Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking This or AoC for a F2P to gold me over...

Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I've been kinda feeling conflicted as far as the two games listed in the title. Both games are gorgeous and while AoC may have a slightly more entertaining combat system, for the class i plan to play it doesnt matter much (necro = mage = mages dont really have a dynamic spell casting system xD). Lotro has the deed and heroic advancment system while AoC has the RoTGS PvE PvP talent trees rather than raising the level cap, which like WoW i real dislike having to relvl (LoTRO). I think what it may come down to is the quality/diversity and immersion qualties of the games and the way they deliver their PvE and PvP. As far as whether im an PvE or PvP player depends on what im playing.

In LoTRO i found Monster play as populated as some of the T2 and T3 RvR lakes in WAR as of late (very inconsistent to consider this as a given form of entertainment). While I enjoy playing PvE more, its in the cases that its more than just a "insert X number of player raids". To those of you that played FFXI in the past pre abyssea id like to use the variety of endgame events (while some did require more ppl the events greatly varied from 6 man 18 man low man and various others +storylines)  and will take PvE with no real PvP if it is does right. The problem is i never reached higher than level 50 in AoC and higher than 20 in LoTRO. The reason for LoTRO was that the quest grind didnt interest me, while the world was massive and beautiful I didnt enjoy playing quest on quest at the expense of levels. Im more of a group oriented PvE content progression kind of guy (love to do instances and can grind instances all day as long as there is a variety which is why i enjoyed the solo dungeons and the group content in Aoc, only reason i was able to get to 50) Ive heard that recently LoTRO has done something to remedy this and would be intersted to hear your thoughts.

The final decision for me would be the F2P model. Now i know AoC offers a lot more for paying subscribers and from my knowledge other than paying the 10 bucks for ROTGS and maybe some classes the only thing you get locked out of us end game raids (which i have no intersest in) which makes it quite a well rounded F2P game. If raids are the only form of endgame for PvE outside of doing the clan missions in Khitai and advancing my characters traits then I could always fall back on AoC's fun PvP which is why im leaning more towards AoC. The problem with LoTRO is as F2P you buy quest packs (feel free to let me know if thats changed) when i last recall and im not understanding their membership types. I dont see a membership where you just drop the 15 bones so id like some clarity as to which the fellow players have leaned more towards as well as an explanation on how VIP and Premium is purchased/obtained and the pitfalls and things to know/avoid when purchasing content as a F2P player.

Apologize for the wall of text but i just wanted to be sure to get all my thoughts out. If LoTRO has some great endgame as far as PvE goes and/or Monster play isnt as dead as it used to be i may just go with LoTRO just for it being so aesthetically pleasing when compared to AoC. The only gripe i see is the need to buy Quest packs and dungeons in lotro to just progress your toon. Also there is the mention that you can only get to 65 on F2P (Isengard announced the cap increasing another 10 levels >.>).

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

They are f2p, why not install both?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Originally posted by waynejr2

They are f2p, why not install both?

Because while I have time to Play one, i dont have the time to play both. Im done with judging a game prior to reaching the level Cap, and with the age of both mentioned games I feel that there is more to experience at level Cap as far as the population for the said game goes. I.E. enjoying PvP in AoC but long pop times occasionally due to most the the players being at level 80. This being said id like some opinions and thoughts on their F2P systems and what they offer so i can make a decision.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

Lotro is 100x better than AoC.  I've maxed chars in both games, Lotro is much better especially if you are a PvE over PvP player.

Originally posted by Silacoid

Lotro is 100x better than AoC.  I've maxed chars in both games, Lotro is much better especially if you are a PvE over PvP player.

My only question is how the PvE is structured and the complexity of the structure. Is it just raids or is it a litte more? In the case that it is just raids what does it do differently from WoW, because that game is what burned me out on raids. If LoTRO is no different then meh. Also liked some info on the memberships if you dont mind ^_^.

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

I can't speak much for AoC as I've never levelled a character up past level 50 or so (although I gave the f2p a test run and it seemed to offer a pretty good amount of stuff, plus I don't believe you have to unlock zones like you would in LotRO).

The "end game" in LotRO could be just raids (and i guess that's the top tier, but I don't have the time to raid, so...), but there are also skirmishes, 3-mans and 6-mans that can all be run at level 65.  Many of the instances in the game can be scaled to your level, and all the skirmishes (think there's about 10 or so, maybe a few more) can be scaled to level 65 (75 in a few days when Rise of Isengard comes out).  But if you don't want to just raid, there is smaller, I guess less challenging content, that can still be pretty tough if you're not decked out in uber raid gear.  Skirmishes are a ton of fun to me (can be done with solo to raid numbers), and are a bit easygoing, which is something i feel to be a benefit.

There are some "grinds" like maxing out your Legendary Items or getting really solid gear, but most gear outside of raid gear can be acquired through skirmish marks (which you get by doing skirmishes) and marks that drop in skirmishes and instances (or raids).

I've had a ton of fun in LotRO, but I really prefer the class system in the game, and really like the classes over what I've found in AoC (again, haven't played at max level, so take that for what it's worth).  It also helps that I'm in a really social and helpful Kinship in LotRO, so that's really the reason I've been staying, as I dont' mind playing solo, but I'd at least like people to talk to, or help out when I need it, and my kin is awesome at doing that.  If you're interested in LotRO and are looking for a social/levelling guild, let me know and I can get you into mine. :)  We're the Guardians of the Stone Council (on Brandywine).

