Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race Between D3 an T2 continues

Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

My origonal post was about the delay.  I am bummed about that.

But sorry that I didnt see the other post.  Anyway, I'll turn this into encouraging news on this foot-race for T2. I am anticipating both, but this could turn into a small opportunity for T2 that might be har to compete with D3, since there is a potential window where more folks than origonally planned would pick-up T2 before D3 if the T2 announce comes soon, and occurs this year.

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Who cares which one comes out first!  You either like D3 or T2 and will only get that particular one, or you'll purchase and play both.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I'm definetly getting T2, if not simply for the SDK. D3 is whatever at this point, I'm not as excited for it as I thought I'd be, and I could do without it.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

It doesn't matter.  The fact that people are under the assumption that T2 will be able to stand toe to toe with D3 is laughable.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by DAS1337

It doesn't matter.  The fact that people are under the assumption that T2 will be able to stand toe to toe with D3 is laughable.

So D3 sells more copies T2 will still be better.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

TL2 beeing fully moddable, playable offline and no RM AH, plus the devs from D2 working on TL2 and not D3. Given this, I am sure TL2 will be a more interesting game. And I bet I am not the only one.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by gordiflu

TL2 beeing fully moddable, playable offline and no RM AH, plus the devs from D2 working on TL2 and not D3. Given this, I am sure TL2 will be a more interesting game. And I bet I am not the only one.

Interesting - maybe. But It's still pretty much indie production, which means it won't reach to those weekend gamers that do not follow gaming sites all time and track every title. Diablo 3 get's so much media coevarage, is hyped for several years now, anyone who played WoW or StarCraft2 will know about it.. simply it has much more marketing. It will sell loads of copies no matter what. 

That said, with a choice between D3 and T2 i'm going to pick T2. Price difference and fact i don't have to be online to play it is what really sells it for me. 

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

lol i'm sure most people haven't even heard of torchlight. Anyways, the two games aren't even comparable. Diablo 3 be a juggernaught just like its predecessors, it has been 10 years since the last release of a diablo game.. I mean come on. 

Any that actually thinks torchlight would have any effect on a diablo title is clearly dilusional. The offline play and only solo play for torchlight is why I never got past the demo. Why would anyone want to play a diablo type game offline/solo. 

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Any that actually thinks torchlight would have any effect on a diablo title is clearly dilusional. 

It is having some affect, since i'm getting it instead of D3.

I'm also a huge Diablo1&2 fan too.. so that's not exactly the side I would have predicted i'd be on. But in all honesty I feel Torchlight2 is closer to those than D3 ever will be.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

T2 will attract a fair share of players, but Diablo 3 is an established IP and far more popular than Torchlight and better in every way, compared to T1. I haven't followed T2 much, but for what I have seen it has little in common with the first diablo games.

In short, T2 will do well. I really hope so. But it's foolish to think it will have any major impact on D3 :)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

TL2 will definitely be out before D3. I wouldn't be supised if D3 gets delayed even further.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I like torchlight II and all, but I just can't see how there is even a race between D3 and T2

D3 is pushing for the online element

T2 is pushing to achieve what D2 achieved

They are very similar game with a very differing purpose.

Anyone know if torchlight MMO is made by the same developer as T2? I heard its gonna be developed in house by perfect world.......hope not.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I've played Torchlight and it's too cartoony, even more so than D3.  It has nothing to do with copies.  It will have less support, less polish, more bugs, less depth all around the product.  There will still be people selling gold, items, leveling in T2 and people will still be buying that stuff.  It's as if people actually think that this is a new phenomenon in online gaming.  This stuff has been going on since Ultima Online.  Having it in-game will just allow Blizzard to monitor and control it to an extent.

There is absolutely nothing in T2 that you can't get in D3.  Unless someone out there want's to shed some light on some hidden feature that we've all missed... this isn't even a conversation.

I mean seriously, a major point of contention is the fact that it's online?  People have been bitching and moaning about being able to let their offline characters go online for years.  Now they let you guys actually do that and you're complaining about it?  How does that make sense?  Enter your log-in and password, and you're in.  What's so difficult about that?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by xKingdomx

I like torchlight II and all, but I just can't see how there is even a race between D3 and T2

D3 is pushing for the online element

T2 is pushing to achieve what D2 achieved

They are very similar game with a very differing purpose.

Anyone know if torchlight MMO is made by the same developer as T2? I heard its gonna be developed in house by perfect world.......hope not.

The mmo will be developed by Runic Games and the publisher will more than likely be Perfect World.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

I'll probably be picking up D3, D1/D2 is what really got me into playing games online, also look for path of exile as a contending underdog to the other two games.

