Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noobs in toyland: low-level dungeon rant

I got kicked out of an Alliance Wailing Caverns random dungeon group. I'm a 17 Warlock.

My crime: "ninja'ing" Skum's Tailspike dagger, a blue item with 4 agility plus 3 points to critical strike.

The "prosecution's" case was simple: warlocks cannot use daggers or agility.

The "defence" (me only) argued that in fact warlocks can and often do use daggers, and agilty is useful to any class, as well as the plus 3 to critical strike enhancement of the item. In addition to these facts, my equiped weapon was a lowly staff of megre stats. And, the dagger had been rolled on fairly, I had selected need and won. So, where was the ninja'ing?

The "jury" wouldn't hear of it, lead by the "prosecuter", a human paldin on a mission for justice and ePeen. All insisted I trade the dagger to the highly annoying rogue who was chat spam-whining like the 13 year old child she was, and opening a trade window with me instead of fighting mobs as we all moved through the dungeon. I closed the window like 10 times, she reopened it each time and bawled while we fought.

Finally, a pause in the fights came and the "verdict" was delivered: boot the ninja!

I'm over it, beleive me, just another st00pid WoW moment in my career. But, I really don't like the random dungeons. No one usually says hello when you arrive, there is no real reason to even communicate unless, you know, unless you have a ninja in your midst, and the twinked-out tanks who usually lead in these instances are only focused on becoming 85 tomorrow or else goan die! So, the pace is like working at McDonalds during lunch, you can't even collect mats or side quest items unless they are directly in your progression path, no one waits, no one cares.

I think I prefer the old LFG days.

Ok, I'm waiting now to be told how I shouldn't have rolled need on that dagger. :)

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

http://wowmb.net/forums/f22/16571-why_not_agility/

I can see why they booted you, but unless someone else in the group also needed the item, it's pretty silly to get so bent out of shape in a low level instance.  

• InsomniaqInsomniaq Member Posts: 29

Yes, you ninja'd. You have no business with that dagger. However, who gives a rats ass because that dagger is going to be replaced in about 20 minutes at your level anyway.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i cant even belive that people roll on weps anymore...seeing that 90% of people have BOA gear..but these things are the norm in wow..if yur not used to asshats in grps..get used to it in wow..as you get in more and more grps it wont matter most of the time if you want / need the item..like i said most people have / use their BOA gear

oh and btw..i always ask 1st if any minds..no answer i roll..most grps could careless..seems like to me you ran into some kiddie nerd rage with a fresh start in wow

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by Insomniaq

Yes, you ninja'd. You have no business with that dagger. However, who gives a rats ass because that dagger is going to be replaced in about 20 minutes at your level anyway.

That is so true with the new LFG randoms items are replaced so fast.

I do agree though, taking it from the rogue is pretty messed up.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Just because you can use it doesnt mean you should use it...  If the rogue needed it then he should of gotten it because it was a primary for him.  Its a secondary for you.  

• Drama24-7Drama24-7 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I can see why they booted you, but unless someone else in the group also needed the item, it's pretty silly to get so bent out of shape in a low level instance.  

You can see why?

Why, then?

I did nothing wrong, and it's a matter of opinion and play style whether agility is useful or not. Most of those people in that other forum thread you linked were arguing that warlocks do not need agilty. I agree, warlocks don't need it. But, it's not unuseful.

My post, or rant, is about how the random dungeon system enables stupidty and anti-social behaviour. Note, the fools in my dngeon group believed that Warlocks couldn't even use daggers. lol.

Originally posted by Drama24-7

You can see why?

Why, then?

I did nothing wrong, and it's a matter of opinion and play style whether agility is useful or not. Most of those people in that other forum thread you linked were arguing that warlocks do not need agilty. I agree, warlocks don't need it. But, it's not unuseful.

My post, or rant, is about how the random dungeon system enables stupidty and anti-social behaviour. Note, the fools in my dngeon group believed that Warlocks couldn't even use daggers. lol.

Are you a troll, or are you just new to MMOs?  You answered your own question.  Just because something is "useful" to you doesn't mean it was meant for you.  You could make the argument that almot any stat is "useful" to you, but unless the item has stats that are of primary importance to your class, that item is not for you. Second of all, it is not a matter of opinion and it is certainly not a matter of playstyle.  Those meager stats would have almost zero effect on how you choose to play your Warlock.  It was simply a matter of principle.  That was a rogue dagger, and if it was an upgrade, the item should go to the rogue.  For some classes or specs it can be tough to tell which items are made for which class, and sometimes you might roll on an item and run into conflict with another group member.  In your case though, you should have just traded the item to the rogue and apologized for your mistake.  Seeing as you didn't do that, their behavior towards you was justified, and for the record, I'm known to do much worse on my hunter.

The old misdirect and feign death usually takes care of snarky healers and tanks quite nicely.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by marinrider

Just because you can use it doesnt mean you should use it...  If the rogue needed it then he should of gotten it because it was a primary for him.  Its a secondary for you.  

