Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher 2 Devs "Don’t Like To See Gamers Treated Like Dairy Cows"

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

CD Projekt RED development director Adam Badowski expressed his disdain for the mercenary attitude many publishers take toward DLC in an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The Polish company is talking the talk – "We don’t see the idea [of paid DLC] as wrong, but we definitely don’t like to see gamers treated like dairy cows that are primed for milking," Badowski declared – after walking the walk with its exemplary post-release support for both The Witcher and its sequel, including the huge 2.0 patch coming to The Witcher 2 tomorrow.

Badowski's comments on DLC are music to the ears of gamers who find themselves paying $80 or more to unlock everything in their games. "We’re not only in this industry to make games, we’re also here to do business. But we shouldn’t look at it exclusively from the latter angle," he said. "If you only think about the business in terms of the money it can generate, I think you could come awfully close to forcing players to buy something additional in order to enjoy fully a game they just bought."

Badowski also noted that all PC DLC for The Witcher 2 will remain free, but Xbox players won't be so lucky "because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed." So you know where to direct any future frothy rage at having to pay for something that someone else gets for free.

The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I've played in years, and the 360 version scheduled for early next year is looking honestly fantastic. And with comments like these from the developers, I can't help but pull for them to find even more success than the "slightly above expectations" that Badowski classified Witcher 2 sales as.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/28/witcher-2-devs-quot-don-t-like-to-see-gamers-treated-like-dairy-cows-quot.aspx

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

If they put out a game that intrests me I will support this company with my buisness.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Thats a wonderful stance for a developer to take.  Good for them.  About time somone in the industry said something like that.   Im thinking of actually buying the Witcher and the Witcher 2 at this point.  I have a feeling Ive been missing out. 

On a side note, Ive just about had it with Microsoft and the Xbox 360.   They make shoddy consoles that break down but cost an arm and a leg, they charge to play games online, and they seem bound and determined to nickle and dime gamers every chance they get.    Ive had my 360 for 6 years and just recently got the red rings of death.  I got the thing working again after researching some tricks online but rapping a console in a bunch of towels just to get it working again is just stupid. 

Think Im going to be a PC and PS3 guy from now on.   Thanks for the ride Microsoft, but you're just no longer worth it. 

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

CD Projekt guys are kinda awesome all-around. Fact they essentially went behind their publisher's back to remove the DRM from retail version of the game, and got sued for it by NAMCO, is amazing in its own right. It's also sad that 360 players will have to pay for stuff because Micro$oft charges for every update after the 1st one.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

That is really refreshing to hear.

DLC and Pre-order bonuses are really getting out of hand, some games are even planning to release with Day 1 DLC available (why the **** wasn't it just included in the game??).. It's at the point that they instantly change my decision to buy new games for full price, and sometimes not to buy them at all.

Personally i'm finding Pre-Orders are becoming just as/even more intrusive as DLC. It's taking over and stepping into to add upon what DLC can do in some cases, which is removing parts of the game to be sold later.

Now not only are some things being removed from the initial game for DLC purposes, they are also doing the same for Pre-Order bonuses..

The most recent outrage for me had to do with NFS:Shift 2. It's pre-order was an extra 40 racing events. After playing/beating the game without those, it was plain to see that they were originally intended to be part of the game, it was just far too short and lacked many of the different types of events that were available in those "extra" 40.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I really respect CDProjekt for how great they treat their customers comparing to what most other game companies do.

My PC is not good enough to run Witcher 2 yet , BUT I am uppgrading soon and I had not forgotten about this game and I WILL buy legitimated copy of it as soon as I uppgrade my PC.

Would buy XboX360 version but I dont have Xbox :/

Actually I think I will limit my video gaming hobby dramatically , and play only games made by companies that treat their consumer fair like CDProjetkt is doing.

I will miss alot of games , but there are others things to do in life , and lately nickle & diming and greed is so big in gaming industry it is making me wanna puke and I won't accept it anymore , because If not I will lose any self-respect I still have left.