Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few questions about GW. Thinking of buying / playing also looking for a buy deal <3

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I was hoping to learn more about GW in this thread I had another thread going asking about GW2.

Now I have a few questions comparing GW to an avrage MMORPG what is there to do what is the max level what do you do after the max level? How fast can you be best geared in the game? I also hear you can keep collecting skills? Could someone give me a really good run down. Is there housing is there pets is there social items is there guild houses what does guilds do give me a full rundown if possible with features.

Also anyone know a good place to get GW2 full collection at a reasonable deal.

Thanks.

SNIP

Comments

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

I like GW 1. I'm not a hardcore over the top fan of GW 1 but I am a fan of ANet and their products. In GW you can level cap relatively fast, but don't let that throw you off, level 20 is really where the game begins. The ability to find "Elite" skills and choose from hundreds and hundreds of spells and abilities is epic. You can make so many different builds and save them for easy later use. I'd say try a demo and see what you think. Don't let the limitations of GW 1 sway you from GW 2. They are totally different in almost every way. The lore is the same, but as you can tell from any videos or dev posts, GW 2 is a totally new concept on how to present their game to their customers. The story line is filled with cutscenes as well. It's pretty easy to follow. The PvP is also pretty attractive to a lot of players. It wasn't to me because I'm not a huge fan of PvP. Mainly because if I PvP, it's usually with an assault rifle and some grenades. FPS's fill my need for PvP. I don't think you'd get bored of GW 1 right away but I'm sure you would eventually because if you're like most humans, things tend to get old. Believe it or not, but someday GW 2 will be outdated. Get the demo. I'd say get a Nightfall demo if possible because they introduced Hero Henchman in that xpac and it's always better to be able to equip and change your companion skills and weapons yourself. Anyways, hope I helped and didn't just talk to myself.

Ok. Just say you updated what you said.

You start out like most any other mmo. You pick a type of character.

Elementalist, Warrior, Assassin, Ritualist, Necromancer, Monk (Gone in GW 2 and brought in healing/resurrection skills for everyone.), Mesmer (Final GW profession?), Ranger, Dervish, and Paragon.

You have pretty small window of customization, as in you don't really get to adjust certain facial features like you'd see in GW 2 and other games like Aion or the Dragon Age series.

As far as stuff to do, typical quests. "Hi there ... go kill this for me because I'm an NPC and there for have no ability to interact with my environment beyond scripts." You then go kill the thing and bring back the item. That's the boring mundane part. The fun part is the fact that you only have a skill bar of 8. Your 8 makes up your "build". What's fun about that? There are hundreds of skills you discover in the game. You'll sometimes come across bosses in the game that have this shiney looking shield that meshes their bodies. If you have a Skill Capture Signent you buy from skill merchants you find in some cities, you can cap that bosses "Elite" skill. You don't get a gold weapon....you get a gold skill. These skills can only be equipped one at a time, meaning you can only have one Elite skill active on your bar at a time. On some rare occasions you can have an elite skill on your bar at the same time you have the Skill Capture Signent equipped on your bar, you can cap an elite skill out in an instance and have two at a time, till you zone back into a city or change areas/instances. It may sound mundane but if you're smart, and you like trying to build cool new ideas this game is for you. You can make some pretty powerful characters if you give it some thought. You only have 8 skills at a time. Not only this dude/chic, ANet cities like Lions Arch and the beginning city of Factions are awesome to hang out in during holidays. You have crazy mini games going on all the time, this will be persistent and updatable on a live basis by the devs in GW 2. You have to see it and take part to truly understand but Turkey Day is coming up as well as Halloween so I'd say invest in the game or download a free demo during a holiday and see for yourself. It's epic in all the sense of the word. It's better when slightly inebriated. :) If you have anymore questions just ask. There's a helluva lot more to the game than I just gave.

Originally posted by kanechart

I was hoping to learn more about GW in this thread I had another thread going asking about GW2.

Now I have a few questions comparing GW to an avrage MMORPG what is there to do what is the max level what do you do after the max level? How fast can you be best geared in the game? I also hear you can keep collecting skills? Could someone give me a really good run down. Is there housing is there pets is there social items is there guild houses what does guilds do give me a full rundown if possible with features.

Also anyone know a good place to get GW2 full collection at a reasonable deal.

