Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions on EvE

kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

So yeah. I just have a quick list of questions about Eve Online, it's community, and gameplay.

1. Is the economy REALLY as realisitic as it describes itself?

2. How easy is it to get a job in a guild, company, or corporation?

3. Do you build cities/colonies/factories to get what you need? And if so, what's the menu or interface for doing so like?

4. Is the gameplay similar to Spore in the Space Stage?

5. Can you live as a freelance trader, working as a jack-of-all-trades and responding to current market demands?

6. What ARE the market demands? Mostly space ship parts?

7. How awesome of a graphics card do I need to play?

8. Does the game take a bit to get used to?

9. Do you only have a ship (like in Spore) as an avatar, or do you also have a human avatar?

Any and all responses are appreciated ^_^

The answer is 42 you idiot!

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,667

1. What description are you referring to?

2. You don't really get a "job" unless you are roleplaying. It's just like joining a guild in a fantasy game. How easy is to to join a corp? If you don't care which corp you join, super easy. How easy is it to spend a lot of time finding a great corp and a great group of people to play with? It can be a challenge, but worth it in the long run to fully enjoy the game.

3. No. You can build some basic extraction structures on a planet, but nothing like what you're probably talking about. The UI for what little you can do is fine.

4. No idea.

5. Easily. If you are good at it you can make more isk than you know what to do with.

6. Space ship parts and other manufacturing parts for things like spacestations and so on. There are also things like illegal drugs, but these cool items are a minority in the market.

7. I can run it on my laptop so a pretty shitty one is probably okay. You need "shader 3" whatever that is. Google "can i run it" and you can run a test there.

8. It can take a very long time, and multiple tries, to get used to it and to like it.

9. You have a human avatar. I don't know anything about spore.

There is a free trial. It's a lot easier for you to just download it and try it for yourself.

• ilusiailusia Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by kolsovo

So yeah. I just have a quick list of questions about Eve Online, it's community, and gameplay.

3. Do you build cities/colonies/factories to get what you need? And if so, what's the menu or interface for doing so like?

5. Can you live as a freelance trader, working as a jack-of-all-trades and responding to current market demands?

9. Do you only have a ship (like in Spore) as an avatar, or do you also have a human avatar?

1) Yes the economy is as realistic as is described, the economy fluctuates as a RL economy would its  supply and demand and prices vary accordingly.

2) There are plenty of Corperations in the game who will invite new players into there ranks.

3) No there is no city building or factory or such stuff in Eve.

4) No Spore is completely different type of game  have to see Eve as RL in space.

5) Yes u can pretty much do anything u want in Eve  being it marketeer, Industrialist, Pirate, Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Researcher, or a combination of any of the above the options are limitless.

6) The market is as complex as any RL economy and fluctuates accordingly to whichever it needs, the game has ingame stats showing price fluctuations.

7) Hmm not sure if i can answer this question tbh.

8) Yes it does as the game itself is pretty complex, however it has a suberb tutorial teaching u all the basic things u need to know, getting into a Corperation will speed this up even more, apart from that Eve also has a suberb help channel in which players help new and old players with any questions they may have. (Even 7-8 year old veterans of the game like myself visit those channels).

9) For the moment u only have a ship and u can walk in your private quarters docked inside a station, in due time u will be able to go outside your quarters and interact with the station itself aswell (CCP is working on this atm).

Atm i have 4 accounts of which my oldest char was created on 30-8-2004 and i have done most of the things as stated above playing for over 7 years now and still loving the game as much as i did when i started out back in 2004 even more probably.

Hope this helped a bit

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

These guys pretty much answered all your questions spot on. The only advice I can give you is be patient ingame. It tooks me about 2-3 tries before EvE really grabbed hold on me and I starting playing it as my main MMO.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Im at other end of the spectrum, 3 months in, and loving it (and im not pvping yet, although I have been ganked for being clumsy :)

Best tip I can give is whenever you feel overwhelmed or cant think what to do, sit back think about what you would like to do, then aim for that, research eith the browser in game while flying. If you get stuck, switch to something else and come back to it later. 

