.  We will look back at features like dynamic events, tacked onto a themepark mmo, and laugh about it.

The reason I thought GW1 was worth my time was not why I love MMOs, it was not the community or the immersion, it was simply:

• simple yet ridiculously complex gameplay via the 8-skill slot system

• no level or gear grinding

• pretty, interesting world and primary storyline

• decent class combinations (way better than most traditional mmos, but still crummy compared to a classless system)

• game was built for team PvP, adapted for PvE (not the other way around)

This is utterly retarded..  Of course dynamic events are a joke when compared to what we will have in the future!  But when compared to that moot point what isn't?  In fact, if you want to use that point, then the current mmo's before GW2 are by far even worse and more of a joke, and GW2 is just a stepping stone to that future.. 

I am by no means a fanboy, but come on people look at the facts.  GW2 has stripped what composes current mmo's.  They aren't making a typical MMO!  They are trying to make an MMO with a true RPG element, and are trying to make a world that is truly living without going the sandbox route.  Of course there is some repetition, but it is miles ahead of what we are used to.

1. You don't have to quest at all!  But if you want to it is in the way true quests would have liked to been, but instead were limited by technology.  People, it is 2011 we have much better technology now, it is time to move on.  Thus we get dynamic events that are constantly changing within their finite amount, and there is no quest text, and yet there is still a story to be told, and not only that they aren't all just the same old kill cycles like in Rift!

2.  You have your own personal story that changes upon biography and race!

3.  There are dungeons that have extra branches that are completely different, and not only that they are changed at times with random inner dynamic events.  These aren't your typical dungeons!

4.  Not only that, there is no traditional trinity.  There is a new trinity, and it is more convenient, more balanced, and from what I've experience much more fun!  This can also combat with dungeons and pvp, changing both experiences.

5.  You don't have to touch anything I just listed above!  You can either just create a toon, and do structured PvP at max level and never touch anything else.  Or you could go to WvWvW and never leave it!

6.  It will probably be the most balanced MMO in PvP ever!  The game has few templates, with fewer skills, with no rock, paper, scissors foundation that is formed by the holy trinity, and with this comes more variety because of more viability through more balance!

Damnit I could go on and on and on!  I am not a fanboy, I just look at the facts, I read the reviews, and got damnit I have even played the game!  This thread, and these posts have gotten the better of me, but oh well at least my post might shed some light.  This MMO is doing so much to drive the genre forward, that even if it fails these features are at least the right direction. 

In further review of your post, I don't care how you treat it.  But for all of those like you, GW2 will not be like GW1 in regards to the amount of time you can spend in it.  The longevity will span longer than current MMO's without a treadmill of illusionary content!  You will actually log into the game for fun, for the same reason I get on Elder Scrolls and play. 

You will always be able to go and experience new things, because content is scaling in both directions, because PvP will be competitive and forever evolving, and World PvP will be a newer version of DAoC invoking all that RTS love that some might have, while also appealing to those who just love open world PvP.  Not only that, they have already mentioned that when the game goes live, they will soon be patching in new events, and there will also be new dungeons coming in as the game goes on. 

How is this game just a game that you pick up for a little bit of time?  There is no valid argument for it, the only argument that you could make is that they aren't going to put in timesinks to create a false sense of content. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

With all the awesome new things coming to GW2, it might feel very fresh at release, and capture new and old players straight away... Most people will be thrilled. Oh how much we love this new awesome MMO that changed the genre forever.

But do you people all realise that despite all the nice new features GW2 will feel just like a traditional MMO after a few months of playing it?  Once you can look passed the new mechanismes, there is just another MMO beneath that blanket. I hope you like MMMO's enough to survive this .....

I think by the time people realise this, they will start trashing this game like they do now with all other current MMO's and a few popular future ones. Saying that the game was far less revolutionary as promissed. But the only ones that promissed themselves a revolution is their own kind of people. People that just dont like the MMO genre enough....

Wow, this is utter bull.....  Do you realize that GW2 is not like the other games, and isn't just the same thing covered in new shinies?...  No you don't, I cannot believe you have read and posted on all things GW2 and still spouted this nonsense.  GW2 has targeted all those dreadful things in current MMO's, and blasted them away, likening the experience to a Single player RPG with as many friends as you want!  The only argument you can employ to GW2 is that if you are tired of games in general, or RPG's in general then you will get tired of this too...  I'm out.

The blind shall remind blind because they choose so themselves...

I never said GW2 will be boring.... i only said that after a certain time the game would feel like just any other Class A MMORPG.   GW2 is no different then any other game up to date in that it is just a game and nothing more then a game....

I played 3 years of EQ, DAOC and WoW....  Me quiting after 3 years had nothing to do with those being bad games.... it was a complement to those 3 games that they kept me occupied for so long...  If GW2 makes 3 years it will certainly be another highlight  in my MMO carreer.