I 100% agree.  I would have voted to boot that ninja on general principle alone if a rogue was in that group needing on it.  Sure it is only level 17 but if you don't learn to stop ninjaing at level 17 you will ninja at level 85 and really piss people off.

The OP is acting like he was the one who had the injustice done to him.  In reality he should have been banned from grouping for 3 days for that move.  Especially when the rogue clearly called him on it.  For instance I have passed on loot that was even my primary if others needed it and it was only a margiinal improvement over my current gear.  Being polite regarding gear is the single best way to get a good group cohension.

Ninjaing is probably the biggest problem with random groups.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

If you have the need for a better weapon and one you can use drops, and everyone rolls on it, or has the opportunity to roll, that's it. No ninja'ing involved. HELLO?

Ninja'ing, a term used to describe anything people dislike, really, would only have taken place if I couldn't use the item, such as a two-handed axe.

Lots of nice leather armor drops in WC, and some mail. Guess who was gonna get Armor of the Fang? The kid could use that for many levels, the dagger wouldn't be great after only a few more.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Reminds me of the old days when everything in the game was a "Hunter Weapon".

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

It doesn't matter what was Needed or not, the LFG system allows for you to be replaced lickety split. You rolled on a secondary item while others rolled for a primary. It wasn't a ninja steal, granted, but you should be sure to ask the group on questionable items such as that one. All that being said, I don't think you did anything wrong. People shouldn't really care about a low level weapon that gets replaced in moments. But raging about it won't change what happened, and trying to shift blame onto 1 person, party, or game mechanic solves nothing. In short, learn to deal with it, because you will see it happen again.

You can see why?

Why, then?

Are you a troll, or are you just new to MMOs?  You answered your own question.  Just because something is "useful" to you doesn't mean it was meant for you.  You could make the argument that almot any stat is "useful" to you, but unless the item has stats that are of primary importance to your class, that item is not for you. Second of all, it is not a matter of opinion and it is certainly not a matter of playstyle.  Those meager stats would have almost zero effect on how you choose to play your Warlock.  It was simply a matter of principle.  That was a rogue dagger, and if it was an upgrade, the item should go to the rogue.  For some classes or specs it can be tough to tell which items are made for which class, and sometimes you might roll on an item and run into conflict with another group member.  In your case though, you should have just traded the item to the rogue and apologized for your mistake.  Seeing as you didn't do that, their behavior towards you was justified, and for the record, I'm known to do much worse on my hunter.

The old misdirect and feign death usually takes care of snarky healers and tanks quite nicely.

Is anyone who doesn't agree with you a troll?

I reject your opinion about that dagger. I made my case. Is that trolling?

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

You've told your story and just about everyone in this thread has pointed out that you were wrong. The other members of your group made it quite clear they thought you were wrong.

Maybe instead of rejecting everyone else as being wrong, you might look at why only you think you were right.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Murashu

You've told your story and just about everyone in this thread has pointed out that you were wrong. The other members of your group made it quite clear they thought you were wrong.

Maybe instead of rejecting everyone else as being wrong, you might look at why only you think you were right.

troll is trying to be true to it's user name

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I got kicked out of an Alliance

There was your first mistake.image

But yeah, it was not "ninja" but it was asshattery. I did that once but it was my second dungeon ever and I didn't understand the "Class Stat" concept. After I was thoroughy trashed and yelled at for it I learned a valueable lesson! But you seem to know what you did was wrong.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Drama24 every time you're with other humans, no matter what situation, there are rules others expect you to follow. When you go to a shop, you're excepted to not to cut in line. When you go outside to play football with others, you're expected to follow rules of the game. You can't refuse these rules and you can't start arguing about them.

Why is it so hard for you to understand, that there also rules others expect you to follow when you play WoW with them?

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Drama you ninjed. I also am leveling an alliance warlock I also see dagger with agility and crit that are far better then what I have. I obtain these said items because:

1. I know that the agil using classes in my party need them more than me so I let them have it

2. because of 1 I ask in chat when I want an item like an agil dagger "can I need this <link item>"

sometimes its no which I'm like fair enough sometimes no ones needs and I get it.

Sorry but you were a rude ninja in that instance you described the rogue should have got it.

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

Sorry, you were wrong. What is also considered "ninjaing" is rolling a weapon that is NOT APPROPRIATE for your class. You can keep arguing about dexterity but it is not a primary stat for a warlock, not even by a mile. However, it IS a primary stat for a rogue, which means that weapon was a need roll for him, and a greed roll for you. That's the generally accepted practice.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

The weapon was not apropriate for your class. They were right to kick you for ninja looting. as someone said earlier. Even if you can use it, it doesnt mean you Should use it.

If no one needed it, sure ask if you can have it. If a rogue needs a dagger. Let the rogue have the dagger. Its the same as a warrior needing your mage staff because the stam on it may help him tank better. The staff isnt apropriate for him thus it would be ninjaing. Hope the example helps.

