Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With all DUE respect, apparently very little.

Comments

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316

http://www.kbinternetlaw.com/falseadvertising.html

Read very carefully. Give away events make mmorpg subject to these laws, They are considered taxeable items.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/

Read again very carefully, Mmorpg.com is now breaking laws against consumer rights and threatens involvment of blizzard.

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by loreofchaos

Read very carefully. Give away events make mmorpg subject to these laws, They are considered taxeable items.

Read again very carefully, Mmorpg.com is now breaking laws against consumer rights and threatens involvment of blizzard.

Wow. Talk about reaching.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ElidienElidien Member RarePosts: 1,395

Wow, you really need to understand and learn law and what it means instead of quoting random websites. I will say it again - you have no standing. Go look up that while you are at it and figure out what it means.

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,934

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Unreal024

Originally posted by WSIMike

Good post, agree with everything said. If it's about "adapting to include a new genre of games" then why have sister sites for other genres? Hell, why isn't Path of Exile, Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2 listed?

D3 is not an MMO, now that that is out of the way. They will be covering TL2 they will be covering Skyrim, they will be covering many other "RPGS", they're also changing the game list to be filterable or something, all of this was covered in a few different articles here, a month or so back.

Being able to filter information is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change my point. They shouldn't cover any of those games, they shouldn't list any of the games I mentioned. They aren't MMOs and as such are not news worthy on an MMO site. There are plenty of MMOs that they don't cover, cover those instead. If they want to report on RPG news, that's great, but I think they should create a sister site for that purpose. Same as they did for the RTS and FPS genres.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,488

Please treat each other with civility and respect when posting on the forums, even if you strongly disagree with the views of another user. I'd like to leave this thread open, but if this starts devolving into personal attacks and the like we're going to have to lock it down.

Thanks guys.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

What is a mmorpg doing  creating FORUMS and gauging a RPG not a MMORPG, are you or are you not rpg? Are you falsely advertising what you represent? If so what would Crag the original creator of this site over 10 years ago think? Would you spit on his very own creation or is he doing it himself? I once spoke with the man who knew honor and mercy, but what he hell is this? you are not a rpg sight you are mmorpg you are BREACHING your own minor infractions remove this forum at once, you are out of line. Unless given specific reasons that this is a mmorpg instead of rpg which you won't unless you plan to lie to the entire world you have no businessn or reason of having a existing forum create another site meant for rpgs instead of mmorpgs if you want this here. 

MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff.

I need not say anymore these rules was wiritten by mmorpg's own staff.

OH GOD!  They added a game forum to their site!  Lets just entirely freak out about it. 

People were already discussing this game in great detail on this site long before the forum was opened.  The game is online only.  Its an RPG.  Its not exactly an mmorpg but its close enough.  Very close. 

You're actually mad about this?  What difference does it make?  It doesnt.  Its their site and they can darn well do what they please. 

Since your opinion is so important I guess mine is too.  So I think they made a good decision to add it.  Therefore my opinion cancels yours out.   Have a nice day. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Distopia

Good post, agree with everything said. If it's about "adapting to include a new genre of games" then why have sister sites for other genres? Hell, why isn't Path of Exile, Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2 listed?

D3 is not an MMO, now that that is out of the way. They will be covering TL2 they will be covering Skyrim, they will be covering many other "RPGS", they're also changing the game list to be filterable or something, all of this was covered in a few different articles here, a month or so back.

Being able to filter information is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change my point. They shouldn't cover any of those games, they shouldn't list any of the games I mentioned. They aren't MMOs and as such are not news worthy on an MMO site. There are plenty of MMOs that they don't cover, cover those instead. If they want to report on RPG news, that's great, but I think they should create a sister site for that purpose. Same as they did for the RTS and FPS genres.

It's their website. They can do whatever they want with it. They could name the site, "Strictly Information About What Is Accepted As a 'Classical' MMORPG", and then proceed to put information about 80's era adventure games.

I think they are doing just fine, and should continue with what they are doing.