Any that actually thinks torchlight would have any effect on a diablo title is clearly dilusional. The offline play and only solo play for torchlight is why I never got past the demo. Why would anyone want to play a diablo type game offline/solo. 

Likewise.. i don't see the appeal of Diablo as multiplayer game at all. I play hack and slash games to relax and hack and slash through mindless mobs. I don't care nor want to care about other players. I have actual MMOs and RTSes for my multiplayer thirst. That's why Torchlight is perfect for me... I can just fool around, and really, majority of gamers won't utilize the multiplayer aspect of Diablo. Hardcore gamers are a minority. 

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

While I plan on getting both, big fan of Torchlight and all, it has ZERO chance to "compete" with Diablo 3.  Blizzard will destroy T2 in sales which is quite obvious, but that's not to say T2 won't be awesome or anything.  Blizzard is too massive to compete with, Bioware might have a chance with SW:TOR but I guess we will find out come the end of the year.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Gimme both rye nao!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by just2duh

Any that actually thinks torchlight would have any effect on a diablo title is clearly dilusional. 

It is having some affect, since i'm getting it instead of D3.

I'm also a huge Diablo1&2 fan too.. so that's not exactly the side I would have predicted i'd be on. But in all honesty I feel Torchlight2 is closer to those than D3 ever will be.

It is having an effect.  I too am getting T2 and not D3. I was a fan of D1 and D2 LOD Online, and also a fan of Torchlight.  I'm choosing T2 for multiple reasons, one being the graphics (I like them), two being the more whimsical nature of T2 (D3 is a little demonic for me), and three being the RMAH which I don't care for in D3. Also, the price weighs in mightily.

Now as far as the "race" between the two games goes, I think D3 will cremate T2 in sales, BUT....that doesn't mean that there won't be some people that will opt for that sweet 20 dollar price tag and bypass Diablo3, and those people will probably, like me, have other reasoning too.

I don't play games because they're the latest fad or because 12 million people play them.  I play games I LIKE.  If they happen to be indie games with small player bases.... /shrug....I don't really care.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I doubt many people believe that, nor expect it.  Which won't stop some of us from preferring T2 to D3 and playing it instead.  Clearly, the drooling, saucer-eyed masses will throng to D3 -- and frankly, they're welcome to it.  T2 will still find it's niche as is common with indy developers.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

lol i'm sure most people haven't even heard of torchlight. Anyways, the two games aren't even comparable. Diablo 3 be a juggernaught just like its predecessors, it has been 10 years since the last release of a diablo game.. I mean come on. 

TL2 isn't having as much an effect on D3 as D3 is.  Even if TL2 wasn't coming out shortly, I still wouldn't be signing up for the D3 circus -- and I was fully intending to, having been waiting for it since I last played D2/LoD, all those years ago.  Blizzard's decisions are what's turned me away from it.  Luckily enough, there will be a replacement for my hack'n'slash fix just around the corner.  A nice bonus is that I'll be supporting a tiny developer who gives a f***, rather than another soulless megacorp.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

this thread just makes me want to club baby seals....

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

the game Desappoint me in some way.

for now i dunno if Blizz will change it

but the skill swapping is certainly a serious issue,

if u guys dont know what i am talking about check this video

from MikeB aka fony

http://youtu.be/1sLMy1oKBLg?hd=1

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Ezhae

Likewise.. i don't see the appeal of Diablo as multiplayer game at all. I play hack and slash games to relax and hack and slash through mindless mobs. I don't care nor want to care about other players. I have actual MMOs and RTSes for my multiplayer thirst. That's why Torchlight is perfect for me... I can just fool around, and really, majority of gamers won't utilize the multiplayer aspect of Diablo. Hardcore gamers are a minority. 

You're joking right? the majority of players won't utilize diablos multiplayer..? it was its main selling point in 2000 and you honestly think that changed? lol. Nothing hardcore about playing online.. what era are you living in?

No. Not really. Just like plenty of people who bought Starcraft or Warcraft don't play ladder games even tho that's where the interent's focus is on. Sure people will fool around in co-op every now and then, but TL2 has co-op as well. A large portion of people who buy games don't frequent gaming forums and don't engage in multplayer interaction. They play games for themselves. 

Similarly, even in MMO games, like WoW, you have loads of people that don't join guild, don't do group content, hell they don't even level up all the way. They play on and off few hours a week, maybe month in their free time when they are not watching TV. Looking at gaming industry through internet is not really best idea because it's just loud minority of playerbase. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there is plenty of people who enjoy online possibilities of Diabo2 and 3, but in the end, out of several million copies sold you will maybe have 1 million using online actievely. 

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

WTF is T2?

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• OsedaxOsedax Member UncommonPosts: 16

Wont matter we all know we will all be playing d3 reguardless.