Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Story Question

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Do we know how long the personal stories are?

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Long enough to get you to max level or at least close to it, however long that may take you.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by romanator0

Long enough to get you to max level or at least close to it, however long that may take you.

Shouldn’t it take you beyond max level, I always figured you would be fighting Zhaitan after you had already been 80 for a while.

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Shouldn’t it take you beyond max level, I always figured you would be fighting Zhaitan after you had already been 80 for a while.

Zhaitan is in a dungeon so it doesn't have any connection to the personal story.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Have they given any hours as to how long each race's story is, like TOR has been claiming 200 hours story per class.

Originally posted by nomss

Have they given any hours as to how long each race's story is, like TOR has been claiming 200 hours story per class.

No, because everyone is going to go through the story at a different pace. It would be very stupid to give an estimation like that.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Zhaitan is in a dungeon so it doesn't have any connection to the personal story.

The first time you enter a dungeon is allways in the personal story mode... So yes Zhaitan is supposed to be the end of all personal stories... And a large chunkc of the personal stoprie is supposed to happen at 80...

I wouldnt be surprised if extra content would let you continiue your personal story after that.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The first time you enter a dungeon is allways in the personal story mode... So yes Zhaitan is supposed to be the end of all personal stories... And a large chunkc of the personal stoprie is supposed to happen at 80...

I wouldnt be surprised if extra content would let you continiue your personal story after that.

Dungeons aren't part of the Personal Story. The dungeons get their own Story Mode but it is not part of the Personal Story in any way.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The awesome thing is that you can lvl your toon mainly on dynamic events in any direction or even pvp if you prefer and then always can go back to continue your personal story. With the automatic downscaling of your lvl, there is no danger of your personal story becoming less epic because you outlvled the content. Your personal story is probably the easiest content I expect and more about presenting a story.

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Do we know how long the personal stories are?

I would think around 40 to 50 hours for your personal story, at least half of what it takes to fully level up your toon. Which is estimated to be over 100+ hours.

Excluding Of course:  Raiding, Dungeons, Dying, Exploring, Random Acts of Violence towards Hylek's, Dynamic Events not part of your story, Crafing, Mini Games, RVR Events, PVP and so on. You could be easily be putting in over 300 to 500 hours before you get to the end of your personal story and maxing out your toon....that's if you intend to play this as an MMO. =)

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Dungeons aren't part of the Personal Story. The dungeons get their own Story Mode but it is not part of the Personal Story in any way.

Story Dungeons are not required to progress your personal story, but they still are connected to it. They are basically side-storys.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

How do we determine "LONG" term?

Do we look just at finishing Personal Story once? OR with every possible branching taken into account?

Do we include leveling time? OR just the dialogues? Do we take an average leveling time? Or fastest possible?

Do we think of Personal Story of just 1 class/race ? Or we take into consideration all classes/races?

"Long" is such a subjective term...

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Naqaj

Story Dungeons are not required to progress your personal story, but they still are connected to it. They are basically side-storys.

No they are not. Romanator0 is correct in saying that Dungeons are not part of the personal story. The Dungeons have their own self-contained stories, where you're basically trying to get Destiny's Edge back together. Nothing to do with your personal story. However it is known that 1 of the 8 Dungeons (in-story mode), contains the end goal of the personal story, which is to take down Zhaitan, with Destiny's Edge.

As for the length of the personal story, they did say (in an old interview) that if you did nothing but the personal story and ignored everything else, then you wouldn't be able to level to max. ArenaNet wants you (the player) to take part in DEs, as you travel to your personal story locations.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

The original Guild Wars had primary quests and secondary quests. If you ONLY followed the primary quests, you would reach end game at max lvl without problems. Hoping this is the same case with GW2. Can anyone confirm?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by marzatplay

The original Guild Wars had primary quests and secondary quests. If you ONLY followed the primary quests, you would reach end game at max lvl without problems. Hoping this is the same case with GW2. Can anyone confirm?

It's not the same. Can't be assed to confirm it (forgot which interview it was it), so can either take make word for it or just ignore me and be in for a shock, come release.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Master10K

No they are not. Romanator0 is correct in saying that Dungeons are not part of the personal story. The Dungeons have their own self-contained stories, where you're basically trying to get Destiny's Edge back together. Nothing to do with your personal story. However it is known that 1 of the 8 Dungeons (in-story mode), contains the end goal of the personal story, which is to take down Zhaitan, with Destiny's Edge.

As for the length of the personal story, they did say (in an old interview) that if you did nothing but the personal story and ignored everything else, then you wouldn't be able to level to max. ArenaNet wants you (the player) to take part in DEs, as you travel to your personal story locations.

Is it confirmed that you fight Zhaitan in story mode of one of the dungeons?  I read that the fight was in a dungeon, which I thought was odd considering it feels like it should be the end of the personal story.  Especially considering that during the personal story, players have to choose between the vigil, durmond priory and the order of whispers, who all have different ways of trying to take down the dragons.  It would have made sense to me to have that decision of the personal story impact the way in which you try to take down Zhaitan at the end.