Thanks.

The max level is 20. Sounds low because it is. Think of 1-20 in GW 1 as the tutorial. Honestly. The majority of the game takes place after 20. Yes there are Guild Halls. You don't get a personal "House", but the Guild Hall suits that purpose nicely. All the business you could take care of in a city, you can take care of with your own peeps. Much better. Skills I already wrote about. There are mini pets which don't fight of course. Cool costumes you can wear in cities. A pretty good dye system for your armor. I think you can find the whole collection for download if you just go to the Guild Wars website. Yep, just go to guildwars.com and download the game. Sure you'd come across a place to pay at somepoint. May browse a bit and see if anyones offering the whole set on discount. I'm pretty sure it's not very expensive for them anyways. I'd say thirty bucks retail for the trilogy or maybe even all of them. Best Buy or maybe try Steam if you have it. Hope this all helps.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I'm a veteran GW player.

If you're going to play GW, you have to get it out of your head that its an MMO. Its not an MMO. Its a game more like diablo where you form groups and go out adventuring. Instead of lobbies/chat rooms though, you get Towns and Out posts

There are minipets your earn once a year per character that do nothing, you can buy them from other players also. If you play as a ranger, you can capture one pet at a time to fight with you (lions, bears, giant birds, giant lizards, tigers, eagles, wolves, and many many more, even spiders). Necromancers get armies of the undead, they slowly die, but you'll be constantly summoning more as you kill things.

The max level is 20, but level 20 is where the game begins. Level 1-19 is just practice. It eases you into the game. After that, you start earning the skills you want and find the right combination of builds. The you also find the armor and weapons that look good and you upgrade them how ever you want.

In your first play through, depending on how often you play, it could take about 2 to 4 weeks to get max level and max gear. Probably even longer. But you'll likely run into other vets who you will want to party with and they'll help you level and you'll have plenty of gold and materials to get decent gear. Its not really worth buying gear until level 20 though. But on your first play through, go ahead and enjoy the experience of getting gear as you level.

As for skills, theres hundreds of them. Collecting all or even half of them would be insane. This allows you to make the perfect build just for you. For example, I have a build that spreads buring and poison to multiple enemies because I like to drain health.

Theres no personal housing. There as Guild Halls. I dont know how many themes there are to pick from but I think theres at least more than 20 if you have all the exspansions.

Honestly, its a really good game as long as you aren't expecting it to be open world, which would be stupid, since its common knowledge that its all instanced. Theres also a lot of content. I've been playing since launch and haven't even done 50% of the content. The player base is still going strong too. Theres also the feature of Heroes which is great when you only feel like playing alone or when you end up in an area where theres no one else around, but of course if you get a good guild, they'll help you out.

Its a really solid game. Its nothing like Guild Wars 2 though. But it will be good enough to hold you over until something decent comes out, especially if you never played.

So in short, you could just try the free trial.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Also, I think Target usually has a good deal on PC games, or GWs at least. I remember buying Nightfall online and then seeing it at target the next 3 days 20 dollars cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Trilogy-Pc/dp/B001DI6O6C

You can get all 3 games adn the exspansion for 41 dollars here. IF you keep looking, I'm sure you'll find it cheaper. Jsut don't buy it used of course.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

Thanks guys for some the features. I'm excited now I'm trying convince my friend to play also. If you guys have any features you missed that be wonderful like crafting and etc.. I would be in debt to you. As much info possible <3

Also I have actually Guild Wars and Guild Wars Factions... Must bought ages ago but played I think NONE of factions.

Thanks so much <3

SNIP

Sorry I forgot to add so I have Guild Wars, Guild Wars Faction. Now I noticed 2 other expansions 1 comes with the Trilogy that costs the same price as the trilogy as on it's own. I assume buying Trilogy might earn me something extra anyways?

The last expansion seams some what important the eye one for GW2 collections.

Also is their somehwere a summed up database with all skills all items all dungeons all zones all instances sort of a number information?

Features is what attracts my buddy a lot hehe. Small or big. Like hero vs hero battles I just read about was cool sounding.

Also I was trying buy the game digital. I'm little remote right now and be easier if I can download it.

SNIP

I made a large large feature list. From what I could see some of it might be sort of over doing it aka a little off from the truth hehe.

