Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMFG I am always DIEYING in those thrice &%$§@*# skirmishes!

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

WHAT THE BLODDY HECK!

I am playing my LOTRO Guardian for... well since launch! Granted I was a way half a year, but my 65 endgame gear is still top, and I was EASY able to to skirmishes as an easygoing fun inbetween waiting for someone or what.

And now?

I am losing ~50% of all skirmishes. Or they are so incredibly hard, I am winning them BARELY and always on my toes! Even when I set them 1-2 level below! I mean... WHAT IN THE NAME OF BLAST?

And then those WONDERFUL smartasses. Telliing ME about skill settings! God, I was playing MMOs, heck COMPUTER GAMES, when their DADDIES still were in diapers! I don't need berating about GAME SKILLS from people 30 years YOUNGER! There is just something wrong, and WTH kind of philosophy IS THAT THESE DAYS?

I need a special min-maxxed skill setting and special gear forged of 315 raids just to face some stupid skirmish solo boss? That just ridiculous! EVERY normal skill selection SHOULD be able to do solo skirmishes or normal setting EASY. I don't play games because I want to proof myself! I want to relax, let go some pressure and have a fun time. And not have a list of skills to have and gear to have to raids to do just to stand against some GODDAMN SOLO SKIRMISH BOSS!

Blast. I am so pissed about people and this stupid WOW-ish endgame gear min-max ideology that infected every frigging game now!

Over and out.

EDIT: And on a totally unconnected sidenote: I am bit let down by Isengard. It's MORE boars and wolves by the legion. I mean... I know this isn't wonderland... but give me a break! I fought dragons and demons, and how I am killing stupid boars again? To make some dinner for some backwater Dunlandians? And all this "carry this box and clean this street and carry some apples and some sticks". Who the heck do they think I am, the cleaning maid? That is SO unheroic. I really hope it gets better soon. And I REALLY REALLY hope I NEVER see boars and wolves in any next addon zones in LOTRO, because I am DAMN fed up with the same boar and wolf models again and again and again.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

............./hug

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

There are no boars in Isengard....only Orcs dressed up like boars. ...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by jerkbeast

............./hug

Thanks. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Which skirmishes are you doing? The ones they added in the last update (or this summer) are really, really hard.

But I haven't played it in months myself. But maybe they re-did the skirmish soldiers again? They've done that before, so you had to re-allocate their points....

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Which skirmishes are you doing? The ones they added in the last update (or this summer) are really, really hard.

But I haven't played it in months myself. But maybe they re-did the skirmish soldiers again? They've done that before, so you had to re-allocate their points....

First I did Gondamon in a Trio, god we died so many times and BARELY made it. I used to make Gondamon 30, 40 times in the past and NEVER had such a difficult time. Then I tried to solo this in the frozen cliff, at the end is some shaman with a mammoth. I tried evering, food, drink, full prepared for rare skills, item buffs everything, but try as I might, I could not defeat him, even tho my Guardian was 68 and the instance was set to level 66.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Do not do skirmishes in a 3 person group for some reason it scales very badly.Either duo or get more than 3.  What type of soldier are you using ?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

ok,is your soldier at your lvl or above,by that i mean skils etc,then take a look at your wepons,all points were reset on legendary wepons,i know you have probably done the latter,i have 65 grd and i do a lot of skirms in overpower.it also depends on what soldier you have with you and what tier you are doin skirm wise.i use a healer type which regens power and health so i blast thru most m8.anyways hope you sort the problem out,nothing worse than knowing you should do em nps and then die.

also 2-3 man are a hell of a lot more extreme,all signatures with 20k health no doubt..i went has healer the other day with 2 kin members and a hunter got 2 hitted before i had time to react.

Originally posted by kitarad

Do not do skirmishes in a 3 person group for some reason it scales very badly.Either duo or get more than 3.  What type of soldier are you using ?

My soldier is.. oof "Waffenmeister"... I use the German version, dunno the English word. It's the guy with 2 swords doing melee DMG. So far skirmishes were easy with him, at least 1/2 year ago.

I would not want to mess with my own racial, class and legendary traits because in PVE I am very happy with my Guardian, and skirmishes are just supposed a side-fun for me. So I kinda do NOT want to change the skills and traits of my Guardian.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

I"ll have to check that out tonight.

Is there a particular skirmish that you have been having difficulty with? My character is a guardian so it should be a reasonably similiar experience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Is there a particular skirmish that you have been having difficulty with? My character is a guardian so it should be a reasonably similiar experience.

I did not try out many. But yes the one in ice canyons in Forochel (?) was the one I didn't make in the end boss. I mean, ok I did never have a healer soldier, but in the past my melee damage soldier always worked well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

Originally posted by Elikal

I did not try out many. But yes the one in ice canyons in Forochel (?) was the one I didn't make in the end boss. I mean, ok I did never have a healer soldier, but in the past my melee damage soldier always worked well.

lol,

oh Elikal, I think that is just that skirmish. I don't usually die in skirmishes unless i'm testing myself against higher difficulties. BUT...

