Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back and taking it all in ( well as much as I can )

allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Being back playing vanguard this summer/fall makes my head spin. The amount of content in this game is just remarkable. I have several characters

49 bmg ( orignal character )

41 bard ( played on returning in 09 )

29 psi

28 disc

16 necro

10 druid

8 shaman

Each character I take different paths ( currently leveling the psi/disc 2 boxing and grouping with guild ) and I have to say I am already thinking of my next alt or 2 as I keep finding new content to explore.  When I say content I dont mean quests ( there are tons everywhere ) i mean long epic dungeons.

Suggestion to enjoy vanguard to the fullest and really see some amazing stuff:  veer off the typical questlines and paths ( Hunters league, CIS, Celestine ward ) - ask around to find alternative dungeon areas, explore around and find them yourself or download Infomap Advanced from vginterface.com they put dungeon locations on your map !!!   

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I really don't understand why people have good things to say about this game.  I've given it several tries over the years and it's just BAD.  The graphics aren't very good.  The combat was cookie-cutter boring.  And obviously it's a ghost town.

I would love so much to have a game to play right now, but this was just terrible the last time I gave it a try.  I don't see how it's any different than anything else out there (I have no interest in diplomacy card games or crafting).

I'm not trying to flame you or anyone, I really am curious exact details or "proof" that makes this game worth playing.  I'm used to playing mostly solo so population isn't a HUGE problem...  But the combat wasn't interesting at all and the classes didn't stand out as anything special either.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

My whine about Vanguard is that you just level too damn fast for the amount of content.

wish it took longer to reach cap image

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Painlezz

I really don't understand why people have good things to say about this game.  I've given it several tries over the years and it's just BAD.  The graphics aren't very good.  The combat was cookie-cutter boring.  And obviously it's a ghost town.

I would love so much to have a game to play right now, but this was just terrible the last time I gave it a try.  I don't see how it's any different than anything else out there (I have no interest in diplomacy card games or crafting).

I'm not trying to flame you or anyone, I really am curious exact details or "proof" that makes this game worth playing.  I'm used to playing mostly solo so population isn't a HUGE problem...  But the combat wasn't interesting at all and the classes didn't stand out as anything special either.

We all have different tastes, but one critisism that I totally dont agree with is the graphics. Maybe if you have a low end system. I run a high end rig and can run VG cranked and I have to say that the graphics and scenery are just awesome. Some of the best that I have experianced for an mmo.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

It's an older school of thought you need to understand before you can grasp what makes this game great.  Nowadays players look at their characters as a series of numbers where everything must be min-maxed etc.

Vanguard was like the original everquest, it's not about min-maxing your character or looking at data sheets.  It's about immersing yourself in the character, like readinga  good book.  

The players that DO play vanguard are among the best in the mmorpg community, so the social aspect is amazing.  everyone knows everyone, it's an actual community.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I dont know if youve played EQ1 Painlezz. But the appeal at least to me is the combat difficulty. If you remember in EQ going into Lower Guk by yourself at level 43 or whatever and crawling though that place solo and it was a challenge. 

Same goes here. Open world. Content is majorily meant for groups which makes a solo player like yourself and I entertained.

While the actual combat itself is run of the mill, I havent seen any other themepark innovate far from what Vanguard, lotro,wow, rift, etc. combat is.(and dont give me some GW2 fighting underwater example)

So to sum it up. Is VG the MMO of dreams? Heck no. But it is one of the last un-Wowified games out there just because, to its benefit, Sony hasnt touched it.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

The proof is simple, I enjoy it. 

VG is different because:

1. it is not on rails

2. you can find places that people rarely go ( dungeons and quest areas )

3. the game is deep - classes are nothing sort of fantastic ( bard, bloodmage, psionist are my 3 favorites ). Note: you have to really get to level 15-20 in a class to "get it" and I have not been dissapointed yet other than my necro which i find boring ( but some people love )

4. crafting is great stuff

5. graphics - well i completely disagree with you here. The views in vanguard are phenomenal, sometimes i just ride around to see stuff.

6. community - community is best i have seen in an mmo

To enjoy this game you should like to group. while it is soloable, the best parts of vanguard are group dungeons by far and the best part, you can level 1-50 and not see 75% of them.

To the one poster who complained about the XP gain, i agree it is too fast. However, i turn off XP quite a bit of the time.

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by laserit

My whine about Vanguard is that you just level too damn fast for the amount of content.

Use the skill that turns your XP off. ;)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I agree with the others you have to have played Everquest in 1999 to enjoy Vanguard to its fullest. I do miss this game and I would go back in a heartbeat if my wrist did not remember the agony of crafting. I just cannot craft anymore so a major part of the joy this game brought me will be diminished.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

I agree with the others you have to have played Everquest in 1999 to enjoy Vanguard to its fullest. I do miss this game and I would go back in a heartbeat if my wrist did not remember the agony of crafting. I just cannot craft anymore so a major part of the joy this game brought me will be diminished.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/05/genius-ring-mouse-now-available-in-north-america/ 

You should check this out. Listened to a review on a tech spot on local radio and the reviewer said it worked quite well.image

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by TacBoy

Even if you don't use it Vanguard still takes longer to level that just about any fantasy MMO out there. The person imo is talking rubbish.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

For the most part the Art design is very good. There are good areas and bad areas, nicely done equipment and some that is not so nicely done. It had a hard development so some parts feel rushed or not fully baked.

