Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eighth profession revealed?

2»

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by SteeJanz

Originally posted by Bhorzo

Originally posted by Unlight

Purple fan lady says mesmers are returning.

Key word being "fan". That's a piece of fan art.

That said, I'm 99% sure the 8th prof is mesmer. It may play differently than in GW1, but all evidence points to mesmer, I agree.

I am pretty sure that this is ArenaNet concept art.  Not fan art.

Yes, it is official art. It is fan art but not fan art.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Even if the final class were an unarmed melee kind of like a monk in some other games, then they shouldn't call it a "monk" for Guild Wars 2.  Monk in the Guild Wars universe implies healer, because that's what they were in Guild Wars 1.  They would have to give it a different name, even if it could have been called a "monk" in some other IP.

The essential thing about mesmers in Guild Wars 1 wasn't interrupts.  It wasn't even hexes.  Rather, it was the idea that, no matter what you wanted to do, if a good mesmer knew it was coming, he could counter it and destroy you.  It's not hard to imagine a class in Guild Wars 2 being like that, even without hexes and interrupts.

Now, if they wanted to make it mainly a direct damage class with all the subtlety of a train wreck (e.g., a fire elementalist in GW1), then even if it's ostensibly done through mental tricks, that wouldn't be remotely similar to the Guild Wars mesmer.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Even if the final class were an unarmed melee kind of like a monk in some other games, then they shouldn't call it a "monk" for Guild Wars 2.  Monk in the Guild Wars universe implies healer, because that's what they were in Guild Wars 1.  They would have to give it a different name, even if it could have been called a "monk" in some other IP.

Remember that Anet said it is a returning profession from gw1 with the same name so if it is a martial artist (which it is not) the most logical option is the monk.

Originally posted by Quizzical

The essential thing about mesmers in Guild Wars 1 wasn't interrupts.  It wasn't even hexes.  Rather, it was the idea that, no matter what you wanted to do, if a good mesmer knew it was coming, he could counter it and destroy you.  It's not hard to imagine a class in Guild Wars 2 being like that, even without hexes and interrupts.

That depends on if we are talking ends or means. The ends were not interupts, hexes or energy denial. The ends were stopping you from doing what you want to do and even punishing you for it. However the means were interupts, hexes and energy denial so the profession will still heavily change because those means will change.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by semantikron

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by semantikron

*snip*

If we know the Monk is not returning, it's news to me.  There will be no healers, but not necessarily no Monks.  The Monks might have decided to stop healing and get into the fight for all we know.

On your second point, that is true.  However, they did not say that NPCs can't use player skills, as is fairly well demonstrated by the two hammer warriors.

Actually ArenaNet did specifically say that there will be no Monks in Guild Wars 2, in numerous interviews, in a tweet and I think in one of their blogs. Yet they just won't say that there won't be a Mesmer in GW2.

As for the NPC in the video. They were usuing a variation of the Warrior's Elite skill "Rampage", as their main skill. It has the exact same animations and spell effects as Rampage.

Ah, I wondered what that skill was.  Makes sense that they would be warrior NPCs then.

The monk is already back in the game. One of the class designers said that the monk changed to armor, he also said that the guardian is the persons that where monks, but have evolved to these people who get close and stand in the front to defend, as the monk is about helping and standing a stand or something in that style, can't seem to find the interview, but I do know it is out there... and didn't use that much time to look for it, but i do have heard it. xD

Originally posted by liva98989

The monk is already back in the game. One of the class designers said that the monk changed to armor, he also said that the guardian is the persons that where monks, but have evolved to these people who get close and stand in the front to defend, as the monk is about helping and standing a stand or something in that style, can't seem to find the interview, but I do know it is out there... and didn't use that much time to look for it, but i do have heard it. xD

Actually, the Guardian is primarily an evolution of the Paragon, at least lorewise. Gameplay-wise it is an evolution of the Paragon, the Monk and other professions.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

"There are no direct interrupt skills in Guild Wars 2 Players can still disrupt opponents through the use of "stun", "Daze," "Knock Down", "Knock Back", "Launch" (a knock back which ends in a knock-down) and "Fear". There are also no more curses.Debuffs are the only part of the state system. A series of ten debuffs, such as bleeding, poisoning, blindness, burning, vulnerability, inflexibility and fear and put together this system can all be eliminated with any state-removal skill in the game. "

Gamestar Eric Flannum interview.

