Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you recommend?

cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

So I just recently bought a new laptop(it's a beast, my current one is just awful), and I'd like to start playing some decent mmorpg. I was thinking maybe WoW or Rift, or possibly something else. I like WoW's graphics but I doubt I'd have a whole lot of time to raid, but I do love just leveling, hanging out, PvP, instances, etc. I read an article about Rift saying that they will be bringing instances that are soloable, which is great since I don't have all the time in the world to get groups, etc. I currently work 5-6 days a week from mid morning to late evening, so I only get a couple hours a day.

What would you recommend for me? Either of those 2 games? Or possibly something else? I'm also into FPS games so I'm waiting for BF3 to come out next month. The only thing I currently play is LoL and it's just getting somewhat boring/too repetitive...

Thanks for any help!

Edit: also shoulda mentioned I have played both Rift and WoW before but I'm not sure where the games are as of now(popularity, etc.)

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Best to start on a Free tp Play game , if you want to test you  beast as you call it try AOC Unchained .. or LOTRO

But if your not afraid of a monthly Fee & you have never played WOW  then its your best bet , it has alot of gameplay , easy to get into  but still with Great raids for endgame , lots of addons-mods to enjoy  & of course a big community & you can solo up to max level , I would pick a druid  for a varied Game style or a Mage for Bang for your buck type character & being able to teleport helps to..

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

If you are looking for something to do between now and BF3 (just cancelled my pre-order this afternoon, you should read up on their EULA before buying it), LOTRO would be good for both entertainment value and testing out your system.  The game's visuals are decent enough when cranked to maximum on the HD client that it would give you an idea of what your laptop is capable of, and it is a fun game for at least a month or so.

• cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

Hm I wasn't a fan of AoC's combat system but I only played the very beginning area. I suppose I can try out LOTRO, though :) .

Ugh I'll have to check out BF3 again soon, I was about to pre-order it last night...

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Download Lotro, AoC, Rift (free trial) & WoW (Free trial).

Spend about a week with each then commit to the one(or two) you enjoyed the most.

I could tell you which one I liked best but honestly... every gamer is different and who knows if you will like what I do and to avoid some back and forth with some guy/gal that disagrees with my opinion I say just try em all and make up your own mind.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

The fact you are waiting for BF3 would lead me to point you toward both Global Agenda and Firefall. If you are looking for a more classic themepark MMO doing a free trial of LOTRO couldn't hurt. Based on your expressed intrests I might point you toward Fallen Earth too.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Z3R01

Download Lotro, AoC, Rift (free trial) & WoW (Free trial).

Spend about a week with each then commit to the one(or two) you enjoyed the most.

I could tell you which one I liked best but honestly... every gamer is different and who knows if you will like what I do and to avoid some back and forth with some guy/gal that disagrees with my opinion I say just try em all and make up your own mind.

I would agree with this.  So many choices.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

Alright, I might as well dl the trials and just test each one. Also I never really liked Global Agenda or Fallen Earth for some reason, but Firefall looks great just based on the graphic style <3