Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Continuing Our Reform Work

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Andriasang is reporting that during a press event yesterday, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada spoke about upcoming titles currently in development and, simultaneously, offered a few thoughts about Final Fantasy XIV.

Square Enix has been implementing fixes for FFXIV since earlier this year. Said Wada about the fixes, "We'll continue with our reform work, which basically amounts to fully redoing the game, and hope to revive the FFXIV that should have been released."

The latest patch for Final Fantasy XIV is expected to be released on October 4th as the team continues, as Wada said, the "reform" of the game.

FFXIV continues to be subscription free as the dev team works to respond to player concerns and to improve features that were considered poorly implemented at launch. The community remains split as to how successful the reform has been.

Thanks to Torvac for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

I love you Square Enix, but... never again.  

Sorry...

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

You know what I hate to see, all this effort they are putting into this and the game still shuts down. This will be really really terrible for SE. But I can SO see this happening. I just can't see how will this title compete against TOR, GW2, Tera and all the other new titles we are expecting to play in 2012. And another those many of the titles to be released in 2012 are geared SPECIFICALLY at west, at US. Not to say the companies are situated in US....

• DzarkyDzarky Member UncommonPosts: 10

Game does not even run anymore. All I get is Not working error when I try to update. It used to work fine a couple of months ago. I did not change anything on my PC, no driver changes ????

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Lol. My accounts security was apparantly compromised. Not that I play the game I just wanted to see how it was now. You know its bad when you don't even give a hoot that your account is gone.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Game runs fine for me, most likely a driver needing to be updated, they may have updated something on thier end and it now requires a newer driver version or something. (Just a thought)

And the updates are improving the game, it still needs more improvments, but what they have done has helped. Looking forward to Oct. 4th

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

So they are doing an NGE but instead of doing it in one shot like SWG they doing it over several years ? 

• SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

It's actually more like they're developing the game, from the bottom up, while people are still playing it.

So.... actually somehow worse than NGE...  lol

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

FFXIV is in unique position, It's only MMO ever to have its whole dev team from top to bottom fired and new one taken in to fix the mess.

Reading devs messages on the official forums, it's apparent they're neck deep in poop because of the past team...the devs are openly saying they've been up against trashing whole systems and rewriting them from root to tip because the original system was simply unrepairable.

Would have been easier to just shut this one down and start working on FFXIV-2

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Why didn't you post  a transcript of the press event, and talk about all of the great things they're adding in the future?  I'll tell you why.  Because you and all of your writers hate FF XIV, and the level of bias is beyond the pale.  Beyond the pale I say!  

(sorry I had to after reading some of the comments from the news sections about FF XIV over the last couple of days)

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

It's just going to be terrible if they put all this effort into it and it still stinks.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Why didn't you post  a transcript of the press event, and talk about all of the great things they're adding in the future?  I'll tell you why.  Because you and all of your writers hate FF XIV, and the level of bias is beyond the pale.  Beyond the pale I say!  

(sorry I had to after reading some of the comments from the news sections about FF XIV over the last couple of days)

So you want to let a developer off the hook so to say because they are trying to improve a game that should never have been released?

This might be a good game someday and it is great the developer is currently not charging for it, but let's face it, it still has so many things wrong with it that it would take several pages to list them.  I have two very dear friends that have played FFXI from it's inception who continue to play that game because of how bad FFXIV is, even if FXIV is currently free.

Developers should not be given a free pass because they are trying to fix a game that was in pre alpha stage at release.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by kishe

FFXIV is in unique position, It's only MMO ever to have its whole dev team from top to bottom fired and new one taken in to fix the mess.

Reading devs messages on the official forums, it's apparent they're neck deep in poop because of the past team...the devs are openly saying they've been up against trashing whole systems and rewriting them from root to tip because the original system was simply unrepairable.

Rewriting is frequently the correct way to this type of problem.  It's like trying to fix a bad puzzle using part from another puzzle to repair software that is flawed at it's core.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Ozmodan

So you want to let a developer off the hook so to say because they are trying to improve a game that should never have been released?

This might be a good game someday and it is great the developer is currently not charging for it, but let's face it, it still has so many things wrong with it that it would take several pages to list them.  I have two very dear friends that have played FFXI from it's inception who continue to play that game because of how bad FFXIV is, even if FXIV is currently free.

Developers should not be given a free pass because they are trying to fix a game that was in pre alpha stage at release.

