Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which class to play for me who's not good with "twitch skills"?

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I have just resubbed, and I want to play on the new Blood & Gore server. I really like the Barbarian; stealth + 2 handed weapons ftw! Problem is that I havent played any "twitch" games for a decade, so my "twitch" skills are completely gone.

What class could be for me? Could I dare go for the Barbarian even with the fact that I am having no twitch skills?

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

You should be fine with a Barbarian. Even though the combat is different in this game I don't think it requires all that much reaction skills as an FPS or even a game like Vindictus does.

You can always play a caster as well. Casters in AoC play pretty much like a standard mmo caster.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I would like to be "competetive"; as in able to give up a good effort with a Barbarian. I simply love the fatalities and as I said earlier; stealth + 2 handed weapons!

There are some posts in official forum where people are talking tactics and such, like hitting the shift button in the right moment to avoid damage from other melee enemies or to increase the hit chance. This is a feature of the game I accept, but I fear I will struggle to learn.

Age of Conan, is like many other games, a game that starts at end level; I will join it for the end level PvP. Would be a blow for me dumping lots of time in a Barbarian just to find out I am unable to get the finger skills needed for it.

How should I approach this you think? I am "noob" to the game, even though I played it at it's release, but left it when my Herald of Xotli was around level 30. Since the Blood & Gore server only allows us to hold 1 character, I feel I should "have it right" from the start.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You might want to consider playing a POM or TOS instead, no twitch mechanics for them.

Ranger is a good in between and might be perfect to get into the game again, they still have the combo system but a lessen version of it. Assasin might also be a good choice.

Barbarian is a fun class but if you want to be competetive you might want to make your second char barb instead of your first, you get into it after a while. 

Good luck. :)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Loke666

You might want to consider playing a POM or TOS instead, no twitch mechanics for them.

Ranger is a good in between and might be perfect to get into the game again, they still have the combo system but a lessen version of it. Assasin might also be a good choice.

Barbarian is a fun class but if you want to be competetive you might want to make your second char barb instead of your first, you get into it after a while. 

Good luck. :)

I disagree about the Assassin. A Barbarian would be a much better choice for a new player. A sin has the least amount of survivability of all the classes (but has the highest damage output), and for a new player that could be incredibly frustrating.

Thanks for the input!

Which of the casters have the highest survivability? I hear the Bear Shaman has some great survivability, but the Bear Shaman relies on melee, even for the heals? If the Bear Shaman could play a "support" role in Battlegrounds, I would be interested in it. I mean; if I could stay behind the front line, acting as a healer, doing that job efficiently, it might be a good choice? But since I do not know the Bear Shaman's skills, I need to dig up some more info on it. Anyone who have some info on that?

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by chrisel

Thanks for the input!

Which of the casters have the highest survivability? I hear the Bear Shaman has some great survivability, but the Bear Shaman relies on melee, even for the heals? If the Bear Shaman could play a "support" role in Battlegrounds, I would be interested in it. I mean; if I could stay behind the front line, acting as a healer, doing that job efficiently, it might be a good choice? But since I do not know the Bear Shaman's skills, I need to dig up some more info on it. Anyone who have some info on that?

Unless they have drastically revamped them, Bear Shamans are the most micro intensive class in the game. PoM or ToS would probably be best if you wanted a straight forward support class. Necro or Demo if you want to play a traditional ranged DPS.

Originally posted by Lyulfe

Unless they have drastically revamped them, Bear Shamans are the most micro intensive class in the game. PoM or ToS would probably be best if you wanted a straight forward support class. Necro or Demo if you want to play a traditional ranged DPS.

So no healing from behind the front line on Bear Shamans? It's either IN the fight or nothing? I don't mind micro-managing the toons, in fact, I love that part. I can fiddle with talents, and setups for days (got that into the blood back when I played Anarchy Online). It becomes worse if I need twitch skills to be able to heal my group with the Bear Shaman.

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

So no healing from behind the front line on Bear Shamans? It's either IN the fight or nothing? I don't mind micro-managing the toons, in fact, I love that part. I can fiddle with talents, and setups for days (got that into the blood back when I played Anarchy Online). It becomes worse if I need twitch skills to be able to heal my group with the Bear Shaman.

I should have worded that better, the Bear Shaman requires you to use a very large number of abilities to excel and many of them need to be triggered at key moments in the fight to be of use. So the actual fighting with them can be quite micro intensive.