** edit **
    The editor is kind of wonky though, and sometimes really borks posts, removing carriage returns and stuff like that. Other than that, they're doing OK.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I'm guessing you just failed to read the last part of my statement [mod edit], this site is hereby authorized subject to law. I have two cousins who are lawyers for consumer products, this site is breaking laws, and is subject to shut down. There is no argument here, there is no grey area, giveaway items are considered taxeable therefor considered a product just as any other taxable item is. Car house, hosting, does not matter any taxeable item has just targeted this site as well as breaking its own rules.

What are you talking about?  Are you must making this stuff up off the top of your head? 

This site is not a product.  Its a news source.  Its not a consumer product.  Did you know they literally asked the comminuty here if it would be okay to add it?  The response was positive so they did. 

You cant SUE them over it.  Lmao.  Amazing. 

• ElidienElidien Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by kilun

Originally posted by Senerius

OK  wow hmmm gee lets see....

Is Diablo 3 a rpg?  YES!  I don't think anyone disputes this.

Is Diablo 3 massively multiplayer online?    Hmmm Can alot of players play this game at the same time and does it require internet?  The answer is yes. 

Just because it doesn't meet what you think of as a MMORPG doesn't mean it doesn't litterally meet the Definition.

You might want to check the meaning before making a statement that is inaccurate just because it isn't what you think it should mean.

I am going based on the literal meaning of the terms not the generally accepted meaning.

But it doesn't literally meet the definition.

One of the core and essential elements of a MMORPG is thousands of people sharing the same persistent world at the same time.

Diablo 3 is not a persistent world, and you are not going to log into a server and see thousands of other people logged in as you would in, say, WoW.

So, no... Diablo 3 is most certainly not a MMORPG, by any definition.

Blizzard themself categorize Diablo 3 as an "Action RPG", while they classify WoW as a "MMORPG". Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you don't presume to know how Blizzard's games are classified better than they do.

It's funny... Prior to WoW making MMOs mainstream, people made and understood the clear distinction between a MMORPG, and a RPG that has optional multiplayer. It's a very obvious difference. Now all of a sudden, anything that has online and any amount of multiplayer is being referred to as a MMORPG. I've seen Unreal Tournament described as a MMORPG FFS.

As for the OP... they had a "poll" some time ago asking people whether they should add D3 to the game list or not. Personally, I think the poll was pure PR and nothing else. I would bet a month's pay they were adding it to the list regardless. The proverbial ink had barely dried on the poll results and they were already jumping into reconfiguring the site to accomodate Diablo 3 on the list.

As someone else mentioned - and I noted in my responses to Bill Murphy during the discussion about it back then - it's clearly a move on their part to bring more traffic to the site. Given D3's popularity, more traffic = more advertising $$$$ for them.

I mean, how many other action RPGs have released over the past few years? Did they poll people to add Dungeon Siege II or III, both in the same category as D3? Nope. Did they even so much as express an interest in adding those games? Nope. How about any of the other action RPGs released in the past couple years? Were they added or even mentioned? Nope. 

So... the Diablo 3 thing has nothing to do with "adapting to include a new genre of games"... because they could have done that a long time ago. It has everything to do with bringing in more advertising $$$ by having a high-profile name on their game roster. Plain and simple.

It just really irks me how they pretended to care what the members here thought by putting up that poll, as though the opinions of some people was going to override their desire to bring in more $$$. I highly doubt it.

The poll is irrelevant and I was unaware of this, but you can not clearly place rules of conduct and then disobey them. Falsley advertising your site as a mmorpg site instead of regular site, can still be placed in the same catagory, as is piracy no matter the means. Espacially with the gift events because its recognize as so. It legally offers the chance for this site to be shut down.

What are you talking about? First line of the rules and conduct state: "MMORPG.COM (a Web site operated wholly by Cyber Creations Inc.) provides this site as a resource for the MMORPG community"

About us states: MMORPG.com strives to bring you the best news, features and community in the MMORPG genre. If you are looking to contact MMORPG.com for any reason, you should be able to find out the appropriate person below.

So what part is false advertising? Can you not find information about MMO's on this site?  No where do I see a bullet that stated X,Y,Z will be are forums.  They have an Offtopic forum, they have a tech forum.