Guild Wars. Guild wars I found out is not just level to 20 and that is it. Apparently it has a lot you can do and a lot of fun grinding stuff sort of like CoD / BF even WoW where you earn achivements but also tons and tons of social stuff so much that now they have a whole leveling system to gain Guild Wars 2 Items! (Pets, Soecial, Etc)

First off lets talk about GW reviews:

GameSpot:

Guild Wars 9.2: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/index.html

Expansions:

Guild Wars

Guild Wars Factions

Guild Wars Nightfall

Guild Wars Eye Of The North

Hear is a Sweet website by GW2 that shows you things you can gain and earn to bring over:

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=main&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=print&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Some features Guild Wars offers:

- Heroes (Like SWTOR Companions, Customizable Heroes who level up with you, follow your orders in combat, and use weapons and skills you choose)

- Hero vs. Hero Battles—the ultimate one-on-one PvP competition

- Hard Mode (Once you hit 20 this like Hell Mode in Diablo)

- Elite Missions like Raids where you go on crazy epic campaign mission and get a chest at the end with epic loot.

- Guild Halls (With Tons of Special Abilities)

- Guilds with many features like Guild Vs Guild Wars duh <3 Guild Capes etc.

- Alliances OMG Like EVE Online where many guild can join an alliance where you earn faction in guilds that go to the alliance as well access other guilds halls but not only that can Capture Towns and Outposts that offer: Towns that have been captured by an alliance will grant their members access to an exclusive alliance-only area. And even special access to special missions and areas that no one else can do without the control of the towns.

- Mini Pet Collections

- Costume Collections

- Achievements

- Special Crafting Vault that lets you store 250 of each crafting resource. Just to give a example their is over 25 rare materials. That alone would be 6250+ just in rares you can store.

- Your own Hall of Monuments: a personalized trophy chamber where your achievements can become rewards for your Guild Wars 2 characters—only available in Eye of the North

- Max level is 20 but 20 is where the game really begins. Lets just say level 1-20 is your tutorial.

- Skills in this game are more important then items. Rather then just farming gold and gear you farm skills as well rare skills special skills for your character there is 1000's in total and just getting half them would be just insane (from a vet)

- Rather then having 30 random magic spells that you don't even use 1/10 of them you can only have a certain amount skills on your hotbar. This is part the game just like the above feature it's all about making the perfect setup.

- Diablo Type game, The Game is not open its instanced but the game is meant for that it's suppose to be a diablo style game that you can play with yourself or with friends. The best part of GW is your not raiding every night and doing boring stuff like that your friends that you play in WoW you never really play with them you just are in the same guild. Well in GW you play with them they sign up and you guys level together or farm together it's a skill based game.

- ladders and tournaments.

- Challenge missions contain specific scoring objectives, such as holding out against progressive waves of enemies.

- Elite Missions, the ultimate cooperative challenge, provides new areas to the most powerful alliances.

- Competitive Missions bring together multiple teams to compete to control resource points and achieve strategic victory.

- Alliance Battles are large-scale, strategic PVP battles that allow factions to conquer new territory.

- 18 dungeons rife with traps, puzzles, and secret passages. Should you make it past these obstacles, you'll face foes more cunning and more powerful than anything you've seen before

- Inscription for weapons sort like weapon enchants.

- Missions sort like the Lore Books in LOTRO where they are epic quests. Tons of these btw!

- Trophies you can collect.

- Runes are special armor enhancements.

- Insignia more armor type enchantments lol.

- Special missions that are like Tower Defense like where you gotta stop wave after waves and they can be 4 to 8 players. Yes groups can be up to 8 players depending on the content.

Professions:

• Warrior Warrior

• Ranger Ranger

• Monk Monk

• Necromancer Necromancer

• Mesmer Mesmer

• Elementalist Elementalist

• Assassin Assassin

• Ritualist Ritualist

• Paragon Paragon

• Dervish Dervish

SNIP

I was hoping someone can help me add anything I'm missing and maybe list it for me if you don't mind <3 This to try convince my friend I want to epic out the list haha.

SNIP

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Spotted one thing wrong on your list: Hero battles are no longer available. They have been replaced by Codex Arena instead.

You may want to take a look at the official wiki or the unofficial wiki. The "new player" guides on the unofficial one may be beneficial when you are just starting out.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)