Best wishes

Saint

Originally posted by Murashu

If the person had some experience in MMORPGs, that individual would know that the first line of defense when accused of ninja looting is almost always saying, "I can use it therefore I can need roll on it."

Certain items are made for certain classes.  If you roll on said items, you have ninja looted.  I'm done here.

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Vrika

Drama24 every time you're with other humans, no matter what situation, there are rules others except you to follow. When you go to a shop, you're excepted to not to cut in line. When you go outside to play football with others, you're excepted to follow rules of the game. You can't refuse these rules and you can't start arguing about them.

Why is it so hard for you to understand, that there also rules others except you to follow when you play WoW with them?

Sorry but this drove me crazy: it's EXPECTED, not EXCEPTED.  It brings a totally different meaning to what you are trying to say.  I really am not trolling you, just trying to help you.  I don't normally correct grammar/spelling on here but that was bothering me too much because the meanings are so different.  (sorry again, really not trying to stir up trouble, back to my corner heh)

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I got kicked out of an Alliance Wailing Caverns random dungeon group. I'm a 17 Warlock.

My crime: "ninja'ing" Skum's Tailspike dagger, a blue item with 4 agility plus 3 points to critical strike.

The "defence" (me only) argued that in fact warlocks can and often do use daggers, and agilty is useful to any class, as well as the plus 3 to critical strike enhancement of the item. In addition to these facts, my equiped weapon was a lowly staff of megre stats. And, the dagger had been rolled on fairly, I had selected need and won. So, where was the ninja'ing?

The "jury" wouldn't hear of it, lead by the "prosecuter", a human paldin on a mission for justice and ePeen. All insisted I trade the dagger to the highly annoying rogue who was chat spam-whining like the 13 year old child she was, and opening a trade window with me instead of fighting mobs as we all moved through the dungeon. I closed the window like 10 times, she reopened it each time and bawled while we fought.

Finally, a pause in the fights came and the "verdict" was delivered: boot the ninja!

I'm over it, beleive me, just another st00pid WoW moment in my career. But, I really don't like the random dungeons. No one usually says hello when you arrive, there is no real reason to even communicate unless, you know, unless you have a ninja in your midst, and the twinked-out tanks who usually lead in these instances are only focused on becoming 85 tomorrow or else goan die! So, the pace is like working at McDonalds during lunch, you can't even collect mats or side quest items unless they are directly in your progression path, no one waits, no one cares.

Ok, I'm waiting now to be told how I shouldn't have rolled need on that dagger. :)

You ninja'd, plain and simple.  Maybe you weren't aware that you did simply because you don't know your class, but you did.   Yes, Warlocks can use daggers.  No, agility is not useful to every class.  For a warlock, it's a wasted stat, and nothing more.     Not sure I'd have booted you out of such a low level instance, but I definitely would have had a hard time not telling you that you need to do some research on your class itemization and stat priorities.  

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

I've played a few MMO's (although only tried WoW for about 2 weeks before realizing it wasn't  my cup of tea) and, unless the definition of ninja looting has changed, I think some of you are mistaken as to what it actually is.  Did Drama24 ninja loot? No.  Was it rude of him to roll need without discussing it first with the group? Yes.

I dated a ninja looter once (that's one of the reasons we broke up) and I can tell you that what Drama did was not ninja looting.  He didn't grab the loot then diitch the group and log off, never to be heard from again.  No.  That is ninja looting, or at least one form I have witnessed.  

Like I said, unless the definition has severely changed, I don't think this was a ninja looting attempt.  I know there is probably more to this story, but from what I can see, I don't think it was what you all are accusing him of. 

Now, I'm not taking Drama's side.  I believe he was wrong to do what he did the way he did it and he should have handled it better.  There's also more to this story,  I believe.  We can't really make judgements until we know the whole side of the story.  Who knows? he could really have ninja'd it and just left the group and said they booted him.  The problem with the internet is you can't really tell what iis the truth unless you know someone.  

Now back to my corrner for good before I get too deep on an MMO site, heh.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• UrzaElentUrzaElent Member Posts: 104

Derp Derp I'm a warrior and since warriors can equip EVERY item in the game I'm gonna roll on that Bows, Crossbows, Daggers, Fist Weapons, Guns, One-Handed Axes, One-Handed Maces, One-Handed Swords, Polearms, Staves, Two-Handed Axes, Two-Handed Maces, Two-Handed Swords  there is cause I can equip it. Yea, people like you are the ones that give WoW a bad name bro.

New or old LFG system, if you were in my group and there was just about ANY other class in it that could have used that you'd have been booted too. Ten bucks says there was ether a warrior, hunter , shaman or rouge in that group with you and thus you as a caster should have passed it unless all of them said they didnt need it thus making it a greed roll for vendoring. So how about you just man up to your noobness at the time and just move on cause you're sounding pretty silly. Warlocks and agi/crit daggers, lol.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

All you had to do was ask if you could roll need on it, before actually rolling.

9/10 times, people will comply.