For example I sub to PC Gamer, they have articles about PC games.  But wait, they had an article about phone games for a while in each issue, FALSE ADVERTIISEMENT!  Seriously go try to win that one in a court of law as false advertisement, good luck.

I'm guessing you just failed to read the last part of my statement [mod edit], this site is hereby authorized subject to law. I have two cousins who are lawyers for consumer products, this site is breaking laws, and is subject to shut down. There is no argument here, there is no grey area, giveaway items are considered taxeable therefor considered a product just as any other taxable item is. Car house, hosting, does not matter any taxeable item has just targeted this site as well as breaking its own rules.

Listen to me carefully:

First, there is no causation or correlation between MMORPG.com adding a game that is a non-MMO to their list of games and any contest they run. Further, according to their rules, they can add any game they want. Moreso, they even asked the community and let the community decide.

Second, they are allowed to alter their rules. It is their site. They can add a game or remove a game. Any lawyer or court or judge would see that there is REASON for the admins to add Diablo 3 to this site.

Third, you have no standing to bring a suit nor would anyone. The adding of Diablo 3 did not harm you or cause you anguish in anyway. It did not cause you monetary loss or anything related. Therefore, you case is not justiciable and you cannot bring suit in a court of law. All you want is to make your point.

Next you will be saying that linking to their RTS and FPS sites is wrong too and against the law.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,779

I don't mind other sorts of games being discussed or reviewed on the site.  I want to hear about gaming and I would rather hear what this site has to say about them.  I'm primarily an MMO player, but I play other games and hearing what other MMO players think of other games interests me.  I would rather this perspective than hearing what single player or primarily console gamers think of a title.

I realize D3 isn't an MMO but it does have many of the elements of an MMO.  I would say multi-player Diablo has had an influence on the MMO industry.  Some early Lineage dungeons had a diablo feel to them.  Some MMOs I play (like LotRO and others) have gem slotting enhancements.

So while the game isn't an MMO in the truest sense of the word it does fit in and has contributed to the genre.  Discussing it isn't a sin.  I won't likely play it because I think the RMT thing is crap.  I'm a Torchlight fan.  I hope we'll get to talk about the next TL game here too.

If someone has a real concern as to why adding these types of games (and MOBAs) is bad, I would like to hear it.  So far I've only heard "X" game isn't an MMO and it shouldn't be here.  Why?

Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,307

*Looks around at the chaos that has ensued and makes a break for the door before it slams shut*

I like the fact it was put up to us to vote for it, legal or not. I'm not a lawyer or nothing but when i want an opinion on a game, i come here and post asking for one, and i usually get quite a few. Plus the majority of posters are familiar and i feel i can take their word for a game instead od seeing Joe-Schmoe's review of it

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,934

In the end it doesn't really matter much. As much as I agree with the OP that D3 doesn't belong here, I don't understand why he/she is so up in arms over it. Diablo 3 is just the latest non-MMO in a lengthy list of non-MMOs to be added to this site. Why complain now OP? Why not throw a fit when World of Tanks/War Planes/Battleships was added, or any of the MOBAs, or Guild Wars, or Vindictus?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182

I'm not an expert but I think you misunderstand how these "giveaways" are handled. The tangible item of interest isn't even in MMORPG's hands. The companies sponsoring these deals have control over said items. MMORPG is basically the messenger, same goes for Masively, Gamespot or anyone else offering these sweepstakes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

This is in indeed a very sad move for mmorpg.com we know have to handle even more blind Blizzardfanbois (most probably didn't even know the company before 2005) and now hack n slay Blizzard crowd.

Thought this site would be about MMORPGS but well I guess with crap like LoL added, the writting has been on the wall its really too bad :(

(sad sad panda)

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

OP thinks the world revolves around him.

Everyone that agreed with the OP are sheep.

Everyone that stated facts and put up with the BS the OP spat out this whole time, you people are the only reason I can put up with the world we live in.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Muhahaha. Accuse more.

Also you should have joined the discussion and the public vote to have or not have this forum at an earlier time.

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

One word will do.

