Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic preview from PC Gamer

Comments

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Personally I would rather hear about the impressions of the talent trees for each spec, hear about the ratio of pvp rewards from open world pvp verse battlegrounds, and hear more on how useful crafting is at end game then the reviews from people who only get to see the game from lvl 1-10 for the most part.

The 1-10 whatever you want to call it reviews are too similar to age of conan and that game prior to release for my liking and this plus not seeing more end game videos is why I will not likely pre order this game.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by shadow417

I loved the read. i also played it on gamescom and i can't even agree more.

Originally posted by just1opinion

For all the talk about haters in this thread, I sure don't SEE any hater posts, so what are you all going on about?  Just enjoy the info from a good preview and be happy, ffs.

+1

I had fun in the Beta as well. The preview from PC Gamer is well done. Dec 20th needs to get here faster, lol. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Thanks for posting. Another example of how most who actually play the game enjoy it.

There Is Always Hope!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

6 hours is nothing. After a week of playing, i've had the "SW nostalgia" start to fade. Once you complete the story aspects of the game, not that i have obvioulsy, i fear that people will get bored rather quickly.

The character creator needs work and i'm continuosly amazed how devs can't get this right. Anything short of the Aion character creator is a step backwards.

PVP is going to be a mess with ranged reigning supreme unless they pull off some miracle before launch.

I'm obvioulsy a huge SW fan but i have some serious concerns as we move towards 12/20.

There are many things i really do like about the game. The art style has grown on me and the absolute grandness and scale of the maps blows me away. Now if they could get the content and combat to match, we'd have a winner. Just my opinion.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Alders

6 hours is nothing. After a week of playing, i've had the "SW nostalgia" start to fade. Once you complete the story aspects of the game, not that i have obvioulsy, i fear that people will get bored rather quickly.

The character creator needs work and i'm continuosly amazed how devs can't get this right. Anything short of the Aion character creator is a step backwards.

PVP is going to be a mess with ranged reigning supreme unless they pull off some miracle before launch.

I'm obvioulsy a huge SW fan but i have some serious concerns as we move towards 12/20.

There are many things i really do like about the game. The art style has grown on me and the absolute grandness and scale of the maps blows me away. Now if they could get the content and combat to match, we'd have a winner. Just my opinion.

Funny how 2 people can have such different opinions. Oh well makes the world interesting I guess.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by Alders

Funny how 2 people can have such different opinions. Oh well makes the world interesting I guess.

Absolutely! Would be such a dull world otherwise.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

6/10 sounds about right for a wow clone.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by wormywyrm

After reading that preview in full I can honestly say that I have NO IDEA why anyone is interested in this mmo aside from the fact that it is starwars and has killer graphics.

Okay, we get it.  You don't like the game.  You've made that abundantly clear by spending the day delivering drive-by pot shots at the game.  But here is the thing:  Millions of people WILL be interested in this MMO.  Not thousands...MILLIONS.  So I guess you are either going to have to live with it, or find a game that you like.    

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by moosecatlol

While that might be true, giving scores on a unreleased game is unfair and rather pointless.

Do you base it on any experience with the game or are you just trolling out a score?

I will give it a score myself, but not until I tried it.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

"The only weirdness: seeing my fellow smuggler wander around with the same companion."

Somehow I knew they wouldn't find a way around this. I'd rather not be running around with the same companion half the playerbase has. Either give me a character creator to make my own companion, make it optional (like you get bonuses to your guy for not having the companion out, or just use the companion for the extra damage and stuff, up to you), or don't bother, imo.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Your own rating I assume? Cause there's no rating in the article...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

So a review after 6 hours of playtime and NOTHING new. I don't get it why didn't the guy ask for hard facts? Not saying this is a bad or good review its just "read that more often than not".

So his USPs are:

- Pets "companions"  ->known before

- companions selling your "junk" -> sorry but thats just a singleplayer mechanic

- take on 3+ mobs ->known before

- smuggler is going to have a story? really -> known before

- no death penalty -> talk about easymode

Why doesn't he focus on things that no one has talked about yet?

- UI: can the target and player frame be moved?