So anyway, going back to the dungeons, it just seems incredibly anti-climactic to me to have the fight with Zhaitan be in the pick up group friendly story mode.  How can you even follow that up with a much harder explorable mode?  But going back to the various orders, it makes at least some sense to have three different explorable mode options be the three different Vigil/DP/OoW methods of trying to take him down, regardless of your own choice in the personal story.

So, confirmed that Zhaitan is in story mode?  Can you provide a link to that please?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Most of us have been playing GW 1 since the begining and we all know that there are A LOT of things that you can do even after you have beaten each campagin.  I'm really not worried one bit about not having things to do or running out of contents in GW 2. 

From my understanding, we can take on BOTH the personal story and the main story at the same time if we want to.  Besides each dungeon has it's own story so I'm not worry about running out of things to do.

Know ArenaNet, I'm sure they will keep pumping out contents and I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the person story after you've finished it. 

That being said, just try play the game and don't worry about when or how to get to the max level.  Unlike most of MMO, Guild Wars is not the type of game that you have to race to the max level and grind gears.

Have you guys read the two novels(Ghost of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny) from GW 2 yet?  After you've read those two books, you'll want to play GW 2 even more!  Also Edge of Destiny helped me decide what class what I want to play, too.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by cali59

So, confirmed that Zhaitan is in story mode?  Can you provide a link to that please?

I second this request. I'm following pretty much every interview, but I totally missed this one, as well as the one where it say the Destinys Edge story is no longer part of your personal story but now confined to dungeons. Some help here, anyone?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I second this request. I'm following pretty much every interview, but I totally missed this one, as well as the one where it say the Destinys Edge story is no longer part of your personal story but now confined to dungeons. Some help here, anyone?

This is news to me.  The last I remember hearing was that bringing together Destiny's Edge again, was a pivotal event in the plot of the personal storyline.

This was my understanding of it and will remain so until I hear it offcially contradicted or I discover it's wrong for myself by playing.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

No, because everyone is going to go through the story at a different pace. It would be very stupid to give an estimation like that.

They said somewhere that it will take around 100 hours to reach max level. 

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Dungeons are not about bringing Destiny's Edge back together, but they do involve the members of Destiny's Edge. The Personal Story is about bringing them together.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Originally posted by Diovidius

Dungeons are not about bringing Destiny's Edge back together, but they do involve the members of Destiny's Edge. The Personal Story is about bringing them together.

yes they are

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by andre369

Originally posted by Diovidius

yes they are

Nuhu!

Storyline:

The guild Destiny's Edge, once renowned for their efforts preventing the dragons from destroying the world, has fallen apart. Each of the members are from one of the player races and they can no longer see through their differences and past to work together. The members can be befriended and the group united again to set the stage for the overarching story.

Dungeons:

Story mode is played through on the first visit to the dungeon. The dungeon stories, told through cut scenes and exposition, are focused on revealing and developing the Destiny's Edge situation. One or two members of Destiny's Edge join the party to guide them through a largely linear dungeon story.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_storyline

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

If Zhaitan is in a dungeon (end boss I'm sure) then he'd be in both Story Mode and Explorable Mode. Explorable mode dungeons are what Anet considers the 'raid dungeons' because of the considerably increased difficulty. So I'd imagine the final piece of the puzzle is fighting through the story mode to face Zhaitan and then for fighting through and facing him in Explorable Mode. :)

Considering there are DE's in dungeons too (both Story Mode and Explorable I believe) the battle with Zhaitan could vary quite significantly each time you fight him. The possilbities are rather exciting!

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Is it confirmed that you fight Zhaitan in story mode of one of the dungeons?  I read that the fight was in a dungeon, which I thought was odd considering it feels like it should be the end of the personal story.  Especially considering that during the personal story, players have to choose between the vigil, durmond priory and the order of whispers, who all have different ways of trying to take down the dragons.  It would have made sense to me to have that decision of the personal story impact the way in which you try to take down Zhaitan at the end.

So anyway, going back to the dungeons, it just seems incredibly anti-climactic to me to have the fight with Zhaitan be in the pick up group friendly story mode.  How can you even follow that up with a much harder explorable mode?  But going back to the various orders, it makes at least some sense to have three different explorable mode options be the three different Vigil/DP/OoW methods of trying to take him down, regardless of your own choice in the personal story.

"The only Elder Dragon that players encounter in Guild Wars 2 is Zhaitan, and he is fought as part of a dungeon. So it’s safe to say that at least for the initial release of the game, you’ll only see Elder Dragons in instances."

http://www.guildmag.com/magazine/issue7/flannumintv.html

Hype train -> Reality

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

"The only Elder Dragon that players encounter in Guild Wars 2 is Zhaitan, and he is fought as part of a dungeon. So it’s safe to say that at least for the initial release of the game, you’ll only see Elder Dragons in instances."

http://www.guildmag.com/magazine/issue7/flannumintv.html

That's what I read as well, but unless I'm missing something that only says Zhaitan will be in a dungeon, not whether he'll be in the story mode and/or the explorable mode.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007