GW2 will appeal to much more gamers then the current MMO crowd for sure...  And thats what the reallyt great games do they find new players and add them to the MMO crowd.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• folen1folen1 Member Posts: 7

2 things:

1)every game will get old after a while.(that's why every(most ??) MMO have expansions and content patches, the most brilliant idea will become old and dull given enough time

2)GW2 will have no subscription fee, so you can leave and get back whenever you like.

i still log into GW1 from time time when am boared from my current MMO or feel like i would like a change(server downtime,patch day problems, etc ..)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by AvsRock21

Uh, you serious?  Everyone on this site is an mmo FAN.  We like to play mmos, we like the mechanics.  We just want something different.  A new way to play our favorite type of game, the mmo.  Guild Wars 2 has more than enough innovation.  It's still an mmorpg ( which we want ), but with creative and new mechanics that will give us new experiences.  

Basically every big AAA mmo out since WoW was released, has copied many of the mechanics WoW used.  Note that many of these games were still very good.  People like this style.  They all had the same questing mechanics, same combat, same roles / classes.  And none of them except WAR and Aion, had any good RvR pvp.  In GW2 all of this is different.  Questing is completely different, combat is different ( but not TOO different ), there is WvW pvp, and you can start it from the beginning.  No more roles.  The list goes on....

Questing will not be different, just better than what WHO and CO did. Again an idea from another MMO being done better.

Actually, it's so different that during early testing, people had no idea that the events happening around them were actually content MADE for them.  They just skipped past it because no questgiver told them they should be doing anything about it.  That's the whole reason they implemented a scout system -- so that people would have some kind of familiar link to more tradtional quest systems. 

Events seem second nature to us because we've been reading about it for months and years.  Not everyone who will be playing will have that level of familiarity.  And recall, when the dynamic event system was announced, there were tons of threads wondering how the hell it worked.  The questioning went on for months and still pops up now and then when a GW2 virgin first starts looking at the game.

It is different.

Originally posted by Fozzik

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Good luck... I read the first of the GW2 books, it was absolutely horrible.  Weak writing, weak story.   Very dissapointing.

You were expecting Tolstoy? It's a book about a video game.

I thought it was a pretty cool way to bring the uninitiated into the lore of the world. No question it's light reading - but I found it fun and was glad to learn about the world through a novel rather than having to read 327893284 pages of writeups on some web forum to get the history. I guess it's all about expectations...I went in to reading the GW2 novels the same way I go in to see a Jason Statham movie. I enjoy them for what they are. :-D

With that said...The second wasn't as good as the first. Which means yeah, the second was bordering on bad. I have high hopes for the third book, now that we know who's writing it.

The third book is being written by Ree Soesbee so I have high hopes.  The first two were pretty amateurish and I only found value in the background they provided.  I kind of considered them volumes one and two of Encyclopaedia Tyria.

Originally posted by Happyguy83

Originally posted by jvxmtg

I predict the only people who will leave GW2 and will trash it are the ones who likes the traditional style, which is contrary to what you are saying.

I disagree, I predict it will go the same route as the first one (Maybe a little less). High box sales low retention rate, I think people will play it for X months get bored with it and go bad to what ever else they were playing.

I'm glad you used "X" months instead of "N" months, because if you understand math naming conventions N implies integers as in 1 or more months.  For me it was more like X months as in 0.5 months.

GW1 was a dreadful and quite amateurish attempt at a solo / small group lobby game.  People who actually expect a major leap forward from the same developer who basically invented the invisible wall needs to have a serious reality check.  ArenaNet couldn't even manage to implement a way for your character to jump, and my guess is the 8 slot limitation on abilities had something to do with still programming using an 8 bit development tookit.

I disagree with your opinion on GW and direct your attention to any number of gameplay videos to illustrate how much the sequel has evolved from its prequel. 

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Familiarity breeds contempt.

This is a truth in many things and games are not immune. I think this new crop of games has taken the the term 'innovate' to heart and we should expect good things from them.

Then again... It could all be dren.

No one knows at this point.

The facts are that these games will launch, garner large subscription numbers , and experience attrition to varying degrees when newer games launch.

To me, the difference in that attrition number comes about solely from how the game portrayed itself before launch.

Under-sell and Over-deliver.

WoW advertised innovations but  players uncovered so much more 'under the hood' once the game got underway.

That is the type of pleasant surprise that players look for and so many games miss out on.

They show the whole package just to get subs while leaving little for the player to experience or uncover for themselves once in game.

If I had one wish for all these incoming games... It would be that their companies have crafted a game that is more than just the sum of the parts we've seen advertised to date.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Akais

Under-sell and Over-deliver.

WoW advertised innovations but  players uncovered so much more 'under the hood' once the game got underway.

That is the type of pleasant surprise that players look for and so many games miss out on.

