Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ques on launch day?

Do you think there will be ques on launch day or that they will have made preperations for enough server space? If the former, what do you think the average time to get in will be?  =P

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Ireland will experience a climate change for all the heat the server farms for SWTOR-EU will radiate.
    The Gouvernement had to invest in the irish internet to expand up to the needed bandwith.
    Probably there will be many queues...making Ireland become a tropical island!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Personally, I think the whole pre-order "early access" was designed to avoid this particular mess.  We can only wait and see if it does though.  EA and BioWare have a vested interest in making this game launch smoothly or it will just be ANOTHER game with a lousy launch just like the other dozen or so in the last few years.  A bad launch, while it can be over come, tends to stick with a game for a long time.  Just look at WoW, people STILL complain about how bad the first few days after launch that game was.  They did overcome it, but it was a stain on the game for a while.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Sh3nanigansSh3nanigans Member Posts: 23

So what if there is? You can't wait a few minutes? I doubt there's a queue unless the game sells an unprecedented amount.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Well, they've said that they're limiting quantities sold in order to ensure that they can provide a good launch experience.

Server queues are a bad launch experience.

So the implication is that they're limiting quantities in order to avoid queues.  

Personally, i'll believe it when i see it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Even though they have made lots of preparations to prevent it, such as loads of servers, staggered entry, getting lots of people in already due to preorder headstart, and launching just a few days before Christmas, I still think there will be queues at launch.

Every MMO I have been in at launch, there have always been queues. Its just inevitable. Especially considering the amount of hype  SWTOR is generating. They have to make a balance between having lots of servers at launch to reduce queues, and making sure the servers stay populated once the initial rush is over. Im guessing that the headstart will allow people with preorders to progress past the starting zones before launch day, so they wont be full up and the queues wont be too long.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Sh3nanigans

So what if there is? You can't wait a few minutes? I doubt there's a queue unless the game sells an unprecedented amount.

Define "a few minutes"  =P

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

It's not like you are going to have a choice.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

There will be ques, my quess is about 3 hours. It's Star Wars, it would be impossible for Bioware to have enough server capacity to launch.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by arieste

Well, they've said that they're limiting quantities sold in order to ensure that they can provide a good launch experience.

Server queues are a bad launch experience.

So the implication is that they're limiting quantities in order to avoid queues.  

Personally, i'll believe it when i see it.

Thank you for spelling queues right.

I don't believe there will be queues, but that's just my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Actually I do. If there are long ques on launch day I might just wait until the next day to play. Some people like to take a day off work on the day a game they are looking forward to is coming out, only to be disappointed by not being able to play much of that day. So if I decide to do that, it will probably be the day after to make sure I get the most out of it.

But now that I have corrected you on the fact that I do actually have a choice, maybe you can clarify what you mean by "a few minutes" like I already asked you   =)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The pre-registration of Guilds on their website is a BIG factor in distributing the population on launch day so that queues are short or non-existent.

It really is a brilliant, brilliant scheme because they obviously know if you've registered a copy or not and/or pre-ordered and/or signed up for a Guild etc.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

But now that I have corrected you on the fact that I do actually have a choice, maybe you can clarify what you mean by "a few minutes" like I already asked you   =)

No one can know that before launch. We can only guess. 

From my personal experience, Aion was really hyped before launch and I had a queue of about 1hr to get in the first time. I reckon bioware will have done a much better job of things so despite the extra hype SWTOR has my guess is upto an hour

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Actually I do. If there are long ques on launch day I might just wait until the next day to play. Some people like to take a day off work on the day a game they are looking forward to is coming out, only to be disappointed by not being able to play much of that day. So if I decide to do that, it will probably be the day after to make sure I get the most out of it.

Queues will never be so long that it will take most of the day to log in.

I was saying that you don't have a choice in regards to there being a queue, so no you did not correct me on anything.

Even HUGE games like WoW the longest I ever waited in queue was maybe 10-15 minutes. I'm quite sure they can afford just as good servers and will do everything possible to prepare for launch.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Don't forget that they have said that they will have multiple instances of the starter worlds at launch. So th queues won't be as bad as they could be. This may even continue to the home world for awhile until players get spread out. This is one of the main testing features of the weekend testing coming up they have said. Trying to figure that whole thing out for a better launch experience. May be tuff with the masses incoming to this game though.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Do you think there will be ques on launch day or that they will have made preperations for enough server space? If the former, what do you think the average time to get in will be?  =P

The LAST and ONLy game i have seen launched properly was FFXI,that was 8+ years ago.That is  a long time seeing a lot of inept developers with poor excuses make botched launch after botched launch.As a matter  of fact not only was FFXI's launch perfect but it is to this day the ONLY perfectly polished game to ever come out,not a single problem ever in 8 years that i played.

So do i expect more of the same lame launches?You bet your bottom dollar i do,i would count on it.For a small developer/publisher it is perhaps excusable because it's not like they have extra servers or can move some to another game if they get too many.

We are talking a GIANT here in EA,this is not Bioware,this is EA that runs the whole show and they have a TON of resources to make sure this launch is smooth.So here is the real question,if they have the ability and still decide to screw you the customer over,are you still going to happily support them for laughing in your face?

They have already announced a release without even beta testing the game..lol,are you serious?EA  is about as popular as SOE is right now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I have a feeling there will be.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson