Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could it be? Three faction DAOC style RvR!!

BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Apon further review it looks like we might get a long awaited breath of fresh air with ArcheAge Online 3 faction RvR.

If implemented properly the Pirates will act as the outcast third faction, battleing the East and West for control of the Northern Continent.

This could turn out to be the second coming of true RvR and territorial control that i have been longing for!!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Comments

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Wah? AA is a faction based game and not an open world (like mo) ?

That's very sad.. but at least 3 is better than 2

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by randomt

Maybe thats a good thing? It's not like MO and it's open world is really creating any Epic territorial control moments LOL.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• JuulpowerJuulpower Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by randomt

In my eyes having factions doesn't have anything to do with the existence of an open world.

Players from one faction can still visit the other faction's continent, even though there's a high risk of forced PvP upon doing so.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

AA still has open FFA PVP. Your neighbour from the same faction could be pissed off at you and gank you. Just that your neighbour could be thrown in jail., and be put on trial for his/her crime.  

In AA you can actually have many factions. It may start out as 2 npc factions, but a guild could build their own castle and make their own faction. Or a guild could build a settlement on one of the many Islands and become a pirate guild launching raids or create disorder from their island. 

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

There can be many more factions available than just East/West/Pirates, but only if player characters get together and create factions. That's how it works in AA.

East/West is just the default factions you're assigned to based on race. Based on your decisions in-game, you can switch between them or become a Pirate.

Once you get to the northern continent, you can create Expeditionary Forces, a guild/faction hybrid that captures areas, builds castles and profits off resources.

Where normal guilds fit in this big picture remains to be seen.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Players can create their own factions.

• JuulpowerJuulpower Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by MarkJW

There can be many more factions available than just East/West/Pirates, but only if player characters get together and create factions. That's how it works in AA.

East/West is just the default factions you're assigned to based on race. Based on your decisions in-game, you can switch between them or become a Pirate.

Once you get to the northern continent, you can create Expeditionary Forces, a guild/faction hybrid that captures areas, builds castles and profits off resources.

Where normal guilds fit in this big picture remains to be seen.

True, but I can't see how these 'expeditionary forces' are factions. They might be a guild/faction hybrid but they're way more guild-like than faction-like. I mean... the western and the eastern faction might have ten thousands of members, and if an expeditionary force has 500 members it would be gigantic already.

I see it likes this: expeditionary forces (I hope they'll be called Clans in the Western version) are combat orientated guilds, guilds are social orientated guilds. You can be in a guild with friends with a great difference in levels just to chat and hang out, and at the same time in an expeditionary force with people in the same level range to actually get some stuff done.

Arche Age starts off as a faction based game, but ends, at least for the PvP fans, as a guild based game. Every race can be in every guild, and the guilds will fight for power across the northern continent.

• Daimyo21Daimyo21 Member Posts: 66

Only 2 factions, The entire Sea, Northern Continent is complete free PvP without penalty.  Only the west and east continents are faction related.  No instance or load between continents, just a matter of transportation.  Portaling/recalling will be scarce and cost lots of $$$

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

factions are stupid, and promote racism. 

but seriously I really hope it is FFA pvp, they can make as many factions as they like. I just want open world FFA pvp. 

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Daimyo21

Only 2 factions, The entire Sea, Northern Continent is complete free PvP without penalty.  Only the west and east continents are faction related.  No instance or load between continents, just a matter of transportation.  Portaling/recalling will be scarce and cost lots of $$$

So you wouldn't consider the Outcast Pirates a Faction? I believe they very much are a Faction and set up just like the East and West, Pirates even have islands with out posts.

The Pirates act as the PK faction to help balance power between the three Continents, if the East becomes to powerful and dominate the North the West and the Pirates could work together to overpower them and fight for control.

And player made factions i see as little more then guild based content, which is totally player made content that could disband at any given time. Compared to the East, West, and Pirates that are dev made content and ever existing.

So yes there is three default factions.... With the tools to create player made content in the form of aditional factions, sand box type player made content.

The more i read about AA the better it gets, and with the Love of all things Ultima Online from Jake Song i have high hopes!!