They show the whole package just to get subs while leaving little for the player to experience or uncover for themselves once in game.

If I had one wish for all these incoming games... It would be that their companies have crafted a game that is more than just the sum of the parts we've seen advertised to date.

Very good point. I don't think GW2 will dissapoint. The demo is very fun, and for all the info they've been giving us, there's still a lot of stuff to discover.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The "New Game Shiny" only lasts for a few months.

But the OP isn't revealing any stunningly fresh revelations either.  It's in the post-shiny phase where the difference between AAA's and cheap knockoffs becomes the most apparent.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Unlight

Uh, you serious?  Everyone on this site is an mmo FAN.  We like to play mmos, we like the mechanics.  We just want something different.  A new way to play our favorite type of game, the mmo.  Guild Wars 2 has more than enough innovation.  It's still an mmorpg ( which we want ), but with creative and new mechanics that will give us new experiences.  

Basically every big AAA mmo out since WoW was released, has copied many of the mechanics WoW used.  Note that many of these games were still very good.  People like this style.  They all had the same questing mechanics, same combat, same roles / classes.  And none of them except WAR and Aion, had any good RvR pvp.  In GW2 all of this is different.  Questing is completely different, combat is different ( but not TOO different ), there is WvW pvp, and you can start it from the beginning.  No more roles.  The list goes on....

Questing will not be different, just better than what WHO and CO did. Again an idea from another MMO being done better.

Actually, it's so different that during early testing, people had no idea that the events happening around them were actually content MADE for them.  They just skipped past it because no questgiver told them they should be doing anything about it.  That's the whole reason they implemented a scout system -- so that people would have some kind of familiar link to more tradtional quest systems. 

Events seem second nature to us because we've been reading about it for months and years.  Not everyone who will be playing will have that level of familiarity.  And recall, when the dynamic event system was announced, there were tons of threads wondering how the hell it worked.  The questioning went on for months and still pops up now and then when a GW2 virgin first starts looking at the game.

It is different.

It will only be different for people who have never played Warhammer Online, Champions Online, Everquest 2. It's the non-traditional.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

It is different.

It will only be different for people who have never played Warhammer Online, Champions Online, Everquest 2. It's the non-traditional.

I've played all those games. Even though there are similarities it still FEELS different.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

It is different.

I've seen you post this line several times.  I'm not going to get into the general discussion of whether something is truly original.  Everything is influenced to some degree by what came before, even if it's to want to do something completely different from it.  You've said over and over that they're the same thing, just done better.

You can't even only talk about dynamic events when discussing GW2.  And they're simply not just public quests.  GW2 doesn't just get rid of quests and put 50 public quests in a zone instead and call it a day.  It's a whole integrated system designed to build community.  Doing away with traditional quests makes it so you're not just doing these things and then scattering to do something else.  They're not on timers, and so they happen organically.  They chain together to not only show cause and effect, but also to build community by having players stay working together longer.  They're fully cooperative so it's not a spawn competition.  They scale up and down with number of players so they're always challenging.  Players can use cross profession combos and anyone can rez anybody else, allowing people to work together even when ungrouped.  Players get full xp and loot for helping kill mobs so you want to see other people.  The entire PVE world is designed to be ungriefable.  Players automatically mentor down in power or you can sidekick people up so you can always play with your friends. 

I'm probably even forgetting some things, but hopefully you can see the point, which is that DEs are not just PQs, it is really a revolutionary system designed to get people playing together.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

Originally posted by cali59

It is different.

I've seen you post this line several times.  I'm not going to get into the general discussion of whether something is truly original.  Everything is influenced to some degree by what came before, even if it's to want to do something completely different from it.  You've said over and over that they're the same thing, just done better.

You can't even only talk about dynamic events when discussing GW2.  And they're simply not just public quests.  GW2 doesn't just get rid of quests and put 50 public quests in a zone instead and call it a day.  It's a whole integrated system designed to build community.  Doing away with traditional quests makes it so you're not just doing these things and then scattering to do something else.  They're not on timers, and so they happen organically.  They chain together to not only show cause and effect, but also to build community by having players stay working together longer.  They're fully cooperative so it's not a spawn competition.  They scale up and down with number of players so they're always challenging.  Players can use cross profession combos and anyone can rez anybody else, allowing people to work together even when ungrouped.  Players get full xp and loot for helping kill mobs so you want to see other people.  The entire PVE world is designed to be ungriefable.  Players automatically mentor down in power or you can sidekick people up so you can always play with your friends. 

I'm probably even forgetting some things, but hopefully you can see the point, which is that DEs are not just PQs, it is really a revolutionary system designed to get people playing together.

You can call it whatever you want, it's same concept.

I am sure the developers for WHO and CO were thinking the exact same thing, but it was broken. I don't know about EQ2's DoV, maybe some else may shed some light on that one.