Finally patience is the key, just casually drift about do what you fancy and watch carefully for the gradual increases in your ship performance - skill upgrades can be very subtle, but if you watch for those little increments every day it does become very rewarding.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,217

Originally posted by kolsovo

well real economy is moderated. eve's economy is more like how pure "laissez-faire" economy would look like if it would exist.

its very easy. just got to search a bit or look for who's advertising etc.

some things like planetary intercation you can build easily (youtube it). other things especially big things are very massive efforts that take hundreds of players.

cant comment.

you can. many do.

they vary greatly. but war-related stuff is a good bet because war-related stuff gets lost and needs replacements the most. so ships, fuel, ship components, weapons, other ship modules, rigs, drones...that sort of stuff.

my 2008 laptop does fine with eve.

oh yeah. im playing for 2 years and i suck. very steep curve. about 1 month to 'get used to' but years and years to master.

you have your avatar and he owns ship(s). can have as many as you want. most pilots hav many ships at once, for different occasions, for different tasks, for backups and whatnot. no ship limit.

it can be a bit hard at times to 'see' what you should do next. best game experience comes for players who try different things. I liked mining but i also wanted to live in nullsec and pvp/pve. in fact I skipped all the tutorials because i just wanted to do my own thing. Not the best idea. tutorials show you some of the stuff that's available. a lot of times there'l lbe something you dont know about that would rally interest you but you got to...hear about it first.

edit: commenting on one of above replis, there is city-building in the form of station-building and there is factory-building in the form of Assembly Arrays at POS'es. an assembly array is basically for all intents and purposes a factory.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,036

Sitting on facebook for 5 hrs waiting for eggplants to grow in Farmville is boring but sitting on a gate in EVE for 5 hrs to blow up an empty Hoarder is cool.

I think they are both lame but if you don't you might like EVE. Enjoy. [mod edit]

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by free2play

Sitting on facebook for 5 hrs waiting for eggplants to grow in Farmville is boring but sitting on a gate in EVE for 5 hrs to blow up an empty Hoarder is cool.

I think they are both lame but if you don't you might like EVE. Enjoy. [mod edit]

I like that. :-p

The game offers a lot of different things to different people.  Personally - I can do a lot of different things but choose to do only a handful.

I can fly capitals on down to frigates.

I can station trade from 10 systems out within the same region.

I have access to jump clone service providers in half of empire space - woopie...  Like I really need this alot but I can also setup a POS in half of empire if I wanted to.

I can and do run missions - in a post 1 billion isk Machariel - rather quickly.

I used to mine when I started but pointing a laser at a rock and taking a nap just didn't interest me.

I find gate camp PvP to be about as exciting as your analogy so it's not what I'm into.  I did look at nullsec but it's broken so not a place I'd be interested in going - I don't do the crawling on your knees to overlords gig very well.

So I've been looking at wormhole outfits - risk, rewards, you never can tell if enemies are around but you work with a tight-nit crew for both PvE and PvP.

Far less e-peen involved, far more pew-pew freedom and other such groups... You're liable to spend 1 day working with a crew and the next shooting at due to competing for the same sites in a different spot.  None of the ego/attitude crap you see from nullsec types as they insult and sneer at each other.

These types of players are about 10x more paranoid than most but also tend to be far more free with how they work and interact with others.  It's kind of an almost tribal or clan type operation system.  Lots of trust needed between members.

And yes - I can even use my capital ships in those places - without needing a cyno alt to move it around.

• MidirfultonMidirfulton Member Posts: 5

It is by far the most realistic economy in any video game. Most things in the game are made by players.

It is easy to get into a corporation.  It is hard to get into a GOOD corporation.  Some corporations do have positions, but no corporation worth a damn would let newer players have access expensive things.

There is some Plantary Interaction, but it is nothing to intensive.  The interface in eve takes a LOT of getting used too.

No, a lot more complicated.

Yes, but it's not run by CCP.  You are trading against other people.  You have to buy goods from real players and sell to other real players.  It is a lot more complicated then other games.

Everything, there is nothing in the game that is bound to a person.  Everything in the game is and can be traded.

Not to bad, Shader 3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2335016192/

You get a human avatar now, but there is little to nothing you are able to do with them at the moment.