- UI: how many hotbars can you have? Most I've seen was 2...

- UI: can you disable achievements?

- SCREENSHOTS (ingame) not pre rendered ones

- world size most videos have shown planets sliced into small pieces

- custom stats for you/companions?

Sure TOR isn't the only game were writters just aren't using enough hard facts instead of their personal opinion, which is the #1 reason why print magazines have almost fallen apart (thanks to paid reviews and hype instead of hard facts).

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152

I have played this game so much in the past 2 days my eyes are bleeding..

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by Satarious

Awesome read!  The haters are becoming more and more marginalized as we get closer to launch.  ;)

not really. haters will hate even harder closer to launch.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

It would be really funny if this game turns out to be very successful, And review sites give this game 9s lol. Watch this happen after all the hate this game got lol. 

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

This is the same magazine that heralded Dragon Age 2 as the RPG of the Decade.

Yeah, forgive me for ordering 1000 tonnes of salt. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by empyros

DA 2 is bad in YOUR OPINION. Going by majority it has higher ratings than a lot of games. 

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0

It has 7.7 (after 47 critic reviews), and 7.9 (after 1,966 user reviews)

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/080/080342.html

It has 8.5 from the site (and 7.8 critic review), and has 7.9 (after 1055 user reviews)

Hmm...Take your word or thousands of other people who liked the game?

Lol word of advice friend just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a bad game. Just out of curiosity do you play any MMO? name them please.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

So I was a little bored and looked up that quote. It actually reads:

"The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes."

Way to take something out of context, my friend.

Also it's another reviewer as far as that matters.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Satarious

Awesome read!  The haters are becoming more and more marginalized as we get closer to launch.  ;)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a lot of people say that levels 1-12... 1-15... are well done... it's just after about level 17 or so that it starts to become a lot more generic grindy grind and a lot less Star Wars story time.... I'm guessing.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

That's it I'm going to freeze myself in carbonite and have my family thaw me come December the 15th!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Guileplayer

DA 2 is bad in YOUR OPINION. Going by majority it has higher ratings than a lot of games. 

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0

It has 7.7 (after 47 critic reviews), and 7.9 (after 1,966 user reviews)

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/080/080342.html

It has 8.5 from the site (and 7.8 critic review), and has 7.9 (after 1055 user reviews)

Hmm...Take your word or thousands of other people who liked the game?

Lol word of advice friend just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a bad game. Just out of curiosity do you play any MMO? name them please.

The gist of complaints about DA2... and there are plenty if you even just go to Bioware's forums... are that it fails to live up to the quality of DA:O - ME1 and ME2. 

It isn't that it is just different... play all those 3 games and they each have different play styles... it's that DA2 felt cheap... rushed... thrown out there to make a quick buck.  Not that it's the worst game ever... it's OK - but disappointing to a larger number of Bioware fans than any of the previous games.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

The decade? DAII came out in March 11, 2011. Don't you think that the reviewer was saying it was the best game of the decade so far considering that only 3 monrths had passed since the decade started?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Bioware has released some products before that could have been better.

Neverwinter Nights 1 original was just god-awful in terms of content. It was never redeemed until the expansions / users generated contents kicked in.

The 2nd expansion made NWN1 into one of the best RPG I've played though.

I'm not really getting the DA2 hate.Yeah, some environments was recycled but other than that, the combat system was good.

The story was good, (until the end section). The chars was a lot more 'flawed' than DA1 chars etc.

The execution needed some work but the overall aim was pretty different from DA1 and it largely succeeded IMO. vOv.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Gajari

"The only weirdness: seeing my fellow smuggler wander around with the same companion."

Somehow I knew they wouldn't find a way around this. I'd rather not be running around with the same companion half the playerbase has. Either give me a character creator to make my own companion, make it optional (like you get bonuses to your guy for not having the companion out, or just use the companion for the extra damage and stuff, up to you), or don't bother, imo.

In the developer video on companions it says that companions can be customized, even the color or their skin can be changed along with much else.  That may either have not been implemented in the demo we're talking about yet, OR.......the player didn't know how to DO it.  But it will be doable.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club