Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RTS games....the end of the them?...

xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

the last RTS i played was Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends........now looks like starcraft II was the last of a really series of awesome games that were popular this last years, games like Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Starcraft, Warcraft, Warhammer, Rise of Nations......havent seen other game that satisfies my needs of strategic combat......are RTS dead or what?, this year only see news about FPS, RPGs, adventure games and MMOs.....what happened?

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

League of legend maybe? try it.

RTS had reach a whole new level with this game. Did you lived under a rock ? image

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

i dont like MOBA games......never catched up with DoTA.....

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I play quite a bit of Dawn of War 2. 

Imo its one of the best RTS on the market only slightly behind SC2.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by xaritscin

the last RTS i played was Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends........now looks like starcraft II was the last of a really series of awesome games that were popular this last years, games like Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Starcraft, Warcraft, Warhammer, Rise of Nations......havent seen other game that satisfies my needs of strategic combat......are RTS dead or what?, this year only see news about FPS, RPGs, adventure games and MMOs.....what happened?

Google MOBA or Action RTS. You'll find plenty of what you are looking for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

i mean RTS like the old school, not this new shit DoTA based....

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

There have been plenty of rts to come out recently. The problem is most of them are small time indie companies. Not that many big AAA companies have really made RTS games, so they just stick to their FPS/RPG games.

MMORPG sister site http://www.rtsguru.com/games/ has a nice list of rts games, and you can see most games that came out the last year or so there.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Ity seems about the time some RTS companies decided to do away with base building and asset managment, RTS's died for me. Though actually I feel they actually died a bit earlier when the "scout rush" crowd got their way in DoW 1 and unit hard caps sung the death knell of long battes.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 coming out soon

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

I am with you OP, I don't get the whole MOBA, RPGish RTS scene. I want my RTS to depend on how well I can manager my economy, base locations, unit combinations, strategies, and terrain a lot more then how well I can micro a single unit around the field.

Originally posted by Urza123

I am with you OP, I don't get the whole MOBA, RPGish RTS scene. I want my RTS to depend on how well I can manager my economy, base locations, unit combinations, strategies, and terrain a lot more then how well I can micro a single unit around the field.

that's what i mean, okai Warcraft made a good job putting some RPG elements on the gameplay with the Heroe thing, but i miss games more detailed, like AoE, i loved Rise of Legends because it was pretty original, still with a game system similar to that of Rise of Nations but its campaign, its civilizations, its maps, all was really good concept...

y cannot find the RTS in this new games, except for Starcraft II

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

RTS?  I'm more into the older stuff.

For early RTS gaming at its height and most pure, the first Starcraft game from Blizzard (good 'ol, old school Blizzard) is a good choice.

Relic's Dawn of War?  I have both but I prefer the larger scope of DoW1 than DoW2.  DoW2 looks beautiful, but the smaller scale fights aren't my thing and the lack of custom badges and banners was a big turnoff.  Imperial Guard Baneblades are an awesome sight to behold in DoW1.

Another Relic title, Company of Heroes, is outstanding.  Personally, I play the Blitzkrieg Mod for it.  CoH offered a bunch of innovations within the RTS genre also.  Different upgrade trees for whatever "faction" of a country you play.  Unit veterancy (not the first to do it, IIRC, but unit experience in RTS games are rare), and most of all, supply chains with capture points.  You can cut off / scale back an opponent(s)' resource accumulation rate if you capture points in the rear areas and "cut them off" from the rest of his territories.  Gives great use to players that are mobile or use airborne / glider infantry.  Especially if playing multiplayer teams.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Eh. I have Sins of a Solar Empire, Battle Realms and Cossacks to keep me busy. Although I do agree that RTS' hayday has long past and only reason why SC2 made such a splash is essentially because it has a competitive scene and, ya know, it's made by Blizzard. Even Age of Empires has been compromised with AoE Online.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • StarSythStarSyth Member UncommonPosts: 50

for a big production look at Civ 5.

for a good f2p RTS community look at "Spring", I think it comes up under "Spring Project" in google. Its esentially an open-source RTS engine that loads of RTS games are made off, the lobby is amazing, downloading and installing mods and maps for you.

MOBA and RTS are two diffrent genre, do not get them confused. One is micromanaging an entire nation/army in a battle the other is a single unit in a small team senario. I play both, yet the diffrences are the same as FPS and RPG.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

y cannot find the RTS in this new games, except for Starcraft II

Well, there real time and strategy based, you know, real time strategies, if you cant find that about them your a fool.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.