Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The question often asked, "Why do I bother posting about MO?"

2»

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

let me see if i understand this thread correctly.

This thread is about what have been beated to death in other threads for months on end, and you just whant to sum it up all in the same thread to keep the beating alive?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by osmunda

What is so perplexing is not the fact that people criticize MO, but the amount of time some people devote to doing so.

Personally I spend very little time responding to the advertising blurb posted by members of Henrik's well documented viral campaign. Hopefully enough to keep people from being suckered into paying money to SV though, and that is my purpose. When SV folds as a company or stops using untruths (Population is rising!) I will stop.

In case you feel the need to report this post, I can provide evidence from Henrik himself that the main advertising strategy for MO is viral marketing, so there is nothing in this post worthy of reporting as it is indisputable fact.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by kakasaki

What it an acceptable time to spend online criticizing a game? Is there some type of standard? Who appointed you the arbiter of what is an acceptable amount of complaining? Why do you care?  Also, most of your argument seems to be an ad hominem attack on the OP. Does it matter how much time he spends posting against MO? Or the length of time since the perceived wrong occurred? What about his claims of “shady” dealings by SV? Do they have merit?

Just wondering…

I do not set myself up as an arbiter of acceptable behavior.  I posted that the amount of time some people spend on criticizing a game they abandoned long ago is "perplexing" (i.e.  I don't understand the motivation) not that it is wrong.  I named the other forums as examples of what is more typical behavior on a forum.  Other forums have people posting that they played the game for 2 weeks and didn't enjoy it. This forum has people digging up posts from other forums and saying "Look, someone else played this game for 2 weeks and didn't like the game" http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/328142/New-Players-Opinion.html

I don't understand how my post is an ad hominem attack.  Perhaps you could point out where I was discussing a specific person instead of a behavior?

One thing that is clear, Mortal Online has a larger number of critics who post on Mortal Online to the exclusion of commenting on other games.  Generally when people don't enjoy an activity (e.g. Mortal Online), they find a different activity (e.g. a different MMO). It's certainly possible they have moved on to a different MMO, but if so, those people rarely comment on the MMO they are playing.  Even many of the people accused of being mouthpieces for Starvault frequently post on other forums more frequently than some of the avid critics. (World of Darkness, Dawntide, Archeage, and Darkfall if you want to look for the posts). For those that don't refer to Loke666's post above.

As to the "shady" dealings, the OP was something along the lines of a list of grievances, so addressing all of them would make for a very jumbled thread.  If you care to single out a specific complaint, feel free to make a thread about that one issue.  Since one did get a little more attention than the others (especially considering slapshot's comments) here is the original discussion...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/284437/General-Auto-Subscription-Discussion.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/284434/Autosubscription-billed.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/284646/StarVault-is-billing-any-closed-accountsact-of-fraud.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/284466/Ninja-Billing-of-PreOrders-has-begun.html

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Feel for you OP.

I was instructed to subscribe so I could have an account so I could order the disk.  Subscription expired by the time disk arrived.  I had to resubscribe.  Game wouldn't install.  Was told just to download. 

Why the heck did I order the disk if I wanted to just download? 

Download took three days.  The information is not packeted, so it cannot be interrrupted, or else it might become corrupted and not run. 

Play the game for a while.  I get into a cool guild and have some fun. 

Go away for a bit and receive the "Subscription has Expired" email.  I shrug.  No biggie, didn't like the game that much anyway.  I check the not renewing box. And then I get billed for a renewal. 

Yeah, they got me for six months of subscriptions and I played for a month.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by Hluill

Feel for you OP.

I was instructed to subscribe so I could have an account so I could order the disk.  Subscription expired by the time disk arrived.  I had to resubscribe.  Game wouldn't install.  Was told just to download. 

Why the heck did I order the disk if I wanted to just download? 

Download took three days.  The information is not packeted, so it cannot be interrrupted, or else it might become corrupted and not run. 

Play the game for a while.  I get into a cool guild and have some fun. 

Go away for a bit and receive the "Subscription has Expired" email.  I shrug.  No biggie, didn't like the game that much anyway.  I check the not renewing box. And then I get billed for a renewal. 

Yeah, they got me for six months of subscriptions and I played for a month.

You should get a chargeback on the 6 months you did not agree to.  And this is what a lot of us here are talking about.  There has been multiple billing fiascos.  Bizzy on the forums was talking about how he just noticed he has been being billed for 6 momths when he canceled his membership (in the political forums)  

How many people has this happened to?  And like I have said before how many people are now getting billed when they shouldn't be and do not notice?  Or the couple of times they multiple billed people how many of them did not notice so they did not complain and get a chargeback?

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by LifeNO

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

I can speak only for myself here, but the question in the title has been asked many times by supporters of this game who come here often to defend it from people like myself.

It's been a while since MO was released, and in the beginning I basically thought it was a terrible game and would have been happy to leave it at that. I didn't care to play it, I knew how poorly it was developed early on because of conversations in IRC I had with Henrik, leaving me with the early (and later proven) idea that this guy has no idea what the hell he is doing. I got glimpses into the code thru hex editors and spy programs because of them touting "We have hack protection!" (they don't), and found a lot of stuff written in Swedish.