Haters.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

lol

nuff said

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

This is a thread simply full of hate-mongering. Let's all just be friends and love each other. We are all part of the same community and need to start acting like it...

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Well he is free to speak hes mind.

I personally dont give a sh**.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG. That being said, I don't mind it having a section here... but they had damn well better give Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, Drakensang Online, Realm of the Mad God, etc. the same treatment! I mean, what makes them any less deserving than Diablo 3 (other than the fact their publishers don't have boatloads of money)?

Several of the games I listed are, IMO, closer to being MMO's than D3 (Realm of the Mad God IS an MMO, in fact), yet are largely ignored by this site. I think that bothers me far more than D3 having its own section. Pretty much proves that money is all that matters.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member RarePosts: 4,151

Originally posted by MikeB

Hi,

So we were on the fence about adding this game to the list and so what we did is we got community input involved by allowing users to vote on whether or not they wanted to see this game listed on MMORPG.com. I believe we let the poll run for something like a month, heck, it may even still be enabled. The tally as it currently stands is 59% for 41% against. That's a pretty clear margin in favor and so we went ahead and listened to what you guys said with your votes and added the game.

We appreciate your feedback and concerns but we ultimately left this decision up to you guys, the community, and you spoke loudly and clearly that you wanted Diablo III here at the site. Obviously, the 41% who voted against the decision are going to be unhappy with the decision, but I would imagine they were happy they had a chance to make their voice heard instead of us just adding the game or something like that.

I'll also add, for those that are concerned, that we are not planning to cover this game with the same priority as any MMOs. We just wanted to give you guys a space to discuss the game and cover some of the major news surrounding the game. We're not going to update you on every Diablo III patch or update, etc.

Thanks.

Have nothing against diablo 3 but if that's the case why you people never made these polls for single player games with multiplayer? some examples:

Neverwinter nights, dungeon siege, two worlds 1/2, etc etc

All of these classify if diablo 3 is am I right?

So explain me why only blizzard game got you people doubting if adding it or not.

If people remember long ago this very site was turned for a few days/weeks all ads of dragon age origins and not only the background picture but even some of the ui of the site.

To me that shows you care for the rules of your site but when money is involved you won't mind breaching these very same rules. (I know it's their site they can do whatever they want just this wont come without consequences in the future, some people might migrate to some other site and/or in the future this site will no longer be focused on mmorpgs only.)

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Well, if you are so sure of yourself, what don't you just sue them on that ground, then, rather than making empty forum threats? You might even make them pay for "psychological damage" since you seem to take this issue at heart.

Or perhaps you actually don't believe in what you are saying and are just throwing things in the air in a pathetic attempt to impress or threaten?

PS: If you chose to sue them, can you please let us know: A) how much you paid for your attorney, B) the outcome of the procedure? Thanks in advance.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 564

Originally posted by kilun

What is a mmorpg doing  creating FORUMS and gauging a RPG not a MMORPG, are you or are you not rpg? Are you falsely advertising what you represent? If so what would Crag the original creator of this site over 10 years ago think? Would you spit on his very own creation or is he doing it himself? I once spoke with the man who knew honor and mercy, but what he hell is this? you are not a rpg sight you are mmorpg you are BREACHING your own minor infractions remove this forum at once, you are out of line. Unless given specific reasons that this is a mmorpg instead of rpg which you won't unless you plan to lie to the entire world you have no businessn or reason of having a existing forum create another site meant for rpgs instead of mmorpgs if you want this here. 

MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff.

I need not say anymore these rules was wiritten by mmorpg's own staff.

Define MMORPG?  I bet you will get about 15 different answers.

Do you feel that Guild Wars belongs on this forum?

Why did you not post an uproar about WarRock for example which is a FPS by all intend purposes.

Why is LoL on the forums list but not HoN?

Seriously what is the difference between 20 people sitting in some city in an MMO waiting to queue up for an instance to where they will play by themselves and a chat interface doing the same thing?  Explain to me the difference.