The healing system used by all classes in AoC doesn't really lend it self to behind the lines healing. All the heals are close proximity PBAOEs or cone templates, with the exception of each classes big cooldown heal. The bear shaman is definitely the most front line of the healers as some of his healing casts in response to him landing a melee hit.

Thanks for "clarifying" it :)

Hmm... not getting any further in the way of choosing a class. I have tried to google some class guides, but almost all are outdated in the form that they are many years old.

Anyone who can provide me some links to some good class guildes that are somewhat up to date?

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I should have worded that better, the Bear Shaman requires you to use a very large number of abilities to excel and many of them need to be triggered at key moments in the fight to be of use. So the actual fighting with them can be quite micro intensive.

The healing system used by all classes in AoC doesn't really lend it self to behind the lines healing. All the heals are close proximity PBAOEs or cone templates, with the exception of each classes big cooldown heal. The bear shaman is definitely the most front line of the healers as some of his healing casts in response to him landing a melee hit.

Bear shaman are crazy micromanagement to play and you must use a ton of spells to be competetive.  Also the tricks to doing DPS on BS's isnt exactly obvious.  Bottom line any class that requires the use of combo's is going to be somewhat twitched based as people move around you to try to avoid your attacks in pvp.  ToS, PoM, Demo or Necro are probably your best bet as they have no combos.  If you do want to play a melee class then barbarians and guardians are probably the most forgiving classes to play especially guardians because their polearm has rediculously good range.

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

Bear shaman are crazy micromanagement to play and you must use a ton of spells to be competetive.  Also the tricks to doing DPS on BS's isnt exactly obvious.  Bottom line any class that requires the use of combo's is going to be somewhat twitched based as people move around you to try to avoid your attacks in pvp.  ToS, PoM, Demo or Necro are probably your best bet as they have no combos.  If you do want to play a melee class then barbarians and guardians are probably the most forgiving classes to play especially guardians because their polearm has rediculously good range.

Thanks.

I read abit about the length on weapons, and the fact it is easier with 2 Handed weapons than for an example daggers on an assassin. I am trying out Tempest oft Set atm, and it seems pretty good. I have also read some about the class in the official forum; it offers alot more dps in raids, and almost same healing powers. I have failed to find "much" info about ToS in PvP though; are they weaker or stronger than PoM? Is the ToS avrg in PvP or above/lower than the rest?

• ltdingleltdingle Member Posts: 16

I would suggest maybe going on  one of the others servers and trying PvP out for a bit. In Tortage(level 20 and lower) you can PvP on White Sands or whatever its called. It might be worthwhile to just try a caster and a melee combo to see how you like it.

As for melee goes Barbarian is a very good choice. Great damage output from what I remember when I played. I don't know if it is still the case but back in the day the Barbarians had to be able to switch between 2-handers and dual-wielding so that they could land CC and do massive DPS respectively. 

Of course I haven't played the game in a long time, so things could've changed. Best of luck to you.

Waiting for: GW2

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I have just resubbed, and I want to play on the new Blood & Gore server. I really like the Barbarian; stealth + 2 handed weapons ftw! Problem is that I havent played any "twitch" games for a decade, so my "twitch" skills are completely gone.

What class could be for me? Could I dare go for the Barbarian even with the fact that I am having no twitch skills?

Twitch?AoC seems more like twister or a fighting game that you have to hit timed key sequences to pull off combos to me at least the melee classes anyways.So if that is what you think twitch is then maybe go for a caster because with them you only have to target and click 1 hotkey per skill not 2-4 after the intial skill hotkey press. 

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

Thanks.

I read abit about the length on weapons, and the fact it is easier with 2 Handed weapons than for an example daggers on an assassin. I am trying out Tempest oft Set atm, and it seems pretty good. I have also read some about the class in the official forum; it offers alot more dps in raids, and almost same healing powers. I have failed to find "much" info about ToS in PvP though; are they weaker or stronger than PoM? Is the ToS avrg in PvP or above/lower than the rest?

To be honest i dont have all that much experience with the preist archtype.  I have a 80 Bear Shaman thats how I knew about it.  From my experience playing the game and seeing guildies/others play ToS is a very desired class.  Healers always are!  ToS's also hit pretty dang hard for being a healing class though keep in mind they wont hit as hard as say a Demonologist or an Assassin who's primary job is to do damage.  All in all Tos is probably the best priest class to play.