Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or Dark Souls?

I understand how it may be hard to relate the two. Just so you'd know, I preordered both, so it's not like I have to make a decision here. I just want to see what you guys think. TES: Skyrim or Dark Souls?

By the way, I'm coming back in 2 hours to check on the responses. The person who backs up their opinion in the best and most detailed way (in comparison to the other responders) will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. image

Comments

• high_jaydenhigh_jayden Member Posts: 7

I play video games for fun. Not to be "Punished." If I want to play ridiculously hard games I'll put the setting on the hardest available. Skyrim ftw, because it's fun and won't drive my blood pressure through the roof. I'm gonna wait till Dark Souls is 19.99 new and then I'll buy it.

• khasuptoothkhasuptooth Member Posts: 8

I love both games dark souls and elder scrolls 4. But id go for dark souls because in my opinion dark souls will give you more options to customize you characters skills. Thats what i like. Id go for skyrim because its open world. They said dark souls would be too but im not sure.

• plopez21plopez21 Member Posts: 2

I for one have played 30 minutes of Skyrim...and the game really does bring you into its world and its probabily the only game that I couldnt and wouldnt stop playing. Its sort of like a sandbox game but with RPG elements. Dark souls is 100% RPG. Stop comparing both of those games. Its like the Cod VS Battlefield flame war. Cod=Arcade style gameplay /  Battlefield= War simulator. Theyre different. Just because it has RPG elements doesnt mean you should compare both games. Both games are great but some people dont like Dark souls and some people dont like Skyrim. Just stop being noobs about it and just buy both like I Am. But I'd probably be playing more of Skyrim though since you can pretty much do anything..but If I want a break of Singleplayer I would go on and play some Dark souls.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Both, if you QUICKLY head over to IGN they are running at 24 hr playthrough...

Last I saw they had downed 5 bosses... and those sold the game for me.  It'll hold me off until Skyrim :-)

WTH are the odds the first 4 posters all joined the site within 4 days of each other?

• achenkovachenkov Member Posts: 2

Dark Souls doesn't just have good combat, the enemy and world design are unique unlike Skyrim's generic enemies and world. Further more, Dark Souls has the covenant system (basically a guild system) which effects gameplay by either having you side with a certain fraction so you get allies and don't fight certain enemies (because they're on your side) or giving you powerful spells and abilities. I hear convents even effect the ending and what bosses you face.

Skyrim? You can join all guilds and they have no effect on the story whatsoever. Combine this with Bethesda's mediocre storytelling and atrocious combat mechanics and Dark Souls wins.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Both games I have preordered and I've played their predecessors.  They're both going to be good in their own ways. 

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Dark Souls might be good game, but it lacks epic feeling and sandbox gameplay of Skyrim. And with hundreds of future Skyrim mods its not even close

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Dark Souls looks slightly interesting. 

But seriously if you are fantasy genre fan there's no question about getting Skyrim.   If you just like open world RPGs in general Skyrim is a must have.  Or if you just like games.  Period.  Even if you hate video games.....Skyrim is a must have.  

I seriously cant imagine anyone in their right mind saying, " Im gonna get Dark Souls because Skyrim sucks! ".  

Dead people will not be playing Skyrim.  And I feel sorry for them.  Im sure everyone else will be having a blast.  : P 

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

WTF dude! Dark Souls is a fucking console game! I wasted five minutes searching for it just to find that out. How can you compare Skyrim to a GD console game? Again WTF dude!

BTW the new Porsche is coming out soon. It's a bad ass car. Should I get that or the new Prius? They are both cars right, what in the world would be the difference.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• cdnironsidecdnironside Member Posts: 28

rofl @ noobs who think skyrim is a sandbox and then use it as an example of a difference between it and dark souls..  IF skyrim were a sandbox then dark souls would just as easily be considered one to but its not and neither of them are both games will have a very specific story line with tons of side quests.   open world does not equal sandbox.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by cdnironside

rofl @ noobs who think skyrim is a sandbox and then use it as an example of a difference between it and dark souls..  IF skyrim were a sandbox then dark souls would just as easily be considered one to but its not and neither of them are both games will have a very specific story line with tons of side quests.   open world does not equal sandbox.

One of the most stupid comments ive seen on mmorpg.com

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I actually just pre-ordered Dark Souls and cancelled Skyrim.

Originally posted by cdnironside

I got the impression Dark Souls was linear.  Maybe Im wrong. 

Regardless, I dont really want to play a sandbox that has nothing going on.  No quests, no objectives, etc.  Also does Skyrim count as a sandbox once you've completely done every single quest in the game?  And there's nothing else to do? 

Oh, and calling people "noobs" generally just gets you made fun off these days.  Thats really sort of 2000.  Its 2011.  Guess its okay if you're 12 though.  Which you probably are. 

Originally posted by Xzen

HAHAHAHAHA! 

Oh....were you being serious?  Oh......wow.....

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Dark Souls looks good but 100% will not be as deep of a game as Sygrim, ill play both and both will be fun but for a long term RPG Skygrim will leave darksouls in the dust...But Dark souls may be more fun to play through the storyline.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by Xzen

HAHAHAHAHA! 

