Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Laptop

TyesisTyesis Member Posts: 17

Ok, so I am currently in the process of trying to sell my M14x.

I am a college student and bought it knowing I had X dollars coming in over the summer.  I didn't get as much as I thought I over the summer so need to reinvest in a cheaper notebook.

My budget would have to be no more than $1000 US.  I am looking for something durable, reliable, and at least somewhat powerful.  I don't play any of the graphic intensive games like the FPS' on my laptop (have an XBOX 360).  I would be interested in playing Starcraft 2 and Lotro at the current time.  But future games I would like to be able to play are Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and Guild Wars 2 (maybe WAR Wrath of Heroes when released).  I don't need them to play on max OMG look at that! settings.  I usually run Lotro on no more than High and SC2 on lowest/medium.  Doesn't bother me at all.

If at all possible could the fans not sound like a blowdryer like the M14x's. : )

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks ahead of time.  : )

PS  No Dells please

Comments

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Well if your looking for a deal and looking to save some cash check out my posts on this thread here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/327734/Sub-500-laptop-that-will-play-SWTOR.html

The ASUS Laptop I mention in this thread I got for $480 and im currently running the new Battlefield 3 open beta on medium settings. I can run Rift on medium to high settings. Make sure and max out the RAM for an extra $20 if you get this laptop. You cant find a laptop this cheap that will run games like this for under $500.

• TyesisTyesis Member Posts: 17
    Have 2 questions:

Do I really need the i7 quad cOre or will the i5 be sufficient because won't that cut down on heat of the notebook?
    Also one model I'm looking at has a nvidia geforce 555m which is Plenty strOng for what I need but also will an
    AMD CPU GPU combo work like another model has
    An AMD 6520g that like cooperates with the CPU? Would that be strong enough for my needs posted in initial post?
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

hi tesis, personally I belive going below the 6720g2 which uses the AMD Radeon HD 6650m as stated in thread above me would be the lowest I would want to go if looking for a gaming laptop or a 6630m.  The 6520g is an entry level graphics solution so its not going to satisfy your needs, only tease them but of course it will game.

yea, So I am leaning towards the Lenovo y570 cause it has same card my alienware has its just 600 dollars cheaper.  Would it be a much difference getting the model with the i7 as opposed to the i5 cause its like 200 dollars cheaper getting the i5 over i7.

But I still need to sell my alienware m14x before I can do anything lol.

Well seenings how the processor update is to i7-2630QM, that is a substantial gain obviousuly its 200 dollars more for a reason.  Depending on your needs though. 

Alot of people put that processor in there m18x, so you know its powefull.  I have to say the I5 series is a great processor though, its what I use.  Quad processing has really started to take off though in terms of support in new games, well it will down the road more then now.  Still if your into multitasking its a viable option although its not really my expertise to give my opinion on processors, Im just about laptops. 

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by Tyesis

yea, So I am leaning towards the Lenovo y570 cause it has same card my alienware has its just 600 dollars cheaper.  Would it be a much difference getting the model with the i7 as opposed to the i5 cause its like 200 dollars cheaper getting the i5 over i7.

But I still need to sell my alienware m14x before I can do anything lol.

It's not the same card. The Lenovo uses the GF108 based version whereas the AW uses the GF106. They're completely different and the AW has much better graphical performance.

Well, my needs are stated above, and the Lenovo is much cheaper which is what I need right now.  Just something to hold me for the next 2 years to do mild gaming on (nothing intensive like fps' or anything like that).  Most intensive thing will probably be Guild Wars 2 whenever that releases.  And nothing needs to be on high settings etc...just needs to be playable on like medium and I'll be more than happy.

Once I finish my undergrad I'm gonna just get a desktop.  Just don't have the space for it in a dorm. 

So would the Lenovo y570 be a good bet to do the job for me?

Or even the y470 would be an option cause its more portable but how much Of a diff is tere between the GT550 and GT555 in performance?
  • psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

AMD A8 based laptop is really all you need if you are in school. 

Well the HP Envy 14 has an AMD 6630 card would that card be strong enough for my needs in original post?  Then envy is also 300 more than the y470 cause y470 is on sale for next 2 days and I can get a 550M in that.  Thoughts?

• EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69

If you want quality at a good price I'd look at Sager.

Or one of the laptops on here.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-15416-laptops-ct-95_51_149.html

Look at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ for good information on what laptop is best.

Currently I am using a Sager 8170.

Core i7-2720qm

8GB Ram

GTX 485m

120HZ 3d Screen

120GB SSD

720 GB HDD

Blu Ray/DVD Burner

Now this is a bit pricey but you'll see that you can customive how you want and save money in certain areas.

• Archangel326Archangel326 Member Posts: 43

IDK if you are still looking but this is on newegg right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230111&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-34-230-111-_-Product 

lol 106, 108, rolf...its like your saying there is gddr3 in one and gddr5 memory in the other.  The cards are similar in performance, its not like the 555 is going to compleatly demolish the 550.  In game performance will be mildly differerent at best.  Im also happy to report Im playing Rage on my ideapad and it works great.

ppl should stop posting here about stuff they dont have no clue about.  This really isnt the right place to post about laptops as its a terribly bias rabbid fanboy desktop oriented website.  All your really going to get for awnsers here expecially about laptops is compleatly asinine answers. 

The 6630 card isnt going to come close to the 550 speed in the nvidia and also the envy has a reduced clock on its graphics card making it even slower as well as its locked which means it cant be overclocked like the other cards can, that was how the previous version of the envy was anyway.

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by eycel

lol 106, 108, rolf...its like your saying there is gddr3 in one and gddr5 memory in the other.  The cards are similar in performance, its not like the 555 is going to compleatly demolish the 550.  In game performance will be mildly differerent at best.  Im also happy to report Im playing Rage on my ideapad and it works great.

ppl should stop posting here about stuff they dont have no clue about.  This really isnt the right place to post about laptops as its a terribly bias rabbid fanboy desktop oriented website.  All your really going to get for awnsers here expecially about laptops is compleatly asinine answers. 

The 6630 card isnt going to come close to the 550 speed in the nvidia and also the envy has a reduced clock on its graphics card making it even slower as well as its locked which means it cant be overclocked like the other cards can, that was how the previous version of the envy was anyway.

I was going to make a long post, but since it's you I don't think I have to. I'll just make one comment:

"ppl should stop posting here about stuff they dont have no clue about."

Speak for yourself, but remove the double negative.