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32

In my opinion AoC is 100x better than LOTRO. Combat in LOTRO is so slow and boring it puts me to sleep in less than 3 minutes. Graphics and sound are also way better than LOTRO. Quests are typical MMO stuff in both games, but in AoC you get really entertaining questlines with adult oriented dialogue and humor. PVP may be highly imbalanced in AoC but it is fun, where monster play in LOTRO is boring and clearly just an afterthought.

There are dungeons and raid progression in both games, but fight mechanics are way more fun in AoC. In AoC you also get opposing factions so you need to choose your allies carefully. Alternate advancement is also a very interesting form of endgame.

You can build your own city in AoC. A task that demands a lot of dedication but it can also be seen as endgame for some people.

As to the f2p models, in Aoc you can level up to 80 ( cap ) without spending a dime and then decide if the game is right for you. In LOTRO you have to start spending money early in the game  unless you feel  killing a million spiders and wolves to unlock content is fun and worth the hassle.

I'd stick with AoC without having second thoughts. LOTRO is a game I play from time to time but just as a 30 minute to 1 hour distraction.

In the end, it's your time and money, so the decision is yours.

Originally posted by rastorg

In my opinion AoC is 100x better than LOTRO. Combat in LOTRO is so slow and boring it puts me to sleep in less than 3 minutes. Graphics and sound are also way better than LOTRO. Quests are typical MMO stuff in both games, but in AoC you get really entertaining questlines with adult oriented dialogue and humor. PVP may be highly imbalanced in AoC but it is fun, where monster play in LOTRO is boring and clearly just an afterthought.

There are dungeons and raid progression in both games, but fight mechanics are way more fun in AoC. In AoC you also get opposing factions so you need to choose your allies carefully. Alternate advancement is also a very interesting form of endgame.

You can build your own city in AoC. A task that demands a lot of dedication but it can also be seen as endgame for some people.

As to the f2p models, in Aoc you can level up to 80 ( cap ) without spending a dime and then decide if the game is right for you. In LOTRO you have to start spending money early in the game  unless you feel  killing a million spiders and wolves to unlock content is fun and worth the hassle.

I'd stick with AoC without having second thoughts. LOTRO is a game I play from time to time but just as a 30 minute to 1 hour distraction.

In the end, it's your time and money, so the decision is yours.

A bit rough on LoTRO but i do agree with your points about the F2P methods both games employ. With graphics and combat its up to personal opinion (i mentioned i play mage so combat to ME, is just as dull as any other mmo) and lotro feels more open rather than loaded zones of AoC. As i mentioned personal opinion but you did make some fine points.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

EQ2  has F2P and you should try it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I honestly would not recommend playing LoTRO purely on a F2P basis; it's not enjoyable. You'll be grinding mobs, have limits on tasks that you can do and will have to start immediately paying for additonal zones. If you are going play LoTRO I would suggest the subscription route, at least until you get to Moria. 

AoC has a more enjoyable and interactice combat system as well. I found soloing in LoTRO to be tedious at best, frustrating at worst. While I never played AoC for a long time, I did find it enjoyable, especially in comparison to LoTRO.

Originally posted by Destai

I honestly would not recommend playing LoTRO purely on a F2P basis; it's not enjoyable. You'll be grinding mobs, have limits on tasks that you can do and will have to start immediately paying for additonal zones. If you are going play LoTRO I would suggest the subscription route, at least until you get to Moria. 

AoC has a more enjoyable and interactice combat system as well. I found soloing in LoTRO to be tedious at best, frustrating at worst. While I never played AoC for a long time, I did find it enjoyable, especially in comparison to LoTRO.

Had a feeling that would be the exactly the problem I felt I would be running into. Now which sub is the paid one? Is that premium or VIP? Or another one entirely.

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

Had a feeling that would be the exactly the problem I felt I would be running into. Now which sub is the paid one? Is that premium or VIP? Or another one entirely.

In LOTRO after you make a single purchase your account becomes premium which grants you an additional character slot and  maybe something else, not sure atm, but you are still playing under the f2p model. The VIP is the typical monthly sub that unlocks everything (minus paid expansions).

Hope this helps.

In LOTRO after you make a single purchase your account becomes premium which grants you an additional character slot and  maybe something else, not sure atm, but you are still playing under the f2p model. The VIP is the typical monthly sub that unlocks everything (minus paid expansions).

Hope this helps.

Much thanks, I recall buying something in the past on an account i made (as in an expansion) so my account is mentioned as a premium. The only thing that confuses me is that I dont know where I can see what it was that i bought. Im not sure if it was moria or mirkwood.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Been subbed to LotRO for 4 months now and subbed to AoC for one. After two days of AoC I remembered exactly why I stopped playing. Speed hackers, crap PvP, etc. Was really glad that I had that LotRO to go back to. :)

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Hope this helps.

Much thanks, I recall buying something in the past on an account i made (as in an expansion) so my account is mentioned as a premium. The only thing that confuses me is that I dont know where I can see what it was that i bought. Im not sure if it was moria or mirkwood.

Easiest way is to load up the game and visit the Store, anything you bought will not show up. Though more and likely you bought Moria as Mirkwood isn't that useful with out moria.