Even though it's a theme park game it doesn't feel like modern theme park games. Or I should say that it is fairly easy to go of the beaten track and not do some of the regular quest lines.

For instance, the poster who mentioned the typical quest lines; I haven't done any of them. I think I started one of them then lost interest. I just like to roam and kill monsters in these games. Occasionally taking quests here and there.

The combat works fine if you aren't expecting some action packed combat experience. I do like the clases as they seem to be familiar but with some sort of twist.

My dread knight can reapear behind the enemy and take some health to heal myself. To me that's rather novel.

Being a necromancer and being able to graft parts on your summoned monster is also rather novel.

I prefer the old school types of games so being a casual player in vangaurd fits my free time quite well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Even if you don't use it Vanguard still takes longer to level that just about any fantasy MMO out there. The person imo is talking rubbish.

Rubbish?

It takes longer to lvl then other games and thats a damn good thing in my book. I entered  KE at lvl-13 and and left at lvl-15 and there's 5 more dungeons I want to see in the same lvl range.  So IMO you lvl way too fast in this game.

One thing the majority of people from the WoW generation do not understand and do not like about this game, and it's OK. VG was never meant to start at endcap, the game was meant to start at lvl 1. The game was meant to be an adventure from the beginning. It was meant to be deep. It was meant to be complicated. It was meant to take a lot of time. This game was never meant to be like WoW, its was meant to be different.

I dont think I was talking "rubbish" at all 

Why do people always have to think that an MMORPG has to start at encap?

It's such a shame that Sigil ran out of money. Everything was very rushed in the end, it had to be, they had no choice. People can shit on Brad all they want. I can see the core of his "Vision" was a hell of a good one, it's just too bad he didnt have the business skills or cash to complete it.

I dont think I was talking "rubbish" at all

p.s. Thx TacBoy for the info, I'll be sure to use it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

It takes longer to lvl then other games and thats a damn good thing in my book. I entered  KE at lvl-13 and and left at lvl-15 and there's 5 more dungeons I want to see in the same lvl range.  So IMO you lvl way too fast in this game.

My thought to that is that it's a choice. You can level anywhere you want just not everywhere you want.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Turning off the xp-gain is a great function. Those who want to stop and smell the roses, can do so at they're leasure. Turn's out my whine was unjustified.

I will look into that ring mouse thanks.

Chamber of Chains
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Getting through lvl 51 - 55 is pure group based, if you try to solo your way through those levels it'll take forever. Just too much down time for killing 4 dot mobs for good exp and killing 3 dot mobs dont give enough to make a big impact.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Sovrath

My thought to that is that it's a choice. You can level anywhere you want just not everywhere you want.

Yes, he obviously has a problem with choice and i doubt  he has really palyed most of the game. Most Dungeons in Vanguard have mobs that have many levels of mobs in them.

KE-13-18 for one.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yes, he obviously has a problem with choice and i doubt  he has really palyed most of the game. Most Dungeons in Vanguard have mobs that have many levels of mobs in them.

KE-13-18 for one.

The mobs have many levels of mobs in them, what are they russion dolls?  Think I tried this back in 07, do wanna go back but wanna decent pop first, and I know the chicken and egg arguments that will follow, but still want a decent pop first. 

There is a hint it might be going f2p .That will boost pop a lot.

Chamber of Chains

There is actual truth to the point you level too fast. By most MMos standards it is slower. However, the sheer amount of content at any given level range is so immense, you outlevel content. This may sound negative and it is hard to explain unless you have played a game where for each level range from 5-10, 10-20,20-30,30-40, 40-50, 50-55 there are easily 5-10 dungeons, many long epic-like questlines and such.

For example lets take level 15-25

tsangs tomb - 18-24 amazing weapon questline

Hunters league - amazing gear for that level 18-25

Temple of Dilluk 16-22

Mount questlines ( unicorn and shadowhound ) 20-30

Lyceum ( which i have never done ) 16-22

Hillsbury manor 18-25

Keghors end ( 13-18 )

Hive of the zurr 20-25

thorridans scar 17-26

ksarvi gulch 16-26

Chyrsol mines 20-25

Calendras Coven 20-25

Imanjel sa(something ) 18-25

( i am looking at infomap in game ) 

This of course does not count solo areas for questing alone, all of the above are 2ppl + dungeons

So you have 2 choices. 1. turn off XP ( there is buff in game for this ) or 2. Alts, lots of Alts !!!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Agreed.  My issue with the game is the length of time to level isn't paced correctly and you end up in the level 25-35 range struggling for xp.  More people doing group content on a consistent basis would help with the content already in place, but...well just look at the population.  So, yeah it's an issue.

Originally posted by elocke

Agreed.  My issue with the game is the length of time to level isn't paced correctly and you end up in the level 25-35 range struggling for xp.  More people doing group content on a consistent basis would help with the content already in place, but...well just look at the population.  So, yeah it's an issue.

If you are 23-25 and looking for things to do, consult the list I put in above. Depending on your class ( other than warrior or rogue ) you should be able to solo 3 dots a few levels below you without issue ( most classes can solo 3 dots equal to level ) some can solo 4 dots 2 levels higher than your level ( disc, bloodmage, DK, shaman, ranger )

My suggstion if soloing would be doing one of the mount questlines. They will take you to 30 and are certainly soloable.