Expand your repertoires a bit, guys. You stick rigidly to certain game mechanics explained, such as a lack of hexes and interrupts, without considering that one can 'interrupt' something without it necessarily being a mechanic, but rather an after-effect. This is sort of common sense. For instance, we've already seen what Fear can do from the Warrior and Necromancer videos. How would you expect an Elementalist ot maintain the animation for the duration of their raining comet skill, whatever that's called (I forget), if they're busy running in fear?

A mesmer plays with the mind. There are any number of ways they can interrupt a person's fighting/casting...sleeping, dizzying, blinding, fearing, etc. There are plenty of possibilities without making 'interrupt' itself as specific a mechanic to the mesmer class as it was in GW1. 

"People who like the play style of Mesmer are definitely a class in Guild Wars 2 will find that they like. As there are now only two more classes unannounced, I can say that one of them is an adventurer with medium armor and the other a scholar with light armor."

Part of the same interview. The medium armor class was the engineer. All that's left is the scholar, which will be the one that plays mind tricks, and as it's confirmed the final profession will return with the same name it had in GW1...what else could it be? Or does it make sense that they'd bring back a profession with the same name but give it the skillset of someone else?

Finally:

"CDA: I think one of you promised players who had played the Mesmer in GW1, GW2 in that they would find a profession to fill their expectations. I'll ask this way, then: we have already seen the profession that meets their expectations?

EF: That's ... a very interesting question. We have certainly seen a few professions that can fit some of their expectations, but I do not think we have seen the character that would best fit their expectations."

Interview in a polish gaming magazine back in August.

As for unarmed combat, keep in mind that GW1 started with 8 professionals and ended with like, 12. It would have been 14 had they not dropped Utopia to work on GW2 instead. So I wouldn't get all defeatist about the lack of monk/unarmed fighter. They clearly have many future plans with expansions and such. Lots of people want a brawler/martial artist, and Anet tends to look to fan feedback when they want ideas of new content.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Guild Wars: Prophecies has 6 core professions.  Warrior,  Ranger,  Elementalist, Monk, Necromancer,  Mesmer

Guild Wars: Factions has same 6 plus Assassin and Ritualist

Guild Wars: Nigthfall has 6 core professions plus Dervish and Paragon.

Although you can move characters between campaigns you can only create an asassin or ritualist in Factions and only create a dervish or paragon in Nightfall.

That's 10 total professions. Utopia may have added 2 for, making it 12.

Guild Wars 2 Guardian is a mixture of warrior, paragon, monk and ritualist (the spirit weapons).

Guild Wars 2 Thief  is modified version of assassin.

Some people try to compare Egineer turrets to ritualist spirits which I think is just silly.

The dervish seems to be the only Guild Wars 1 profession completly missing from Guild Wars 2. Like monk, dervish linked to the gods who aren't around much any more, that and only the humans worship them so charr, asura, sylvari, norn dervish doesn't work.

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48

TotalBiscuit playing Guild Wars 2 at the Eurogamer convention with developer commentary by Colin Johanson. Right around 2:15 Colin says that the Guardian is a very support orientied class in line of the Monk of Guild Wars 1 and that the Monk was removed for Guild Wars 2.

Going further back to the time of the Thief reveal, Eric and Colin both confirmed that part of the reason for the name change was that they are focusing soley on Tyria at the moment and not visiting the continents of Cantha or Elona (which takes out the possibility of any of those professions returning).

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus