Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bit the bullet and bought Minecraft

Comments

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Sawtooth

The only thing I hate about survival mode is the blasted creeps exploding and damaging my beautiful fortress walls. I don't care if they butcher me but leave my masonry alone!

Yea, creepers are a pain in the butt.  If I see one near my structure, I try and lure it away by letting it chase me.  This has only happened to me once so far. 

My place is next to a lake and I am always looking to kill spiders for the string.  I keep a supply of fishing poles to get food.  I basically cleaned all the cows out.  I thought they would respawn, but they didnt.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

if you like minecraft check out the texture pack addons been running around with x64-256 HD packs makes the game way more impressive. 

as well some mods are pretty fun. im playing around with millienare and kingdom mod have been since i start i think it was 1.3 or 1.5beta i cant remember it was a few months back for me. 

it gets boring solo but playing multiplyer its pretty fun. mind you, you will get burned out if you play it alot least i did solo. i love my mods but meh i get bored playing by my self and my MP server i join is pretty empty with everyone on TF or something haha

I have tried a lot of texture packs, but this one, I think is the best, in my opinion.

Misa's Realistic Texture Pack

• I've owned the game for quite a while, but I've never tried multiplayer. I don't even know how it works, do you have someone host it and everyone can get together and say 'rawr, let's build a castle together' and start constructing things?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Sawtooth

I've owned the game for quite a while, but I've never tried multiplayer. I don't even know how it works, do you have someone host it and everyone can get together and say 'rawr, let's build a castle together' and start constructing things?

Basically, someone hosts the server and it's only up when they are on.

There are a lot of group-owned live servers out there holding a couple hundred players at a time, I played on one at Cnation.net, but you have to join the forums and get whitelisted first. Huge projects, towns to join, classes with a handful of levels to gain, and a working economy with currency. Other versions have their own specific mods as well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Anyone have any good servers? Best server Ive played on so far is Lord of the Craft server. No griefing, great admins, active political and war system.

btw I my texture pack of choice is the LB Realism pack

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

you can played on the plaguefest server if u like? u need to post  ur name for admins to let u in.

[link] http://plaguefest.com/index.php?/forum/91-minecraft/ [/link]

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I tried the browser version for a bit, and it never really sank its claws into me...

Think it might have been the controls that didnt appeal to me.. Because the it wasnt the graphics.

I think its great that there are someone out there making innovative games where its the concept and game play thats important.

Because especially as an indie developer, you cant afford to spend all your time and money making it look pretty.

OK so I didnt really get hooked by this one, though I might have been... And Im sure that once you get hooked its damn near impossible to put down.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by outfctrl

Originally posted by Theutus

This thread inspired me to give it a try. My first "night" playing it I went to bed at 5am... thx a lot...

Thats the thing with this game.  You keep saying to yourself "Just a little deeper" I am having a hard time finding iron.  I have a slew of coal.  Havent found any rares yet.  I did find an Ender pearl, but have no idea what it is for.

I dug a little too deep one time and, thank God I was on a ledge, because it was a drop of over 100 feet to pure lava.  Scared the crap out of me.  I closed the hole immediately. Sheesh

haha, this reminded me of my excursion into Minecraft. I've only played the free version, but the actual mining is EXACTLY how I've wanted mining to be in every MMO I've ever played. I kept imaging myself delving 'too deep' and awakening a Balrog or something.  But in my case, I mined too deep and struck a water aquifer. My cave filled up with water, and if there were drowning, I'd be dead.

As others have said here, gameplay is king. I wish more AAA titles got this.

I am playing on a multiplayer server now.  They start you in a place call "No Mans Land"  You can be killed by anyone, but no one bothers you.  I guess they want to see your creativity.

I was digging the other night and when I broke this block, it was about 50' deep.  The challenge I had was to find a way down by place plocks very carefully to make some steps down.  It took me awhile, but finally made it down there. There is a slew of Iron down there too.  I placed a wood door with a sign above.  The sign reads "Danger, Unexplored mine ahead"  LOL  A little role playing here.

Tonight I am going to load up on torches and explore the area.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

I've been playing Minecraft since right after the halloween update last year.  I've easily put at least 500 hours into the game and have made countless worlds.  Many of those worlds I still have screenshots ofl.  It ranks up there as one of my favorite games of all time due to the sheer openness of it.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

just imagine if Mojang turned it into a real MMO with just one non-instanced world.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by WW4BW

I tried the browser version for a bit, and it never really sank its claws into me...

Think it might have been the controls that didnt appeal to me.. Because the it wasnt the graphics.

I think its great that there are someone out there making innovative games where its the concept and game play thats important.

Because especially as an indie developer, you cant afford to spend all your time and money making it look pretty.

OK so I didnt really get hooked by this one, though I might have been... And Im sure that once you get hooked its damn near impossible to put down.

If I may ask, what was wrong with the controls?  They are the standard WASD + Mouse controls.  

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by WW4BW

If I may ask, what was wrong with the controls?  They are the standard WASD + Mouse controls.  

