Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: 75% Off on Steam -- Today Only!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

If you've been on the fence about Trion Worlds' fantasy MMORPG, RIFT, you might want to check out today's deal on Steam where the game is now on sale for 75% off, bringing the price down to an affordable $7.50.

This latest deal coincides with the launch of RIFT update 1.5: Ashes of History, which adds some major new features to the game, including post-level cap advancement, a new Warfront, Veteran Rewards, and more.

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Last push before going F2P?

• ciidciid Member UncommonPosts: 184

Free to play by 2013.Unless the mayons were right.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Doubt it, patch 1.5 just came out today its a way to encourage more people to enjoy the new content.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Played the trial, enjoyed it.

Didn't purchase it because I have too many games waiting for me on Steam/PS3 that are pretty much left untouched while some MMO drains all my free gaming time. And then Steam does this with me... simply had to purchase it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Time for a South Park episode.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

everyone should buy it, then go to Byriel server!

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

yawn.. pass.. thanks for the info though.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

thats why i love steam....- kick ass special offers....

i bought alpha protocol for 2 bucks last week lol (didnt like it tho)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ciid

I wouldn't use this to prove anything. A one day only, think fast deal can actually get you a lot of players and it is the monthly fees that earns you the cash anyways, at least in the long run.

Rifts F2P or not 2013 depends a lot on the games releasing the next 14 months, if TOR or GW2 can take a chunk of the playerbase that is surely a possibility (or any other game releasing the nxt 14 months for that matter).

Rift is still doing pretty well even if it isn't the next Wow as some people hoped. Of course it is doing rather similar to LOTRO a year after release so F2P is surely a possibility.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by kishe

dont think so... steam always make awesome discounts with many games.... but hey, it'd be nice to see it f2p along with lots of other p2p titles as well

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by kishe

Oh god,...

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

that's a sweet deal. For anyone who is lacking something to play right now, I'd say grab it. RIFT is a solid game, very polished and lots of fun.

Highly doubt it will head down the F2P path any time soon. This game is very worth the sub right now, IMO.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

10 bucks for collecters edition with free month sub? That's a decent deal. It annoyed me that they always went with 10 bucks and no free month before.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by ciid

I dont thinks so. I already left one game because it went to stupid F2P (LOTRO) im not leaving this as well.

Who are these mayons you speak of?

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Hehe, purchased the digital whatever for 6,25E.

Not a fan of the game, but what the hell? Worth logging in every once in a while for a month :P

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Hrmmmm, that low of a cost I might really consider this even if it just sits shelved awhile before I get to it.  Thanks for headsup.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Can anyone enlighten me how this steam thing works? I have never bought a game there.

Do i have to install/play/patch etc via Steam or do i get a regular cd key as is in the box, to use it with the standalone" client i can download on Trion's page?

Thought about getting Rift until weekend, but dont wanna get handcuffed by Steam.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Trion have been very shrewd with their marketing all along. Good for them.

This latest deal seems to be an attempt to try to offset the loss in subs/players they are sure to be expecting when the original '6 month' subs don't renew.

• MarajhaMarajha Member Posts: 22

Well, they got me... with 2 and a half monts untill SWTOR i just thought, 5€ its a nice price to keep me busy for at least a month, good marketing for them if they thought about all the people that are in the same state as i am, bored and waiting for SWTOR and/or Gw2. Just tell me im not the only one falling for their tricks...

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by jacklo

This latest deal seems to be an attempt to try to offset the loss in subs/players they are sure to be expecting when the original '6 month' subs don't renew.

They must be very optimistic then, if they expect a 24-hour sale from one digital retailer will help offset the lost subscriptions from all the initial sales.

Regarding Steam, you are free to download it from the official Rift website. You can get it from Steam but it's extremely slow (been downloading it at 100 kb/s right now, while Trion's patcher allows me to use my full 1 mbps speed), though I did download it over three weeks ago.

Steam doesn't seem to give you the full download, at least it only asked me for around 150 MB space before I copy-pasted my original client on the steam Rift folder. It's still downloading a bit, though, so I'm just playing outside of Steam.

Anyway, what you want is to right-click the game on the library and click on "View game CD key" so you can create your account/upgrade your trial account from the Trion website. You also don't have to use it right now either, in case you want to play the trial first so you don't start using the 30 days right away.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by VoIgore

Can anyone enlighten me how this steam thing works? I have never bought a game there.

Do i have to install/play/patch etc via Steam or do i get a regular cd key as is in the box, to use it with the standalone" client i can download on Trion's page?

Thought about getting Rift until weekend, but dont wanna get handcuffed by Steam.

It depends I think, as far as patching through steam. 

For instance, I bought Fallen Earth like eight months ago when there was a sale for it on Steam.  I already had the trial version of FE from their website installed.  I just took the key that Steam gave me, went to FE account management, entered the key, and had a paid account.  Just logged into my already installed version, no steam needed. 

The cd key is available through steam, but you might not necessarily need to play the game through steam.  If you do, yeah, the patching usually happens through Steam.  Steam kind of sucks for MMO's, however if Trion account management has  a place to enter your cd keys, you wont need steam.

I bought the CE version of Rift in January for 60 bucks.  That's quite a fast price drop.  Usually takes a bit longer.  They are just trying to get some more money before SWTOR comes out :)

• MarajhaMarajha Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by EricDanie

They must be very optimistic then, if they expect a 24-hour sale from one digital retailer will help offset the lost subscriptions from all the initial sales.

Regarding Steam, you are free to download it from the official Rift website. You can get it from Steam but it's extremely slow (been downloading it at 100 kb/s right now, while Trion's patcher allows me to use my full 1 mbps speed), though I did download it over three weeks ago.

Steam doesn't seem to give you the full download, at least it only asked me for around 150 MB space before I copy-pasted my original client on the steam Rift folder. It's still downloading a bit, though, so I'm just playing outside of Steam.

Anyway, what you want is to right-click the game on the library and click on "View game CD key" so you can create your account/upgrade your trial account from the Trion website. You also don't have to use it right now either, in case you want to play the trial first so you don't start using the 30 days right away.

"You also don't have to use it right now either, in case you want to play the trial first so you don't start using the 30 days right away."

Almost forgot. Thanks a lot, got me 7 extra days.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Thank you VERY much, that was just the info i was looking for. :)

*Edit: bought it, but clicking "CD KEY" gives me "cant connect to key server" :/

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

They already have a free trial, other than the 'Steam' deal they don't have many other options apart from giving the game away.

It's surely not coincidence that patch 1.5 and the new deal come 'just at the right time'. It's an attempt to bolster new subs and try to keep the long standing 6 month accounts. Admirable tactics.

It's a good deal, particularly for new players. For me, 1.5 didn't do enough for PvP to keep my interest at this point.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다