I took my lvl 46 Warden in that one and I was surprised at how often I was dying. That's an extremely difficult one unless you have a good mixture of classes. I tried to solo it with my healer soldier and eventually gave up.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • balador79balador79 Member Posts: 2

That particular one is quite hard. I'm a 62 captain with the same soldier type. Dies 3 times in there. First time I fought the boss with the mammoth. He pretty much steam rolled me. They alternate back and forth after so much damage is done until the end when they both attack you. I personally think it's scaled a little harder than the rest.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Blast. I am so pissed about people and this stupid WOW-ish endgame gear min-max ideology that infected every frigging game now!

Over and out.

EDIT: And on a totally unconnected sidenote: I am bit let down by Isengard. It's MORE boars and wolves by the legion. I mean... I know this isn't wonderland... but give me a break! I fought dragons and demons, and how I am killing stupid boars again? To make some dinner for some backwater Dunlandians? And all this "carry this box and clean this street and carry some apples and some sticks". Who the heck do they think I am, the cleaning maid? That is SO unheroic. I really hope it gets better soon. And I REALLY REALLY hope I NEVER see boars and wolves in any next addon zones in LOTRO, because I am DAMN fed up with the same boar and wolf models again and again and again.

completely agree it's gotten WAY out of hand, especially on a game like lotro. I played Isengard beta and i was not impressed but for different reasons then the problems you pointed out. Is there some law that an mmo interface can't be changed to be improved between games? like is one looting style or one bag style or one interface style copywritten or something because i would really like to know why all the game developers can't implement things like and infinite space quest item only bag, or an instant messenger style chat system or AOE looting in all games. These things should be 100% an option and i found NOTHING new in LOTRO in their interface after all this time. just more of the same, now i know there will be some out there who will say that they were busy revamping class mechanics and i agree that does take alot of time but surely they are interested in improving the REST of the game as well. 

Oh and FYI guy on the problem you've pointed out, to get anything worth while on my loremaster i had to have a healer soldier and i had to run the easier ones when i was running them solo. That one you speak of with the mammoth is quite hard even for healer classes and they did want to make it more of a challenge for the 13 year olds so they could feel speshul and all.

lol,

oh Elikal, I think that is just that skirmish. I don't usually die in skirmishes unless i'm testing myself against higher difficulties. BUT...

I took my lvl 46 Warden in that one and I was surprised at how often I was dying. That's an extremely difficult one unless you have a good mixture of classes. I tried to solo it with my healer soldier and eventually gave up.

Thanks. I was really starting to doubt myself. ^^

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Thanks for info. Perfectly good reason for me not to buy any more expansion. Meh, played LOTRO since it's release, on & off; but havent got past level 41 (lol).

LOTRO is boring as hell. At least WoW made me feel something; LOTRO just makes me numb.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

My loremaster used to solo with a soldier guardian I think and my Runemaster a warrior soldier. Both did fine except the runemaster had a lot of kiting in some very hard skirmishes. I think some of them may be too hard but you must get the right skills like taunt and pulling is very important and with some soldiers they keep rushing headlong in and ruining every pull.

Chamber of Chains
  • bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Were expecting something different? As many nice things the game has and as lovely as the community is, the game is one long grind from start to finish. I was propelled through it by the hope that the boar killing would eventually end. My first goal was getting to Moria only to find out that it involved mostly banal grindy quests. Then I thought once I got to Lorien they'd bring in something new only to find a big heap of 'kill x amount of y's' quests at the back door of Moria. In the early stages it's possible to proceed largely on storyline quests which are enjoyable to do but later on avoiding the repetitive chaff just gets harder and harder. And running through the same skirmish a 1000 times in not a viable xp solution either. Roll on next gen MMOs.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I noticed as soon as I got back elites and rare signatures even roaming ones got a huge and abnormal buff to alpha crits that made them untouchable. Alot like it was with the epics back in the start, before they toned them back.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Were expecting something different? As many nice things the game has and as lovely as the community is, the game is one long grind from start to finish. I was propelled through it by the hope that the boar killing would eventually end. My first goal was getting to Moria only to find out that it involved mostly banal grindy quests. Then I thought once I got to Lorien they'd bring in something new only to find a big heap of 'kill x amount of y's' quests at the back door of Moria. In the early stages it's possible to proceed largely on storyline quests which are enjoyable to do but later on avoiding the repetitive chaff just gets harder and harder. And running through the same skirmish a 1000 times in not a viable xp solution either. Roll on next gen MMOs.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this game once GW2 and Swtor come out (not to mention the others),  Turbine has grown stale and this release just shows the complete lack of creativity and also the lack of working out bugs (not to mention very poor hardware).  I miss the excitement of the SoA days. 

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by kitarad

this is true + if your trying to do Icy crevisse you really need to hit those crevisses for the healing buff , anyways that skirmish   give me trouble aswell .

good luck