But that's irrelvant, honestly. It was, and continues to be, a crappy game that barely plays. But if that was all, I wouldn't bother posting about it. And since people continually ask the question to myself and others, I figure I'll at least explain why I continue to bother. In short, because Henrik and SV are lying, cheating, unethical thieves. Allow me to explain.

When MO was first coming out, there was a pre-order system that you would buy the game from. This was intended for people who wanted the box and CD, some type of memorabilia to commemorate the game as well as have access on day one. I bought the game this way, and so did quite a few of my friends. After playing the beta and realizing that the game was terrible, I figured okay, I'm not going to bother with subbing because it was an atrocious game, and since they didn't ever send me my box after months of waiting, I finally decided to reverse payment on my credit card. I got my money back, and so did several of my friends, for a product that was never delivered in a reasonable timeframe.

However, unbeknownst to most of us, SV retained our credit card numbers without our permission, and used them to enroll us ALL into the game subscription. We never signed up to subscribe, and there was nothing about subscribing in the purchase of the box. All it was, was simply a purchase of a box, a physical product, and shipping. And now, here I was enrolled into subscribing without my consent. No big deal, I informed my credit card company and made sure to uncheck the subscription on the site (because I wasn't sure if it would work). However, several of my friends were in the military, and deployed to Iraq, or Afghanistan. And as such, they were not informed of being enrolled into the subscription at all. When I finally got around to getting a hold of them, SV had managed to charge quite a bit of money onto their credit cards without their consent, and they were having a hard time getting their money back through the credit card company as well. SV literally stole money from them without their consent.

It is for this reason alone that I continue to explain what SV is, and how they act. They have continued the unethical and lying behavior in almost every "patch" thus far, promising the world, delivering a broken and shoddy result. They have double billed customers, or even triple billed. And if there's another opportunity for them to put a bunch of money into their pocket at the expense of their users while they are about to die off (and I think it is well on its way), they will do it. And my goal in continuing to talk about SV's misdeeds and ineptitude and lack of ethics, is to draw attention to this, so that people will not be taken advantage of again.

If SV wants to publicly refund the money of all the money they stole however, I will be happy to call it quits, but I very much doubt they will. Anyway, this is really meant to answer the perpetual question about "why do I bother posting", so enjoy.

Lol I read your post like this:

I got riped off when SV they took my money from my account , but after getting my money back and nearly a year later , I am still engaged in a war of hate because I have no life and they pissed me off a year ago so I will keep posting and not, you know go outside and talk to people and find other things to interest me.

Your hate entertains me.

I thought my life was boring but after seeing this post, hell I guess it could be worse, I could get hung up on a non issue and waste my time posting on a game I dont even like

yay to you

Sadly if you notice, the vast majority of my posts are during working hours in the US. If I'm at work, I might post here, otherwise I'm busy doing other things in my life. The time I spend is really just entertainment away from work, so your trolling is greatly appreciated.

As for being pissed off -- yes, that's true. I am pissed off that companies like this get away with behavior like this. I am amazed they don't get caught, but the problem is you have a relatively small playerbase they are ripping off, and the only thing I'm doing by posting here is a public service announcement into how unethically they operate. If you have a problem with that, I can understand, because the only way SV has survived as long as it has is by using the unethical methods of business they have, and once that is totally taken away, the game will falter and fade away. Just like Mourning or Dark and Light.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I can speak only for myself here, but the question in the title has been asked many times by supporters of this game who come here often to defend it from people like myself.

It's been a while since MO was released, and in the beginning I basically thought it was a terrible game and would have been happy to leave it at that. I didn't care to play it, I knew how poorly it was developed early on because of conversations in IRC I had with Henrik, leaving me with the early (and later proven) idea that this guy has no idea what the hell he is doing. I got glimpses into the code thru hex editors and spy programs because of them touting "We have hack protection!" (they don't), and found a lot of stuff written in Swedish.

But that's irrelvant, honestly. It was, and continues to be, a crappy game that barely plays. But if that was all, I wouldn't bother posting about it. And since people continually ask the question to myself and others, I figure I'll at least explain why I continue to bother. In short, because Henrik and SV are lying, cheating, unethical thieves. Allow me to explain.

When MO was first coming out, there was a pre-order system that you would buy the game from. This was intended for people who wanted the box and CD, some type of memorabilia to commemorate the game as well as have access on day one. I bought the game this way, and so did quite a few of my friends. After playing the beta and realizing that the game was terrible, I figured okay, I'm not going to bother with subbing because it was an atrocious game, and since they didn't ever send me my box after months of waiting, I finally decided to reverse payment on my credit card. I got my money back, and so did several of my friends, for a product that was never delivered in a reasonable timeframe.