Guild wars just claffified itself as a accepted term of mmorpg when 80 people are standing in front of a entrance at channel 1 with 500 people standing at the damn crafting station, before you think there really IS 15 answers maybe you best just think about what truly is questionable and what isn't, I don't know about a damn thing about warrock it isn't no Diable nor a blizzard product and honestly, I don't have the time of day to be checking out what is and isn't under its classification but diable 3 has clearly been stated by its OWN developers that it is NOT considered a mmorpg, it is a action rpg as it has always been there is no GREY in this son. If you have a problem with how reality places with a grey go to a place where such arguments are valid this is a black and white matter, and its own stamp of approval has not only been known through out the damn world but recongize by wiki as well as its creator for over 10 years now. Mmorpg.com its violating its own rules. Hypocracy is no excuse and questioning a non grey area makes you look utterly the fool.

If Blizzard specifically states that Diablo 3 is not an MMORPG then I'm forced to agree with you.  However, claiming that adding an action rpg to an mmorpg site is an act of tyranny is dramatic and baseless.  In today's world when RPGs of all natures are blurring the lines of RPG classifications then we would be foolish to ignore them because of a literal interpretation of the term MMO.  Truely, one of the strongest "powers" of culture is to take language and change it.

In my recent experiences in playing games like WoW, Warhammer, and Guild Wars I find it impossible to ignore the similarities with my other experiences in games like Diablo, Sacred, or even Demon's Souls.  As our MMOs evolve there are many "mainstream" titles who boast a significant amount of gameplay that relies on a "lobby" based system, the very system that games such as Diablo and Sacred have been built around for years.  At the same time we watch games like Diablo 3 enhance the features of their "lobbies" to a point where the only difference is the graphical interface does not require you to run from point A to point B.  Let's take it a step further and examine a game that is surely an "action RPG", Demon's Souls.  For those that take part in the online play, the world is their "lobby" and one can interact with online players without speaking a word or ever "joining" their game. 

In conclusion I think to consider the possibilities of including other online RPGs on the site is a sign of evolution and polling the userbase helps gauge the trend of our culture.  Lets try to not turn the RPG world into another PC vs Console or CoD vs Battlefield war with stubborn idealogy.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 564

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Originally posted by MikeB

Hi,

So we were on the fence about adding this game to the list and so what we did is we got community input involved by allowing users to vote on whether or not they wanted to see this game listed on MMORPG.com. I believe we let the poll run for something like a month, heck, it may even still be enabled. The tally as it currently stands is 59% for 41% against. That's a pretty clear margin in favor and so we went ahead and listened to what you guys said with your votes and added the game.

We appreciate your feedback and concerns but we ultimately left this decision up to you guys, the community, and you spoke loudly and clearly that you wanted Diablo III here at the site. Obviously, the 41% who voted against the decision are going to be unhappy with the decision, but I would imagine they were happy they had a chance to make their voice heard instead of us just adding the game or something like that.

I'll also add, for those that are concerned, that we are not planning to cover this game with the same priority as any MMOs. We just wanted to give you guys a space to discuss the game and cover some of the major news surrounding the game. We're not going to update you on every Diablo III patch or update, etc.

Thanks.

Have nothing against diablo 3 but if that's the case why you people never made these polls for single player games with multiplayer? some examples:

Neverwinter nights, dungeon siege, two worlds 1/2, etc etc

All of these classify if diablo 3 is am I right?

So explain me why only blizzard game got you people doubting if adding it or not.

If people remember long ago this very site was turned for a few days/weeks all ads of dragon age origins and not only the background picture but even some of the ui of the site.

To me that shows you care for the rules of your site but when money is involved you won't mind breaching these very same rules. (I know it's their site they can do whatever they want just this wont come without consequences in the future, some people might migrate to some other site and/or in the future this site will no longer be focused on mmorpgs only.)

I enjoy all of the games you mention but I think the userbase in their current incarnations has shrunk to a point where they aren't paid much attention in these discussions.  Alternatively when the originals were released (I think they were much more popular back then) there was a much more difinitive line between MMORPG and single/multiplayer RPGs.  Since that time many more MMOs have included some sort of lobby system to their game and the single player RPGs are receiving much more multiplayer attention.  I think if neverwinter were released tomorrow this thread could very well be in a Neverwinter forum on the site.

This discussion has been closed.