He may have been doing it wrong.  I know when I first started I would constantly single click to mine and chop wood.

It drove me nuts!  Then I read and watched the videos. You just hold the mouse button down.

Originally posted by corpusc

just imagine if Mojang turned it into a real MMO with just one non-instanced world.

I think with this game, the more you explore, the more hard drive space it takes up on your computer.  I may be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere.

I noticed on my computer, the more I explore the larger file saves are.

I think with this game, the more you explore, the more hard drive space it takes up on your computer.  I may be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere.

Oh, it certainly does.  The more you explore the world, and allow the game to procedurally generate new chunks, the larger the world file.  Also, buidling with renewable resources (sources of stone mined from cobblestone generators, wood, and wool) increase the world file's size as well.  Nowhere near as much as going to new chunks, but it does increase the size.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Minecraft is an example that graphics =/= a good game. Its a nice thing to see a game actually shine with people that goes out of its way to be different. Promoting creativity while also allowing people to realize that no, graphics are indeed not everything.

Originally posted by Vato26

Oh, it certainly does.  The more you explore the world, and allow the game to procedurally generate new chunks, the larger the world file.  Also, buidling with renewable resources (sources of stone mined from cobblestone generators, wood, and wool) increase the world file's size as well.  Nowhere near as much as going to new chunks, but it does increase the size.

Thanks for clarifying that.  THis is the first game I have ever played that actually does this.  The game itself is fairly small, but the more you play and do, the bigger it gets.  Wild

Originally posted by Vato26

Thanks for clarifying that.  THis is the first game I have ever played that actually does this.  The game itself is fairly small, but the more you play and do, the bigger it gets.  Wild

Each game world is truly unlimited in size.  And, it only generates when you explore that chunk.  Which is why the size of the file increases.  It's also why some people who keep playing the same world for a multitude of months and patches have worlds that are 100+megs in size. 

Add to that, each world you play is random.  And, with beta version 1.8, even maps with the same seed numbers only have their spawn chunk the same.  All the rest are completely randomized chunks.

It's fairly simple game in its design but has so much depth and customization that its mind-boggingly awesome!

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Purutzil

Minecraft is an example that graphics =/= a good game. Its a nice thing to see a game actually shine with people that goes out of its way to be different. Promoting creativity while also allowing people to realize that no, graphics are indeed not everything.

While it's not even close to Skyrim-type graphics, oddly it appeals to me! It sort of recalls my Lego playing days as a kid. Also, I've lost track now of the number of times I've jumped out of my seat for being startled by the mobs.  Compare this to any modern AAA MMO, and it simply doesn't happen. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was truly frightened in an MMO...but somehow these blocky minecraft monsters with their creepy ai and sounds scare the bajeebus out of me.

Oh, and I too have now purchased the game!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

if it were turned into an MMO it would have to be able to stream chunks over the network like second life, so it would not continuously hard disk cache the whole world like it does currently.  if you went to chunk 45,45, then back to 0,0, it would no longer make sense to store 45,45 on the disk.  by the time you go back there, other players could have changed it (and all the other hundreds/thousands of chunks) quite a bit.  therefore they would just stream the latest version to you whenever you need to "load" a new chunk.  would come over the network.

Corpus Callosum    

All this chunk stuff is over my head.  I just enjoy playing. Can someone explain Minecraft coordinates?

Recently I was searching the forums for something and they were mentioning some type of hidden fortress below the ground with booty in chests.

Then someone was giving coordinates X, Y, and Z to find diamonds or something.  Now, I understand this is a three dimensional type coordinate, but how the hell do you find it?  The world is so big?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is that fun thing of messing around building stuff that people enjoy however,that seems to be the only thing that has people intrigued about Minecraft.

I mention this becuase you can get a MUCH better game engine to mess around with  in any of the unreal game engines which are all free with the games or just d/l the free newest UDK .

You not only can do more than what Minecraft can do but you would be learning alot about how games work and are made and all for free.Yes you can have creatures in your own work and you can even go the lazy route and d/l mods that create creatures for you.You can even run your work and invite friends to play.If you have any C++ code background you can do even more,3d graphic/modelling engine knowledge,then you will really be rocking.

If you already have the skills you can actually build something better than Minecraft by yourself and in about a month or two,then spend more time expanding your maps/mods whatever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Ceridith

Yes, the graphics are very basic. The gameplay however, has a great deal of depth, and that's what makes it so fun to play.

Let me start by saying I love minecraft.

However lets be honest. The only way you get depth out of minecraft is if you never look at the wiki.

Originally posted by xenogias

Originally posted by Ceridith

Yes, the graphics are very basic. The gameplay however, has a great deal of depth, and that's what makes it so fun to play.

Let me start by saying I love minecraft.

However lets be honest. The only way you get depth out of minecraft is if you never look at the wiki.

I disagree.  There are so many combinations in crafting, you need to look once in awhile or you will become totally frustrated.

I tried to not go there, but after failing multiple times creating a bed, I had to...LOL