However, unbeknownst to most of us, SV retained our credit card numbers without our permission, and used them to enroll us ALL into the game subscription. We never signed up to subscribe, and there was nothing about subscribing in the purchase of the box. All it was, was simply a purchase of a box, a physical product, and shipping. And now, here I was enrolled into subscribing without my consent. No big deal, I informed my credit card company and made sure to uncheck the subscription on the site (because I wasn't sure if it would work). However, several of my friends were in the military, and deployed to Iraq, or Afghanistan. And as such, they were not informed of being enrolled into the subscription at all. When I finally got around to getting a hold of them, SV had managed to charge quite a bit of money onto their credit cards without their consent, and they were having a hard time getting their money back through the credit card company as well. SV literally stole money from them without their consent.

It is for this reason alone that I continue to explain what SV is, and how they act. They have continued the unethical and lying behavior in almost every "patch" thus far, promising the world, delivering a broken and shoddy result. They have double billed customers, or even triple billed. And if there's another opportunity for them to put a bunch of money into their pocket at the expense of their users while they are about to die off (and I think it is well on its way), they will do it. And my goal in continuing to talk about SV's misdeeds and ineptitude and lack of ethics, is to draw attention to this, so that people will not be taken advantage of again.

If SV wants to publicly refund the money of all the money they stole however, I will be happy to call it quits, but I very much doubt they will. Anyway, this is really meant to answer the perpetual question about "why do I bother posting", so enjoy.

I got riped off when SV they took my money from my account , but after getting my money back and nearly a year later , I am still engaged in a war of hate because I have no life and they pissed me off a year ago so I will keep posting and not, you know go outside and talk to people and find other things to interest me.

Your hate entertains me.

I thought my life was boring but after seeing this post, hell I guess it could be worse, I could get hung up on a non issue and waste my time posting on a game I dont even like

yay to you

Sadly if you notice, the vast majority of my posts are during working hours in the US. If I'm at work, I might post here, otherwise I'm busy doing other things in my life. The time I spend is really just entertainment away from work, so your trolling is greatly appreciated.

As for being pissed off -- yes, that's true. I am pissed off that companies like this get away with behavior like this. I am amazed they don't get caught, but the problem is you have a relatively small playerbase they are ripping off, and the only thing I'm doing by posting here is a public service announcement into how unethically they operate. If you have a problem with that, I can understand, because the only way SV has survived as long as it has is by using the unethical methods of business they have, and once that is totally taken away, the game will falter and fade away. Just like Mourning or Dark and Light.

You left out the part where way back in the beginning of MO you were going to make the new web site or something along those lines.  The company decided to go another route and pretty much kicked you to the dirt.  Since then you carry around this hate and spew it to whomever will take the time to read it.

Yes, I remember you quite well .........

Regardless, MO is poo.

~Hairysun

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by Hairysun

Your hate entertains me.

yay to you

You left out the part where way back in the beginning of MO you were going to make the new web site or something along those lines.  The company decided to go another route and pretty much kicked you to the dirt.  Since then you carry around this hate and spew it to whomever will take the time to read it.

Regardless, MO is poo.

~Hairysun

Actually no, I just put up a bugtracker on a separate site showing how much effort it would take (all of about a half hour), because they had NO bugtracker at the time. I was the one who motivated them to have one at all, though, lot of good it did them... lol.

Henrik wanted me to set up their entire website, and I refused unless he was willing to pay for my time. I guess he just found other saps to do that kind of stuff for free. Lucky him.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Hairysun

Your hate entertains me.

yay to you

Regardless, MO is poo.

~Hairysun

Actually no, I just put up a bugtracker on a separate site showing how much effort it would take (all of about a half hour), because they had NO bugtracker at the time. I was the one who motivated them to have one at all, though, lot of good it did them... lol.

Henrik wanted me to set up their entire website, and I refused unless he was willing to pay for my time. I guess he just found other saps to do that kind of stuff for free. Lucky him.

Mortal Online excuse # 4,354,671,390 -  People do not like this game becuse they were either former employees, were regected to be an employee or were banned from the game.

Its so interesting that there is so much negativity surrounding this game but there is always an explanation ready which (surprise) has nothing to do with shady buisness practices or the inability to make a game work.

Even the whole fiasco of SV claiming that its illegal to work weekends in Swedon (when people complain that the server is down all weekend) - It is clearly shown there is NO LAW and the bots just quit comenting on that thread (pretend it does not exist) and move on to attack from another angle.

SV is inept and shady. Period. Its not that people dont like sandbox games, are not "hardcore" enough, have not been banned, are not "butthurt" that they were looted, etc. etc. etc.

Its SV. SV. SV. SV.

there is no excuse.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please follow the Rules of Conduct when posting guys. Do not personally attack or bait other users.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by osmunda

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/01/the-daily-grind-do-you-complain-about-games-you-dont-play/

Thanks for the "invite" but I don't think people need an article to get them to compmain about MO...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• loradoveloradove Member UncommonPosts: 62

This has gone somewhat off topic, let's get back to Op's thoughts and concerns.

Additionally, discussing moderating activities on the forums are not permitted. You can reach MikeB at [email protected] if you wish to provide feedback on moderation.