Oh....were you being serious?  Oh......wow.....

Yup. But to be fair I'm on a budget and had to pick one or the other. I had a blast in Demon Souls so....

Edit: Skyrim looks great though and I would get it if I could. Probably will just later on.

• jnaismithjnaismith Member Posts: 2

The world in Skyrim has different architecture and feel in each area. Each part of Skyrim has a different Popular Race in Each town/city. One place can be completely covered in Snow, one place can be covered in Sand, and another could be completely high in the mountain ranges. Each town has a different sense of Culture to it.

And Skyrim DOES have a similiar system but is a bit more complex. There is a thing in Skyrim called a "manager" that basically tracks down what you do. If you work a lot people will recognize you as a hard worker and talk about you. They will even give you some jobs if they think your reliable enough. Another example is if you simply go out hunting and kill a few deer or cougars for their fur and meat. Vendors will offer you deals like...if you bring him cougar pelts weekly he will give you 10% off of his meat.

And joining a guild in Skyrim does have effects. Like if you join the Storm runners Guild many Other storm runners around Skyrim wont be agressive since your in their faction. And doing tasks for Guilds give you spells, abilities, armor, etc. How do I know this? I played Skyrim in Pax and I've gotten my information from the Elder scrolls wiki not USEP. And for the people that say that Wiki's are all lies every news post has a link to the article from reliable sources like IGN and Gaming magazines.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'm going with Skyrim first. I'll pick up Dark Souls when it drops in price a little.

• angelfire31angelfire31 Member Posts: 2

If we compare Demon's Souls to Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, Demon's Souls wins. Since Dark Souls is Demon's Souls but with more content, a bigger world and more mechanics, we know it will beat Skyrim. What does have TES have going for it? An open world? Dark Souls has a open world and so does Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur which release early next year. Now that TES isn't the only open world RPG, it has nothing to stand upon because the majority agree that TES combat sucks and if you expect the dialogue found in Bioware games like Dragon Age: Origins or Baldur's Gate, then you are sadly kidding yourself.

Yes, Demon's Souls didn't contain great in-depth dialogue with NPC's but there was much about them that you could learn which made them better than any character in a TES game. The only good character in TES was Martin Septim because Sean Bean voiced him. All the other characters (Dwermer character from Morrowind, Bandit from Daggerfall) are all forgettable in their names because they lacked depth.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by angelfire31

If we compare Demon's Souls to Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, Demon's Souls wins. Since Dark Souls is Demon's Souls but with more content, a bigger world and more mechanics, we know it will beat Skyrim. What does have TES have going for it? An open world? Dark Souls has a open world and so does Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur which release early next year. Now that TES isn't the only open world RPG, it has nothing to stand upon because the majority agree that TES combat sucks and if you expect the dialogue found in Bioware games like Dragon Age: Origins or Baldur's Gate, then you are sadly kidding yourself.

Yes, Demon's Souls didn't contain great in-depth dialogue with NPC's but there was much about them that you could learn which made them better than any character in a TES game. The only good character in TES was Martin Septim because Sean Bean voiced him. All the other characters (Dwermer character from Morrowind, Bandit from Daggerfall) are all forgettable in their names because they lacked depth.

Since when did I become we? Also, the majority? Where are you getting these statistics? You have your own opinion, but don't include "the majority." Oblivion and Demon Souls have pretty much the same ratings. Also, Skyrim has a HUGE advantage over Dark Souls. PC availability. But again, why do people continue to pair games against each other?

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by angelfire31

In my opinion, Demon's Souls (and most likely, Dark Souls) is a trial and error hack and slash game.  It's a 3D rendition of Ghosts and Goblins.  It's just a shy second cousin from closet scares that movies and games use, to me.

I'm not saying it's bad, because it's certainly a breath of fresh air (recycled air from a time since passed at the very least) but it lacks a certain quality that holds it back from being a torch bearer of a genre.

Also, yeah, as a few others have said; these two games aren't exactly similar enough to compare realistically when you get down to specifics.  I'd imagine it'll be worth playing them both.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Both

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'm definently looking forward to Dark Souls.

Im interested in Skyrim, but i'm going to wait a month or so before getting it, should give the community time to mod in things to undo some of the less appealing changes Bethesda is making to the game.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by achenkov

Dark Souls doesn't just have good combat, the enemy and world design are unique unlike Skyrim's generic enemies and world. Further more, Dark Souls has the covenant system (basically a guild system) which effects gameplay by either having you side with a certain fraction so you get allies and don't fight certain enemies (because they're on your side) or giving you powerful spells and abilities. I hear convents even effect the ending and what bosses you face.

Skyrim? You can join all guilds and they have no effect on the story whatsoever. Combine this with Bethesda's mediocre storytelling and atrocious combat mechanics and Dark Souls wins.

Darksouls is linear where skryim is open world. when playing darksouls i feel like im playing a console game whereas skyrim makes you feel you are in a living breathing world, skyrim is better bang for your buck.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Both, but I have an amazing time with Dark Souls. I don't know what it is about the game but it just clicks with me. You can watch the 24h livestream IGN has up. It's good times to own a console imo.