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't come off very well when typed.  I was mainly being a smartass due to some of the comments from news stories over the last couple of days complaining that (even though the author linked to the article they were referring to and was just trying to bring the story some attention) mmorpg.com should have listed everything that was discussed in the article rather than just linking to it.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I honestly feel sorry for this game... Such a great beginning, CGI movies, great atmosphere around the game, and then beta comes out.. OUCH and then they RELEASE it OUCH OUCH! And then people fired, the whole mess breaks lose. They should have just done restructuring and postponed the game like normal companies do. Its just a bad mess in SE, bad mess. I feel sorry for them. Company is too big I think they can't control what games are being developer and the most importantly HOW they are being developed.

I don't know what to expect, but I only expect the worst for this game. You can't let people play for free, and finish the game from the horrendous state in a matter of 1-2 years and then while people are playing finally say - OK WE HAVE FINISHED THE GAME NOW WE WILL CHARGE you 15$ a month. A lot of people will think to themselves - hmm I think I've got out of this game all I needed, sayonara.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by Ozmodan

"Developer should not be given a free pass"

They were ALL FIRED, what exactly about that falls into the "Free Pass" area? The folks that run the company did the only things they could do in this case, fire the people that failed at their asigned task, not charge the customer for the product since it did/does not meet the standard the company and customers expect and bring in new people and task them with raising the level of the product up to the required/desired standard.

I can just see you guys now... walking back up to the counter at the burger joint....

You: "This burger was not prepared right, I am NOT HAPPY!"

Manager: "I am sooo sorry this happened, we pride ourself on providing the best product there is, and this certainly falls short of that! I am furious!... One moment please while I take care of this for you"

Manager to cook: "This is simply unacceptable, we here at burger joint have a long history of creating the finest burgers anywhere, I am sorry, but YOUR FIRED!! In fact, your entire cooking team is FIRED!!"

Manager to you: "Please forgive me, I have fired the people involved with the preperation of this dissaster, also, while I have our brand new cook prepare you a new burger, please enjoy all you can eat fries until your burger is complete, I know its not what you wanted, but we will have that to you as soon as its ready"

You to Manager: "No!!! I want them all executed and I want this burger joint closed down!!! infact... I want you executed as well, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That about sums it up I think.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

All they're doing now is cloning FFXI because that's all they knew that worked.  They are not trying in any way to polish the unique features FFXIV had.

That is the reason i stopped playing this game.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by DAOWAce

All they're doing now is cloning FFXI because that's all they knew that worked.  They are not trying in any way to polish the unique features FFXIV had.

That is the reason i stopped playing this game.

Not trying to bash the game, but I'm curious which unique features? Mind sharing a bit?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by reanor

I honestly feel sorry for this game... Such a great beginning, CGI movies, great atmosphere around the game, and then beta comes out.. OUCH and then they RELEASE it OUCH OUCH! And then people fired, the whole mess breaks lose. They should have just done restructuring and postponed the game like normal companies do. Its just a bad mess in SE, bad mess. I feel sorry for them. Company is too big I think they can't control what games are being developer and the most importantly HOW they are being developed.

I don't know what to expect, but I only expect the worst for this game. You can't let people play for free, and finish the game from the horrendous state in a matter of 1-2 years and then while people are playing finally say - OK WE HAVE FINISHED THE GAME NOW WE WILL CHARGE you 15$ a month. A lot of people will think to themselves - hmm I think I've got out of this game all I needed, sayonara.

That is exactly what is gonna happen tho.

By the time SE thinks this game will be in a finished state, so many new titles will have been released (SW:TOR, GW2, TSW, etc, etc) that most people will be done and bored with the game and move away, when they suddenly have to start paying.

The only reason there still actually is a population on the servers, is because the game is buy to play (you only have to buy the box).

And like someone else already said... the fact that they are basically turning this game more and more into FFXI 2.0 is even more stupid!

If they want to do that, then I think it's a hell lot cheaper and more efficient to do a Graphics overhaul on FFXI and just stick to that game.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I wanted to love this game and bought the CE at launch, it was clear though right from the beginning the game was unfinished so I uninstalled it 4 days later. Complete waste of time and money. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

The day they stop using crysta with paypal and allow credit cards I will sub and play.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Originally posted by kishe

They didn't fire whole team. they changed like 5 people (those who were making decisions) and they simply moved to different projects. Tanaka went back to FF XI.